ADVERTISEMENT

History

Gunz41

VaPreps All Region
Sep 22, 2007
Stuarts Draft VA
The threads about districts and champions got me thinking, I wonder what highest number of districts a for a single team.

Also on districts, how many districts have been consolidated, renamed, or removed all together.

And along those lines, the number of regular season opponents a team has had (not just a one off, but district and/or yearly game).

It kind of goes hand in hand with some of the realigning and numbers conversion, but what is the highest and lowest classification a single team has made a deep run in playoffs (ie. regional final at least)

Reactions: obguthr
In answer to the last question, I believe that Richlands has made state title game appearances in 2, 3, and 4A.

The Lonesome Pine District, Highlands and Clinch Mountain districts are gone. The Mountain district was renamed to the Mountain 7.

I wonder if the VHSL has their records back to their beginning? Just the question of Districts that have come and gone would be neat to know.

I wonder if a VHSL member school has ever played more than 15 football games in a season?

I wonder if the VHSL has their records back to their beginning? Just the question of Districts that have come and gone would be neat to know.

I wonder if a VHSL member school has ever played more than 15 football games in a season?

More than 15, I dont believe so.

The other stuff just is really interesting. I know Stuarts Draft has moved around A LOT. Back from mid 90s at least 3 and possibly 4 districts. Cant remember right off hand. And deep in playoffs in A, 3a, 2a. And I have been to over 50 different stadiums, and only a few were not games involving SD

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
It seems to stick in my brain that back in the 70s or 80s, there was an Alleghany Highlands District that had something like 13 teams in it. But I could be wrong. It would have contained some Augusta County schools and probably most of what is now the Pioneer District. It might have even included schools like Clifton Forge, Lexington and Natural Bridge that do not even exist anymore.

I believe now districts are only for scheduling purposes.

All in all, the VHSL isn't what it was several years ago. It has taken a turn for the worse, in my opinion.

Reactions: toughy299
Here's some district changes that I can recall at least somewhat:
1. Peanut and York River - which combined into the Bay Rivers in the 80's. I think there may have been a Black River District too but not sure.
2. Great Falls, Northern, Potomac and Gunston - this was the old AAA Northern Region setup that was replaced by Concorde, Patriot, Liberty, and National. Potomac and Gunston have made recent comebacks.
3. Monument - late 60's, had Gar-Field, Woodbridge, St Jackson, old Osbourn (now Osbourn Park), Brentsville and George Mason
4. Southside - AA district that went away about 4 to 6 years ago?
5. Evergreen - AAA district that went away about 4 or 5 years ago?
6. Wasn't the Valley District split into the Southern Valley and Northern Valley Districts for a few years earlier this decade?
7. Can't forget the AAA Roanoke Valley and Western Districts, and later they combined into the Western Valley.
8. New River - was that an AA or A district?
9. Skyline - had Madison, Page, Luray, plus ?

My alma matter has been in the same district for 48 years, has been the only survivor of the original district setup since at least '93 I think. Boring!

That was a fun brain exercise, trip down memory lane, good questions to bring up Gunz!

Here's some district changes that I can recall at least somewhat:
1. Peanut and York River - which combined into the Bay Rivers in the 80's. I think there may have been a Black River District too but not sure.
2. Great Falls, Northern, Potomac and Gunston - this was the old AAA Northern Region setup that was replaced by Concorde, Patriot, Liberty, and National. Potomac and Gunston have made recent comebacks.
3. Monument - late 60's, had Gar-Field, Woodbridge, St Jackson, old Osbourn (now Osbourn Park), Brentsville and George Mason
4. Southside - AA district that went away about 4 to 6 years ago?
5. Evergreen - AAA district that went away about 4 or 5 years ago?
6. Wasn't the Valley District split into the Southern Valley and Northern Valley Districts for a few years earlier this decade?
7. Can't forget the AAA Roanoke Valley and Western Districts, and later they combined into the Western Valley.
9. Skyline - had Madison, Page, Luray, plus ?

My alma matter has been in the same district for 48 years, has been the only survivor of the original district setup since at least '93 I think. Boring!

That was a fun brain exercise, trip down memory lane, good questions to bring up Gunz!

Skyline was one that SD used to be in. There was quite a few good teams back then.

Stuarts Draft has been all over the central Va map for regular season games and districts.

Like I stated, a few years ago I counted it up and had been to well over 50 stadiums for games. Of course a few were 1 off playoff games, a few were other games I had been to over the years not involving them, but I would make a guess on 35-40 being regular season games, but I could be wrong.

There are quite a few that stand out in my head (good and bad reasons), but still think by far the biggest highlight for me, and I am sure the teams to was playing at JMU for a regular season game. Having to use an elevator to get to the press box was pretty cool, and having the all access pass. But it was harder than any other game being so far away from the action

The NRD was a AA district that went defunct after the 93-94 school year when Radford dropped drop to A the next year leaving Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Carroll Co as the last 3 members. Them dropping down combined with Glenvar leaving the Pioneer District is what led to the MED being split into the Three Rivers and Mountain Empire Districts.

The Skyline District from 84 through the early to mid 90s was Wilson Memorial, Stuart's Draft, Riverheads, Buffalo Gap, Luray, William Monroe and Madison County. Page may have been in it before 84, I don't remember. It always seemed odd to me that Luray was in it but Page was not.

Longtime mentioned the Allegheny Highlands District, which I think had the Augusta County teams I mentioned, Bath and Highland, Clifton Forge, maybe the Rockbridge County schools?

One thing I don't remember is where Elkton and Montevideo (consolidated into Spotswood) played.

I believe the mid 80s version of the AAA Western District was:

Albemarle
Charlottesville
Amherst
Glass
Heritage
Halifax
GW Danville

The AA Seminole of that era looked a lot different too - I’m thinking 10 schools?

Brookville
Altavista
Rustburg
William Campbell
JF
Liberty-Bedford
Staunton River
Nelson County
Buckingham
Appomattox

The Skyline District from 84 through the early to mid 90s was Wilson Memorial, Stuart's Draft, Riverheads, Buffalo Gap, Luray, William Monroe and Madison County. Page may have been in it before 84, I don't remember. It always seemed odd to me that Luray was in it but Page was not.

Longtime mentioned the Allegheny Highlands District, which I think had the Augusta County teams I mentioned, Bath and Highland, Clifton Forge, maybe the Rockbridge County schools?

One thing I don't remember is where Elkton and Montevideo (consolidated into Spotswood) played.

Sorry I did not quote properly a minute ago. Anyway, I did find a reference to the old Alleghany-Highlands district. It did have 13 teams in it in the 1974-75 school year. They were the 5 Augusta County schools, VSD, James River, Natural Bridge, Parry McCluer, Rockbridge (meaning the old one just west of Fairfield), New Castle (now known as Craig County), Bath, and Highland. The district only lasted two years and VSD dropped out after just one year, meaning there were "only" 12 teams in 1975-76.

Riverheads, built in 1962, started out in the old District Five, which lasted 8 seasons. Then there was the miserable four-year experiment (1970-74) where the county schools were thrown in with the much-larger and much-tougher (at the time anyway) Valley District schools.

RHS then spent time in various incarnations of the Shenandoah, the Skyline, and the Pioneer. I guess our current tenure in the Shenandoah is the longest we have stayed in one district.

Montevideo and Elkton were part of old Sklyline...Stonewall Jackson was also in there along with Strasburg in the 70's ....this was prior to Augusta County schools arrival

The NRD was a AA district that went defunct after the 93-94 school year when Radford dropped drop to A the next year leaving Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Carroll Co as the last 3 members. Them dropping down combined with Glenvar leaving the Pioneer District is what led to the MED being split into the Three Rivers and Mountain Empire Districts.

Were Giles and Narrows in that district? I know Narrows used to be AA prior to the 1986 switch from 3 classifications to 6 classifications.

Were Giles and Narrows in that district? I know Narrows used to be AA prior to the 1986 switch from 3 classifications to 6 classifications.

Yes. Narrows and Giles were members of the NRD for most of it's existance. Narrows left and joined the MED beginning in the 88-89 school year and Giles left and joined the MED also beginning in 90-91. They stayed in the same district in the MED until the Three Rivers was formed from the split mentioned earlier in the thread. MED was to be a Div 1 district and TRD a Div 2 but it didn't work out that way with Fort, Grayson, Shawsville, and Auburn wanting to go where they went for various reasons. Mostly travel from what I can remember.

Reactions: toughy299

I believe the skyline started the 82 season for Riverheads

Sorry I did not quote properly a minute ago. Anyway, I did find a reference to the old Alleghany-Highlands district. It did have 13 teams in it in the 1974-75 school year. They were the 5 Augusta County schools, VSD, James River, Natural Bridge, Parry McCluer, Rockbridge (meaning the old one just west of Fairfield), New Castle (now known as Craig County), Bath, and Highland. The district only lasted two years and VSD dropped out after just one year, meaning there were "only" 12 teams in 1975-76.

Riverheads, built in 1962, started out in the old District Five, which lasted 8 seasons. Then there was the miserable four-year experiment (1970-74) where the county schools were thrown in with the much-larger and much-tougher (at the time anyway) Valley District schools.

RHS then spent time in various incarnations of the Shenandoah, the Skyline, and the Pioneer. I guess our current tenure in the Shenandoah is the longest we have stayed in one district.

Do you recall District O (or was it 0..I've seen both listed in old papers..) which, during the 60's had two football playing schools in it: Valley and VSDB.

I want to say that old Troutville and Dunlap was in that district at some point as well, along with a slew of non-football playing schools.

Bill Wise's book "Augusta County Boys Basketball History" shows Riverheads having a two-year tenure in the Pioneer. They joined in the fall of 1980, with PM, NB, JR, CF, Bath, NC, and R'bridge. In the fall of 1982, they joined the Skyline, shifting their focus from playing south of Greenville to north, where they have been ever since.

Yes. Narrows and Giles were members of the NRD for most of it's existance. Narrows left and joined the MED beginning in the 88-89 school year and Giles left and joined the MED also beginning in 90-91. They stayed in the same district in the MED until the Three Rivers was formed from the split mentioned earlier in the thread. MED was to be a Div 1 district and TRD a Div 2 but it didn't work out that way with Fort, Grayson, Shawsville, and Auburn wanting to go where they went for various reasons. Mostly travel from what I can remember.
Galax and Fort Chiswell were also part of the old NRD, as well as Pulaski and Dublin before consolidating to form Pulaski County. There was some great history in that district.

Galax and Fort Chiswell were also part of the old NRD, as well as Pulaski and Dublin before consolidating to form Pulaski County. There was some great history in that district.

This is why I have said multiple times that I would love to see this district reborn. Granted Blacksburg and Pulaski Co. aren't quite small enough but pretty much everyone else from that old district is now Class 2 or 1. Christiansburg and Carroll Co. would probably be close enough in enrollment to make it in and make it work.

Old School, late 1980's districts

Peanut District-
Forest Glen, Franklin, John Kennedy, Northampton, Southampton, Smithfield, John Yeates

Southside District-
Bluestone, Brunswick, Greensville County, Matoaka, Park View-South Hill, Randolph-Henry, Nottoway

York District-
Bruton, Gloucester, York, Tabb, Poquoson

Northwestern District-
Warren County, Park View-Sterling, Osbourn, Loudoun Valley and Loudoun County, John Handley, Broad Run

Battlefield District-
Spotsylvania, Orange County, James Monroe, Louisa, King George, Culpeper County, Courtland, Chancellor, Caroline

Highlands District-
Gate City, Abingdon, John Battle, Lee County, Marion, Virginia

Piedmont District-
Laurel Park, Magna Vista, Martinsville, Patrick County, Tunstall, Dan River, Chatham, Bassett, Fieldale-Colinsville

Old Indian 81: “Here's some district changes that I can recall at least somewhat:

1. Peanut and York River - which combined into the Bay Rivers in the 80's. I think there may have been a Black River District too but not sure.”

The district you recall was actually the Group A Blackwater District which existed for two years (1988-89 and 1989-90 school years) It was composed of Sussex Central, Windsor, Surry County and Suffolk.

In Region A, the Northern Neck and Tidewater districts have been around since the beginning. But, both districts have multiple former members. Staples of the NND have been Essex, Lancaster, Northumberland, Rappahannock and Washington & Lee although W&L had a couple brief stints in the Battlefield District as Group AA. Colonial Beach is an original NND member but played in independent leagues for years until returning fully to VHSL competition in 2007. The only school that has been a member of the Tidewater District since the beginning is West Point. King William, King & Queen Central, Mathews, Middlesex and Charles City roots date back to the original Tidewater District and those five schools are current members.

Former NND members include Brentsville, Ladysmith (now defunct), Bowling Green (now defunct, combined with Ladysmith to form Caroline), Manassas Park, King George, Middlesex, King William, Mathews, King & Queen Central, and James Monroe.

Former Tidewater District members are Poquoson, Windsor, Surry County, New Kent, Suffolk (now defunct), Sussex Central, and Colonial Beach.

I think I got them all!

This is a great thread. I had been working on compiling a history of district affiliations. This fills in some holes for me. Thanks Gunz!

If you guys want to see a very impressive piece of work - go check out my friend Rick Baker’s new website. He has compiled *almost complete* historical records for each school in Virginia and West Virginia that ever has had a football team. Rick has been working on compiling these records over the last decade and I can’t say enough about the work he’s put into it. Go to www.fourseasonsfootball.com and click on the picture of the state of Virginia, then you’ll see the list of all the schools.

Click the about tab before you leave and it has Rick’s contact info. Send him a email and let him know what you think!

Reactions: pizzzzza
Late 80's, Div 1 and Div 2 districts. I guess that would be Class 1A and 2A equivalent today.
Blackwater- Sulfolk, Surry, Sussex, Windsor
Eastern Short- Arcadia, Chincoteague, Nandua
Northern Neck-Colonial Beach, Essex, Lancaster, Northumberland, Rappahannock, Washington and Lee
Tidewater-Charles City, King & Queen, King William, Mattews, Middlesex, New Kent, West Point
Bull Run District-Brentsville, Central (W), Clarke County, Stonewall Jackson, Manassas Park, George Mason, Page County, Strasburg
James River District-Amelia, Central-Lunenburg, Cumberland, Fluvanna County, Goochland, Powhatan, Prince Edward
Skyline District- Buffalo Gap, William Monroe, Luray, Madison County, Riverheads, Stuarts Draft, Wilson Mem.
Black Diamond-Hurley, Haysi, Honaker, Pocahontas, St. Paul, Garden
Cumberland-Ervington, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Thomas Walker
Lonesome Pine-Appalachia, JI Burton, Clintwood, Coeburn, JJ Kelly, Pound, Powell Valley

Other Late 80s Districts
Hogoheegee- Rural Retreat, Northwood, Holston, Patrick Henry (Glade Spring), Chilhowie, Castlewood
Mountain Empire- Auburn, Floyd, Fort Chiswell, Galax, Grayson County, Narrows, Shawsville
Pioneer District- Bath County, Covington, Craig County, Glenvar, James River, Perry McCluer, Lexington, Natural Bridge, Rockbridge

One final note-Lafayette used to be part of the Peninsula District until approximately the mid 90's when they dropped in classification. That's the old Triple A district (todays equivalent of primarily Class 5A and 6A schools with the exception of Phoebus, which use to be 5A. The Peninsula is of course, one of the more historical and famous districts known throughout the state and home of the Hampton Crabbers. I think Phoebus is now Class 3A. They've dropped two classifications in the last 10 years, and Phoebus has had 2 nationally ranked (USA Today) top 10 finishes in the last 18 years. That's huge drop in size and status from going from that, to a current class 3A school. I think Phoebus is Class 3A still, they may have moved back up to 4A, I don't know.

Last edited:
Rick has done tremendous work and I'm more than glad to say he has been a big help to me in my research and I hope I've been able to help him some as well.

Reactions: eh31
Just from a quick glance at my school, I am amazed at Rick Baker's work. You would think just keeping up with a few teams to this degree would be a major job but every school in the state???? Wowza!

I do have a question and maybe I should e-mail him privately, but his review for Riverheads makes it sound as if they did not play a true home game in the first year of existence (1962). I was not attending games yet, so I wondered if that meant that the school opened without having an official football field yet?

Just from a quick glance at my school, I am amazed at Rick Baker's work. You would think just keeping up with a few teams to this degree would be a major job but every school in the state???? Wowza!

I do have a question and maybe I should e-mail him privately, but his review for Riverheads makes it sound as if they did not play a true home game in the first year of existence (1962). I was not attending games yet, so I wondered if that meant that the school opened without having an official football field yet?

I have a feeling he's gonna get overwhelmed pretty quick with emails lol. Excellent website. In case he doesnt have a chance to get back to you, a quick glance at the 1963 Riverheads yearbook I will quote the following: "Although the football field was incomplete the Gladiators came up with several achievements, they were the first of the new schools to win a game and they produced a high scoring star, Norman Coyner, who made 12 touchdowns"... not bad a for a 6 game season. Anyway, that does make it sound like the field wasnt there yet.

Reactions: eh31
The threads about districts and champions got me thinking, I wonder what highest number of districts a for a single team.

Also on districts, how many districts have been consolidated, renamed, or removed all together.

And along those lines, the number of regular season opponents a team has had (not just a one off, but district and/or yearly game).

It kind of goes hand in hand with some of the realigning and numbers conversion, but what is the highest and lowest classification a single team has made a deep run in playoffs (ie. regional final at least)

Gunz - on here after a much needed break from here - but now starting to get in the mood for some high school football.

I hope you're having a good summer!

I just wanted to let you know that if you need access to just about any year - any district - just let me know - I have any info you might need.

If you guys want to see a very impressive piece of work - go check out my friend Rick Baker’s new website. He has compiled *almost complete* historical records for each school in Virginia and West Virginia that ever has had a football team. Rick has been working on compiling these records over the last decade and I can’t say enough about the work he’s put into it. Go to www.fourseasonsfootball.com and click on the picture of the state of Virginia, then you’ll see the list of all the schools.

Click the about tab before you leave and it has Rick’s contact info. Send him a email and let him know what you think!

Very impressive!

Thanks for sharing that link!

This goes back a long ways, but off the top of my head - when Lee Staunton was moved into the Western District back in 1970, I seem to remember there being 14 teams total:

Division A:
Franklin County
Cave Spring
William Fleming
Patrick Henry
Northside
Lee
Andrew Lewis
Jefferson

Division B:
GW - Danville
Halifax
EC Glass
Martinsvile
Amherst
Liberty

I always thought it was an odd placement - considering Lee was the only non-Roanoke area team in the district.

But sure does bring back a lot of good memories.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT