ADVERTISEMENT

JAMES MONROE @ COURTLAND BREAK DOWN AND WINNER!

skynard1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 12, 2009
Here we going trying to predict Friday nights winner of JM @ Courtland! no matter who wins both teams are playoff bound but as you know its important for playoff seedings and home games when the playoffs start. there is a chance that the foxes could sneak in the district championship with a win over Chancellor and the final game of the year against JM. first things first lets talk about and break down of these two good teams. I have seen JM once in person all the games on TV and Courtland 3 times in person so here we go!
HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE this usually always goes to the home team and in this case I feel its in the cougars advantage! JM has never really played all that well in the cougars den in the past but the same held true at Chancellor stadium but they broke that jinx when they beat a good Chancellor team in their back yard a couple weeks ago so don't put a lot of stock in JM not playing well at Courtland this year!
OFFENSIVE LINE both these teams are lead by a large veteran O line. Serbay claims this may be the best line he has ever had and that says a lot with some of those good ones he has coached! I agree they are that good! they are lead by huge D1 future prospect Brandon Martin 6ft 5 345 lb junior and still growing. that line averages close to 300 pounds. Courtland's is not quite as big but still good and lead by another D1 prospect Ben Beatty 6ft 3 245 and Cody Sullivan 6ft 3 315 pounds. the cougar line is smaller but quicker than the jackets but that's because you need smaller guards that are used in pulling in the cougar wing T. these two lines are so close in talent I have to rate them a draw.
QUARTERBACKS this is a hard one as the two QB'S AJ Felton JM and Chet Wilborn Courtland have different rolls as QB on their teams. Wilborn is not called on to pass like Felton is as Courtland is a running team and JM is more balanced of a run pass team. don't count Wilborn short if he has to pass he can also pass well. Felton has really gotten better as he was back up to his brother Matt when the season started but now Matt is used as a receiver. AJ is a much better runner than Wilborn. I will give the nod to JM.
RUNNING BACKS Courtland has three excellent backs in George Cheetham,speedy Blair Lawson and Vic Green the three headed monster. JM ain't bad theirself with Felton, Gary Boxley, Jewan Davis and De Jon Weldon. most of these backs are good receivers too. but being Courtland a running team you have to give the edge to the cougars but just a hair!
RECEIVERS Courtland don't like to throw that often but when they do they have adequate receivers lead by a great one Jabari Allen! also Nick Grant and Vic Green are more than adequate receivers in this wing T offense that throws mostly if they have too. the jacket receivers are lead by Darius Leacock and tall and lanky Dre Jon Boley Antwan Lewis Gray and Matt Felton giving them the nod to JM.
DEFENSE the jackets have played pretty well this year and seems to be better than last years. they seem to bend but not break but looks like they are having a little trouble stopping the run as they gave up 222 yards rushing to Spotsy. they are not overly big this year but may be more weaker to the inside runs than the outside as their backers are quick. JM's D backs like always are athletic. Courtland's defense has been steady all year even holding powerful Ponax to 15 points. they are a little bigger than JM's lead by Ben Beatty Jason Hokenson and George Cheetham and excellent Db's lead by Allen. Courtland like JM plays a lot of players both ways the sign of the time these days. all considered the edge goes to Courtland!
OFFENSE both teams have excellent offenses. a lot of people judge this by points scored. in this case it would not be fair to JM as Serbay plays most all his players in blow outs and JC Hall don't do much of that. the cougars are more one dimensional than the jackets as with Feldon passing much better the second half of the year making JM a well balanced offense. the jackets are more high flying risk taking offense making them more likely to turn the ball over as Courtland mostly running the ball but remember Hall can be a river boat gambler and if need be he may pull a rabbit out of his hat and pass 15 times. edge Courtland
SPECIAL TEAMS both teams have excellent special teams but IMO JM has a better kicker in Nolan Marine who might be the deciding factor in this game. both have dangerous punt returners in Leacock for JM and Allen Courtland. special teams and field position may determine who wins. only because of the EP and FG kicking and punting I give the edge to JM as the other returners are dead even.
WHO WINS been thinking about this match up since the season started! these are two excellent teams and thank GOD both should make the playoffs and represent the battlefield district well! I had thought that the jackets was going to ambush Courtland before the cougars lost last week! now i'm not so sure as Courtland is going to be focused this week and come out snorting fire! I watched the JM Spotsy game twice on TV this week and because Spotsy runs the T like Courtland and JM had trouble stopping them and Spotsy's offense is not a third as good as Courtland's, I feel even though coaches Serbay and D coordinator Kenton Griffin will spend a lot of time trying to stop the three headed monster they will not be successful! but Courtland must protect the ball with time of possession and not make mistakes with long sustained drives and finish with td's. if they give the ball to JM three times they will get beat! JM will have to stop the run and run a punt or KO back to beat the cougars and of course will have to make only a few mistakes to win. they will have to protect the JM QB to have any chance because I don't think the jackets will be able to run enough to win. they will have to run just enough to keep the cougar defense honest off AJ Feltons back from passing! as the jackets have to do this the cougars will have to be successful running to win. if they can do that they wear the jackets down! I don't believe they are a good enough passing team one dimensional passing to beat the jackets! now add all this up and throw it out the window because that loss to KG will propel the cougars and they will beat JM 28 to 17. hope to see you there as of now its going to be the CVTV game of the week! be there fans as its going to be a classic and best of luck to both teams!

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT