ADVERTISEMENT

I know this early but which will be the teams to beat next year in region D?

It’s hard to stay positive when your team underachieves every year.
I could care less about wins and losses but I'm tired seeing our players getting into it on the sidelines,I'm tired of seeing our players throwing helmets and just not giving a damn,thats not Amherst Football.Some of those players should've been kickoff the team way before the GW game.I witness parents telling their kids to behave on the sidelines while a game was going on.I don't know who to blame1.Head Coach 2.Asst Coach 3.Parents 4.Kids or everybody.

It’s hard to stay positive when your team underachieves every year.
Yeah being in the Piedmont is a huge hurdle to overcome IMO. 7 straight weeks of weak competition, then have to quickly adjust to the game speed of a good opponent. I think it definitely helped that we played Amherst in regular season so the kids knew what to expect. But Salem just seemed unbeatable. They exposed the weak links of our defense that Piedmont teams couldn't. Looking back GW had some glaring holes on defense that the coaches were able to cover up some until Salem. IMO we had some guys on defense who were a little scared. Had a few guys against Salem that looked like they ran away from Ramsey when he got the ball on toss sweep or off tackle.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Yeah being in the Piedmont is a huge hurdle to overcome IMO. 7 straight weeks of weak competition, then have to quickly adjust to the game speed of a good opponent. I think it definitely helped that we played Amherst in regular season so the kids knew what to expect. But Salem just seemed unbeatable. They exposed the weak links of our defense that Piedmont teams couldn't. Looking back GW had some glaring holes on defense that the coaches were able to cover up some until Salem. IMO we had some guys on defense who were a little scared. Had a few guys against Salem that looked like they ran away from Ramsey when he got the ball on toss sweep or off tackle.
Thanks for the honesty! I believe the same thing. After Tucker scored on that intermediate pass that was designed to go 5 yards..I knew it was going to be a long night. Guys had their heads down and lost all enthusiasm. GW is a lot better than that.

Reactions: btowenatc
I also don’t want to forget about LCA. They will be better and adjust as a public school member. The coavh has been around football all his life and they were competitive up to the last week.

I could care less about wins and losses but I'm tired seeing our players getting into it on the sidelines,I'm tired of seeing our players throwing helmets and just not giving a damn,thats not Amherst Football.Some of those players should've been kickoff the team way before the GW game.I witness parents telling their kids to behave on the sidelines while a game was going on.I don't know who to blame1.Head Coach 2.Asst Coach 3.Parents 4.Kids or everybody.

I would vote #4. Any time it is allowed at home why would we expect different on the field. A symptom of society. The adults should be in lock step to develop the young men and women, with a common voice of success that includes discipline and results.

I’m a little tired of hearing the sour grapes from GW, as usual the eagles don’t have what it takes on the gridiron to get past. GW didn’t man handle any Seminole teams this year which told me they would be in trouble. The schedule isn’t necessarily the problem, this time of the year it comes down to execution. No Dinwiddie fan is claiming that EV was a slouch opponent after they were hammered for a poor schedule. Understand Danville has the talent on the field, they just don’t put it together when it needs to. Basketball has been struggling to get over the hurdle as well.

Reactions: falcettik
I would vote #4. Any time it is allowed at home why would we expect different on the field. A symptom of society. The adults should be in lock step to develop the young men and women, with a common voice of success that includes discipline and results.
Thanks Lnacerhoo..I would say 80% of Amherst doesn't like coach Phillips but I do.He knows how to coach offense and he is a very good man.I just wish he would find a defensive cord and better coaches to tighten up on these kids.

Reactions: Lnacerhoo
The lancers just don’t have the coaching to get by, when I played I thought the Lancers under Abel/Phillips were night and day. I can’t speak for locker room culture but it seems like Phillips does the right things they just don’t translate into W’s. The program has been moving in a different direction and I haven’t seen the results of what was hoped for, Abel’s last crop left in 2010/2011, and there hasn’t been a championship game appearance since. Amherst isn’t the same, maybe a new infusion would rejuvenate the program but Phillips seems entrenched.

The lancers just don’t have the coaching to get by, when I played I thought the Lancers under Abel/Phillips were night and day. I can’t speak for locker room culture but it seems like Phillips does the right things they just don’t translate into W’s. The program has been moving in a different direction and I haven’t seen the results of what was hoped for, Abel’s last crop left in 2010/2011, and there hasn’t been a championship game appearance since. Amherst isn’t the same, maybe a new infusion would rejuvenate the program but Phillips seems entrenched.
Some rumblings is going on and I do agree rainman.The biggest difference is Abel was strict better not miss a practice or weightlifting.I heard stories of Abel coaching little league after high school practice.He had a firm grip on everything.

Reactions: wikki and rainman17
I’m a little tired of hearing the sour grapes from GW, as usual the eagles don’t have what it takes on the gridiron to get past. GW didn’t man handle any Seminole teams this year which told me they would be in trouble. The schedule isn’t necessarily the problem, this time of the year it comes down to execution. No Dinwiddie fan is claiming that EV was a slouch opponent after they were hammered for a poor schedule. Understand Danville has the talent on the field, they just don’t put it together when it needs to. Basketball has been struggling to get over the hurdle as well.
Aye mane, nobody has any sour grapes. We just stating facts. GW goes 9-1/10-0 and loses to teams they should be able to compete with/beat. Mediocrity is already built in these kids minds. Can’t beat up on Tunstall and Bassett and expect to get better. There’s no reason why GW doesn’t have the culture Salem and other big time programs have. No sour grapes just facts. Cutnjump’s theory of the program is spot on. BTW, if GW was in the Seminole, they’d be a top 3 team in the Seminole year in and year out and they’d be a lot more competitive against better competition. Can’t win nothing beating up on inferior competition. Same with basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: falcettik
Aye mane, nobody has any sour grapes. We just stating facts. GW goes 9-1/10-0 and loses to teams they should be able to compete with/beat. Mediocrity is already built in these kids minds. Can’t beat up on Tunstall and Bassett and expect to get better. There’s no reason why GW doesn’t have the culture Salem and other big time programs have. No sour grapes just facts. Cutnjump’s theory of the program is spot on. BTW, if GW was in the Seminole, they’d be a top 3 team in the Seminole year in and year out and they’d be a lot more competitive against the Salem’s. Can’t win nothing beating up on inferior competition. Same with basketball.

It's been this way for a long time at GW. When I was playing we would beat up on Halifax, PH, EC Glass, etc. then have to play C.D. Hylton first round.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I also don’t want to forget about LCA. They will be better and adjust as a public school member. The coavh has been around football all his life and they were competitive up to the last week.

I FORGOT ABOUT LCA! They Lose some key linemen, but I'm pretty high on them in the 5-8 range next year. Especially if they can work on the defense. The offense is very good, and should be good next year.

It's been this way for a long time at GW. When I was playing we would beat up on Halifax, PH, EC Glass, etc. then have to play C.D. Hylton first round.
GW really could do a lot better. We’re less than an hours drive from Page, Hillside, Dudley, Reidsville, Eastern Alamance, West Forsyth, Mount Tabor, etc...We don’t play none of these teams. We’d be so much better prepared. Playing Amherst and the Seminole teams is ok, but why drive an hour 30 when you can go 50 miles and play perennial contenders. The Seminole is a lot better fit than the Piedmont... Sad that the administration is complacent in that district.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT