ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting year for Lafayette

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Back in Div 4, seems they are under the radar after being in Div 3 for several years. But with 3 div 1 signees on board they will make some unsuspected noise, especially with the coaches they have. Tougher than Div 3 but should still be a very successful year. The starting QB/lb this year Pine is headed to Pitt, big W/r to Army and another closing in on UVA.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Honestly you won't know anything about Lafayette until the playoffs. They will go undefeated in the Bay Rivers again and they play Huguenot to open the season..Huguenot!! They will get either the #1 or #2 seed beat a lowly 7 or 8 seed and probably might be tested in round 2. If they win that then you can really see how good they are as they will play someone from conference 19-20 pod. So basically Lafayette won't get tested until game 12-13.

That's exactly how I see it two. But I don't see Huguenot sneaking in this year. They will have to find someone new to destroy on the opening round this year.

Honestly you won't know anything about Lafayette until the playoffs. They will go undefeated in the Bay Rivers again and they play Huguenot to open the season..Huguenot!! They will get either the #1 or #2 seed beat a lowly 7 or 8 seed and probably might be tested in round 2. If they win that then you can really see how good they are as they will play someone from conference 19-20 pod. So basically Lafayette won't get tested until game 12-13.
You do have to give Lafayette a little more credit. Winning is winning. If you keep on doing that, it's a good program, regardless of the competition.

But your point is taken. The Rams will play no one even close to the class of LT during the regular season. Their entire year and into the playoffs will be lower tier teams. Bottom half. Some bottom barrel. Who you play is the only real indicator of what level you're at. 10 - 0 has to be earned but that result can also be a delusion.

You do have to give Lafayette a little more credit. Winning is winning. If you keep on doing that, it's a good program, regardless of the competition.

But your point is taken. The Rams will play no one even close to the class of LT during the regular season. Their entire year and into the playoffs will be lower tier teams. Bottom half. Some bottom barrel. Who you play is the only real indicator of what level you're at. 10 - 0 has to be earned but that result can also be a delusion.

I said they will go undefeated. They will not play anyone with a pulse until game 12 that is facts!! Great program over there at Lafayette they dominate the Bay Rivers and get high playoff seeds. I would have personally liked to see them pick up a team from the PD in OOD scheduling because they have played Brunswick the last 4 years and the cycle before that Courtland. Lafayette smoked 1-9 Huguenot 52-6 in the first round a season ago. Why would you schedule them knowing you have Jamestown who was 0-10 a season ago already on the schedule? I honestly think they were beaten by Magna Vista in the finals because that was the first time they played a team with talent and coaching comparable to theirs all season.

In consideration and with respect, the Rams lost to the eventual State Champs Magna Vista only 25 - 19. A loss is a loss but they were still a good team. I respect the Rams. I've seen them many times. They are a power football team and they play with a lot of discipline. Finally, the Rams gave us Lawrence Taylor. IMO, the greatest player in football history. For that alone, they'll get all due respect from me always.
That's exactly how I see it two. But I don't see Huguenot sneaking in this year. They will have to find someone new to destroy on the opening round this year.
Hugenot won one game last year. They still made the playoffs. Why do you think they won't make it this year?

Last edited:
In consideration and with respect, the Rams lost to the eventual State Champs Magna Vista only 25 - 19. A loss is a loss but they were still a good team. I respect the Rams. I've seen them many times. They are a power football team and they play with a lot of discipline. Finally, the Rams gave us Lawrence Taylor. IMO, the greatest player in football history. For that alone, they'll get all due respect from me always.

Hugenot won one game last year. They still made the playoffs. Why do you think they won't make it this year?
Lawrence Taylor isn't walking through those doors... Yes Magna Vista was the state champion, but they did get beat by 17 by GW Danville the only team that was decent on their regular season schedule. A lot of smoke and mirrors going on around the state. Huguenot moved up to 4A. One win won't cut it

I said they will go undefeated. They will not play anyone with a pulse until game 12 that is facts!! Great program over there at Lafayette they dominate the Bay Rivers and get high playoff seeds. I would have personally liked to see them pick up a team from the PD in OOD scheduling because they have played Brunswick the last 4 years and the cycle before that Courtland. Lafayette smoked 1-9 Huguenot 52-6 in the first round a season ago. Why would you schedule them knowing you have Jamestown who was 0-10 a season ago already on the schedule? I honestly think they were beaten by Magna Vista in the finals because that was the first time they played a team with talent and coaching comparable to theirs all season.
Actually, I think you more than anyone knows how hard it is to build a schedule of competitive opponents. Your continuous whining on the board confirms that. "No one wants to play us! Boo hoo! We're just too good and nobody wants to be embarrassed."

We'll see if Lafayette goes undefeated. They still have to play the games and they still have to win them. That's already an accomplishment and if my program could fulfill that ambition, It would be successful.

I agree with Devils, but for a slightly different reason. But still because of one, or no wins.

Look at their schedule and you tell me who they are going to beat? George Wythe? And then who? Senior laden TJ? I don't think so!

Secondly, look at conferences 19 and 20 and pick out the eight teams that YOU think will have the highest points total? I figure out of 12 teams, they will have the 11th highest points total. Sorry, I have nothing at all against Huguenot. In fact I still root for them because from the long ago time when they were a rival to my former high school. (That may sound strange, but they were part of of my early years and I think of them as part of my past).

But facts are facts. Times have changed. They ain't going to make the playoffs.

Actually, I think you more than anyone knows how hard it is to build a schedule of competitive opponents. Your continuous whining on the board confirms that. "No one wants to play us! Boo hoo! We're just too good and nobody wants to be embarrassed."

We'll see if Lafayette goes undefeated. They still have to play the games and they still have to win them. That's already an accomplishment and if my program could fulfill that ambition, It would be successful.

Man this has nothing to do with Lake Taylor. I just know from living down here and hearing from Peninsula folks that Lafayette used to be in the PD. The story is Lafayette was not that competitive in the PD and bolted for the Bay Rivers. The people in the PD have been trying for years to play Lafayette to no avail according to them, so back to my statement...It would have been nice for Lafayette to play someone from the PD instead of playing Huguenot. The Bay Rivers is not even spoke about in Tidewater as a relevant district everyone down here believes its Lafayette and a bunch of other teams. Same perception that Lake Taylor has faced for many years with people saying LT plays no one in the Eastern District but worse. I personally don't see anyone in the Bay Rivers hanging with them but if I had to pick 3 teams I would go York, Smithfield, and Poquoson.

Now as far as our schedule goes maybe you should have convinced your boys to come take us on. I know what happened when I tried to schedule teams, but it is what it is just know that when you are trying to call yourself a real program schedule like one. Don't take the easy way out and play gimme games. Just as a fan of football I want to see the best play the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I'm not sure how we got here? Did I even mention LT? I did mention how tough it must have been for those boys to create a competitive schedule. All due respect. I don't think at all that their schedule is weak. It's a good one.

Now, if my team declined an overture from LT, it may be because they already have a deal with Ponax and Riverbend. That will remain in place for a very long time. Ponax is a top 10 5A that even LT would have real problems defeating. They will likely go undefeated again this regular season and they play no weenie schedule. The Panthers will likely again solidly beat the Cougars and put them out of the top 10 immediately. It's expected. The Benders are still 6A, very well Coached and have a number of DI committed players. No pushovers. No weenie schedule. Plus, they're virtually around the block. So Courtland ended up adding Liberty Bealton as their new OOD. My goodness. Another top 10 4A and only 30 minutes away. Then there's JM. OMG, another top 10.

I'm not going to question that you have to give up Caroline and Spotsy. Everyone's schedule has your should wins. They are required to play these under District rules. But why would any sane AD pick LT over very good local programs and deal with the expense of the travel involved. I understand and appreciate competitiveness. It's the way I would want to go. But when you're just plain dumb, you lose your job. The AD at Courtland is not even close to dumb.

Last edited:

That' how we got here. You brought it up not me. Ponax while a good team you can't sell me on them. I remember a strong Ponax school getting smoked by my Blue Devils for a state title in 2003. I remember another strong Ponax team losing to Hampton. Seems like every big Ponax game they lose. I also remember Reimers running for a ton of yards on the Ponax defense a year ago. You do recall we just finished a 2 year cycle with LC Bird...I don't think Ponax was on their level.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Sorry dude. But you do constantly whine about teams that won't play you. That's just a fact. Oh, aren't you in charge of scheduling there? Ponax and the Benders have been on Courtland's schedule for more than a decade. They have other options but continue to renew every two years. How strange. Why did Byrd not renew? As an AD, I would want an explanation of why that happened. Was that chair comfortable?

Tough to compare Ponax to Byrd. I don't believe they've ever met and the examples you provide to support your position are really dated. But your point about Ponax not coming up in th big games can't be disputed. Lot's of heartbreaking losses. No finishes. This will just be an opinion thing but Ponax can play with Byrd and win half the time. They are very, very good. They are definitely in Byrd class and one hell of a tough out? You are entitled to your opinion.

I do give LT kudo's for splitting their series with Byrd. Not only that, but providing the eventual State Champ with their only loss of the season. Sure as hell says a lot about how good LT was that year.

Man this has nothing to do with Lake Taylor. I just know from living down here and hearing from Peninsula folks that Lafayette used to be in the PD. The story is Lafayette was not that competitive in the PD and bolted for the Bay Rivers. The people in the PD have been trying for years to play Lafayette to no avail according to them, so back to my statement...It would have been nice for Lafayette to play someone from the PD instead of playing Huguenot. The Bay Rivers is not even spoke about in Tidewater as a relevant district everyone down here believes its Lafayette and a bunch of other teams. Same perception that Lake Taylor has faced for many years with people saying LT plays no one in the Eastern District but worse. I personally don't see anyone in the Bay Rivers hanging with them but if I had to pick 3 teams I would go York, Smithfield, and Poquoson.

Now as far as our schedule goes maybe you should have convinced your boys to come take us on. I know what happened when I tried to schedule teams, but it is what it is just know that when you are trying to call yourself a real program schedule like one. Don't take the easy way out and play gimme games. Just as a fan of football I want to see the best play the best.

Entirely different scenario these days. Entirely different set of dynamics. Coaching staff isn't even remotely the same. The Rams have built a PROGRAM, when they were in the PD, the fielded a team, I would hardly classify them as a PROGRAM back then. And "BOLTED" for the Bays River? You can't possibly believe they "BOLTED", enrollment numbers ruled the day, they were placed in the BRD. These damn PD folks kill me, they think everyone in the BRD is afraid to play them. NO ONE in the upper tiers of the BRD is afraid of anyone in the PD. Those days are long gone. Now don't go twisting my words, I'm not saying that Lafayette or Tabb or Smithfield or Grafton or York or Poquoson would beat Hampton, Bethel, Kecoughtan or Phoebus, but be competitive? Absolutely.

No comparison to 20+ years ago and it's ridiculous that the almighty PD fans keep hanging onto that dirty, stinking jock of "history".

Sorry dude. But you do constantly whine about teams that won't play you. That's just a fact. Oh, aren't you in charge of scheduling there? Ponax and the Benders have been on Courtland's schedule for more than a decade. They have other options but continue to renew every two years. How strange. Why did Byrd not renew? As an AD, I would want an explanation of why that happened. Was that chair comfortable?

Tough to compare Ponax to Byrd. I don't believe they've ever met and the examples you provide to support your position are really dated. But your point about Ponax not coming up in th big games can't be disputed. Lot's of heartbreaking losses. No finishes. This will just be an opinion thing but Ponax can play with Byrd and win half the time. They are very, very good. They are definitely in Byrd class and one hell of a tough out? You are entitled to your opinion.

I do give LT kudo's for splitting their series with Byrd. Not only that, but providing the eventual State Champ with their only loss of the season. Sure as hell says a lot about how good LT was that year.

Bird did not renew because the higher ups wanted Bird to play Meadowbrook another Chesterfield Co. school. Bird vs. Dale will NEVER be changed as the Battle of Chester is a huge deal so we got dropped. Man there's nothing to whine about, but I will state facts if stating facts is whining then oh well. I do go out and find teams for us to play because I do it every year for my girls basketball event so I have some relationships with a lot of AD's and coaches. It is tough to compare Ponax to Bird...Bird has been to the state playoffs a lot of times, but they have closed the show the last 3 years. As always a lot of people are regionally biased. They only see the teams in their area and sometimes the area isn't that great, so they smoke all the competition that is around them and they think their dominant team is awesome. These are the teams that will get beat by a team from a more competitive area. I'm sorry but Ponax can go 10-0 and if a Stone Bridge, Broad Run, Briar Woods, or Tuscarora team came to play them in the playoffs with 2-3 losses I would still like their chances to beat Ponax. Just my honest opinion.

Reactions: mike salem
Entirely different scenario these days. Entirely different set of dynamics. Coaching staff isn't even remotely the same. The Rams have built a PROGRAM, when they were in the PD, the fielded a team, I would hardly classify them as a PROGRAM back then. And "BOLTED" for the Bays River? You can't possibly believe they "BOLTED", enrollment numbers ruled the day, they were placed in the BRD. These damn PD folks kill me, they think everyone in the BRD is afraid to play them. NO ONE in the upper tiers of the BRD is afraid of anyone in the PD. Those days are long gone. Now don't go twisting my words, I'm not saying that Lafayette or Tabb or Smithfield or Grafton or York or Poquoson would beat Hampton, Bethel, Kecoughtan or Phoebus, but be competitive? Absolutely.

No comparison to 20+ years ago and it's ridiculous that the almighty PD fans keep hanging onto that dirty, stinking jock of "history".

Well thanks from clearing that up because that is all I have ever heard is the BRD is scared of the PD. Honestly though why don't they set something up to play each other? I know in the old ER we had a regional schedule that locked the PD in against the Eastern District, but that was thrown out a couple of cycles ago. Do something like the ACC vs. Big 10 in basketball and go Bay Rivers vs. PD with a couple of teams. Until the top teams from the BRD play the PD I can see the PD folks still saying the BRD is scared. And I know all about the PD people still holding on to history some Phoebus fans are turning into the old Hampton fans they used to trash for holding on to the Ronald Curry era..Some Phoebus people are holding on to the Bill Dee era. They had a dominant run that probably will never be equaled but the kids playing now are the kids that have come up in the Coach Blount Phoebus. It will be interesting to see how this season goes.

I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that any of the PD schools have any desire to play the BRD schools. Maybe Gloucester, but I don't see Hampton, Woodside, or Bethel wanting to play their only non district game against any BRD team. Keep in mind that both of those districts have 10 teams which means that they only get 1 non district game. So that seriously limits creativity in terms of a non district schedule.

Reactions: gwb16
Well thanks from clearing that up because that is all I have ever heard is the BRD is scared of the PD. Honestly though why don't they set something up to play each other? I know in the old ER we had a regional schedule that locked the PD in against the Eastern District, but that was thrown out a couple of cycles ago. Do something like the ACC vs. Big 10 in basketball and go Bay Rivers vs. PD with a couple of teams. Until the top teams from the BRD play the PD I can see the PD folks still saying the BRD is scared. And I know all about the PD people still holding on to history some Phoebus fans are turning into the old Hampton fans they used to trash for holding on to the Ronald Curry era..Some Phoebus people are holding on to the Bill Dee era. They had a dominant run that probably will never be equaled but the kids playing now are the kids that have come up in the Coach Blount Phoebus. It will be interesting to see how this season goes.

I truly wish that they would. I think it would make for a great regional matchup and draw a huge gate. I remember going to the Tabb and Hampton games, it was HUGE...electric atmosphere. The BRD has been "land locked" for a very long time. They have a 10 team district schedule...OLD DISTRICT now, prior to Warhill coming into the fold the teams had a rivalry games and the PD was locked in the ED home and away deal. And let's face it, no one in the PD wanted to risk losing against a AA team from the BRD especially with the way the old power points were awarded. The PD teams stood to lose out big. Remember when we had 9-1 teams staying home come playoff time? I can't fault them there. The goal is a State Championship, you can't accomplish that without making the playoffs.

I saw Phoebus twice last year and Lafayette 4 times. The Phantom Phanatics will have a stroke, but Lafayette walks away from Phoebus, hands down.
The Rams caught an unfortunate "break" last year, not making any excuses for them, because the teams they played were dealing with injuries also, but losing the QB was enormous. I remember a few years back when LT was on QB #3....you guys were still taking care of business. Some teams don't have that luxury.

Scared nope....the kids and the fans aren't, not one iota....we can thank the AD's and the scheduling guru's for the lack of PD vs BRD games.

HOPEFULLY, with the new conference set up, some AD's will venture of the tried and true comfort zone of the old district scheduling and line up with some teams that they don't traditionally see. I'd love to see Smithfield play Kings Fork, they're 15 minutes apart, kids have played Pop Warner against each other for years....that would make a GREAT GATE!

We'll see what the future holds...no ones scared though, no one.

I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that any of the PD schools have any desire to play the BRD schools. Maybe Gloucester, but I don't see Hampton, Woodside, or Bethel wanting to play their only non district game against any BRD team. Keep in mind that both of those districts have 10 teams which means that they only get 1 non district game. So that seriously limits creativity in terms of a non district schedule.

I would rather see Phoebus play Lafayette then Phoebus playing Wilson and Lafayette playing Huguenot. Of course Phoebus has everything to lose.

I would rather see Phoebus play Lafayette then them playing Wilson. What a joke that is

Smithfield played Wilson in a benefit game about 8-9 years ago or so...it was 50-0 by halftime. At the time, I don't think I had ever seen a team in such disarray. You know they have some good athletes over there, they just need that WOW coaching staff to help them break through.

Smithfield played Wilson in a benefit game about 8-9 years ago or so...it was 50-0 by halftime. At the time, I don't think I had ever seen a team in such disarray. You know they have some good athletes over there, they just need that WOW coaching staff to help them break through.

Sounds about right. Wilson had the track on a great area coach ready to leave a school he's already established at, but the Principal got in the way.

Reactions: gwb16
The reason they lost in the finals was they lost their 3 year starter and all district QB in the game before the finals. With him MV loses, period.

The reason they lost in the finals was they lost their 3 year starter and all district QB in the game before the finals. With him MV loses, period.

That right there is not an accurate statement. It's built on assumptions maybe with him MV beats Lafayette worse..Who knows the injury happened and it's part of the game next man up. Now I know all about injuries and overcoming them, but that's a statement that can't ever be proven. I did see is Hairston outrun the Lafayette defense on a couple of occasions for TD's. That had nothing to do with QB play. QB threw the ball well for MV and Lafayette defense didn't have the answers.

That right there is not an accurate statement. It's built on assumptions maybe with him MV beats Lafayette worse..Who knows the injury happened and it's part of the game next man up. Now I know all about injuries and overcoming them, but that's a statement that can't ever be proven. I did see is Hairston outrun the Lafayette defense on a couple of occasions for TD's. That had nothing to do with QB play. QB threw the ball well for MV and Lafayette defense didn't have the answers.
It's fairly simple that when you lose by 6 points and a 3 year QB goes out that is all district with only 1 week to get an unproven back up ready that the difference is easy to see. Nothing to do with that " man up" stuff . Injuries are part of the game but loss had more to do with that key injury than most other factors in a close score.

Bird did not renew because the higher ups wanted Bird to play Meadowbrook another Chesterfield Co. school. Bird vs. Dale will NEVER be changed as the Battle of Chester is a huge deal so we got dropped. Man there's nothing to whine about, but I will state facts if stating facts is whining then oh well. I do go out and find teams for us to play because I do it every year for my girls basketball event so I have some relationships with a lot of AD's and coaches. It is tough to compare Ponax to Bird...Bird has been to the state playoffs a lot of times, but they have closed the show the last 3 years. As always a lot of people are regionally biased. They only see the teams in their area and sometimes the area isn't that great, so they smoke all the competition that is around them and they think their dominant team is awesome. These are the teams that will get beat by a team from a more competitive area. I'm sorry but Ponax can go 10-0 and if a Stone Bridge, Broad Run, Briar Woods, or Tuscarora team came to play them in the playoffs with 2-3 losses I would still like their chances to beat Ponax. Just my honest opinion.
Actually, I agree with most of this opinion. Broad Run, Briar Woods, Tuscarora are all very good teams. But in this case, I have seen them all play. Not on video. They're pretty equal but I would also agree, Ponax would probably not be my pick to win. But it would also be no surprise if they did. That no huddle, triple option offense combined with the speed, power and talent is very tough to beat. Also have to agree that Bird has closed it out on multiple occasions. Just can't argue this fact. I have no bias whatsoever. I do know what's on the field. I've seen State Champioship level teams go down. They were really, really good. For me and my experiences, it's more often not about how good you are but about how good the other guy is. There sometimes comes just exceptional squads. Briar Woods ran off some nice years in 4A but they were a 5A classification. They had 90 to 100 guys on the sidelines and plenty of D1 talent. They opposed teams with 35 kids. Broad Run did the same with Connor Jessup at the helm. Dinwiddie had their season with incredible talent. LT should be much the same this year. Just way better than the others. Obviously, coaching, discipline and program plays it's part but in the end, you have to have the goods. Then you have to deliver, like Bird has. But you never get to the end without the goods.

Reactions: gwb16 and one man
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT