ADVERTISEMENT

How about pass interference?

What do you look for that draws a flag?
Defensive Pass Interference will usually fall into 1 of the below categories but ultimately a material restriction needs to have occured. This means simply that the defender used contact to gain an unfair advantage.This is where the better officials exercise judgement and a philosphy known as "quality calls." DPI should be blatantly obvious even to the people sitting in the upper rows of the stadium. DPI occurs after the ball is thrown so some of these would be defensive holding or illegal use of hands otherwise
1. Hold or Jersey Pull
2. Hook and Turn
3. Playing through the back of the receiver creating early contact
4. Obvious early contact particularly when not playing the ball (defender is beat on a deep route and the ball is underthrown)
5. Continuous contact not playing the ball
If it doesn't fit a category its probably not a foul. Feet tangled up unless there was obvious intent is not DPI for example. I'm purely an NCAA official however so maybe a HS guy has other input.

The push off is another. It's often an offensive player doing it. The indicator is when two guys are running with little separation and suddenly there's an arm extended and a full yard in between them.

Hand fighting is usually not considered PI.

That said, I have worked entirely in the offensive backfield for years and have no real authority to judge PI. I'm not even looking there.

DPI restrictions begin when the ball is in the air/OPI restrictions begin at the snap. OPI also fits into several categories and officials are better off staying away from a flag unless they can categorize into the below:
1. Blocking downfield on a play where a legal forward pass is thrown beyond the NZ and the contact occurs before the ball is touched by the receiver. All of the above should be obvious and it should be clear that the blocking was intended to clear out space for a receiver. Screen passes executed correctly are not OPI because the ball is caught behind the line of scrimmage.
2. Pick Plays particularly in the Red Zone
3. Push Off which creates actual separation gaining an unfair advantage for the offense (I am not looking for a "balance check" which would resemble an outfielder "finding" the wall" on a deep fly ball. I am also not looking to penalize a receiver simply because he was bigger/stronger or knew where the ball in flight was.

OPI?? Bigger, taller receiver runs up and into the defender to help slow his momentum and make an outside cut. The defender often falls down from the force of the impact.

The quarterback normally times the throw at the time of impact knowing it's going to be an easy completion. This is a go to play that I have seen a team go to multiple times over the years. NEVER seen a penalty called. The hit is so hard, it creates at least a 3 yard gap from the falling defender.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT