ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Turner Hired

Hopefully Carroll will turn it around. Very unfortunate they left the River Ridge.
Carroll should have never been in the RRD. It was a poor decision by the VHSL. They were just trying to fit them in the district because they didn't fit anywhere else size wise. Franklin Co would have been a much better fit. Maybe now that Rockbridge and Alleghany have left the BRD, Franklin Co would fit there?

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Carroll should have never been in the RRD. It was a poor decision by the VHSL. They were just trying to fit them in the district because they didn't fit anywhere else size wise. Franklin Co would have been a much better fit. Maybe now that Rockbridge and Alleghany have left the BRD, Franklin Co would fit there?
Mike I agree though I think the RRD was way better suited than the 3 River’s. Carroll wasn’t competitive in football but at least they were playing teams that were closer in distance and in school size. Serves them absolutely no purpose in softball and girls and boys basketball, 3 sports that they are actually competitive in whereas now they play against teams 2 classifications down and 3 hours bus drives (one way) against. Maybe put them in George Wythe’s district? Will still be playing smaller schools but at least will be closer than going to Low Moor and Buchanan. I think Carroll’s best bet would be joining the Piedmont. I have been against Franklin County, GW and Halifax joining that district from the jump. Halifax and GW , without a doubt, should be in the Seminole District whereas Franklin County would do well in the RRD. That would probably put the RRD as the best district as far as community support in the state. Carroll would then be 35 miles from Patrick County, an hour from Bassett, Martinsville, and MV, and 90 miles from Tunstall. Not bad considering their travel times now to some of the schools in the 3 Rivers.

But Franklin County can’t be too choicy. The RRD did vote against Franklin County joining in 2013.. Looks to me that they would’ve been a much better fit than Carroll. Franklin County would be an asset to both the BRD and RRD if they were to move, however I’d prefer being in the RRD. If we’re looking at the top 3 dogs (all sports) from each district...Salem, Blacksburg, PH vs. Fleming, Byrd, and Botty...I’m going with the RR all day.

But Franklin County can’t be too choicy. The RRD did vote against Franklin County joining in 2013.. Looks to me that they would’ve been a much better fit than Carroll. Franklin County would be an asset to both the BRD and RRD if they were to move, however I’d prefer being in the RRD. If we’re looking at the top 3 dogs (all sports) from each district...Salem, Blacksburg, PH vs. Fleming, Byrd, and Botty...I’m going with the RR all day.
My thought on Franklin Co to the BRD was to even out the districts a little. The RRD has 7 schools and the BRD only 5 right now. Also, the BRD schools are closer than the RRD schools from the NRV. The districts could use a little shuffling imo. I like adding GW and Halifax to the Seminole, but they already have 8 schools. I like the idea of 6-8 schools per district, where possible, to leave room for 3-5 OOD games in football. I know there are a lot of considerations besides football, but the VHSL kind of forced some schools into districts that didn't make much sense a few years ago. They should really get more opinions from schools in this area on what makes best sense for them.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
My thought on Franklin Co to the BRD was to even out the districts a little. The RRD has 7 schools and the BRD only 5 right now. Also, the BRD schools are closer than the RRD schools from the NRV. The districts could use a little shuffling imo. I like adding GW and Halifax to the Seminole, but they already have 8 schools. I like the idea of 6-8 schools per district, where possible, to leave room for 3-5 OOD games in football. I know there are a lot of considerations besides football, but the VHSL kind of forced some schools into districts that didn't make much sense a few years ago. They should really get more opinions from schools in this area on what makes best sense for them.
In deed. If GW and Halifax were to go to the Seminole, Rustburg and maybe even LCA goes to the Dogwood, only if LCA drops down to 3a. I heard that Halifax will more than likely be 4a next cycle so that seems to fit.

I think Carroll’s best bet would be joining the Piedmont. I have been against Franklin County, GW and Halifax joining that district from the jump. Halifax and GW , without a doubt, should be in the Seminole District whereas Franklin County would do well in the RRD. That would probably put the RRD as the best district as far as community support in the state. Carroll would then be 35 miles from Patrick County, an hour from Bassett, Martinsville, and MV, and 90 miles from Tunstall. Not bad considering their travel times now to some of the schools in the 3 Rivers.

While I agree the Piedmont makes the most sense if all things were equal, all things simply aren't equal when dealing with travel in Carroll County. The county is 480 square miles and features 2,500 feet in elevation change. Many students have to travel Fancy Gap Mountain on a daily basis just to get to school. Parents would never stand for those same kids having to navigate two different mountain ranges to get to athletic competitions.

A trip or two per season is one thing, every district contest is altogether another thing!

While I agree the Piedmont makes the most sense if all things were equal, all things simply aren't equal when dealing with travel in Carroll County. The county is 480 square miles and features 2,500 feet in elevation change. Many students have to travel Fancy Gap Mountain on a daily basis just to get to school. Parents would never stand for those same kids having to navigate two different mountain ranges to get to athletic competitions.

A trip or two per season is one thing, every district contest is altogether another thing!
Thanks for the explanation Sixcat. Makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the explanation Sixcat. Makes a lot of sense.

Your welcome. The folks in the Southwest District didn't like travelling to Carroll and vice versa but that's really the best fit for Carroll from a competitive balance, geographical and enrollment perspective.

Having a quarter of the county below 1,000 feet in elevation, half around 2,800 feet and another quarter leading to Fishers Peak sitting at 3,570 feet with a large river dissecting the county to boot, it's tough navigation. Parts of the county can't be accessed from within the county. It can only be accessed from neighboring counties such as Floyd, Wythe and Grayson. So, travelling Lovers Leap on an often treacherous stretch of two-lane highway isn't as easy a fix as it may seem on Google Maps.

Carroll consolidated three high schools into one in 1969, before enrollment figures mattered like they do today. I suspect they would make a different decision if they could have it to do over.

ADVERTISEMENT