ADVERTISEMENT

Hey DanvilleSportsHead or other Rams people...

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
I was just wondering what was your take on this year's woes and poor performance by the Rams. As a VCU fan, I am getting concerned. DSH you seem to have a good pulse on what is happening.

The last two games have been abysmal by the Rams. Coach Rhoades keeps trying to reshape the narrative in a positive way (I guess what else can he do, right?). However, it is getting worse not better.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
1) It looks really doubtful that VCU makes the dance (thus breaking an amazing steak, like 7 or so appearances).

2) This is what concerns me the most- if the Rams continue to fall, people will stop going to games in the current numbers - energy, atmosphere and excitement will decline.

VCU will lose the fantastic TV coverage as interest will wane.

The VCU experience and spectacle are some of the big draws for new recruits. If things do not improve, we could be looking at a downward spiral that may gain negative momentum.

Thoughts? Should we keep confidence in Rhoades (1st year at VCU, many coaching changes etc.)?

Are the glory days over or is this just a temporary pause in the Rams success story?

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I texted Dinwiddie Proud on Wednesday afternoon that we would lose to Richmond. I’m not a happy Ram alum right now. The thing is, these guys have no pride. VCU is a very prideful school and we take our basketball very very very seriously. A lot of people risked their lives in the ice Wednesday night to go watch them play a big time rival ..No one on that team showed up. I don’t expect to win every game, however, I expect effort. Too many guys going partying and not utilizing that 25 million dollar practice facility. We also have a bunch of selfish guys on our team. Worried about the fancy play and not what’s going to help their team win. You can tell that there is a lot of friction in that locker room. Definitely another culture here now that Shaka and his players are gone. Guys like Jordan Burgess, Doug Brooks, Jequan Lewis, Treveon Graham, Troy Daniels and Bri Weber put a lot of blood sweat and tears to keep this program afloat after our Final 4 run. VCU dropped the ball when they didn’t hire Kevin Keatts when Shaka first left. I’m not a huge believer in Mike Rhoades. He’s a good man, he’s a huge character coach and I believe he’s loyal, however Keatts was the guy to take VCU to the next level. Lynchburg native who wanted to be here. He’s going to bring NC State a couple of National Championships. We’ll be lucky for a NIT big this year. I’ll give more later, I’m in line to watch the Rams play the GW Colonials. Should be a win, but you never know with this team.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Thanks for the insight.

Yes, VCU should win today but confidence is waning....

I really hope that you enjoy the game!
Thanks brother! I don’t enjoy the games like I once did. I hate to sound like a grumpy old man but VCU has really disappointed me this year. We’re winning games but they are ugly. Not dominant like we once were. To answer your questions
1) It looks really doubtful that VCU makes the dance (thus breaking an amazing steak, like 7 or so appearances).
-Though it doesn’t look good, don’t count the Rams out. We’ve been to the A-10 championship every year we’ve been in the conference. Rams will have home court advantage in DC this year and thousands of Ram fans have filled the arena in Pittsburgh and Brooklyn, if the Rams are fortunate enough to make championship Sunday, the attendance record will be broken in DC.

2) This is what concerns me the most- if the Rams continue to fall, people will stop going to games in the current numbers - energy, atmosphere and excitement will decline.
-True but unlikely. VCU is Richmond’s professional team. I thought the streak would be over against Liberty in 16 but it didn’t happen. Plus, the tickets that don’t sell are bought by one of the companies in Richmond to keep the sellouts going.

VCU will lose the fantastic TV coverage as interest will wane.
-Already has happened. It’s sad when the VCU/UR game is only being shown on Stadium which does a Facebook live broadcast.

The VCU experience and spectacle are some of the big draws for new recruits. If things do not improve, we could be looking at a downward spiral that may gain negative momentum.
-One of the reasons I like Mike Rhoades is that he believes in Local talent. He’s offered Poindexter from Louisa...Bacote, Coleman, and Wade (who signed with OFwho)..and one of the St. Catherine’s kids (forget his name). I think all Rhoades has to do is win. Kids want to come to VCU but we need to continue winning.

Thoughts? Should we keep confidence in Rhoades (1st year at VCU, many coaching changes etc.)?
-I’m a Keatts fan but he’s happy in Raleigh. Who else is going to give the Rams the same type of loyalty? We’ve had 3 coaches in 4 years, including a coach who told Demonte Buckingham that he wasn’t good enough to play for the VCU Rams.

Are the glory days over or is thisjust a temporary pause in the Rams success story?
-March starts a pivotal moment in VCU’s future. Win the A-10 tourney and at least show up in the NCAA’s and these dark times are forgotten. If we don’t make the Dance , win the NIT and I think this is a good year. Anything less will affect a lot this offseason as far as transfers and recruiting.

My best guess is that we make the NIT this year and at least get to the championship game. I’d like to hear what @anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b thinks.

Reactions: uvacavs1
I saw this coming. We're seeing the negatives of being such a "player's coach". Rhoades's best year defensively at Rice was his first year. So I already expected our offense to be good and defense to be bad, and that we'd have to outscore teams. Plus our on-ball defense as a whole has been bad for YEARS anyway, we just had Alie-Cox to clean up mistakes and protect the rim. Now that he's gone, everything is just magnified. Hopefully sooner or later our guys decide to play defense all game, every game. There are no words to describe that Dayton performance.

I'm already just taking the season as it comes, so any postseason appearance and I'll be satisfied. But if not, then hopefully we can get some more "defense first" guys and a rim protector to blend in with the shooters/scorers we'll have next year. This year is very easily a down/transition year in all phases.

Last edited:
Indeed Hoos. Next stretch is going to determine a lot. On the road at St. Louis tomorrow who as I discussed with Hoos that I thought coming into year was one of the top teams in the A-10. They beat Virginia Tech although they suspended like 4 players but have not lived up to the expectations. Mason on Saturday then a huge one against Rhody at the Stu. We then go to UR and play Dayton at home. Huge! Not to mention we have Davidson after we play Dayton. The next 6 games will show what this team is made of. BTW, there’s a nice article in the RTD about the Rams coming together after the UR game.

VCU players aired grievances, motivated each other in players-only meeting after UR loss

http://www.richmond.com/sports/coll...cle_b1607b62-fe69-11e7-930a-c79f21485996.html

(Via RTD)

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
I cannot argue with you guys. This is the most undisciplined team I have seen in years at VCU. You don't need to score and you turn it over rushing to the basket. Numerous opportunities to put the game away, but no the Rams let the Spiders back in the game. Yes, their point guard was out and could have likely handled the game a bit better, but this performance was ridiculous. Almost threw my remote through the TV! I feel for you DSH and Hoos. My buddy who is a long time season ticket holder at VCU said he was thinking about giving up his seats.

I cannot argue with you guys. This is the most undisciplined team I have seen in years at VCU. You don't need to score and you turn it over rushing to the basket. Numerous opportunities to put the game away, but no the Rams let the Spiders back in the game. Yes, their point guard was out and could have likely handled the game a bit better, but this performance was ridiculous. Almost threw my remote through the TV! I feel for you DSH and Hoos. My buddy who is a long time season ticket holder at VCU said he was thinking about giving up his seats.
Navy, we actually played better without our PG Johnny Williams. He's an energy guy at best, not a high level college PG. It's like having Doug Brooks be your "go to" offensive player, it just doesn't work. As much as I disliked the cocky and arrogant Samir Doughty, who transferred to Auburn, we could've used him. Issac Vann was hyped up to be the next best thing and he has shown flashes of a solid player, only to be wiped away with foolish shots and turnovers. I say we go into next year mode. We don't have a shot at the NIT and we won't make the NCAA's unless Rhode Island and Bonnie's just decide to take the wrong exit to D.C. and forfeit. Play Tyler Maye ( Hoos, I think he will transfer), play Djonkam more, and let Santos-Silva and Mobley run the show. Xavier Jackson (will also probably transfer) played extremely well and Rhodes cut his minutes when Vann and Crowfield retuned from injury. Jenkins (hate to say it, but he's gone after this season) is head and shoulders our best player and he barely shoots it due to Vann and Williams trying to make the spectacular play (1 vs. 3). I just don't like the direction this is going. This is the most talented team we've had since '14 and we're 4 games over .500 and it's February. We're not used to this on Broad St. I know Hoos isn't used to this as he experienced the REAL VCU teams of the later 2000s/early 2010s first hand.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
We lost another tonight to Davidson. Mike Rhodes has been out coached many times this year. 26 games and I'm not buying the inexperience thing. Guys are disinterested and we're going to lose some key players to transfer. VCU fans are senile, we're not the same VCU. Sad to say, we could be going in the direction of George Mason if we don't find a new athletic director and coach! For one, we should've made the jump to the AAC this past year.. 2 we pasted up some very good coaches for a 2 year rental and a friendship hire. King Rice, Kevin Keatts, LeVelle Moton, Tom Crean..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT