ADVERTISEMENT

I know this early but which will be the teams to beat next year in region D?

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
I think Salem will be down. At least by their definition. Lose a lot. Got Qb back, but will have to find backs and receivers. I think Blacksburg loses a lot also

Danville! They're gonna be nasty again. Cville's defense will be much improved but the offense won't be as effective. Jefferson Forest will be good this year, as will Glass. Here would be my early early rankings...

1. GW Danville
2. EC Glass
3. Salem
4. Charlottesville
5. Jefferson Forest
6. Blacksburg
7. Amherst
8. William Byrd

Amherst loses alot. Blacksburg loses very few seniors, but they are really good players. Glass graduates some good football players but there strength is in their sophomore class. Here is my guess.
Glass
GW
Salem
Blacksburg
JF
C-ville
Amherst
Byrd
I think the 1st 5 will be a cut above the rest.

Reactions: lyhsports
Amherst loses alot. Blacksburg loses very few seniors, but they are really good players. Glass graduates some good football players but there strength is in their sophomore class. Here is my guess.
Glass
GW
Salem
Blacksburg
JF
C-ville
Amherst
Byrd
I think the 1st 5 will be a cut above the rest.

What @Hilltoperhokie said. The Sophomore class for Glass is VERY good. Quarterback play should be better too. If JF can improve on defense(something that they haven't done in the last few years), they will be at the top. Amherst will also need to improve to be top tier.

Last edited:
JV having a good year is usually not a good indication for varsity. JV is good when a program can allow there sophomores to stay on JV. Glass Jv was 6-3 but they had 10 sophomores playing varsity. If those kids could have played jv they would have beat everyone they played by 5-6 touchdowns.

JV having a good year is usually not a good indication for varsity. JV is good when a program can allow there sophomores to stay on JV. Glass Jv was 6-3 but they had 10 sophomores playing varsity. If those kids could have played jv they would have beat everyone they played by 5-6 touchdowns.

That was similar to last year too. Glass JV went 7-3, but they had a few sophomores playing varsity, and they called the freshman QB up in the middle of the season.

I like Glass and JF based on youth and if healthy. With Salem, they will be top 3. The others may be picking up pieces and the schedules could hurt early in. Blacksburg will visit Amh. Amh will visit Salem and GW looking at reverse of this year. Not sure but Cville is really impressive if they return half the offense. Salem is Salem until otherwise noted but where is the youngest Ramsey kid in terms of grade?
Could a team like Pulaski step up in competition? Nice size county with talent that usually gives them a good starting point.

You have to consider everything in context of the entire program(varsity, jv and possibly freshmen). At real programs they play sophomores/freshmen in mostly exceptional cases and circumstances and younger kids generally pay their dues.

Salem must find a running back. Been blessed with great backs last five years. Those guys helped Salem get 61 wins the last five years.

Last edited:
I like Glass and JF based on youth and if healthy. With Salem, they will be top 3. The others may be picking up pieces and the schedules could hurt early in. Blacksburg will visit Amh. Amh will visit Salem and GW looking at reverse of this year. Not sure but Cville is really impressive if they return half the offense. Salem is Salem until otherwise noted but where is the youngest Ramsey kid in terms of grade?
Could a team like Pulaski step up in competition? Nice size county with talent that usually gives them a good starting point.
Lewis Ramsey will be a Soph next year. He was injured for most of this year.

Danville! They're gonna be nasty again. Cville's defense will be much improved but the offense won't be as effective. Jefferson Forest will be good this year, as will Glass. Here would be my early early rankings...

1. GW Danville
2. EC Glass
3. Salem
4. Charlottesville
5. Jefferson Forest
6. Blacksburg
7. Amherst
8. William Byrd
Accuracy is always suspect, but if you go to Maxpreps GW shows 31 seniors on the roster. I don't know the team make-up but that seems like a lot

Have you not seen Zavione Wood? He was a better freshman this year than any of the great Salem RBs they have had recently.
. If he's better than FOx, Ramsey, Ramsey, Owen, and Clayborn then he must be dang good. Checked video, he has a lot of potential. Will have to see if he gets quicker in the hole as he gets older. That explosion in the hole distinguishes the good backs from the great backs.

Last edited:

1. GW Danville
2. EC Glass
3. Salem
4. Charlottesville
5. Jefferson Forest
6. Blacksburg
7. Amherst
8. William Byrd
Actually Amherst returns a lot, QB graduates but heard have a couple good JV qb

Mike, is he running back?
He played RB & LB at ALMS. This past year he was out most of the year with an injury and the early JV games were all away so I never saw him at RB. Wood #42 was the Frosh JV RB and he's very explosive. He also likes to hit from the DE/OLB position. Next year they will have Richardson, Newby, (RB or WR) and Persinger to tote the ball also. (Sutphin FB)

Last edited:
Have you not seen Zavione Wood? He was a better freshman this year than any of the great Salem RBs they have had recently.
Zavione is going to be a big deal sooner versus later. I've been high on him all year and have told many that I thought he could make an impact now on the varsity squad even as a freshman. He had a nice run against GW, but I've been even more impressed with him on the defensive side of the ball. He plays super aggressive and has that true football mentality to go along with his athleticism.

Reactions: salemfan32
Word on the street is Avante may be back as well. Zavione is a true athlete will be nice to see how he progresses.

Amherst may return a lot but they lose 11 lineman and a bunch of them were starters, and there qb. I always evaluate a team in terms of lineman. They may win the states, I just know its harder to replace the guys up front.

. If he's better than FOx, Ramsey, Ramsey, Owen, and Clayborn then he must be dang good. Checked video, he has a lot of potential. Will have to see if he gets quicker in the hole as he gets older. That explosion in the hole distinguishes the good backs from the great backs.
He is very complete. Very good vision and cutting ability, breaks a lot of tackles and has good power. He needs to get faster but for a freshman that has good size, he is pretty fast.

Accuracy is always suspect, but if you go to Maxpreps GW shows 31 seniors on the roster. I don't know the team make-up but that seems like a lot
All of GW’s skill players return. They’ll be bigger on the lines but no experience. They will be good enough to beat Amherst, JF and LCA but don’t know how they’ll match up with the Salem’s and Blacksburgs and Glass’s. They gotta get out of that weenie dog/peewee Piedmont District if they want to compete with the big boys.

Just my humble opinion. Programs like GW and Amherst have lost it. Both teams outta be at least a threat to win it all every year along with Salem . One program is the only school in a city with a population of 45k+ and another is one of the storied programs in the state and the only high school in the county. No knock on the coaches but I put the blame on the kids. Kids just aren’t focused anymore. Too many other distractions. Them boys at Salem just reload..They love to play football..Can’t say that about GW and Amherst. I call those two teams out because we expect better every year. These boys gotta want it more. I can’t speak for the Amherst fans but I’m not getting my hopes up with GW. Can’t go 10-0 and blow it come playoff time. Can’t be just be happy to be there.

Reactions: OCBoy
Just my humble opinion. Programs like GW and Amherst have lost it. Both teams outta be at least a threat to win it all every year along with Salem . One program is the only school in a city with a population of 45k+ and another is one of the storied programs in the state and the only high school in the county. No knock on the coaches but I put the blame on the kids. Kids just aren’t focused anymore. Too many other distractions. Them boys at Salem just reload..They love to play football..Can’t say that about GW and Amherst. I call those two teams out because we expect better every year. These boys gotta want it more. I can’t speak for the Amherst fans but I’m not getting my hopes up with GW. Can’t go 10-0 and blow it come playoff time. Can’t be just be happy to be there.
Looks like the area that needs to be focused on is in the trenches. If you can't get out of district gonna have upgrade out of district schedule

He played RB & LB at ALMS. This past year he was out most of the year with an injury and the early JV games were all away so I never saw him at RB. Wood #42 was the Frosh JV RB and he's very explosive. He also likes to hit from the DE/OLB position. Next year they will have Richardson, Newby, (RB or WR) and Persinger to tote the ball also. (Sutphin FB)
Be nice to get the linebacker back that left this past year,. Forgot name. He really looked good as a sophomore

Amherst may return a lot but they lose 11 lineman and a bunch of them were starters, and there qb. I always evaluate a team in terms of lineman. They may win the states, I just know its harder to replace the guys up front.
They’ll be fine and they get Ross back. He will be even better next year

Be nice to get the linebacker back that left this past year,. Forgot name. He really looked good as a sophomore
Britton is at Blue Ridge and according to Maxpreps he's listed as a Sophomore. So either he has re-classed and will stay there or Maxpreps/the school could have made a mistake. He was a Sophomore last year. He is listed at 6'1" 207.

He did reclass and will not be coming back. He is doing well there.

Britton is at Blue Ridge and according to Maxpreps he's listed as a Sophomore. So either he has re-classed and will stay there or Maxpreps/the school could have made a mistake. He was a Sophomore last year. He is listed at 6'1" 207.

Reactions: mike salem
Ross will have a decent year but that line made Ross into a better RB than he really is.One thing to watch out for is C.J Rose,can he step in and take over the QB position with the pedigree he has.
Trying to be positive here and hope. We can’t continue to be mediocre, start out good and then not so good come playoff time as in the past years, that is not Amherst football. Ross will be great next year, heard have several JV players coming up

Last edited:

1. GW Danville
2. EC Glass
3. Salem
4. Charlottesville
5. Jefferson Forest
6. Blacksburg
7. Amherst
8. William Byrd

I wouldn't put us so high. We lose 7 starters on offense including QB, both SB and both OG. Do return 3/5 of OL and RB Folley. Lose 7 starters on defense as well. Return 2 safeties, ILB, DT. Edges will be all new Ends and Corners.
We had 25 Varsity players this past year, dressed 9 JV guys for our 34 man roster. We lose 13 seniors. We've got talent coming back and young guys we like but must put in a ton of strength/conditioning work this offseason. Depth was a huge issue for us all year and will continue to be moving forward. JV did have 31 players which is good but probably 12 of those guys were playing for the first time. We will be young next year with a 10 man senior class. I certainly think if all the chips fall our way, we could be in the top half of the region but realistically with our schedule (Glass, Hburg, JM, who all won at least 1 playoff game this year) and inexperience, we should be starting in the 5-8 range.
I'd go Glass, Salem, BBurg, GW in order as top 4. Us, Amherst, JF, Pulaski in the 2nd tier in no order.

Trying to be positive here and hope. We can’t continue to be mediocre, start out good and then not so good come playoff time as in the past years, that is not Amherst football. Ross will be great next year, heard have several JV players coming up
I've stayed positive for so long but when we year in and year out don't improve as a football team,its a problem.These players want structure and right now its not happening.

Reactions: wikki
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT