ADVERTISEMENT

HS Football related outbreaks???

RedPrideNation_RollPride

VaPreps All District
Oct 13, 2014
We are going on 6-7-8 weeks of football in states surrounding VA and I don't recall seeing any significant outbreaks attributed to high school football being played. Has anyone else noticed this or are we missing something? I am sure someone has information on this but the latest "report" I had read was an editorial that was done in Sept and it mentioned that of the 1000's of games already played no outbreaks had been reported. I realize that the law of averages says that someone reading this knows someone that has been affected by Covid-19 so I hesitate to be glib in making comments that we should already be playing.

And what is the deal with travel orgs of various sports proceeding as business as usual? I will say that it is more than frustrating to see a local "private" high school age football team compete every weekend. Then some of the state has kids wrestling while other wont consider even opening the gym for conditioning. Then you have travel baseball and softball which has been pretty much normal since July and there hasn't been a huge issue with an outbreak.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this but I can tell you I believe we are being way yonder too cautious. We played rec league baseball from late July on and never had a positive or presumptive positive with over 200 kids involved during that timeframe. There are differences of course in the level of contact but the baseball wasn't handled like it was toxic needing to be sanitized between each play. Caution and measures to mitigate the spread are palatable but I cant agree that we need to be as heavy handed on something that a parent and child can decide together on whether to participate. IMO, some that are more cautious will inevitably make that decision for everyone and to me that just isn't a justified stance to take.

My soapbox has gotten rickety so I need to step down real quick before it collapses.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Totally agree .. a pile of crap is my opinion. We need to get kids back in the hands of their high school coaches. Private facilities and private "trainers" are making a killing off the parents and kids, while the high schools are shuttered.

Many schools have in fact resumed sports training/practices (with some limitations). Talk to your local school officials if they haven’t in your area. Just because VHSL isn’t sanctioning games until February (speaking to football specifically), doesn’t mean schools can’t look out for their students and provide athletic opportunities.

There are some things occurring locally at the high school level but it isn’t where I would expect it to be. Of course like I said I think there is a little too much caution at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT