ADVERTISEMENT

Illegal helmet contact penalty

spartan2005

VaPreps Rookie
Dec 11, 2004
Saw this called several times in a game this week or assume that was the call. Penalty was personal foul signal followed by the white hat touching the side of his head. What actions by a player give rise to this call? Not saying the calls were wrong, just interested in understanding the rule.

That is the signal for targeting. Either using the helmet as a weapon or hitting the helmet/facemask of the opponent with the helmet, hand, arm, elbow or fist.

The NFHS wants the head taken out of the game. Officials have been told forever that if you're not sure if an action is a foul, don't flag it. For targeting, they've said if you're not sure, flag it.

How many targeting calls were there?

Three, all by the white hat. I'm guessing that unlike college, targeting does not result in ejection in HS, assuming that is what was called. I understand the focus on protecting the head but not in instructing officials to call something they are not sure of. Two of the calls gave the offense a first down when they would have had to punt. Didn't make any difference in the outcome of the game but it could have in a close game. Both teams were pretty physical but sportsmanship was excellent on the part of both teams.

This post was edited on 9/8 7:41 PM by spartan2005

I'm not a big fan of the "when in doubt, flag it" philosophy either. Don't know many who are.

It's also asking officials to judge the intent of a player. I can see where it all could drive a player or coach crazy because it's nearly impossible to call with any consistency at all.

You're right that targeting is not an ejection in high school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT