ADVERTISEMENT

Jarvis Vaungh

Vaughan needs to get into the gym. He will do that and it will make him more dangerous. Also, he has a nice little mid range, smooth 10 foot jumper. Going to be a good one, but has to bulk up some.

Reactions: AntGZee
I needs to work on his temperament. His attitude needs to be adjusted.

I only saw tonight but I caught flashes of that issue. The jawing during the game, the bumps a few plays, and he seemed to check out when Lee got down. Not with a minute left down 15 but down 12 with three mins left, it seemed like he was frustrated and just kinda gave up.

Also didn't shake hands after the game, I can understand it after a big loss I really do, I can be super competitive as well, but you gotta swallow your pride and man up afterwards.

Ant.... look me in the eye and tell me you know Vaughns not going to get asked to prep by odu. And I saw your martinville team play this year. You talkin like they could do some damage. They would have finished 4th in the mountain 7. Maybe 3rd. With all that history of good players at martinville one would think you would know a basketball player when you saw one. Took me 3 minutes watching your bull pups awkward layups and awful shooting to figure out they couldn't score 30 points against Graham. Not that you care but your opinion seem pretty weak to me . If your hating on Mac he must be better than I think.. Later.

A few things.... Mac took it to Vaughn all night long and lived rent free in that kids dome for a solid 32 minutes. Finishing at the rim in his chest and over top of him and elevating to block his shots and his dunk attempt. Vaughn checked out mentally after Mac blocked his dunk....he couldnt keep his cool and his coach even jerked him out at one point over it. Too much jawing and chippyness and not enough playing. However, the kid still had a very good game. But the 2nd half he couldn't control his emotions and not having him mentally at 100% really hurt his team.

Now aside from that im gonna make my most important points, Lee had a great team and all of the players and their fans should be proud of the way they played and making it to the title game. It sounded like the Lee fans i talked to tonight didnt even expect their boys to make it to the title game. Aside from Vaughn not shaking anyones hands after the game and barking all night long at the refs and shoving Zac in the back, the rest of the Leemen seemed to show great class and thats something i like to see with high school kids. Win or lose....play with class.

Also i must say, thats one of the most electric atmospheres ive been a part of for a high school game. That game was a constant highlight reel on both ends and im happy that i got to be a part of it...whether or not it was on the winning or losing end of things. The gym was absolutely packed and rocking.

Everyone travel safe tomorrow as your headed home or headed into Richmond to watch the other games. Hope to see some of you guys back again next year. Congrats to the Leemen on an excellent season and a big congrats to my Blue Devils and Coach Vermillion on a much deserved State Title. They earned it this year!

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy
i only saw this one game, sorry but i did not see a kid 6'8" he was more like 6'5" height always gets added to players for some reason, there is a big difference in those 3 inchs

It’s funny to see you SWVA fans talk about Vaughn bumping...When McClung did it all night and talked mad trash. I agree that Vaungh has to work on his attitude but so does Mac or he will have a huge target on his back...Ask Grayson Allen. Jarvis will definitely be a huge factor at the next level..More so than Mac. For one he doesn’t have the huge expectations to take on and two he’s not going to have that target on his back like McClung. McClung rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Comes across very cocky..Not to me but even to his coaches (yes I have the inside scoop). Not a good look. My man’s gotta tone it down. He has the tools... Frank Mason? Nope. Bubba Chuck? H*ll no..But the kid can play.

It’s funny to see you SWVA fans talk about Vaughn bumping...When McClung did it all night and talked mad trash. I agree that Vaungh has to work on his attitude but so does Mac or he will have a huge target on his back...Ask Grayson Allen. Jarvis will definitely be a huge factor at the next level..More so than Mac. For one he doesn’t have the huge expectations to take on and two he’s not going to have that target on his back like McClung. McClung rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Comes across very cocky..Not to me but even to his coaches (yes I have the inside scoop). Not a good look. My man’s gotta tone it down. He has the tools... Frank Mason? Nope. Bubba Chuck? H*ll no..But the kid can play.
I’m willing to wager a fair sum that when their respective careers are over in 4/5 years, Mac will have the better career. Georgetown needs a competent PG right now. Mac will get minutes next year. Will he be a star? No. But no one is asking him to be. But when he’s a senior? Not hard to imagine him averaging 16-20ppg, which is a great career in the Big East.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
I’m willing to wager a fair sum that when their respective careers are over in 4/5 years, Mac will have the better career. Georgetown needs a competent PG right now. Mac will get minutes next year. Will he be a star? No. But no one is asking him to be. But when he’s a senior? Not hard to imagine him averaging 16-20ppg, which is a great career in the Big East.
Wager me. You know this kid plays teams (on a nightly basis) that couldn’t beat the worst of the worst of the 540, 434, 804, or 757... Congrats on the record but let’s be real. They also keep the kid in the whole entire game............ Up 50 or 60 or 70 or 80...Mac is in there.

Reactions: AntGZee
I have a little insight on this one. Vaughan is prepping next year as requested by ODU. Also he is absolutely a true 6'8", no question about it! I've stood next to him several times, mostly after they beat us. My two cents...

Reactions: GMAlum and AntGZee
Wager me. You know this kid plays teams (on a nightly basis) that couldn’t beat the worst of the worst of the 540, 434, 804, or 757... Congrats on the record but let’s be real. They also keep the kid in the whole entire game............ Up 50 or 60 or 70 or 80...Mac is in there.

Forget all the other VHSL teams he played in the regular season... did you see what he did the last 3 games against the 3 best teams in 2A?

Y’all can have it. I’m an educator myself so I hope the best for the kid. Nothing negative from me just my opinion. You fans are setting him up for failure. I would be interested to see Frank Mason, Bubba Chuck...Heck Travis Fields or Demonte Buckingham...Play the teams that McClung has played and see their numbers and highlights. That’s all I’m saying. Devonte Holland from Martinsville DOMINATED 2a.. Won 2 straight championships...No knock on Holland at ALL...He straight up dominated 2a for all 4 years...But now he’s just one of many at the next level. Stop setting the boy up for failure.

Reactions: OCBoy and AntGZee
Non-district regular season games GC played and the numbers he put up against them...

Daniel Boone (TN) - 35
Knoxville Christian (TN) - 29
North Mecklenburg (NC) - 26
Tennessee High - 40
Fern Creek (KY) - 44
Lakota East (OH) - 28
Floyd County - 33
Cleveland (TN) - 39
Pulaski County - 47
Daniel Boone (TN) - 45

Devonte Holland from Martinsville DOMINATED 2a.. Won 2 straight championships...No knock on Holland at ALL...He straight up dominated 2a for all 4 years...But now he’s just one of many at the next level. Stop setting the boy up for failure.

McClung comes from a family who have already been through the college athletic side.... His father played football at Virginia Tech, his sister Anna is a soccer player at Tennessee (also played at Florida State), has cousins who were pro ice hockey players, and has an uncle Seth who played baseball in the majors for Tampa and Milwaukee.

I'm fairly certain he has been informed on the tough transition to the next level and his path to succeed or fail won't fall in the hands of a group of fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: GC1 and Ryan4VT

You've said this shit all year dude. People are quick to throw it back at you bc it seems you've made any excuse to up someone else and downplay McClung. What did Vaughn show last night? A good mid range jumper and some decent post moves against a team with no inside presence at all, and even then those undersized GC kids were able to push him off the block and deny him the ball. What did McClung show? Getting to the rim at will and finishing over a kid you keep saying is gonna be a stud at ODU. How many times did Vaughn send MMs shit back to SWVA? Once? Hell, McClung blocked Vaughn twice. How many times did MM drive right at Vaughn and finish or get the foul?

And I've said in the past that MM has an air of cockiness about him. He simply does (although that supposed inside scoop sounds off to me, everyone involved with the GC program gushes about him), although I've never seen him bump and push after plays. That's not his style, and I've watched him play for three years. But one thing you could never in a million years say about McClung? His coach had to bring him out bc he couldn't control his emotions or brought him out bc he seemed to quit in a game. That kinda stuff doesn't wear off when college coaches see it. You can fix a jumper or bad technique, can you fix it when a kid seems to check out mentally when he isn't dominating?

And you keep talking down about 2A ball, hell thats all Vaughn played against as well, and McClung put on a show in the Arby's against some great teams. What's the difference? Vaughn is better, why?
I've seen kids play in 1A and go on to start at ETSU for multiple years, competition only matters if you can't play. McClung has played AAU ball for years as well, and as much as I believe the AAU system is corrupt as hell, the best players play there.

It seems like you bring something else to the table when you talk about McClung.

No realistic Gc fan expects Mac to go up to Gtown and light it up like he did this year. He gave us a fantastic 4 years and capped it off with a championship. No matter what he does in college, it won't take away from what he has done in high school. He will go down as one of the great one's to play.

This team is the best 2a team in the state this year. The nonsense to compare them to any bigger school is absurd. Problem with today's world is nobody can stand to be positive about anything. Mac broke scoring records and won a state championship and what do I read, he won't make it in college, or he don't play nobody, or he's cocky, or this or that. It's hilarious how instead of giving people their props they deserve, people want to find something negative. Vaughan was dominant inside and I hope he does great at ODU. I don't think he played dirty or anything, he was playing for a championship. Mac isn't cocky he's confident, there's a difference. IMO, you need to play ball that way sometimes, nothing wrong with that.

sorry but i dont see it in vaughn, he's a good player but stud we will have to wait and see, and i still doubt the 6'8" size, and yes he got pushed out of the low post last night on several attempts, and that was GC not players on the D1 level, he lacks a lot of fundamentals so lets see how he does

You've said this shit all year dude. People are quick to throw it back at you bc it seems you've made any excuse to up someone else and downplay McClung. What did Vaughn show last night? A good mid range jumper and some decent post moves against a team with no inside presence at all, and even then those undersized GC kids were able to push him off the block and deny him the ball. What did McClung show? Getting to the rim at will and finishing over a kid you keep saying is gonna be a stud at ODU. How many times did Vaughn send MMs shit back to SWVA? Once? Hell, McClung blocked Vaughn twice. How many times did MM drive right at Vaughn and finish or get the foul?

And I've said in the past that MM has an air of cockiness about him. He simply does (although that supposed inside scoop sounds off to me, everyone involved with the GC program gushes about him), although I've never seen him bump and push after plays. That's not his style, and I've watched him play for three years. But one thing you could never in a million years say about McClung? His coach had to bring him out bc he couldn't control his emotions or brought him out bc he seemed to quit in a game. That kinda stuff doesn't wear off when college coaches see it. You can fix a jumper or bad technique, can you fix it when a kid seems to check out mentally when he isn't dominating?

And you keep talking down about 2A ball, hell thats all Vaughn played against as well, and McClung put on a show in the Arby's against some great teams. What's the difference? Vaughn is better, why?
I've seen kids play in 1A and go on to start at ETSU for multiple years, competition only matters if you can't play. McClung has played AAU ball for years as well, and as much as I believe the AAU system is corrupt as hell, the best players play there.

It seems like you bring something else to the table when you talk about McClung.
What’s with the language? You SWVA cats gotta lot of testosterone in you. Chill out bruh, it ain’t that deep. I could careless..Just gave my opinion and gave him props. What more do y’all want lol? Y’all got it.

McClung comes from a family who have already been through the college athletic side.... His father played football at Virginia Tech, his sister Anna is a soccer player at Tennessee (also played at Florida State), has cousins who were pro ice hockey players, and has an uncle Seth who played baseball in the majors for Tampa and Milwaukee.

I'm fairly certain he has been informed on the tough transition to the next level and his path to succeed or fail won't fall in the hands of a group of fans.
Key words.. “His” father, sister, and uncle...None of that has any correlation with playing 4 and 5 star players trying to go to the NBA on a nightly basis.

It’s been fun watching the narratives change on here since last year about Gate City and Mac. All of this season he’s been getting slighted by people who refuse to acknowledge that he’s a real player.

Take all the “bad teams” GC played and take all the records out of the equation... can Mac play? YouTube has his games against the teams in the Arby’s and his games against some of the best AAU competition in the country at the Adidas Vegas tournament. It looked like to me that he can hold his own against top competition.

Is Mac going to score 38 ppg at Georgetown? Absolutely not. Could he be a serviceable player for the Hoyas? I think so. His viral following is going to put a big target on him and make him have to work harder at next level but I’m sure he’s used to working against the odds.

But why are we even talking about what he’s going to do next year? We’re just going to ignore what he did last night? He dominated against the best competition in 2A. 47 points against a long athletic team that couldn’t keep him out of the lane even when they would double him. He did what he wanted, when he wanted to - all season, against bad competition & against the best competition that was offered. And we still had to read about how the best player in 2A was Vaughan or 5’6” point guard from Radford. Oh yeah, or even Pettway from Martinsville. You guys would take him anyway over McClung, and twice Sundays, remember? I guess he has to be that good since he was also the “best wide receiver in 2A”. I mean Graham did have a 1st team all state receiver who signed with WVU, but hey he’s no Pettway.

We also had to read how Lee, Dan River, Radford, and Martinsville were “favorites”. Even though Martinsville had trouble averaging 35 points per game against good competition I gusss they had to be a “favorite” since they have 15 championships and they had Pettway and they had the JV freshman they called up who was “better” than Graham’s Darrin Martin. My bad.

Gate City had a heck of a season capping it with the state championship and Mac individually dominated a season like Virginia has never seen before. Quit trying to knock what he may do next year or what he would’ve done against better competition and appreciate the greatness we got to see and the national recognition he brought to 2A Virginia basketball. More than 460,000 people saw the 2A state championship game last night.. how crazy is that??

It’s been fun watching the narratives change on here since last year about Gate City and Mac. All of this season he’s been getting slighted by people who refuse to acknowledge that he’s a real player.

Take all the “bad teams” GC played and take all the records out of the equation... can Mac play? YouTube has his games against the teams in the Arby’s and his games against some of the best AAU competition in the country at the Adidas Vegas tournament. It looked like to me that he can hold his own against top competition.

Is Mac going to score 38 ppg at Georgetown? Absolutely not. Could he be a serviceable player for the Hoyas? I think so. His viral following is going to put a big target on him and make him have to work harder at next level but I’m sure he’s used to working against the odds.

But why are we even talking about what he’s going to do next year? We’re just going to ignore what he did last night? He dominated against the best competition in 2A. 47 points against a long athletic team that couldn’t keep him out of the lane even when they would double him. He did what he wanted, when he wanted to - all season, against bad competition & against the best competition that was offered. And we still had to read about how the best player in 2A was Vaughan or 5’6” point guard from Radford. Oh yeah, or even Pettway from Martinsville. You guys would take him anyway over McClung, and twice Sundays, remember? I guess he has to be that good since he was also the “best wide receiver in 2A”. I mean Graham did have a 1st team all state receiver who signed with WVU, but hey he’s no Pettway.

We also had to read how Lee, Dan River, Radford, and Martinsville were “favorites”. Even though Martinsville had trouble averaging 35 points per game against good competition I gusss they had to be a “favorite” since they have 15 championships and they had Pettway and they had the JV freshman they called up who was “better” than Graham’s Darrin Martin. My bad.

Gate City had a heck of a season capping it with the state championship and Mac individually dominated a season like Virginia has never seen before. Quit trying to knock what he may do next year or what he would’ve done against better competition and appreciate the greatness we got to see and the national recognition he brought to 2A Virginia basketball. More than 460,000 people saw the 2A state championship game last night.. how crazy is that??
Want some cheese with all that whine?

You couldn't be more wrong!!! I think Mac is one Heck of a ball player. I have no reason to hate on a high school kid. Maybe the Dawgs weren't as good as past years. Heck we can't win every year. I will always bark about my Dawgs. I tell you what, holla at me when your team wins a 3rd Chip!!!!!! Til then, we all know that Brunswick, Martinsville and Lee run 2A.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Want some cheese with all that whine?

I know that you’re pretty knowledgeable about hs sports which really sucks that you had to buddy up and take the wrong side on this one. I understand your boy being a Martinsville homer and rooting against GC because of the threat they were, but you? Why?

Reactions: GC1
Those of us in SWVA have a chip on our shoulder. Nobody disputes that. But every time we produce a quality program or athlete, the rest of the state gets so butthurt, it’s comical. Naturally, as a result, SWVA takes pride in handing the rest of the state their ass!

One thing SWVA has over the rest of Virginia, we generally and genuinely root for the whole of SWVA. When one of us gets knocked out of the playoffs, we root for our neighbors rather than infight and attempt to tear one another down.

Get over it Virginia. We told you this kid was special. You wouldn’t listen so he showed you. Something tells me he will continue to do so for a few more years.

Key words.. “His” father, sister, and uncle...None of that has any correlation with playing 4 and 5 star players trying to go to the NBA on a nightly basis.

Who said it did? You seem to think a group of fans are somehow setting the kid up for failure as you said. Again, I'm fairly certain he knows what's in store for him at the next level, he has the people around him to understand and that is the point. Most people, including us "SWVA cats", understand the difference in competition as you step up.

I know that you’re pretty knowledgeable about hs sports which really sucks that you had to buddy up and take the wrong side on this one. I understand your boy being a Martinsville homer and rooting against GC because of the threat they were, but you? Why?
I don’t understand what I said to offend people? Kid broke the record and I congratulated him. This was my first time seeing him play and I gave my honest opinion after seeing him and I compared him other talent I’ve seen.

I wasn't pulling against Gate City. I could care less who won. If anyone read any of my post in the past; I stated, I wouldn't mind some new blood winning for once....My thing is y'all act like y'all won the lottery when GC won last nite. Relax!!! I can take a little criticism, I don't mind. I think y'all are just getting in your feelings a bit much. Congrats to Gate City.

I’ve seen a lot of talent before. JJ Redick, KD, Steph Curry, Melo,CP3, list goes on and on play on the high school level. I know talent when I see it. Mac has talent. Ant has seen a lot of ballers too. Nobody is teaming up. Just another prospective.

Ant.... look me in the eye and tell me you know Vaughns not going to get asked to prep by odu. And I saw your martinville team play this year. You talkin like they could do some damage. They would have finished 4th in the mountain 7. Maybe 3rd. With all that history of good players at martinville one would think you would know a basketball player when you saw one. Took me 3 minutes watching your bull pups awkward layups and awful shooting to figure out they couldn't score 30 points against Graham. Not that you care but your opinion seem pretty weak to me . If your hating on Mac he must be better than I think.. Later.
Now this is funny. Martinsville played in the same district with GW (was a contender in 4a with a JV team from a year ago; lost by 2 points in the Region semi’s), Franklin County who made the 6a State playoffs, and guess what?? Martinsville was #1 in the district. Man y’all lose all credibility! @AntGZee this dude can’t be real!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT