ADVERTISEMENT

I don't wanna be that guy but....

Aug 21, 2016
It's hard for a team to win with the calls louisa got yesterday. Don't get me wrong Salem deserves to win they played amazing. But Louisa was called for holding on at least 3 runs of 20+ yards. The ref was in the way of the receiver that lead to a pick 6. Louisa over came all that just to have a possible game winning drive ended on a shaky spot on 4th down. Don't get me wrong that I'm discrediting Salem they are an incredible program, but it's tough to win when all the calls go against you.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
It's hard for a team to win with the calls louisa got yesterday. Don't get me wrong Salem deserves to win they played amazing. But Louisa was called for holding on at least 3 runs of 20+ yards. The ref was in the way of the receiver that lead to a pick 6. Louisa over came all that just to have a possible game winning drive ended on a shaky spot on 4th down. Don't get me wrong that I'm discrediting Salem they are an incredible program, but it's tough to win when all the calls go against you.
Wow

You are wrong on so many levels. So are you saying the officials shouldn't have thrown flags on plays with penalties committed by Louisa? I can see how Louisa would be difficult to beat if they aren't allowed to be called for penalties... Haha
Also, have you ever considered that those plays turned into big runs as a result of those holds? Lastly, if you thought that last spot was bad you are blinded by your bias.
Salem was the better team... Period!

Last edited:
We are all blinded by our bias. Salem is not 21 better than Louisa. I think Salem beats Louisa 7 out of 10 times. Yesterday was just not their day. They made too many mistakes against a very good team that made fewer.

Then don't be that guy. I had no horse in that race. Salem was better. Louisa lost because Salem was better. That's all.

In my opinion, the officiating was fine. Louisa's penalties were the result of the kids trying to do too much, on the biggest stage, against a fundamental, disciplined defense, instead of settling down. I also thought the 4th down spot was fine. I had a good angle and Bell was down before extending his arm all the way. Maybe it could've been measured since it was such a crucial play, but the official even did Louisa a favor by leaving the ball where Bell placed it.

My only complaint about the officials was the pick 6 play with the official in the way.

Then don't be that guy. Umpire's get in the way of the play sometimes. Part of the game. Isn't it possible that more flags were thrown against Louisa because they committed more penalties? Both teams made mistakes but Louisa didn't take advantage. Salem had intercepted 3 passes out of 3 chances. Louisa dropped an almost sure pick-6 of their own on the center screen pass.
Louisa forced 3 fumbles but only fell on one. Louisa forced a punt and had great field position but committed a roughing the punter penalty (WAY obvious) and ended up losing about 30 yards of field position and 2-3 minutes of clock, which forced them to throw the ball which resulted in an end zone interception. Then the allowed a huge run on an obvious running play and were lucky to block the FG at the end of the half. (Not to mention the obvious late hit on that play).
Overall more mistakes by the Lions and didn't take advantage of Salem's.

The ref getting in the way was unfortunate. And Louisa did get a few tough calls but they couldn't stop Ramsey. That is what decided this game. it was always about who could get stops. Salem got a few more.

Reactions: one man
You are wrong on so many levels. So are you saying the officials shouldn't have thrown flags on plays with penalties committed by Louisa? I can see how Louisa would be difficult to beat if they aren't allowed to be called for penalties... Haha
Also, have you ever considered that those plays turned into big runs as a result of those holds? Lastly, if you thought that last spot was bad you are blinded by your bias.
Salem was the better team... Period!
Before you get your panties in a bunch, re read my post lol.... I clearly admitted that Salem played better and deserved to win. The official being in the way lead to a pick 6. You would have to be incompetent to not admit that changes the flow of a game. And holding wise.... there may have been holding. But in highschool football there is holding on every single play. It simply depends on the type of refs if they call every single tug or the let the boys play. I'm not saying that they were out to get us, I'm saying they were very very picky, and holding hasn't been a real problem for us like it was last night. And as for the spot, I at least wanted a measurement. It was the play the biggest play up till that point. At least measure it out. We lost to a great team as I stated before, we just didn't get any help in the slightest. Every big run first quarter called back. Hard to win like that.

Before you get your panties in a bunch, re read my post lol.... I clearly admitted that Salem played better and deserved to win. The official being in the way lead to a pick 6. You would have to be incompetent to not admit that changes the flow of a game. And holding wise.... there may have been holding. But in highschool football there is holding on every single play. It simply depends on the type of refs if they call every single tug or the let the boys play. I'm not saying that they were out to get us, I'm saying they were very very picky, and holding hasn't been a real problem for us like it was last night. And as for the spot, I at least wanted a measurement. It was the play the biggest play up till that point. At least measure it out. We lost to a great team as I stated before, we just didn't get any help in the slightest. Every big run first quarter called back. Hard to win like that.
Wow. Just wow

CVA, sorry but it sounds like your coming up with excuses after excuses. Football teams have to deal with,adversity all season long to be great you learn how deal with that adversity, last night Louisa could not deal with it. From day 1 Coaches and players know this that is why teams practice as hard as they do. Tom Hanks once said there is no crying in baseball, there is no crying in football either.

Last edited:
Salem delt with adversity we had 3 Starters hurt, not playing that game Heck maybe it was even 4 players

Roanoke times sports writer Robert anderson summed it up after Salem beat Charlottesville 72-34...until a team finds a way to stop Ramsey....Salem will not lose another game!!!!

CVA, sorry but it sounds like your coming up with excuses after excuses. Football teams have to deal with,adversity all season long to be great you learn how deal with that adversity, last night Louisa could not deal with it. From day 1 Coaches and players know this that is why teams practice as hard as they do. Tom Hanks once said there is no crying in baseball, there is no crying in football either.
Lmao. So if a pick 6 was scored on your team in the state championship game because the ref was in the way of the receivers route you wouldn't be mildly frustrated? Yeah right.

Not sure why your bringing this up it was 42 to 22 so you would of scored 30. Salem would of had 35 would not of mattered cva.

Lmao. So if a pick 6 was scored on your team in the state championship game because the ref was in the way of the receivers route you wouldn't be mildly frustrated? Yeah right.
So were the refs being fair or unfair? Are you saying the umpire interference was bad luck or something more nefarious? Were the flags the result of:
A: The result incompetence by the officials
B: Officials wanting Salem to win
C: Salem having the best defense Louisa has seen and were not ready for their speed and strength.

Reactions: SalemPride
Honestly if you want my honest opinion CVA. The refs were half the battle what hurt you guys the most you relied to much on 1 player, and I am sure that offense you guys run did not help much either.

Not sure why your bringing this up it was 42 to 22 so you would of scored 30. Salem would of had 35 would not of mattered cva.
Football is not just a numbers game. There is momentum and teams go on runs that defy what numbers say should happen. Had that pick 6 not happened, would Malik have still felt he had to make a big play and throw 3 more picks? Could or play calling been different? Who knows. Admit to yourself that was a big play in the game. And I actually agree with you we used bell way too much. I like our offense though, got us through 14 teams including undefeated dinwiddie and monican. But yes we used bell too much and that did not help us.

It was also a big play when Louisa got the fumble recovery deep in Salem territory in the third quarter. What if Salem wouldn’t have fumbled ? Would Ramsey have ripped off another 70 yard run? Woulda coulda shoulda...everyone knows the rest of the quote .

It was also a big play when Louisa got the fumble recovery deep in Salem territory in the third quarter. What if Salem wouldn’t have fumbled ? Would Ramsey have ripped off another 70 yard run? Woulda coulda shoulda...everyone knows the rest of the quote .
I have no idea how you compaire a ref running into a receiver and causing a pick 6 to a player fumbling I will never know... one is uncontrollable, the other is. Anyone can understand that

I have no idea how you compaire a ref running into a receiver and causing a pick 6 to a player fumbling I will never know... one is uncontrollable, the other is. Anyone can understand that
His point in this would be Salem, maybe would of scored again without that kickoff fumble

Everyone needs to let this poster go. That's why my only response until now has been wow. I recommend no response or just WOW. Let it go

My point is , a Salem player could just as easy ran into the ref. Nobody was calling extra holding penalties, and you kind of sound like a sore loser.
Idk if you really can't understand my point or don't want to understand my point... it wasn't a Salem player. It was a louisa player. It was an accident by the ref. No ones saying it was malicious. But accident by the official hurt losing and a really really tough game even tougher. That's the only point. As I said before congrats to Salem on a heckuva game. I just wish that officiating mistake had not happened. That is all. Really haven't said anything controversial, I guess some posted are just looking for a fight.

You see the problem with your argument is it is actually illegal to hold in football. Can't do it. It causes you to get big plays when you shouldn't. It has to be called. Don't want calls to go against you, don't hold.

Of the last three state championship teams for Salem this team struggled the most with defense. They improved as the season progressed and they were gritty but they struggled more than the defense from the two previous years. Offensively they were very close to the last two years.

The first holding was a form tackle on the defensive end that was in position to make the tackle at the LOS... pretty much impossible to miss that.

LT, Dinwiddie, and Louisa can all be better than Salem, so long as everyone knows whose name is on that trophy.

Every year someone invents more garbage to steel themselves over Salem winning again because they always deep down think Salem is undeserving despite every single shred of history in the modern era telling you that Salem is actually by leaps and goddamn bounds the most deserving because they are without any question the most dominant, consistent program in the whole state regardless of classification.

2015: people complain about flags and game location
2016: people (not our two Dinwiddie regulars) complain about Salem's lack of flags
2017: people complain about flags

Some of you East fans sound like a broken record. I don't care how many times you type "but Salem won so blah blah blah" it doesn't mean this is what you actually think. Salem is smaller than your team, they're slower than your team, they didn't do enough in other games and so by all rights and logic your team deserves to win and theirs doesn't and when the outcome doesn't match up you invent a narrative to help you cope with the loss.

How many more undefeated East teams does Salem need to beat in the finals? Beating them in OT isn't OK, beating them in regulation by single digits isn't OK, beating them by three TDs isn't OK. You tell me how many more 3-peats (btw 8 of those ever across all divisions and Salem has 2) Salem needs. How many more 10 win seasons. How many more postseason wins (btw most in entire state over last 2 decades) do they need? Draw the line so Salem knows what they need to do next and then think hard because I guarantee you those kids will make you move the goalposts again.

Idk if you really can't understand my point or don't want to understand my point... it wasn't a Salem player. It was a louisa player. It was an accident by the ref. No ones saying it was malicious. But accident by the official hurt losing and a really really tough game even tougher. That's the only point. As I said before congrats to Salem on a heckuva game. I just wish that officiating mistake had not happened. That is all. Really haven't said anything controversial, I guess some posted are just looking for a fight.
It was not a mistake for the ref to be there. That is where the ref always is...you have to be aware when running your routes.

Why even debate with the guy? Despite his assertion to the contrary he has shown himself to be that guy in this discussion. Every fan base, even Salem, has at least one. Congratulations to the Spartans on finishing! Three in a row speaks for itself. Speaking of fortunate occurrences Salem's most fortunate IMO actually occurred at the expense of one of its own. Owen's injury scuttled the program correct decision of platooning and allowed its best weapon by far to get more touches and they needed every one of them to get number three.

2015: people complain about flags and game location
2016: people (not our two Dinwiddie regulars) complain about Salem's lack of flags
2017: people complain about flags
Also in 2015: Coaches complaining about how wide the field goal posts are. Also, complaining about missed FGs, claiming that made it even when confronted with video evidence that proved it to be wide.

did you see the game and are you aware with under 6 min to play louisa was on the 25 looking to take the lead. you are a little out of balance here. it only got out of hand with 3 and a half min to play

Anybody who has ever played football knows and I think it’s even in the rule book. The referee is considered part of the field , no such thing as referee interference.
wow for once this guy says something i can agree on. he didnt get in the way louisa tried to use him as a pick and it backfired thats all.

im a 79 grad from louisa and a huge fan as i travel from Pa. on a weekly basis and didnt miss a playoff game. i will tell you all without blinders louisa lost because of sloppy play and they most certainly can beat salem.....it wasnt there night and ramsey killed them. 17,5,3 didnt help either. but i did have a problem with the 3 refs that watched 58 pull on bell for eight yards and never even flinched. other than that the mark on forth down was correct and the ref didnt run into anyone so get over it. salem was for sure the better team that night. god bless coach fischer in his fight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT