ADVERTISEMENT

im guessing moncn won or they r n triple ot

Lake Taylor won

Monocan blocked the fg and ran off to celebrate. LT scooped and scored the block. The ball never crossed teh line of scrimmage making it a live ball. LT cheated defeat tonite. Not the better team

Re: Lake Taylor won

Apparently they have a really bad kicker, not good if it is close in the State game. You said not better team but they still won. They missed the extra points and two point conversions. Monocan sure figured something out about them and that no one else was able to do this year

Your line about cheated defeat is accurate. Saying they were lucky to win would be accurate. Saying they were "not the better team" is open for debate. Turnovers and penalties in the redzone negating scoring opportunities must be considered and actually knowing the rules of the game at the end comes in to play as well. Tough loss for the Monacan team and they are to be congratulated on a GREAT effort!! Unfortunately this one will sting for quite a while. Will be interesting to look at all the stats from the game to get a better feel for what went on but, the only one that matters in the end was the score at 0:00. The other thing to think about is this COULD have been a state final instead of a semifinal if 4A cross bracketed.

Best team on a given night is the team with the most points. Forgetting to cover a blocked kick makes you the worse team. I am heartbroken for Monacan, but Lake Taylor made a furious comeback and put themselves in position to win and did what champions do, they took advantage of the other teams' mistake.

Monacan needs to figure out to use this as a springboard for next year. Nothing short of a state title is going to get the taste of this one out of their mouth.

Originally posted by GilliamRatings:
Best team on a given night is the team with the most points. Forgetting to cover a blocked kick makes you the worse team. I am heartbroken for Monacan, but Lake Taylor made a furious comeback and put themselves in position to win and did what champions do, they took advantage of the other teams' mistake.

Monacan needs to figure out to use this as a springboard for next year. Nothing short of a state title is going to get the taste of this one out of their mouth.
Obviously the Monacan team also needs to learn some football rules. Especially when the ball becomes dead.

Read my post on the "blocked field goal problem," this happens much more often than you might suspect. Fans, players and even coaches are ignorant of the kicking rules in high school because they watch too much NFL. I've even been at a game where I saw the officials blow a kick dead in this very situation and the team got a rekick due to an inadvertent whistle (still missed it and after the touchback the defense end up with the ball in better field position--no one in the crowd knew what the heck was going on).

The thing to remember in high school is this:

There is no definition of a field goal attempt in high school. The term has no meaning in the rules. What we commonly call a field goal attempt is a SCRIMMAGE kick. Punts, place kicks and drop kicks are all legal scrimmage kicks and are treated EXACTLY the same in the rules except that place kicks and drop kicks can score three points if they pass through the uprights. Also remember that a field goal try is not the same as an extra point try. The play is over on an extra point once the kick fails. Most high school "field goal" block teams end up defending a lot more extra points than field goals.

So I submit to you that if you had the Monacan kids in a classroom sometime this week before the game they would have been able to tell you that you need to recover the ball after a blocked field goal, but that sometimes adrenaline shuts off your brain, and if most of us had been out there we wouldn't have been the lone Chief to remember to go get on the football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT