ADVERTISEMENT

James River Hosted Varsity and JV Girls Tournaments This Week

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
I won't be able to provide complete details but James River High School in Buchanan hosted a three day event Wednesday-Friday in which 8 Varsity and 8 JV girls basketball teams gathered with each team playing three games until all eight positions were sorted out. It must have been quite the organizational challenge for their athletic department, so kudos for them being willing to undertake such an event. Not only that, but from the limited coverage I watched on NFHS, it looked as if the streaming was very clear and easy to watch.

My Lady Gladiators participated, which was of course my interest in the event, so I can report a detail or two about their results but maybe other posters can fill in other details. For the Riverheads varsity, sadly they lost all three games but each one was competitive. The most frustrating of those losses might have been the second one, where they lost 38-33 in overtime against Auburn. My reference to the "frustration" is somewhat tongue-in-cheek because it seems as if Riverheads cannot beat that blasted school in ANYTHING. Play us in football once, will you?????????

The news was better for the JV Gladiators as they won their first two games and advanced to the JV finals. Sadly they lost that to Staunton River, so we know that they (SR) were the champions in the JV portion of the tournament. This was just the second loss of the season for the Gladiator JVs, so that means the future looks bright for the program. (Oh, and I just now reviewed the scores and realized that one of their tournament wins was in fact a 39-15 thumping of Auburn, so that ice has been broken after all! Good job girls!)

As for the varsity Gladiators, they have only won two games thus far, but they have only played one district contest and that was a narrow loss to Stuarts Draft, so it remains to be seen how they will fare once district action resumes in the new year.

Thanks again to JRHS for conducting this event and giving so many girls a chance to fine-tune their skills.

Reactions: OnceAKnight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT