ADVERTISEMENT

HS Football Streaming Junky

757FridayNiteZ

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 9, 2015
I must confess, I didn't know what I was missing. With live & on-demand streaming access to this seasons' games, I have spent too much time this weekend watching HS football. I watched:

Lake Braddock vs Westfield
Deep Creek vs Indian River
Colonial Forge vs Riverbend

I didn't get to watch O. Smith vs Great Bridge. The game was canceled due to several players' Covid-19 quarantine requirements for GB.

Last edited:
Agree... watched Centreville at South Lakes and James Madison @ Falls Church the week before... and a lot of girls (and boys) basketball. Game feeds vary a lot, especially the announcing. Actually, South Lakes and West Potomac announcing for girls basketball was done by students and pretty good (Chantilly too, Madison was OK depending on the week).

Reactions: CavsGrad
The student announcers for the Lake Braddock-Westfield game were pretty entertaining, especially the kid exclaiming "That dude is a freaking beast!" when Legall had his touchdown run.

Have seen a lot of football streams on both youtube and NFHS that don't have a score graphic and never pan the camera to the scoreboard...you can get away with that for basketball in most gyms because the scoreboard will be in the shot occasionally, but for football it makes things almost impossible to follow.

The student announcers for the Lake Braddock-Westfield game were pretty entertaining, especially the kid exclaiming "That dude is a freaking beast!" when Legall had his touchdown run.

Have seen a lot of football streams on both youtube and NFHS that don't have a score graphic and never pan the camera to the scoreboard...you can get away with that for basketball in most gyms because the scoreboard will be in the shot occasionally, but for football it makes things almost impossible to follow.
I'm observing no score showing on the nfhs games or a clock counting down. Picture is fuzzy as heck and no sound. I'm pissed since i pay for a service i feel i am not getting.

It seems to vary by school. Some have full coverage by professional announcers with scorekeeping, some just tap into the audio coming into their camera setup. So, you hear the stadium announcer but you also hear that crazy fan that never stops screaming for the whole game. Then there's nothing but the video as you describe.

You cannot argue the value though!! You can pull up other games that you'd normally miss without the extensive streaming!! Additionally, these schools are having to set up the hardware with few resources to do it all.

VHSL reported that HS football stadium attendance to remain @ 250 through March. But, they will make another statement for April!!

So back to streaming Services for Friday. I think I'll be watching J. Madison vs Westfield, Highland Springs vs Glenn Allen & we'll see from the

Been no audio or score or clock for our games. Im dialing in the radio for audio when available but th

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
VHSL reported that HS football stadium attendance to remain @ 250 through March. But, they will make another statement for April!!

So back to streaming Services for Friday. I think I'll be watching J. Madison vs Westfield, Highland Springs vs Glenn Allen & we'll see from the

757FridayNiteZ --
For those interested... Westfield @ James Madison will be on the Warhawk Nation Live YouTube channel:

Not 6A but just saw Park View (Sterling) take their first win since I believe 2016, beating Lightridge 28-27 in two overtimes. Blocked an extra point to win it after giving up a touchdown pass on fourth down. Great to see. Props to Lightridge for providing an announcer on their stream.

This week I watched
Westfield vs Madison.
Hampton vs Phoebus
Robinson vs L. Braddock
Western Branch vs O. Smith

Most of these games had a couple of common themes. A lot of stupid penalties which if not cleaned up can & will adversely affect games for those that get to make the playoffs. Second, most games seem to show a big difference in competitiveness in the second half.

Moving into the 2nd half of the season, I think team discipline & stamina are going to continue to be deciding factors as they move into the playoffs!!!

This week I watched
Westfield vs Madison.
Hampton vs Phoebus
Robinson vs L. Braddock
Western Branch vs O. Smith

Most of these games had a couple of common themes. A lot of stupid penalties which if not cleaned up can & will adversely affect games for those that get to make the playoffs. Second, most games seem to show a big difference in competitiveness in the second half.

Moving into the 2nd half of the season, I think team discipline & stamina are going to continue to be deciding factors as they move into the playoffs!!!
That Phoebus/Hampton game had a lot of penalties. There was a lot of confusion on the field from the referees and players throughout the game. The game took more than 3 hours to complete. I think this was Hampton's 1st game and Phoebus' 2nd. I've seen several games like that this year. Just no flow. I figure teams have to iron out a lot of wrinkles before playoffs. There were some flashes of brilliance, so they'll get it figured it out.

...at least as far as Westfield goes, I watched their Lake Braddock game and was taking pictures at the James Madison game... (yes, I am a Warhawks guy). Stamina was key Friday night, Madison was getting better leverage and the Bulldogs sloppier with line play technique as the game wore into the 4th quarter. I have a number of pics with Bulldog linemen on both sides of the ball getting stood up and put off balance (bigger guys too).

As the weather gets warmer the stamina issues will get worse, too. Come time for that State game in May, we could easily see a very high humid day in the mid 80's if the game is in the 757!!!

Reactions: SPL311U
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT