ADVERTISEMENT

How'd we do? Rod Johnson

hamspear

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2009
Arrowhead stadium
Hey Rod, was just wondering your thought process on not putting Dinwiddie in the 9 or 10 spot in your final rankings? Not that it really matters, but there two losses in 4A were against the champs and the first game of the season to the so called " should be champs" . Thomas dale loss 6A. Do you think Courtland and Eastern view were better than Dinwiddie seriously? Another argument for Dinwiddie would be that they lost to Lake Taylor by about the same score as Salem, Salem ranked high, Dinwiddie not ranked at all. just wondering what you were thinking? You could have given yourself a b+!
This post was edited on 12/16 9:18 PM by hamspear

Originally posted by hamspear:
Hey Rod, was just wondering your thought process on not putting Dinwiddie in the 9 or 10 spot in your final rankings? Not that it really matters, but there two losses in 4A were against the champs and the first game of the season to the so called " should be champs" . Thomas dale loss 6A. Do you think Courtland and Eastern view were better than Dinwiddie seriously? Another argument for Dinwiddie would be that they lost to Lake Taylor by about the same score as Salem, Salem ranked high, Dinwiddie not ranked at all. just wondering what you were thinking? You could have given yourself a b+!
This post was edited on 12/16 9:18 PM by hamspear[/I]
I don't use the rankings to show if I think that teams are "better" than other teams. In my opinion, that's what predictions articles are for.

The rankings are used more to show who had a "better" season. In essence, the question that I ask myself is, "At the end of the year, which season would have made me happier?".

In the case of Eastern View, they had one less loss and they beat two teams with winning records while Dinwiddie only beat one team with a winning record. The Cyclones also lost games by 7 and 8 points while the Generals fell by 5,7 and 28.

Courtland only loss twice, once to a top five team from class 5A and the other by 3 points to a 12-win team while notching three wins over teams with winning records.

Sure, Salem lost by the same to Lake Taylor, but Salem also won FIVE more games than Dinwiddie.

I can't go higher than a B- when we didn't have two of the state semifinalists in the rankings at all. That hurt.

Doing rankings is hard. For instance, NOBODY loves an upset more than I do. When I used to rank the teams, however, upsets meant I was wrong.

I would hate it if somebody got the rankings right consistently at the start of the year. That would make for some boring seasons. I love seeing new teams move up the ratings during the year. The idea that anyone "should've known" who was going to be in the final four is silly, and not desirable.

So the question is, did you do as well as could be expected, with the data you were given? Did you get as much data as could be reasonably expected. Yes and Yes. Give yourself an A.
This post was edited on 12/21 12:05 PM by GilliamRatings

Just glad college football doesn't do there rankings this way , or we might see Marshall vs TCU for the National championship, great seasons, but not the best team.

Just glad college football doesn't do there rankings this way , or we might see Marshall vs TCU for the National championship, great seasons, but not the best team.
How would anyone argue that either TCU or Marshall had the best season in college football this year?

Florida State and Alabama would be my #1 and #2.
This post was edited on 12/22 2:53 PM by VaPrepsRod

The point I was trying to make no matter what teams i said is that if you go by record then TCU and Marshall had just a good of season as Alabama. But everyone knows that if Alabama played those two teams the result would be in Alabams favor. So I was just saying that Alabama is fortunate, that the College playoff people picking the best four teams aren't afraid of stepping on toes and picking the absolute best four teams regardless of record or best season. I realize what you are doing or nor doing, its high school not College. Carry on, never mind me.

The point I was trying to make no matter what teams i said is that if you go by record then TCU and Marshall had just a good of season as Alabama. But everyone knows that if Alabama played those two teams the result would be in Alabams favor. So I was just saying that Alabama is fortunate, that the College playoff people picking the best four teams aren't afraid of stepping on toes and picking the absolute best four teams regardless of record or best season. I realize what you are doing or nor doing, its high school not College. Carry on, never mind me.
You have me thoroughly confused.

I think that you like the rankings because you felt like I could have given us a B+ grade.

However, then I think that you aren't happy because Dinwiddie is not in the top ten.

The, you seem to be upset because you think that we do the rankings only by record (the TCU/Marshall point).

Then, you say that it's high school, not college, so it should be different.

I thought that I answered your question about Dinwiddie with my first reply as I treid to note several reasons why the Generals were ranked behind Eastern View, Courtland and Salem.

It seems like the conclusion that you drew from that post is that we go only by records, which is not the case.

I'm certainly willing to discuss the ins and outs of our process in order to make it more clear to you why certain teams are ranked above others, however, before doing that, I have to understand what issue that you would like me to address..

Can you clarify?

First, I don't have a issue or anything, just discussing. my point I was trying to make was this.
1. There are better teams in the East that had worse records , than teams in the west that had better records.
2. I understand you do them the way you do them because you don't want to be step on any toes ( as it seems) of any high school programs , and you want to promote fairness throughout the state.
3. My theory on comparing college rankings was to say that a 12-1 Marshall would never be ranked like a 12-1 Marshall. Obviously because of SOS.
4. I don't care about Dinwiddie being in the final rankings , was using them as a example, because in my opinion there is at least 3-5 teams in the East that would beat the bottom half of your final rankings.

That's about it.... Merry Xmas!

First, I don't have a issue or anything, just discussing. my point I was trying to make was this.
1. There are better teams in the East that had worse records , than teams in the west that had better records.
2. I understand you do them the way you do them because you don't want to be step on any toes ( as it seems) of any high school programs , and you want to promote fairness throughout the state.
3. My theory on comparing college rankings was to say that a 12-1 Marshall would never be ranked like a 12-1 Marshall. Obviously because of SOS.
4. I don't care about Dinwiddie being in the final rankings , was using them as a example, because in my opinion there is at least 3-5 teams in the East that would beat the bottom half of your final rankings.

That's about it.... Merry Xmas!
My apologies for a bad choice of words. I understand that you only wish to discuss.

Regarding your points...

I agree and I think that was reflected in the top ten where Monacan (11-3) was ranked higher than Liberty (12-2) and Jefferson Forest (12-1). As well with Heritage (12-2) ranking above GW-Danville (12-1). The once more with Kings Fork (10-3) ranked above Courtland (10-2) and Eastern View (10-2).

I can give you my word that is never the case. The thought of balancing the top ten to promote fairness has never once entered by head. See the 6A top ten where, for most of the season, 7 of the top 10 came from the North.

I may have missed your point as you compared my rankings to putting Marshall in the championship game which would not have been the call that I would have made. Again, record is an indicator but not the only indicator. SOS is a consideration as well. Where I think that we split is that I don't like people guessing who someone would beat, opting instead by looking at what teams actually did. (See issue #4)

This is the point of divide for me. I don't want to do rankings where I deal with "who would win" based on opinions and guesses.

I would prefer rankings to be structured around what actually did happen on the field.

Using your Dinwiddie example, were I writing a predictions article, I likely would pick them to beat a number of teams in the top ten. Predictions articles are for that purpose -- expressing the writer's opinion about who would win, explaining why, then guessing the score.

However, when doing rankings, I want to see what the teams actually accomplished on the field. When I do that, I don't see anything on Dinwiddie's 9-3 resume that looks better than Eastern View's 10-2. The Cyclones had more wins, more wins against teams with winning records, and better losses. I don't believe that SOS should override all three of those things. Maybe one or two, but not all three.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, as well.

I hope that provided some better insight, whether you agree or disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT