ADVERTISEMENT

James Wood and Handley

Oct 9, 2015
Just curious when is the last time James Wood was actually a threat in the playoffs? Also when if ever did Handley have a winless season or a team this bad? Not bashing either school but I can never remember handley being this bad or the last time Wood was relevant in the big picture

Since it opened, Handley has never had a winless season. In nearly 100 years, the Judges have never gone a full football season without getting a win. This year could be the first, and judging from what I saw when they played Sherando this is by far the worst Handley team I've seen. They looked like a middle of the pack JV squad.

James Wood made the playoffs from 2007-2011, and won a game in 2009 against Loudoun County by the score of 27-25. They lost in the playoffs to Sherando in 2007, 2009, and in 2014.

I'd say the best James Wood team out of those playoff years was the 2007 team that nearly upset eventual state runner-up Sherando in the first round. Their most recent playoff game was against Sherando in 2014 where they lost 48-0.

They play at home against Skyline this upcoming Friday, and then at Millbrook the following week. They end the season at home against James Wood.

Out of those games, I think their best chance at a win is against Skyline or James Wood, depending on whether or not Bishop can return healthy. Skyline got the win over James Wood the other day, so I think the Judges will need to need to really put together a special game to beat either team.

Not going to lie, I'm a Sherando fan. But as such, my favorite seasons are the ones where multiple Northwestern teams are competitive. Here's hoping Handley can use the experience from this year to put together a good team over the next couple.

I agree I like to see as many local teams be competitive that can be. It makes for more enjoyable football

judging from what I saw when they played Sherando this is by far the worst Handley team I've seen. They looked like a middle of the pack JV squad.

I agree that they looked awful against Sherando (the only Handley game I've seen this year); however, I was amazed that they didn't give up or start doing stupid things out of frustration. It has to be tough for those kids who all grew up watching the area schools beat up on each other and now they are getting thrashed week in and week out. But they are a really young team, and they are going to be pissed off when by the time they are seniors and I think they are going to take it out on some teams in a couple of years. I don't know who #11 is on the team, but they handed the ball off to him so many times and he was nailed in the backfield on almost every play. He just kept hustling back to the huddle. He is one tough player and that effort is going to pay off one day. I just hope they aren't playing Sherando when they put it all together.

...and I don't think they go winless this year. I hope Skyline has put last week's stunning last-play victory away and did the work this week!

ADVERTISEMENT