ADVERTISEMENT

Hoos

27-7 final, and ends a 4-game Monticello winning streak over us. Defense gave up a few big plays but didn't break, and had some takeaways (fumble recovery, interception). Much more consistent than last week.

Last edited:
I was torn on the Pickem this week. Picked Louisa originally, switched to Monticello yesterday, back to Louisa this morning after some things I heard we'd be doing. We didn't show much of it tonight and didn't need to, but TE Jay'von Jackson had two big receptions to keep drives going that we haven't attempted in a while.

I was torn on the Pickem this week. Picked Louisa originally, switched to Monticello yesterday, back to Louisa this morning after some things I heard we'd be doing. We didn't show much of it tonight and didn't need to, but TE Jay'von Jackson had two big receptions to keep drives going that we haven't attempted in a while.
Happy for you HoosFan05

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
By the way, since some posters like to talk about JV on here, Louisa JV is 5-0 in the JD and beat Monticello 32-8 on Wednesday. Looks like I'll be around for a little while longer. Sorry, not sorry.

Congrats on a great win! Keep it goin! As far as JV is concerned, I think it is a good indicator to a certain point. I know many who disagree, and it doesn't always translate in later years, but more often than not there seems to be decent reciprocity to varsity (at least in my area of the state). The future for Louisa looks pretty good!

And most of Louisa's current varsity squad could play JV. But to be fair, most of the JD is young and start many underclassmen on varsity.

Yeah 6-4 looking more likely. Still need help to move up in points
With the schedule we've played, 6-4 would be a blessing at this point, and it may very well happen. Can't have any setbacks the next two weeks. Orange and their fans will especially be pumped up at Porterfield next week.

Last edited:
With the schedule we've played, 6-4 would be a blessing at this point, and it may very well happen. Can't have any setbacks the next two weeks. Orange and their fans will especially be pumped up at Porterfield next week.
Yeah I would agree tougher schedule for lions compared to past years. I thought last season they over achieved at 7-4 this year I thought they underachieved a bit. I thought 8-2 at worst before the Sherando game. Biggest concern for lions next season has to be the line. Enjoy this season hoos and win tonight. Lions may turn it up and be a team to reckon with. As you alluded to guess depends on which lion team shows up.

And it certainly doesn't hurt to keep the ball for nearly 35 minutes. :) @skynard1 would be proud today. His "young puppies", the three sophomores Whalen, Jones, and Bell each ran for at least 91 yards. Something has clicked for sophomore Malik Bell. He doesn't tiptoe through holes anymore, hitting them with authority, and became a manchild on his 33-yard TD run. NBC 29 called him Marshawn Lynch, haha. His balance for his size is crazy. It's fun to watch and great to know these are just sophomores. Junior Quinton Ragland was a beast on defense again, and got his second start on offense, and played well there. He didn't lead block out of the backfield like John Dennis of 2011 like shauntclair wants, but he did pull and kick out at times. The JV also has a pretty darn good line, and varsity has a junior who hasn't played all year due to a bad concussion.

It's funny how things work. Louisa crushed Western last year, and Western turned around and beat Monticello the following week. This year, Western does the same to Louisa and Louisa turns around and does the same to Monticello. Gotta love HS football.

Last edited:
I think WR/CB #1 Michael Crenshaw for Monticello could be D1 caliber. I've kept an eye on him all year. He went toe-to-toe with Wayne Davis of Lake Taylor and made many good plays in that game and all season, and saved a rushing TD or two single handedly last night. He has the size, speed, and strength. He's a senior, I wonder where he'll end up.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2995843/highlights/292655409/v2

Last edited:
I think WR/CB #1 Michael Crenshaw for Monticello could be D1 caliber. I've kept an eye on him all year. He went toe-to-toe with Wayne Davis of Lake Taylor and made many good plays in that game and all season, and saved a rushing TD or two single handedly last night. He has the size, speed, and strength. He's a senior, I wonder where he'll end up.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2995843/highlights/292655409/v2

C'mon now you know for a fact our QB was making his 2nd career start and if you look at the two highlights he threw two bad balls that he kid was able to recover and break up. Wayne Davis is going to OSU to play CB not WR so the name drop to give him and your point more credibility wasn't necessary. The kid was solid and the better of the two corners as he was also bigger. Kids skill set should speak for him. I liked him and he has some swag.

Well Crenshaw made a few more plays in the LT game than is shown in the video, I believe. And I only specifically mentioned Davis because he's the only player of that caliber Crenshaw has gone against all year. And the video doesn't include the plays Crenshaw's guys weren't thrown to by Hughey because they were covered.

Last edited:
Well Crenshaw made a few more plays in the LT game than is shown in the video, I believe. And I only specifically mentioned Davis because he's the only player of that caliber Crenshaw has gone against all year. And the video doesn't include the plays Crenshaw's guys weren't thrown to by Hughey because they were covered.

Just watched our offensive film. He was in zone all game and he left his man that one play and came over and helped the other db out by breaking up the pass. He was on Wayne 3 plays and spent the rest of the game with other WR's on his side. It's all good though great win by the ions last night.

I think Gilliam you better check computer the lions blowing up mustangs.
You guys really don't understand statistics.

The computer gave Louisa a 41% chance of winning the game, so this result was nothing to take notice of, however these were:

Brookville was favored by 40 over Liberty and lost.
Courtland was favored by 38 over King George and lost.
Salem (VB) was favored by 35 over Landstown and lost.

Computer went 120-24 this week, it predicted it would go 121-23.

This week's predictions:
Albemarle 17, Monticello 12
Louisa 25, Orange 17
Powhatan 39, Fluvanna 8
Western 41, Charlottesville 20

The last week of the season it's calling this:
Western 30, Albemarle 22
Orange 42, Fluvanna 8
Louisa 27, Charlottesville 13
Monticello 20, Powhatan 15

Still some big games for middle of the pack teams.

Louisa at Orange for rescheduled Homecoming/Halloween celebration game could be interesting. Hornets have kids on the field who can turn your mistakes into TD's (they also can make mistakes that give you TD's) and have consistently outplayed the computer predictions this year. Louisa coming off of their best game of the year. I'm still not seeing any likely playoff wins for JD except for Western Albemarle. Maybe with a real favorable draw somebody else wins one, but there are some monsters lurking. It would be a gigantic upset for a 6-4 or 7-3 Jefferson District team to win a second playoff game.

This week's predictions:
Albemarle 17, Monticello 12
Louisa 25, Orange 17
Powhatan 39, Fluvanna 8
Western 41, Charlottesville 20

The last week of the season it's calling this:
Western 30, Albemarle 22
Orange 42, Fluvanna 8
Louisa 27, Charlottesville 13
Monticello 20, Powhatan 15

Still some big games for middle of the pack teams.

Louisa at Orange for rescheduled Homecoming/Halloween celebration game could be interesting. Hornets have kids on the field who can turn your mistakes into TD's (they also can make mistakes that give you TD's) and have consistently outplayed the computer predictions this year. Louisa coming off of their best game of the year. I'm still not seeing any likely playoff wins for JD except for Western Albemarle. Maybe with a real favorable draw somebody else wins one, but there are some monsters lurking. It would be a gigantic upset for a 6-4 or 7-3 Jefferson District team to win a second playoff game.
I understand stats and will leave it at that. As far as playoffs I would agree western most likely best chance to win a few playoff games. That's because they are a good team. I though Monticello would be similar to them but after what the lions did not so sure anymore. Louisa should handle orange easily. This used to be a rival game when both teams had talent,but lately it has been mostly Louisa.

My computer quantifies it this way (I made the comments--computer doesn't talk much):

71.09 Western Albemarle (7-1) - A run is possible in 3A with no invincible teams.
64.39 Louisa (4-4) - Definitely better than record, but with Lake Taylor's and Salem's waiting, let's not get too excited.
62.92 Albemarle (6-2) - Playing in a AA district hurts in AAA playoffs. Post season won't be fun.
58.27 Monticello (5-3) - could draw well enough to win first round game if they can finish 7-3, so beating Albemarle is key.
55.99 Orange (5-3) - Playing in AA district hurts in AAA playoffs. Post season won't be fun.
53.45 Powhatan (3-5) - I don't think they even want in the playoffs at this point. Could be painful.
49.89 Charlottesville (3-5) - Disappointing season, but when teams are close someone ends up losing more than their share.
22.31 Fluvanna (0-8) - Sigh

Finally starting to get a little separation in the middle.

And it certainly doesn't hurt to keep the ball for nearly 35 minutes. :) @skynard1 would be proud today. His "young puppies", the three sophomores Whalen, Jones, and Bell each ran for at least 91 yards. Something has clicked for sophomore Malik Bell. He doesn't tiptoe through holes anymore, hitting them with authority, and became a manchild on his 33-yard TD run. NBC 29 called him Marshawn Lynch, haha. His balance for his size is crazy. It's fun to watch and great to know these are just sophomores. Junior Quinton Ragland was a beast on defense again, and got his second start on offense, and played well there. He didn't lead block out of the backfield like John Dennis of 2011 like shauntclair wants, but he did pull and kick out at times. The JV also has a pretty darn good line, and varsity has a junior who hasn't played all year due to a bad concussion.

It's funny how things work. Louisa crushed Western last year, and Western turned around and beat Monticello the following week. This year, Western does the same to Louisa and Louisa turns around and does the same to Monticello. Gotta love HS football.
Way to go Louisa and my young puppies! I think my prediction of playoffs this year is coming true! I said before the season a playoff is in the outlook! and the next two years I warned the JD but no one would listen. I know most of these guys as they play basketball with my grandson and I could see what athletes they was going to be. not only good football but excellent basketball players too and even though Louisa has been down in basketball wait till this year and after. they played with my grandson in the Louisa aau team this summer and won a couple tournaments. enough said about basketball on the football site. but not only those kids are excellent athletes but Jones, Whalen, Ragland Cherry and some the others that play on the football team that also play basketball are exceptional young adults as I have got to know them all. wish I could watch them grow on the football field but doing the fredbg area game of the week keeps me in fredbg area. good luck yunguns and see you on basketball court!

Yeah but in
Way to go Louisa and my young puppies! I think my prediction of playoffs this year is coming true! I said before the season a playoff is in the outlook! and the next two years I warned the JD but no one would listen. I know most of these guys as they play basketball with my grandson and I could see what athletes they was going to be. not only good football but excellent basketball players too and even though Louisa has been down in basketball wait till this year and after. they played with my grandson in the Louisa aau team this summer and won a couple tournaments. enough said about basketball on the football site. but not only those kids are excellent athletes but Jones, Whalen, Ragland Cherry and some the others that play on the football team that also play basketball are exceptional young adults as I have got to know them all. wish I could watch them grow on the football field but doing the fredbg area game of the week keeps me in fredbg area. good luck yunguns and see you on basketball court!
Yes true about playoffs. Realistically its hard not to make playoffs in the current system unless you are just awful like us. I am ready for playoffs though to see what unfolds. I really don't know if seeding will change in the bottom half of pods 19-20.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT