ADVERTISEMENT

Jefferson Forest Field

I understand the financial aspects of the turf field. The economics are there. For any school under fiscal constraints (and aren't they all), it makes sense. But other than not wearing a helmet, I don't think there is a bigger contributor to injury than artificial turf.

uyNa3Kw.gif

In all seriousness, didn't remember their stands being so small but I think the last time I was there was many moons ago. If there's a Salem/JF final thank god they've got a hillside to pack.

uyNa3Kw.gif

In all seriousness, didn't remember their stands being so small but I think the last time I was there was many moons ago. If there's a Salem/JF final thank god they've got a hillside to pack.
The last time I was there would have been a game against Rustburg in '88 or '89. I don't remember the stands being so small. With that beautiful new turf the next project as you said is to put in bleachers for about 5,000 now that they have Coach Christmas.

Reactions: OCBoy
uyNa3Kw.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if Salem JF did meet that they move the game. The vhsl has forced home teams to host other places many times in semi final games

I wouldn't be surprised if Salem JF did meet that they move the game. The vhsl has forced home teams to host other places many times in semi final games
I doubt they would, but there are 2 venues with plenty of seating they could move it to- Liberty or City Stadium.

Matter of fact even if JF wins next week I almost bet they will be forced to play at another field that can host more people

I doubt they would, but there are 2 venues with plenty of seating they could move it to- Liberty or City Stadium.
State semifinal games have to be able to host a certain amount of fans. Last year they forced Essex to host at King William and in 01 I know they forced Culpeper to host Patrick Henry at Fauquier. I know there are others but I know there is a requirement on how many people the field can host.

I understand the financial aspects of the turf field. The economics are there. For any school under fiscal constraints (and aren't they all), it makes sense. But other than not wearing a helmet, I don't think there is a bigger contributor to injury than artificial turf.

Can you show your work on that?

Reactions: jfcav1
If memory serves me right Rod, $800,000 to $1,200,000, for initial installation. $10,000 to $30,000, per year in perpetual maintenance to get the maximum life of 15 years.

As opposed to $100,000 every 10 years or so to sod the field, and $10,000 per year on the high side for maintenance.

The intangible is if the field usage demands year round, all weather use.

Sorry Shaunty, wasn't trying to step on your toes, but I had just enough time for this one post.

As far as higher injury rates, not in my realm of knowledge.

If memory serves me right Rod, $800,000 to $1,200,000, for initial installation. $10,000 to $30,000, per year in perpetual maintenance to get the maximum life of 15 years.

As opposed to $100,000 every 10 years or so to sod the field, and $10,000 per year on the high side for maintenance.

The intangible is if the field usage demands year round, all weather use.

Sorry Shaunty, wasn't trying to step on your toes, but I had just enough time for this one post.

As far as higher injury rates, not in my realm of knowledge.

Yeah, I was asking about the injury rate claim that he made

I knew what the request was Rod. I know you had the numbers on practicality and roi of turf. Most of my info is from personal experiences, a number of Orthopedists I've spoken with and my weekly visuals of untouched traumatic knee injuries. Even the players that just seem to "fall over their own feet". Not to mention the "rug burns" and the kids that come off the field smelling like they've been in a NASCAR race and not a Football game.

But, I know, "empirical data, please". Gotcha.

I knew what the request was Rod. I know you had the numbers on practicality and roi of turf. Most of my info is from personal experiences, a number of Orthopedists I've spoken with and my weekly visuals of untouched traumatic knee injuries. Even the players that just seem to "fall over their own feet". Not to mention the "rug burns" and the kids that come off the field smelling like they've been in a NASCAR race and not a Football game.

But, I know, "empirical data, please". Gotcha.

I don't know if you are right or wrong, it just hasn't been my experience to see that many injuries.

The rubber pellets are the devil though, I'll give you that without any data.

Interesting statement, how so?

If JF wanted to save money they should take the home bleachers put them on the away side and install new ones on the home side

If JF wanted to save money they should take the home bleachers put them on the away side and install new ones on the home side
Plans are to redo the away said and do it up BIG this offseason and make the current home side the away side

Safe to say JF doesn't meet those requirements in several areas so if they do make it they won't host there
In that case, it would probably be City Stadium in Lynchburg or Brookville. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being Liberty University, most of JF's coaches have ties to LU as do a lot of the families in Forest. I hope they do win just to see where the semi-final game would be played.

City Stadium in Lynchburg is a parking nightmare. Brookville's stadium is not a lot better than J/F's. Liberty U. would be the best for everyone involved. Guess we will just have to wait till the games are played and let the Heiarchy in Charlotesville make the call.

Reactions: mike salem
City Stadium in Lynchburg is a parking nightmare. Brookville's stadium is not a lot better than J/F's. Liberty U. would be the best for everyone involved. Guess we will just have to wait till the games are played and let the Heiarchy in Charlotesville make the call.
You are right, parking at City Stadium is a nightmare, especially with all the construction going on. While, Brookville isn't much nicer, it does meet the vhsl requirements for seating capacity as does City Stadium. IMO, any of these options benefit everyone except the JF players and coaches.

Safe to say JF doesn't meet those requirements in several areas so if they do make it they won't host there

What is the seating capacity at JF's field as it sits?

I don't know if you are right or wrong, it just hasn't been my experience to see that many injuries.

The rubber pellets are the devil though, I'll give you that without any data.

Yeah, way too many questions about the safety of the recycled rubber pellets, not yet answered. I did hear something the other day about a higher incidence of concussions on turf. I think it was a news piece about the need and effort to improve helmet safety. I don't recall any statistical difference being stated. I also remember the statement that research was under way to develope a safer underlayment base for turf as an additional effort to reduce head injuries.

You are right, parking at City Stadium is a nightmare, especially with all the construction going on. While, Brookville isn't much nicer, it does meet the vhsl requirements for seating capacity as does City Stadium. IMO, any of these options benefit everyone except the JF players and coaches.
Amherst seats 5,000, Brookville used our stadium one year, just can't remember why

Amherst seats 5,000, Brookville used our stadium one year, just can't remember why
I completely forgot about Amherst but I doubt the coaches from JF would want to play a "home" game at Amherst due to the distance. That would be an away game for them as well lol

What is the seating capacity at JF's field as it sits?

Yeah, way too many questions about the safety of the recycled rubber pellets, not yet answered. I did hear something the other day about a higher incidence of concussions on turf. I think it was a news piece about the need and effort to improve helmet safety. I don't recall any statistical difference being stated. I also remember the statement that research was under way to develope a safer underlayment base for turf as an additional effort to reduce head injuries.
I'm not sure DP but it's very small I wouldn't even think 1000

I completely forgot about Amherst but I doubt the coaches from JF would want to play a "home" game at Amherst due to the distance. That would be an away game for them as well lol
It is only 30 minutes beside we have the field turf

I'm not sure DP but it's very small I wouldn't even think 1000

I was wondering if you were close enough to the needed capacity to rent bleachers, but that doesn't appear possible. Plus, from the picture above, the slop doesn't look like it would permit temporary bleachers.

We had to rent some at least once, as I recall. But the home field side has been remodeled since then. I can't recall exactly what our capacity is, but it's well over 3500. And that will increase eventually with the replacement of the press booth. Of course, another state championship would help speed this up. But, alas, Hanover derailed that little endeavor.

It looks like a change of venue is inevitable. But where?

City Stadium and LU have turf as well, holds more people, and is a shorter drive from JF.
What is this thing about turf? I'd go grass anytime. Did you know that FIFA does not allow men's Football (soccer) games on turf fields? DOES NOT ALLOW! Just found this out today, by the way. The USA's Women's program has filed suit to do the same. There's a reason. Just sayin'.

I'm still working on this turf vs grass thing. Football goes back and forth but Soccer and Lacrosse National Orgs clearly hate it. More work to be done from Orthopedic standpoints. Gotta' get a concenses here but as of right now, I have nothing but opposing AMA studies. Plenty of players hatred documented though. More to come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT