ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops question -- possible self-pass scenario

Pinewood

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 5, 2003
I think this has been asked before, but I looked and didn't find it.

Player A shoots the ball from say, 10 feet, and his momentum takes him under the basket as the shot is in the air. The shot is an air ball which player A then catches before it hits the floor or another player.

Is this a travel in high school? College? NBA? FIFA?

Thanks.

Even though the shot is an "airball", if it clearly a legal try for a goal, the shooter may catch the ball.

Re: FIFA?

Doh. That's what I get for posting at 6 in the morning.

Yes. Should have typed FIBA = international rules.

I seen this play once, but it's been several years , thus I can't remember "how it was called" ?

In HS and college, it's legal to rebound your own airball. By rule, there is no such thing as a "self pass." A pass is defined as throwing the ball to a teammate. There is no provision for throwing the ball to yourself, therefore, it does not exist by rule.

In the NBA, it's traveling.

In FEEBLE, who cares?
smilie1.gif

This post was edited on 2/28 10:48 AM by FBRef

Ahh, another PUG rule...

...(pick up game), just like "over the back", or ball hitting top of backboard, "self-pass" is one of those things never to be found in a rule book that has been around in open gyms forever. Another good one is that some think you can't go out of bounds and be the first to touch after coming back in, like you gotta wait for someone else to contact the ball before you're allowed to play:(

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT