ADVERTISEMENT

How about them Bulldogs??

Mayberryite

VaPreps Varsity
Jul 17, 2007
Them Lady Bulldogs, that is. The MHS Lady Dogs beat Radford 63-29 to move to 6-0. They're winning by an average of about 70-25. They'll see where they are in the coming days as they travel 2+ hours to take on 2016 2A runner up Wilson Memorial. And after that is a date with perennial power Floyd.

Out of those 6 wins are any vs. teams that are any good? that's the question....
Girls varsity basketball at the 1A and 2A level is a plethora of have and have nots.

Reactions: AntGZee
2 were against Glenvar, who has normally been pretty decent. Not so sure how good they are this year. Another one is against 5A Halifax. Halifax isn't normally very good for a 5A, but it was at their place. None of the others really stand out. Like I said, we will find out if the Lady Dogs are the real deal in about an hour when they face off with Wilson Memorial on the road.

Martinsville has to play Magna Vista twice, GW twice and they still have to play Floyd County.

Martinsville girls may be on their way. If they can manage to beat Magna Vista then they are certainly in business.

I agree with that, but I'm more interested to see how they do with Floyd. MV is 3A. Floyd has flat out laid the wood to MHS a couple of times in the last several years. They've done that to lots of teams though.

Reactions: AntGZee
I drove down to watch the game vs. Wilson --- Martinsville has the components to make a run. I don't think they are going to steamroll their way through.
#10 is a legit player
They are pretty long across the board
They aren't very deep (maybe play 6 possibly 7) bench very thin talent wise. Starting 5 legit.
Well coached
There is no doubt they are one of the top 8 teams in 2A in 2016-2017 based upon what I've seen.

Wilson is a solid team but not near as talented as they were last year. They lost a lot of seniors off a team that made a run to the finals. A couple of them are currently playing Div 3 ball I think.
Wilson could finish anywhere between 1-4 in their district... East Rock is really good, Gap is good but inconsistent, Wilson is young, Stuarts Draft has 3 good small guards that on any given night can give people problems.

Reactions: gtownfencecrew
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT