ADVERTISEMENT

is there a West team that is going to be flat out loaded next year?

What will salem be like next year? In my opinion the west will run through salem, liberty or sherando the next few years and perhaps a loudon school. Who is really left in the west? I am not sure about gw danville because of who they play and they are so far out there in location.

I looked at the JF roster. Looks like they are a pretty young team. I think I counted 11 seniors. I have no idea how many of these were impact players, but I would think JF should be discussed in any talks about next year.

A lot of the younger players did get a lot of playing time this year in the second half of games----salem starters rarely played more than one series in the second half the first 10 games so that will help them next year. The J.V. Team went undefeated and so did the junior high team. Obviously some of the younger players will have to step up. Probably the biggest replacement will be at Quarterback. The offensive line will have to replace three starters but Salem usually does a good job of reloading in this area. The two backs that started the last two games will be back---Ramsey and Clayborne---both are good but Clayborne is a little small----many are wondering if Ramsey will get a look at tailback occasionally. I think the biggest emphasis will have to be on defense---Salem lost two very good players in Peregoy and Fedison---they have to replace them and both Safeties Fox and Parker-----Defensive line play must improve and corners must raise their game to a much higher level. There a lot of questions but for the first half of the season as the younger players are finding themselves they will be able to rely on the best backfield in sw va.---hopefully that will carry them early and some of the young talent steps up. Salem should be good next year but how good will depend on the younger talent and how quick they come along.

No he's a Sr and they have about 20 others they'll lose. I would expect some drop off but the running game should be stout with Ramsey and Clayborne. They'll have a new QB and receivers. Defense has to replace a lot as well.

Has Couling got any offers?

I think they will miss Fox a lot because of his defense. Ramsey, and especially Clayborne, looked to me like they will run the ball as well, or better than Fox.

I thought that all year. Plus there is a stable of good back- up
running backs behind them. Maybe we can get Glenvar to send
us some lineman. (Lol)

I expect the Warriors to be good , and maybe very good , but I don't think they will have the depth and talent to challenge the East in a championship game. They should be a factor in the North .

This is the area of most concern in the program. The offense this year was of state championship quality but not the defense. The defense was good, very good, but not great---it had obvious weaknesses. To win a state championship these days Salem will need a great defense----They need to stop giving up big plays in the passing game and be even better at stopping the run. Obviously it would be nice if we had more talent to accomplish this but Salem will be he best it can be with the talent we have----but I do think a renewed emphasis should be on the defense. However, we all need to remind ourselves (especially me) that we are limited by the talent available------if you are going to compete at the highest level you need the horses---coaching can only take you so far.

Yeah I agree with that. Salem had a great team and a great season. Nothing wrong with being number 2 in the state! I think Salem and Sherando would be the favorites out of the west next year at least right now...but we have a long way to go for other teams to improve and make some noise. Merry Christmas to all.

Liberty graduated almost everyone, and will be very young.
Woodgrove , could be a team to watch, there program getting better every year.
Eastern View can't play defense , and graduate Kube and a ton of seniors.
Handley graduates QB , and two biggest weapons in Washington and Mauck
Loudoun County , look for them to be better than last year.

I looked over the 4a list, and I saw very little evidence that indicates any of the teams other than the few discussed above will be much of a factor.. Powhatan looses a ton off of a suspect playoff team, the three headed monster is dead, Lousia heads east, Pulaski, C'ville, Amherst, have a lot of improving to do to be a factor in the third round or later.

So, it looks like the obvious is, well, obvious!

This post was edited on 12/20 4:45 AM by DinwiddieProud

Even if EV was to compete they and Courtland are in the East next year....

Yeah, I forgot about EV and Courtland are going East.

The west doesn't look particularly strong next year. In the end it looks like maybe six teams you could pick that will make up the final four.

Hey Hammy, other than Sherando, are any of the teams up yor way going to be getting in the mix next year? Someone mentioned the Loudoun teams, but I know absolutely nothing about them. In fact, other than you telling us about your Warriors, there is never anyone talking about teams up your way.

The only Loudoun Teams that I know of worth mentioning would be Woodgrove and Loudoun County. The better teams have all went 5A. The strongest 4A teams north of Harrisonburg in my opinion would be Sherando , Woodgrove and Loudoun County, I hink Liberty will have a major drop off , think they are graduating like 20 seniors. Eastern View will have some of the same problems. I agree with the Salem vs Sherando match-up being possible again in the North next year. Just dont think either might have the team to take it to the East.

so how about the East next year?

As far as east goes, I guess you don't have to look too hard to come up with the top 1/2 dozen or so.. Lake Taylor for sure, Dinwiddie has tremendous potential, Monacan was not a fluke, or one and done, Hanover is the real deal, Kings Fork is also a reload team, Heritage is always good, and like all of the Tidewater teams, battle tested because of the schedules, Norcom and Phoebus will be 3a. Louisa, Lafayette, and Powhatan will certainly make the playoffs, but? Tabb may be the biggest riser in this group. Courtland probably will make the playoffs, but will probably be a lower seed and struggle to advance. Grafton gets hurt pretty bad by graduation, Smithfield has been making strides and has a lot of kids coming out for football. They may be a surprise and go a couple of rounds or so deep in the playoffs.

One of the biggest unknowns, and therefore one of the difficulties in projecting playoff success is how teams fall into the brackets. No big deal in the first round, but then it gets tough. Dinwiddie having to face LT in the third round was just too much to overcome. I don't know if we could have beaten any other tem, but LT was hell of an obstacle.

I don't think it's as likely to ever happen in 4a, but Waynesboro sure silenced a lot ot the critics. Having a pretty good idea of who the top two or three teams will be in the west and the east, it's hard to believe that any team in the 16, 15, or 14 slot is going to go into these top teams home fields and steal a victory. I believe there is a big devide on both sides of the state between these perennial top teams, and everyone else.

Like my buddy Bleeding Navy said, can we just go ahead and start the season now? You guys need to feed us a steady diet of Hudl links to help us make it through to next season.

Depending on the QB situation I'm going with GW Danville with no bias. All the running backs return, 5 really good defensive lineman return and they're reloading at the reciever position and in the secondary. I really think they can go farther than last year's team but that only depends on the QB. It's going to be HARD to replace Hunter Byrnes but from what I heard the JV QB was very very fast and there will be not much drop off but only time will tell. I also think Lousia Co will be in the hunt, maybe a surprise like JF was this year. Not saying they're a final 4 team, but they'll be tough.

Danville, it sounds like GW might be a force. The one thing that you say that tempers the optimism is a young QB. If you feature a ground game, he may be ok, and he will have time to develope. You didn't mention returning offensive linemen, so I wonder how much protection he will have when passing. Until a QB gets comfortable, they all tend to have happy feet, and force the ball on pass plays. If I'm calling the defense, I overload the line and send one or two after the QB on every play, at least until they get their running game going. The best way to hurt a team is find their weak link and exploit it. I.E., the young QB.

Using that thought process, I look at your defensive backfield and see inexperience, I'm going after them. Some teams are so talented that they simply line up on both sides of the line and say here we are, come get us. Lake Taylor this year, Dinwiddie last year. When you are not loaded you look for advantages, and you design a game plan on what you think you can do. Monacan almost pulled it off against LT. Jefferson Forrest approached the game this way. I believe that theses two teams beat schools that were more talented, and/or more athletic. GW will need to do this next year to get deep in in the playoffs.

Louisa, not so much. Gone after the second round of the playoffs.

Yeah GW is the one team that I honestly know NOTHING about. I know they have had some really good years and have had some talent go through there. I think Louisa will hold their own in their district and maybe even be favored to win the district, but I do not think their district is really going to be very good. Them scheduling Sherando early was a good move. The get huge points if they can knock them off, and if they do not then this game will let them know what they need to do to have a chance in the east. The jefferson district really hurts the Lions in my opinion it is just not nearly as good as it was 10 or so years ago. Monticello, Powhatan and Louisa will battle it out for the top spot. The rest to be honest are just not very good at all. Lions big question going into the east is going to be if they can be more than just a run team. Being a one dimensional team will only take you so far in the east and their defense really got exposed late in the year vs. Albemarle and Monticello, but again they are going to be in the running for the JD regular season. I do not see them finishing any lower than 7-3, but we will see. I am just thankful we drop to d3 hopefully the flucos can get a few wins next season and at least make the playoffs, been some long long season down here in Palmyra.

The 3 headed monster is not dead but I wish this stupid name was. The Cougars will lose FB Jenkins who got them the hard yards in short situations. You always think an individual cannot be replaced and Jenkins will be tough because he also was an outstanding linebacker. But Courtland does it every year and I've been watching them a long time. They're a program as is Salem, James Monroe, Sherando, Liberty, etc. Plus, they return Qb Allen and two 1000 yard rushers, Cheathum and VT recruit Greene.

The one thing I've learned here over the years is the top 10 teams tend to remain pretty consistently in the top 10. Salem, Sherando, Courtland and Liberty will very likely be there next year in 4A North and make playoff noise. There will be lot's of hype for anyone that reaches the final. The only question in 2015 is will the West be able to match the talent of of the East? It will happen eventually.

I've seen some comparisons with College teams. Well, the Colleges get to choose their players. HS's don't. Folks can talk about their feeder programs all they want. As LT showed this year and Dinwiddie last year, it's speed and athleticism that has the final say in a State Championship. Both of these traits are born, not made. Stay in the weight room all you want. Train as hard as possible. You will never be as fast or athletic as that kid next door that was born with the gift. That doesn't necessarily insure victory but it does insure a monster head start.

Don't forget Courtland will be in the East not the West next year....

Thanks for the reminder. They do still play the same schedule. The playoffs, however , will be quite different. It will be fun seeing how they do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT