ADVERTISEMENT

Home Field Advantage

Ha, you two.
I've got a daughter almost as old as you Mike. And Clarke, how does graduating high school in 1972 make you look at me? And no, they didn't have ink wells in the desk back then! (Actually, the wooden desk in my elementary school years did have the round hole in the desktop for ink wells.) Shit, I AM old!
Holy Cow! From baby boomer to baby geezer. Didn't know you had reached the decrepit stage. Wooden desks and ink holes! That feeling of immortality is gone. The prostate is swollen and you get the greased glove every year. You tweak your back in the shower picking up the shampoo. Sometimes, getting out of bed sounds like a Rice Krispies commercial. The Grim Reaper could appear around any corner and on any day. Must be hell for you.

FYI. I also graduated HS in 72'. :D

If I remember correctly, Skynard has got us beat by at least another 10 years?

And most people think Bleeding Navy is around 80, from the way he looks. But I think he is actually 32 or 33?

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Ha, you two.
I've got a daughter almost as old as you Mike. And Clarke, how does graduating high school in 1972 make you look at me? And no, they didn't have ink wells in the desk back then! (Actually, the wooden desk in my elementary school years did have the round hole in the desktop for ink wells.) Shit, I AM old!

Watch the cursing there, Methusalah. :)

I think I came across some of those ink well desks back in my day, even though - as a member of the class of '80 - I am comparatively a mere spring chicken.

Ha, you two.

You're so old, you invented dirt! Bleeding Navy got the patent though.:D

Holy Cow! From baby boomer to baby geezer. Didn't know you had reached the decrepit stage. Wooden desks and ink holes! That feeling of immortality is gone. The prostate is swollen and you get the greased glove every year. You tweak your back in the shower picking up the shampoo. Sometimes, getting out of bed sounds like a Rice Krispies commercial. The Grim Reaper could appear around any corner and on any day. Must be hell for you.

FYI. I also graduated HS in 72'. :D

Just don't talk about poopin. :rolleyes:

The Liberty University baseball stadium is not their home field. They have their own field.

More of a concern is the fact that they have re-classed (5th year) and recruited athletes competing against teams that aren't allowed to re-class or recruit. VHSL should be ashamed that they let this happen. Certainly not a fair playing field.
Basically it is. Home field by the fans that is

The Hanover Hawks baseball team edged LCA in the 4a state baseball final. This is Hawks third state title in the past four years.

If I remember correctly, Skynard has got us beat by at least another 10 years?

And most people think Bleeding Navy is around 80, from the way he looks. But I think he is actually 32 or 33?
As most can see "DP" likes to embellish a bit. To give you a hint I was a second grader and playing my first year of Peewee Football when DP and Shanti graduated. I was a strapping 45-50 pounds sporting my favorite players number (#9 Sonny Jurgensen). Yes, I do look a bit old for my age, but that's what chasing bad guy/girls, coaching (parents) and umpiring (parents again) will do to a person. lol...

Age can hurt! I was in Target last year with my wife and the guy running the checkout stated "You should thank your dad for spending all this money on you". My wife (only one year younger than me) crumpled over laughing and I almost knocked the dude in the nose. Since I am the witty type I quickly replied "You have it all wrong. She is my 20 year old mistress and I am her Sugar Daddy". He was in awe until my wife gave me a swift kidney punch. Down goes Frazier!

As most can see "DP" likes to embellish a bit. To give you a hint I was a second grader and playing my first year of Peewee Football when DP and Shanti graduated. I was a strapping 45-50 pounds sporting my favorite players number (#9 Sonny Jurgensen). Yes, I do look a bit old for my age, but that's what chasing bad guy/girls, coaching (parents) and umpiring (parents again) will do to a person. lol...

Age can hurt! I was in Target last year with my wife and the guy running the checkout stated "You should thank your dad for spending all this money on you". My wife (only one year younger than me) crumpled over laughing and I almost knocked the dude in the nose. Since I am the witty type I quickly replied "You have it all wrong. She is my 20 year old mistress and I am her Sugar Daddy". He was in awe until my wife gave me a swift kidney punch. Down goes Frazier!
It's not the years. It's the mileage. :D

I have a similar issue with my age and appearance. A woman I was seeing (ag 50) was excited to attend the local Fredericksburg Agricultural Fair so she could purchase my Senior Citizen ticket and get a good laugh at my expense. As a Long Island girl, friendly chop busting was something to look forward to. Unfortunately, the ticket clerk gave her the Senior ticket and me the regular one. Another "down goes Frazier" event. For both me and the clerk.

Apparently, some people think that I look younger than my age and my wife at the time, looks older than her age. (She's only a year older) 3 people made the mistake of assuming she was my mom. Each time it took everything in her not to bless them out and everything in me not to die laughing.

My daughter just graduated, will turn 18 in 3 months. She is very mature and is 5'7" so she looks like she could be in her early 20's. One of my RADAR drivers, who only ever picked me up once, thought she was my young girlfriend. That one gave us both a laugh, because there he was thinking I'm a stud, in a wheelchair no less.

As you can see I handled both situations inappropriately, but with laughter as the end result, that's just how I roll, pun intended.

Last edited:
I have a similar issue with my age and appearance. A woman I was seeing (ag 50) was excited to attend the local Fredericksburg Agricultural Fair so she could purchase my Senior Citizen ticket and get a good laugh at my expense. As a Long Island girl, friendly chop busting was something to look forward to. Unfortunately, the ticket clerk gave her the Senior ticket and me the regular one. Another "down goes Frazier" event. For both me and the clerk.
Okay, my turn then since we're sharing stories. I have a 96 Cadillac that had to be in the shop recently for a broken water pump, belt for said water pump, belt tensioner, and thermostat replacement, as well as a radiator flush and fill. Now, the service guy (young kid) tells me that since we've been loyal customers, he said he'd knock off 100 bucks, so the bill was $854. I thanked him and paid the bill. When I got home, I looked at the bill. On the bottom, it said 10% Senior Citizen discount.

If I hadn't been so happy about the discount, I'd drive back and smack his head!

Apparently, some people think that I look younger than my age and my wife at the time, looks older than her age. (She's only a year older) 3 people made the mistake of assuming she was mom. Each time it took everything in her not to bless them out and everything in me not to die laughing.

My daughter just graduated, will turn 18 in 3 months. She is very mature and is 5'7" so she looks like she could be in her early 20's. One of my RADAR drivers, who only ever picked me up once, thought she was my young girlfriend. That one gave us both a laugh, because there he was thinking I'm a stud, in a wheelchair no less.

As you can see I handled both situations inappropriately, but with laughter as the end result, that's just how I roll, pun intended.
I'm pretty accident prone, one time I fell off a ladder cutting a tree with a chainsaw in the rain. (Don't ask) Anyway, I compressed two vertebrae and fractured them. I went to the hospital, and when the lady checking me in at the ER asked what happened, I pointed to my wife and said she pushed me. Without blinking an eye, the lady looked at my wife as she glared at me and asked "How long you two been married?" My wife replied "TOO LONG!"

Okay, my turn then since we're sharing stories. I have a 96 Cadillac that had to be in the shop recently for a broken water pump, belt for said water pump, belt tensioner, and thermostat replacement, as well as a radiator flush and fill. Now, the service guy (young kid) tells me that since we've been loyal customers, he said he'd knock off 100 bucks, so the bill was $854. I thanked him and paid the bill. When I got home, I looked at the bill. On the bottom, it said 10% Senior Citizen discount.

If I hadn't been so happy about the discount, I'd drive back and smack his head!
Wow. I'm so glad I'm a DIY. But nice discount.

I'm pretty accident prone, one time I fell off a ladder cutting a tree with a chainsaw in the rain. (Don't ask) Anyway, I compressed two vertebrae and fractured them. I went to the hospital, and when the lady checking me in at the ER asked what happened, I pointed to my wife and said she pushed me. Without blinking an eye, the lady looked at my wife as she glared at me and asked "How long you two been married?" My wife replied "TOO LONG!"
I think every wife says that.

Our daughter, who is 36 and looks about 26, was with her husband, who is 50, at a restaurant. Now, the husband is a retired Airborne Ranger, and military life aged him a bit. She is 5' tall, maybe 120lbs. He is about 6'5" and 240. He had been making fun of something she said, and he leaned over to kiss her. In a very loud and indignant voice she says, "dad, I told you to stop kissing me in public"! A hush fell across the resturaunt.

Thanks for all the great stories, gentlemen. I am really a follower of 6A since those are the predominant teams in Fairfax County but the 6A board is just not the same as this one. I never get tired of visiting the 4A board for the camaraderie and passion for HS football.

Only 47 more days.....

Thanks for all the great stories, gentlemen. I am really a follower of 6A since those are the predominant teams in Fairfax County but the 6A board is just not the same as this one. I never get tired of visiting the 4A board for the camaraderie and passion for HS football.

Only 47 more days.....
Thanks for joining us. Can you give some insight or opinion on who you think the top 4a football teams in NOVA will be.

I second Bleeding Navy. As you already know, precious little is posted about the NOVA teams. I invite you to share with us what you can. Even about the 5a & 6a teams. Because most of them play one or more 4a teams, and we like to know what's happening across the state. Thanks.

Wow. I'm so glad I'm a DIY. But nice discount.
I'm a DIYer myself, but in the words of Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations." I just spent 3 hours wrangling with the front brakes off the Caddy to replace the pads. COULD NOT GET THE BRAKE PISTON TO GO BACK NO MATTER WHAT!!! The hell with em, taking it to the shop tonight!

Our daughter, who is 36 and looks about 26, was with her husband, who is 50, at a restaurant. Now, the husband is a retired Airborne Ranger, and military life aged him a bit. She is 5' tall, maybe 120lbs. He is about 6'5" and 240. He had been making fun of something she said, and he leaned over to kiss her. In a very loud and indignant voice she says, "dad, I told you to stop kissing me in public"! A hush fell across the resturaunt.
That's flipping hilarious!!! Your daughter has a wicked sense of humor!!

What a night in the big town of Carson, Va. Last night I came home around 8:45 pm. Low an behold I see my old nemesis Mr. Stinky (skunk) scooting through my field towards my house.

I have been trying to trap him/her for two years as Stinky likes to pester my dog and get in my trash bin. I went inside to get my trusty tool and flashlight. No luck he hid from me again.

My daughters boyfriend hears me complaining and says "you aint doing it right".
Now that comment went over like a lead balloon.

At 11:00 he left in his big lifted Ford Truck. He immediately came back to the house and said "i got Stinky". I was pissed. This battle was between me and the skunk. The idiot had drove through my field leaving huge ruts and ran over the thing. He went back inside the house to brag.

I still won. He drove home with Mr. Stinky in the bed of his truck. Wonder when he will notice. Is there a moral to this story?

I'm a DIYer myself, but in the words of Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations." I just spent 3 hours wrangling with the front brakes off the Caddy to replace the pads. COULD NOT GET THE BRAKE PISTON TO GO BACK NO MATTER WHAT!!! The hell with em, taking it to the shop tonight!

C Clamp.

What a night in the big town of Carson, Va. Last night I came home around 8:45 pm. Low an behold I see my old nemesis Mr. Stinky (skunk) scooting through my field towards my house.

I have been trying to trap him/her for two years as Stinky likes to pester my dog and get in my trash bin. I went inside to get my trusty tool and flashlight. No luck he hid from me again.

At 11:00 he left in his big lifted Ford Truck. He immediately came back to the house and said "i got Stinky". I was pissed. This battle was between me and the skunk. The idiot had drove through my field leaving huge ruts and ran over the thing. He went back inside the house to brag.

I still won. He drove home with Mr. Stinky in the bed of his truck. Wonder when he will notice. Is there a moral to this story?

Would it be "don't screw with Navy"?

PS, I'll see you Friday at graduation.

That is all I ever use, too. I can imagine that a Caddy caliper is so different that it won't work. If it's dual pistons, just lay a board across the face of both pistons. You maybe should loosen the cap on the brake fluid reservoir before you compress the caliper. And don't take both sides off at the same time. While you are compressing one side, the pistons on the other side will push completely out of the housing. Then you have a real mess, to say nothing of the air in the lines.

Don't sweat the repair bill if you take it in. It can't possibly be as bad as your $800 water pump!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
I like the way this story went DP. They all gave me a chuckle, but what your daughter did is exactly what I would have thought of doing, but would never have done. (As previously stated, my wife at the time, was sensitive in this area because of the 3 incidents) Props for her chops!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I wish I had my daughter's wit and intelligence. Combine that with her wicked sense of humor, and she can hang with the best of them.

Tried it. Didn't work. Just took it to Merchant's in Winchester. Ended up needing new rotors, those were original. Not bad, 20 years old with 71K miles on em.

Come on football, this is getting ridiculous!! We sound like a bunch of old men on a front porch!

Shoulda put it behind his seat in the cab. With this hot weather.....heheheheheheheh

I hope I am wrong but I think LCA will decline in all sports over the next couple of years. Don't be surprised if LCA ends up in 3A or 2A down the road.

Reactions: wikki
I hope I am wrong but I think LCA will decline in all sports over the next couple of years. Don't be surprised if LCA ends up in 3A or 2A down the road.
I think it's only logical to assume LCA's enrollment will decline to a certain degree. When I graduated in '92 I think there were approximately 225 in grades 9-12. The scholarship to LU actually started the year after I graduated, but I went to CVCC for 1 year and they granted me a 3 year scholarship. Fast forward to '15-'16 & there are probably closer to 775 students 9-12, which with the *1.5 private factor put them just barely in 4A.

I think the #1 reason there was such growth in 24 years is that scholarship. I'm not saying they'll shrink back to '92 levels, but it's a safe bet that they'll drop some. My guess is 500-600. (500×1.5=750 would put them at a big 2A, 600×1.5=900 would put them at a mid level 3A. They'd have to drop below 320 to be considered for 1A, so 2A-3A sounds right to me. Tuition was $6,000 5 yrs ago, not sure about now. I'm assuming less people will be willing to pay that much tuition without a scholarship.

As part of that overall decline, a fair amount would have played sports. The team most affected would be football since they need more players than baseball or basketball for example. Their numbers drop, but so will their playoff competition. I think they would do pretty good in most sports at 2A, football the biggest challenge. 3A would increase their difficulty level and if they settle here they will struggle to be 5-5 in 3A football with the enrollment drop. Like I said in a previous post what they gave up to get into the VHSL will also reduce their competitiveness, especially once 5th year Sr's & out of area transfers filter out.

Last edited:
Well put, Mike. I fear the temptation to be competitive may lead them to play fast and furious with the rules. Also, I wonder if they may reinstitute some level of assistance with tuition to LU to stop the decline in enrollment? I don't think that is a violation of the VHSL rules.

When it comes to enrollment numbers that LCA reports to the VHSL for classification purposes, "The fox is guarding the hen house". They don't report ADM numbers. There is little or no way to verify the number they report.
What does this mean? Within plausible deniability parameters, LCA will proffer an attendance number that best serves their purposes.

They will do what they can to drop down especially if they start losing!

I question the ADM numbers of some public schools. There are several schools that were at one time, back in the day, powerful AAA or AA schools , Now they are in districts with smaller schools. Granted reclassification schemes play some role.

I question the ADM numbers of some public schools. There are several schools that were at one time, back in the day, powerful AAA or AA schools , Now they are in districts with smaller schools. Granted reclassification schemes play some role.
ADM is a large factor in state funding of local schools. If a district under reported one school, another would have to be over reporting or state money would be lost.

I agree. They would be more likely to overstate the ADM than under. But, there are several checks and balances that should expose and overstatement of enrollment. It would tak a concerted, elaborate effort to falsify the ADM and keep it from becoming exposed.

Sometimes we, the lovers of football, forget that 99% of school administrators could care less about where a schools athletics is grouped. It is honestly a very unimportant factor in the overall picture.

CPA and DP you hit it right on the money. My wife runs the numbers for Dinwiddie and they are very concerned about reductions due to unanticipared attendance/enrollment numbers. I think they have report the numbers monthly to the Dept. Of Education.

Schools that have administrators who don't care about football, probably have losing teams. I recall years ago going to a meeting, and the guy conducting meeting said: "the most important person in the building is the Head Football Coach"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT