ADVERTISEMENT

Home Field Advantage

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
I know this is a fall board, but did anyone notice Liberty Christian will be playing a 4a semi final and possibly a final baseball game in their home stadium.

They obviously earned it, but knowing the field gives them a huge edge. Any opinions?

I know this is a fall board, but did anyone notice Liberty Christian will be playing a 4a semi final and possibly a final baseball game in their home stadium.

They obviously earned it, but knowing the field gives them a huge edge. Any opinions?
This was one of the complaints of their admission into the VHSL. They also have a 6'6" hurler who I've heard on another board is a 5th yr Sr. A couple of years ago they got some players from Amherst & other area schools. I'm not sure if they've graduated or if they are part of this team. We'll see if the rest of 4A can knock off the "ringers" I think there is still some pretty tough competition standing in the way.

This won't happen next year as the spring jubilee of sports is moving away from LU.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
This was one of the complaints of their admission into the VHSL. They also have a 6'6" hurler who I've heard on another board is a 5th yr Sr. A couple of years ago they got some players from Amherst & other area schools. I'm not sure if they've graduated or if they are part of this team. We'll see if the rest of 4A can knock off the "ringers" I think there is still some pretty tough competition standing in the way.

This won't happen next year as the spring jubilee of sports is moving away from LU.
Interesting info Mike. Hanover should give them a game. They destroyed Jamestown last week. Not sure if Jamestown threw their stud prospect, but Hanover can rake. Pitching is good too.

The Liberty University baseball stadium is not their home field. They have their own field.

More of a concern is the fact that they have re-classed (5th year) and recruited athletes competing against teams that aren't allowed to re-class or recruit. VHSL should be ashamed that they let this happen. Certainly not a fair playing field.

The Liberty University baseball stadium is not their home field. They have their own field.

More of a concern is the fact that they have re-classed (5th year) and recruited athletes competing against teams that aren't allowed to re-class or recruit. VHSL should be ashamed that they let this happen. Certainly not a fair playing field.
Thanks for the clarification on the playing field. I agree with you about the recruiting and the re-classing, those are obvious unfair advantages if they are still doing this. I thought their admission into the VHSL was supposed to eliminate both. Their area is supposed to be Lynchburg city only and no more 5th year Sr's. If it's proven they are still doing these things in any sport they should be banned from post season play in that sport or other comparable punishments. I think their admission has created a lot of buzz, but it seems to be all negative. (If they are still doing the things alleged by many people) I don't have a problem with them being in the VHSL as long as they are required to follow the same rules and are held accountable if they don't. I want the buzz to be about their performance on the field vs public schools, not that they're playing by different rules. There should be a level playing field for all.

Mike,

They can no longer re-class, recruit or offer scholarships to LU. However, previously re-classed, recruited and scholarship athletes are grandfathered until they graduate. They currently even have re-classed athletes playing as "sophomores" so this issue will be around for a couple more years. Their current ace pitcher is currently playing in his 5th year, committed to LSU but likely will not go there as he is projected to be a low MLB draft pick.

Their QB will also be playing next year as a 5th year senior but honestly, they don't have much and will struggle to compete in 4a.

I can't even mention them anymore without getting upset. Got into a discussion today with someone from LCA about their pitcher being 19 and they said he wasn't but he is. I guess as long as they can get by with it so be it. It just makes me sick and will never cheer for them. Go Kettle Run

Reactions: CRF4Dan
I can't even mention them anymore without getting upset. Got into a discussion today with someone from LCA about their pitcher being 19 and they said he wasn't but he is. I guess as long as they can get by with it so be it. It just makes me sick and will never cheer for them. Go Kettle Run

He is 19, but will be 20 soon....

The Kettle Run game really doesn't mean much. Neither team is going to be throwing their best with states on Friday. In any case I'll be pulling for LCA on this one after the horrendous screwing JF got from the umps at Kettle run....

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Thanks for the clarification on the playing field. I agree with you about the recruiting and the re-classing, those are obvious unfair advantages if they are still doing this. I thought their admission into the VHSL was supposed to eliminate both. Their area is supposed to be Lynchburg city only and no more 5th year Sr's. If it's proven they are still doing these things in any sport they should be banned from post season play in that sport or other comparable punishments. I think their admission has created a lot of buzz, but it seems to be all negative. (If they are still doing the things alleged by many people) I don't have a problem with them being in the VHSL as long as they are required to follow the same rules and are held accountable if they don't. I want the buzz to be about their performance on the field vs public schools, not that they're playing by different rules. There should be a level playing field for all.
The admission of LCA into the VHSL allowed their 5th year Seniors during the 1st year. It was fair to give them a chance to change their system within a reasonable timeframe. We are still in that first year. Beginning in September, there can be no 5th year Seniors.

The admission of LCA into the VHSL allowed their 5th year Seniors during the 1st year. It was fair to give them a chance to change their system within a reasonable timeframe. We are still in that first year. Beginning in September, there can be no 5th year Seniors.
I know but still makes me mad when someone argues with me that he is 18 when I knew he wasn't

He is 19, but will be 20 soon....

The Kettle Run game really doesn't mean much. Neither team is going to be throwing their best with states on Friday. In any case I'll be pulling for LCA on this one after the horrendous screwing JF got from the umps at Kettle run....
I heard about the JF game, I know the pitchers mom but still cannot cheer for LCA

So it's fair for 5th year seniors, the same age as college freshmen, to play against younger, less experienced kids? How is that fair?

I also believe you are wrong about re-classed kids. The way I understand it they will be allowed to play as 5th year seniors when they reach their 5th year. Won't their re-classed QB be allowed to play this year?

Mike,

They can no longer re-class, recruit or offer scholarships to LU. However, previously re-classed, recruited and scholarship athletes are grandfathered until they graduate. They currently even have re-classed athletes playing as "sophomores" so this issue will be around for a couple more years. Their current ace pitcher is currently playing in his 5th year, committed to LSU but likely will not go there as he is projected to be a low MLB draft pick.

Their QB will also be playing next year as a 5th year senior but honestly, they don't have much and will struggle to compete in 4a.
Thanks for your clarification again regarding an LCA issue. I knew they had grandfathered re-classed athletes, I guess I just didn't factor in how long it will take for the last possible ones to eventually filter through. I'm glad you told me that some are only sophomores so I can keep that in mind when it's brought up again over the next few years.

I remembered #2 QB Johnson was going to be a 5th year Sr this coming year.

I was quite surprised with the beatdown they took at the hands of Millbrook last year in the playoffs. Millbrook was better last year than they have traditionally been, but 65-18?

LCA had 3 D1 guys this past year and at least one other that I don't think got a scholarship, but fit the mold for D1, size-wise anyway (#80 Strachan WR 6'5" 200) I think their scholarship guys were an OL, DL, and a LB. Their skill guys weren't the D1 guys so maybe I just had higher expectations than I should have last year for the playoffs.

I agree with you that I don't think they'll have much this year for 4A. They'll have a mixed schedule again this year with private and publics. They barely made the playoffs last year with only 3 publix on the schedule and only 1 of those has won many games lately and they are only 2A.

Most of the private schools they played were pretty good, but size wise most were classified as 2A or below. Just my opinion, but I don't think they'll make it this year if they are still 4A. With only 12 teams qualifying they have to win 7 or more games to qualify. They do play Amherst this year, but that will likely be a loss. Scheduling other Publix will be difficult this year because it's the 2nd year of the the 2 year scheduling cycle for publix. Amherst only had an opening because they had to replace the FL team.

I see they picked up Martinsburg, WV so that's a 2nd public. I'm not sure if they'll be able to keep the other 3 publix (Brunswick, Maury, and Franklin Co) It's possible they'll have 5 publix on the schedule, but Amherst & Martinsburg are likely 2 losses right off the top. They play Woodberry Forest again this year and if LCA is not top notch that's likely a 3rd loss.

They'll play a full SD schedule next year, so their SOS will take a major step up. They may potentially drop to 3A because they are close to the cutoff even with the *1.5 factor. Idk if that would take effect this year or next year if they qualify. I think it's based on the ADM numbers from March, but I haven't seen them. Regardless if they are 3A or 4A I think it will take time for them to adjust to the level of competition they'll face every week.

I think not having the automatic scholarship to LU will take away their biggest selling point. Really LCA never had to actively recruit, dangle free college tuition to a parent and that was about all they had to do. There is no real incentive for a Heritage or Glass parent to change schools now without that automatic scholarship. If the kid has the grades or skills to qualify for an academic or athletic scholarship they can do that just as easily at Lynchburg city schools than at LCA where the tuition for HS is at least $6,500 per year.

I was in the overwhelming minority of people that wanted to see them in the VHSL, if for nothing else to see how they would stack up against the Seminole District in football. They play area schools in most every other sport. I also thought their admission would drive up the popularity of the boards again because people will love to hate them.

I think the things they gave up to gain admission into the VHSL, (which were all fair to have the same rules for everyone and keep the field level) will severely delay the time it takes for them to be competitive in football. I believe removing the automatic scholarship for attending LCA will gradually lower their enrollment. When I graduated from there in '92 I believe the HS enrollment was around 225. They started the scholarship offer in '93 & last year the enrollment was around 750-775. I think that was the big driver for enrollment and without it they'll probably drop back to 500-600 imo.

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/loc...cle_f155ba7a-095c-11e5-9755-23e4dfcfc844.html

The agreement also addresses the reclassification of high school athletes. Any student at LCA who already has reclassified or who played varsity sports as an eighth-grader will be grandfathered into the VHSL and is free to play out the remainder of his or hers varsity career.

As a private school, LCA allowed eight-graders to participate in varsity sports and allowed students to reclassify as well. That no longer is an option in the VHSL.

“The day we were accepted in, that practice stopped all together,” Rocco said.

VHSL Executive Director Ken Tilley confirmed Tuesday students who already have gone through that process are exempt from the rule, but added LCA “must provide us with a list of students who are in a repeat situation.”

So it's fair for 5th year seniors, the same age as college freshmen, to play against younger, less experienced kids? How is that fair?

I also believe you are wrong about re-classed kids. The way I understand it they will be allowed to play as 5th year seniors when they reach their 5th year. Won't their re-classed QB be allowed to play this year?
They way I understand the agreement, a fifth year player cannot play so the QB would not be allowed.

And no, it's not fair for the older kids to play, which is exactly why LCA will no longer be allowed to do it starting in the Fall of 2016. Giving them one year to change their system, IMO, was also fair.

There is an advantage to LCA's baseball team but it's because he's just a great pitcher. It would have been the same last year. The kid is good wether he's 18 or 19.

I disagree about classification. If the VHSL has an age limit of 19 by a certain date then why cry about it? How many public schools have had 19 year olds playing for them because maybe some of those kids failed a grade in middle school or grade school? I am sure a few and nobody even thought about it over the years. I feel that if a kid wants to reclass in the middle school or maybe even the lower high school years then let him. I don't see it as cheating and maybe that is what a kid needs to mature so the college of his/her choice will take them. I have seen many kids grow physically and intellectually at that time frame. I think high schools should give kids every opportunity to be successful. After all that is their business.

I disagree about classification. If the VHSL has an age limit of 19 by a certain date then why cry about it? How many public schools have had 19 year olds playing for them because maybe some of those kids failed a grade in middle school or grade school? I am sure a few and nobody even thought about it over the years. I feel that if a kid wants to reclass in the middle school or maybe even the lower high school years then let him. I don't see it as cheating and maybe that is what a kid needs to mature so the college of his/her choice will take them. I have seen many kids grow physically and intellectually at that time frame. I think high schools should give kids every opportunity to be successful. After all that is their business.

True, but other VHSL schools don't allow players to play for 5 years in HS. Age plus added experience is a huge advantage.

Reactions: wikki
They way I understand the agreement, a fifth year player cannot play so the QB would not be allowed.

And no, it's not fair for the older kids to play, which is exactly why LCA will no longer be allowed to do it starting in the Fall of 2016. Giving them one year to change their system, IMO, was also fair.

There is an advantage to LCA's baseball team but it's because he's just a great pitcher. It would have been the same last year. The kid is good wether he's 18 or 19.

It's not just 1 player. There are many more coming up... Yes, he's a great pitcher and was last year as well. I'm sure Amherst would have loved to have Trevillion back this year, undoubtedly they would have won more games, right? JF would have loved to have Duff back. Think about about another year of Navy Jones and Cam Miller in JF football? Sure changes things, doesn't it....

It's not just 1 player. There are many more coming up... Yes, he's a great pitcher and was last year as well. I'm sure Amherst would have loved to have Trevillion back this year, undoubtedly they would have won more games, right? JF would have loved to have Duff back. Think about about another year of Navy Jones and Cam Miller in JF football? Sure changes things, doesn't it....
Exactly my point, other public schools would have loved to had those players back

Reactions: hamspear
Now think about this... You're an LCA player that hasn't re-classed... Now you get to your Senior year, a year where it's your turn to be a leader and get your chance to show everyone what you got. The year you played your whole life for. Nope, sorry, we got some 19 year old 5th year senior who decided to stay around another year in your spot. Enjoy riding the bench....

BTW, LCA beat Kettle run 4-3.

I don't think the players that are currently at LCA should be faulted. Maybe the VHSL should consider allowing 5th year seniors in all public schools? I blame the VHSL for allowing LCA to compete in the first place. Understand that they could not afford the legal cost over the long haul. Maybe this is why people blame attorneys for messing things up in this country. I feel the football team will be a force in the future. Maybe not this year but let time take its course.
Don't want to bash LCA because I believe it provides for a quality education and have even considered sending my own kids there. I just think there should be a separation between private and public. Just like church and state. The conservative climate is the reason why we considered sending our kids there and that alone is a recruiting tool that the public schools cannot compete with.

I don't think the players that are currently at LCA should be faulted. Maybe the VHSL should consider allowing 5th year seniors in all public schools? I blame the VHSL for allowing LCA to compete in the first place. Understand that they could not afford the legal cost over the long haul. Maybe this is why people blame attorneys for messing things up in this country. I feel the football team will be a force in the future. Maybe not this year but let time take its course.
Don't want to bash LCA because I believe it provides for a quality education and have even considered sending my own kids there. I just think there should be a separation between private and public. Just like church and state. The conservative climate is the reason why we considered sending our kids there and that alone is a recruiting tool that the public schools cannot compete with.

Allow 5th year seniors in all public schools? That's ridiculous. How about this: allow LCA to compete with VHSL schools as long as they play by the same rules. All of them. Wait 4 more years and flush out the current re-classed and recruited players THEN play in the VHSL. That would be fair to everyone.

As far as LCA sports in general, you will see a steep decline over the next couple of years. There is simply no reason to go there specifically for athletics anymore as was the case in the past.

Reactions: wikki and hamspear
Allow 5th year seniors in all public schools? That's ridiculous. How about this: allow LCA to compete with VHSL schools as long as they play by the same rules. All of them. Wait 4 more years and flush out the current re-classed and recruited players THEN play in the VHSL. That would be fair to everyone.

As far as LCA sports in general, you will see a steep decline over the next couple of years. There is simply no reason to go there specifically for athletics anymore as was the case in the past.
Just follow the rules LCA and people might feel different toward them. I don't know that I ever will

The VHSL should have made LCA wait until all of the reclassified players filtered out before they began VHSL competition. Continue to play in their private school league for the next 2 or 3 seasons. But that is water under the bridge. No sense in complaining now. We all know the vhsl doesn't listen when someone makes a good point.

Can someone tell me how the VHSL plans to enforce and even monitor where players are coming from to go to LCA? Is LCA under the same type of system public schools are where as students live within a certain territory or boundary of the school grounds are eligible to go to that school? Hypothetically , Can a student from let's say as a example from Danville ( home address) attend LCA and be eligible for sports?

Will LCA follow the rules? Rules like recruiting can "easily" be broken without anybody knowing or being able to prove what actually happened. LCA wants to be successful and I can't blame them.

From past experience in another state, I will not agree with LCA declining in all sports if LCA wants to be successful. They have the perfect opportunity to do very well in time. Grew up in Pennsylvania and the Catholic schools dominate in many areas. Why? There are no boundaries. I for one don't believe that recruiting will stop. You can't stop it. Seen it first hand in PA. The coaches don't need to recruit because the program recruits itself. Kids recruit other kids. Parents and co-workers recruit other kids. It can happen at LCA as well.

I have my own opinions on reclassifying. I feel kids should be given every opportunity to be successful. Not just football but any sport. Sometimes that maturity does not kick in at the right time with high school kids or they just don't know what they want to do. As long as they are under the age limit then I see it as a level playing field. Your example of a kid waiting for his moment when his senior year comes does not hold water. If he is good enough he will see the field in some way or another.

Can someone tell me how the VHSL plans to enforce and even monitor where players are coming from to go to LCA? Is LCA under the same type of system public schools are where as students live within a certain territory or boundary of the school grounds are eligible to go to that school? Hypothetically , Can a student from let's say as a example from Danville ( home address) attend LCA and be eligible for sports?

That is a good point. I live in a nearby county and would assume that I could send my kids there if I wanted and they could play at LCA. The alternative would be like homeschooling but sending the kids to the local county school for athletics.

That is a good point. I live in a nearby county and would assume that I could send my kids there if I wanted and they could play at LCA. The alternative would be like homeschooling but sending the kids to the local county school for athletics.
LCA's school district for the purposes of where they can get their students from is Lynchburg city as of last year. So if an outlying county resident wanted to send their kids to LCA & for them to play a VHSL sport they would have to move to the city of Lynchburg to qualify

LCA's school district for the purposes of where they can get their students from is Lynchburg city as of last year. So if an outlying county resident wanted to send their kids to LCA & for them to play a VHSL sport they would have to move to the city of Lynchburg to qualify

How is that any different from just paying tuition to go to another school district whether it be private or public? I was always in the thinking that I could send my kids to another public school as long as I payed tuition. Is there a difference Mike? Example: If I lived in the JF school district could I send my kids to Brookville for school and sports as long as I paid tuition?

How is that any different from just paying tuition to go to another school district whether it be private or public? I was always in the thinking that I could send my kids to another public school as long as I payed tuition. Is there a difference Mike? Example: If I lived in the JF school district could I send my kids to Brookville for school and sports as long as I paid tuition?
I know when I lived in Lynchburg and I considered sending my kids to Brookville over EC Glass it was a simple $500 per semester. I assume, but I don't know for sure, that a kid paying tuition to attend would be allowed to play sports for that team. As far as I know you can still do that. I don't think that's fair, they should have to attend their own school zone especially if they are playing sports. LCA was a special case for the VHSL so they worked out Lynchburg city as the school district. They can't stop Bedford Co residents from sending their kids to LCA, but I assume they would not be allowed to play VHSL sports.

As to your question about what's the difference between paying tuition to send your kid to a different school zone or LCA? That's a good question, seems like they should have closed that loophole for paying tuition and being able to play VHSL sports for a different school outside of your zone. (Maybe they have changed it in the last few years idk) i don't see the difference and neither should be allowed.

I agree that Jones and Miller changes things but that's not what it is now. LCA is no longer allowed 5th year Seniors starting in Fall 2016. They got one year to change their system. It is what it is. Accept this season of readjustment and move on.

I know when I lived in Lynchburg and I considered sending my kids to Brookville over EC Glass it was a simple $500 per semester. I assume, but I don't know for sure, that a kid paying tuition to attend would be allowed to play sports for that team. As far as I know you can still do that. I don't think that's fair, they should have to attend their own school zone especially if they are playing sports. LCA was a special case for the VHSL so they worked out Lynchburg city as the school district. They can't stop Bedford Co residents from sending their kids to LCA, but I assume they would not be allowed to play VHSL sports.

As to your question about what's the difference between paying tuition to send your kid to a different school zone or LCA? That's a good question, seems like they should have closed that loophole for paying tuition and being able to play VHSL sports for a different school outside of your zone. (Maybe they have changed it in the last few years idk) i don't see the difference and neither should be allowed.
I believe they could attend LCA but will of course have to pay their tuition and on top of that the extra fee to attend. They will no longer get the education at LU so that will eliminate some people. They should not be allowed to play sports for the first year

I agree that Jones and Miller changes things but that's not what it is now. LCA is no longer allowed 5th year Seniors starting in Fall 2016. They got one year to change their system. It is what it is. Accept this season of readjustment and move on.

You are wrong. Maybe you missed my post clarifying this.

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/loc...cle_f155ba7a-095c-11e5-9755-23e4dfcfc844.html

The agreement also addresses the reclassification of high school athletes. Any student at LCA who already has reclassified or who played varsity sports as an eighth-grader will be grandfathered into the VHSL and is free to play out the remainder of his or hers varsity career.

I believe they could attend LCA but will of course have to pay their tuition and on top of that the extra fee to attend. They will no longer get the education at LU so that will eliminate some people. They should not be allowed to play sports for the first year

This is correct. They must now sit out their first year when transferring.

I agree the hefty tuition and no longer receiving the scholarship will eliminate a lot of transfers. I think enrollment will gradually drop because of this as well.

I think the things they gave up to gain admission into the VHSL, (which were all fair to have the same rules for everyone and keep the field level) will severely delay the time it takes for them to be competitive in football. I believe removing the automatic scholarship for attending LCA will gradually lower their enrollment. When I graduated from there in '92 I believe the HS enrollment was around 225. They started the scholarship offer in '93 & last year the enrollment was around 750-775. I think that was the big driver for enrollment and without it they'll probably drop back to 500-600 imo.

You graduated HS in '92??!!! Geez, I'm feeling old.

Reactions: mike salem
You are wrong. Maybe you missed my post clarifying this.

Define reclassify and who cares if an eighth grader plays varsity? It was my understanding that LCA had a program where graduating Seniors could stay another year, taking College Prep courses, still be classified as Seniors and participate in HS Sports. Hence the term 5th year Senior. That is the practice I believe changed. Grandfathered kids could continue, which meant only one season of these players remained.

The link does not explain what a reclassified student is. Perhaps Mike Salem would be able to explain this to me. He attended LCA. I certainly don't mind being corrected.

Define reclassify and who cares if an eighth grader plays varsity? It was my understanding that LCA had a program where graduating Seniors could stay another year, taking College Prep courses, still be classified as Seniors and participate in HS Sports. Hence the term 5th year Senior. That is the practice I believe changed. Grandfathered kids could continue, which meant only one season of these players remained.

The link does not explain what a reclassified student is. Perhaps Mike Salem would be able to explain this to me. He attended LCA. I certainly don't mind being corrected.

I'll give you an actual example. There are many kids on the team now who have decided to repeat their freshman, sophomore or junior year for no other reason than to gain an extra year in sports. There are current reclassed Sophomores on the team now who will have 2 years of eligibility left, effectively getting 5 years of play.

You graduated HS in '92??!!! Geez, I'm feeling old.
Sorry, well if it makes you feel any better, @DanvilleSportsHead makes me feel old. Age and feeling old is all relative I guess. I posted on Facebook the other day about feeling old because my son turned 20 this past Sunday and my daughter is graduating Friday. Those kind of moments smack you in the face. It seems like just yesterday she was that little girl jumping from the top of the steps into my arms with no warning other than to say DADDY! Now she's 5'7" & is starting college this fall, geez.

Ha, you two.
I've got a daughter almost as old as you Mike. And Clarke, how does graduating high school in 1972 make you look at me? And no, they didn't have ink wells in the desk back then! (Actually, the wooden desk in my elementary school years did have the round hole in the desktop for ink wells.) Shit, I AM old!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT