ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Items from the October VHSL Membership Meetings

Virginia HS Football Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 8, 2001
Hi everyone.

I had not seen this brought up anywhere on the boards. And since my school is in Class 4, I thought I would post these nuggets on here (for selfish reasons of course).

In my opinion, the VHSL website is pretty abysmal where things aren't easy to find. However, I found a couple of things that were discussed in the recent meeting that I thought many people would be interested in.

THE BELOW ITEMS ARE NOT BINDING AND OFFICIAL. THESE ARE JUST COMMITTEE VOTES! (SORRY FOR THE CAPS, BUT I KNOW HOW SOME PEOPLE LIKE TO SPREAD RUMORS LIKE THEY ARE GOSPEL.) - The next steps is for the committee members to go back to their regional members to discuss the votes and to receive feedback which will then be discussed once again at the VHSL's next meeting in March.

The below were votes taken from the Ad Hoc Participation Committee.

1. Discussion about shortening the length of football season.
a. The committee took a straw vote which passed 15-5-1 to eliminate one scrimmage and to shorten practice from 20 to 15 days.
b. The committee took a straw vote which passed 11-4 to start practice one week later.
c. The committee took a straw vote that failed 21-0 to cut the regular season from 10 to 9 games.
d. The committee took a straw vote which was tied at 7-7-3 that regions only qualify four to the region tournament.​

2. Instant Replay
a. The committee took a straw vote which passed 21-0 to use instant replay in state championship games.​

There is also a mention in the notes about going to a 4 or a 5 Class system where Class 1 would have a cutoff of 400 instead of 475 which is it now. Also, Class 1 wants to stick with a 6 Class system. The committee also discussed leaving Class 1 and 2 alone and you really get the feeling of a divide between Classes 1 & 2 compared to Classes 3 thru 6. Interestingly enough, there will be committee discussion into breaking Classes 3 thru 6 into thirds. So that would mean, an initial look at how a 5 Class system would work with Classes 1 and 2 having hard numbers.

Interestingly enough, multiple subcommittees were formed. One subcommittee is actually called, "Big School/Small School". Another subcommittee was formed to research the point I mentioned above.

Also, discussion was held on schools being allowed to play up or down. I call this, "What was once old has become new again.". The idea of researching this concept passed overwhelmingly in committee and a subcommittee was formed to look even further into this.

Anyways, I thought these were some interesting highlights on the football side of the house of things that were discussed from that meeting.

Link to the meeting notes: https://www.vhsl.org/membership-meetings/

What will happen with the elimination of the scrimmage it will allow schools to get together and have a "thud" practice which will take the place of say your first scrimmage. Allows you to practice against another school but not call it a "scrimmage"

Reactions: Gen54 and Rev_Real
I however prefer a five classification system (if we used the current attendance fiqures)
Class 5
1-63
Class 4 64-126
Class 3 127-189
Class 2 190-252
Class 1 253-317

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT