ADVERTISEMENT

Jefferson Forest stadium improvements?

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
Any news on the improvements to the stadium? I haven't seen anything about it in either the N&A or RT. I thought there were plans in place to make improvements in the offseason. Are they doing it after school lets out for summer break? Does that leave enough time to get the improvements done before August practice starts up? I believe JF usually uses their stadium field as their practice field also.

I wonder if they use the stadium for their graduation ceremony, and that delays the start of improvements? Even so, I would have thought you would have heard something by now.

I wonder if they use the stadium for their graduation ceremony, and that delays the start of improvements? Even so, I would have thought you would have heard something by now.
J/F uses Liberty's Vine Center for graduation. The football used to use the area where the softball field is now for a practice field. There is an article in the News And Advance paper about Bedford County building a new gym at Liberty High and using the 50 year old locker rooms. This would eliminate Liberty from hosing any regional stuff in the new gym.

Reactions: Cat45
There must be a plan already if there's a donation goal.

There is a plan.

1. Get the money.
2. Build the stands.

Still stuck on #1.

Keep in mind, like in the case of the artificial turf, the original field house, the weight room, and the field house improvements and most other sports projects, Bedford County gives $0. 100% private donations.

There is a plan.

1. Get the money.
2. Build the stands.

Still stuck on #1.

Keep in mind, like in the case of the artificial turf, the original field house, the weight room, and the field house improvements and most other sports projects, Bedford County gives $0. 100% private donations.
My point was, how do you know how much money you need without a plan? Price quotes. Contractors. Stage one. Stage two. Stage three. Are the stands first? The weight room? Field House? Artificial Turf? Timelines.

I mean, if I walk into the Company President and say I need this much money but have no plan, he'll either boot me out or fire me.

I do understand this will be all private contributions and that's a shame it cannot be somehow supplemented with money from the School District like others do. I also understand schools struggle every year just to make ends meet and they cannot all be Loudoun County. GL.

My point was, how do you know how much money you need without a plan? Price quotes. Contractors. Stage one. Stage two. Stage three. Are the stands first? The weight room? Field House? Artificial Turf? Timelines.

I mean, if I walk into the Company President and say I need this much money but have no plan, he'll either boot me out or fire me.

I do understand this will be all private contributions and that's a shame it cannot be somehow supplemented with money from the School District like others do. I also understand schools struggle every year just to make ends meet and they cannot all be Loudoun County. GL.
They have the field turf it was installed before last season, but your point is still well made. Generally plans are in place to get an estimate of costs so they know the amount of funds they need to raise.

Reactions: Cat45
They have the field turf it was installed before last season, but your point is still well made. Generally plans are in place to get an estimate of costs so they know the amount of funds they need to raise.
Was Field Turf private donations also? That's a big nut to crack.

As long as Bob Christmas is the coach, there will always be major projects and improvements in the plans.

The first major project was the weight room. The money was raised within a couple months of Christmas's return. Now JF has one of the best (if not the best) HS weight rooms in the state. All students can use it and is used for Strength and conditioning classes during the school day.

The second major project was the field turf. That money was raised and field installed within 18 months of his return.

The field house, which was originally built with donations raised during Christmas's first JF coaching term, was essentially un-improved upon in 20 years. It was completely gutted and new locker rooms, bath and showers installed as well as a coaches office. That happened after the weight room and before the turf.

Ongoing improvements are being completed now in the field house, with a new training room, kitchen, coach's locker rooms, facilities and meeting rooms.

A large sponsor sign board was erected around the scoreboard to help in fund raising efforts.

Phase 2 of the field house renovations will be expansion of the field house with more meeting rooms, a lobby and offices.

The new stands, press box and concessions are the next major project and will be built on the current visitors side. Designs are done and just awaiting funding.

Again, all of the above was done with $0 from Bedford county, all private donations.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
As long as Bob Christmas is the coach, there will always be major projects and improvements in the plans.

The first major project was the weight room. The money was raised within a couple months of Christmas's return. Now JF has one of the best (if not the best) HS weight rooms in the state. All students can use it and is used for Strength and conditioning classes during the school day.

The second major project was the field turf. That money was raised and field installed within 18 months of his return.

The field house, which was originally built with donations raised during Christmas's first JF coaching term, was essentially un-improved upon in 20 years. It was completely gutted and new locker rooms, bath and showers installed as well as a coaches office. That happened after the weight room and before the turf.

Ongoing improvements are being completed now in the field house, with a new training room, kitchen, coach's locker rooms, facilities and meeting rooms.

A large sponsor sign board was erected around the scoreboard to help in fund raising efforts.

Phase 2 of the field house renovations will be expansion of the field house with more meeting rooms, a lobby and offices.

The new stands, press box and concessions are the next major project and will be built on the current visitors side. Designs are done and just awaiting funding.

Again, all of the above was done with $0 from Bedford county, all private donations.
I knew the first thing he'd do as a coach would be to focus on the strength and conditioning. He used to be the strength and conditioning coach at LU before he coached at LCA & the first JF stint. The facilities haven't been improved since he left for GA. Other parts of the facilities haven't been improved in the 40 years of the schools existence. He has really turned things around. This year will be a real test with the big losses to graduation. I expect he'll still have JF contending for the top of the SD.

Last edited:
I knew the first thing he'd do as a coach would be to focus on the strength and conditioning. He used to be the strength and conditioning coach at LU before he coached at LCA & the first JF stint. The facilities haven't been improved since he left for GA. Other parts of the facilities haven't been improved in the 40 years of the schools existence. He has really turned things around. This year will be a real test with the big losses to graduation. I expect he'll still have JF contending for the top of the SD.

Yea, he likes strong athletes....

13082692_1239525362739174_3448321434308603726_n.jpg

Don't forget one of their assistant coaches is a former NFL player. I am sure he made a decent donation

Reactions: mike salem
Yea, he likes strong athletes....

13082692_1239525362739174_3448321434308603726_n.jpg
Wow. Looks better than a number of DII's I've seen. By comparison, my poor boys at Courtland have one of these machines and the space is simply an improvised storage room off the gym. You also need to remove the wrestling mats to get in.

Last edited:

Reason they dont use school money is theres 2 other schools in bedford. So if they improved 1 school they'd have the other 2. An like you stated bedford county is flush with money like nova.

Plus personally I'd prefer the donation route because if they used school money that would mean higher taxes to pay for it. I'd prefer keep my taxes as low as possible i give money to help out.

Reason they dont use school money is theres 2 other schools in bedford. So if they improved 1 school they'd have the other 2. An like you stated bedford county is flush with money like nova.

Plus personally I'd prefer the donation route because if they used school money that would mean higher taxes to pay for it. I'd prefer keep my taxes as low as possible i give money to help out.
Well, private donations seems to be working. No School Board was going to approve the amount of money that weight room must have cost.

The smart way to fund stadium improvements or any other athletic facilities is to make them part of a bond issue and pay the debt service over the life of the facility. That is how athletic facilities are built with the initial construction of the school. I wish the athletic facilities at GW had been included with the GW renovation.

J/F uses Liberty's Vine Center for graduation. The football used to use the area where the softball field is now for a practice field. There is an article in the News And Advance paper about Bedford County building a new gym at Liberty High and using the 50 year old locker rooms. This would eliminate Liberty from hosing any regional stuff in the new gym.

As a Liberty alum, I for one know how much of a joke Bedford County politics are. While I was in middle and high school, Liberty HS and Staunton River HS were both renovated while JF had a few partial renovations while completely destroying and rebuilding other portions of the school. The explanation for these choices was that JF had an area of the school that apparently contained mold. Superintendent Blevins, whose children attended JF zone elem, middle and high school, decided it was best to just build new in certain areas.

Number of years ago, JF and SR got brand new competition gyms on their respective campus'. Liberty has been in the same Gym since 1964 with. During renovations they added on a weightroom, wrestling room an extended the locker rooms on the old Gym. Liberty is certainly overdue for the Gym upgrade.

With Bedford Middle being the absolute worst school in the County, (elem, middle or high), I was thrilled to hear that school is in the batters box so to speak. But this idea of a Gym with no coaches office, training room or locker rooms is a complete joke. I'm not surprised some higher ups thought it was a good idea to present that non sense. If your going to build a new gym at Liberty, it should be on par with what JF and SR have, period.

The wealth in the county is concentrated mainly in two areas, Boonsboro/Forest(right outside of Lynchburg) and Smith Mt. Lake. Those two areas serve JF and SR respectively. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how things work in Bedford County. JF gets what it wants in Bedford County, if they don't get it from the County, that community is well off and they come together and take care of it themselves. SR has some wealth in their neighborhoods but a lot are retired folks who moved in town from all over the country and aren't as in tune with schools/youth. As a result, SR and Liberty get shafted often. Socio-economics handcuff the areas from doing much on their own. I'm hoping the County does this the right way but I'm not holding my breath.

As a Liberty alum, I for one know how much of a joke Bedford County politics are. While I was in middle and high school, Liberty HS and Staunton River HS were both renovated while JF had a few partial renovations while completely destroying and rebuilding other portions of the school. The explanation for these choices was that JF had an area of the school that apparently contained mold. Superintendent Blevins, whose children attended JF zone elem, middle and high school, decided it was best to just build new in certain areas.

Number of years ago, JF and SR got brand new competition gyms on their respective campus'. Liberty has been in the same Gym since 1964 with. During renovations they added on a weightroom, wrestling room an extended the locker rooms on the old Gym. Liberty is certainly overdue for the Gym upgrade.

With Bedford Middle being the absolute worst school in the County, (elem, middle or high), I was thrilled to hear that school is in the batters box so to speak. But this idea of a Gym with no coaches office, training room or locker rooms is a complete joke. I'm not surprised some higher ups thought it was a good idea to present that non sense. If your going to build a new gym at Liberty, it should be on par with what JF and SR have, period.

The wealth in the county is concentrated mainly in two areas, Boonsboro/Forest(right outside of Lynchburg) and Smith Mt. Lake. Those two areas serve JF and SR respectively. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how things work in Bedford County. JF gets what it wants in Bedford County, if they don't get it from the County, that community is well off and they come together and take care of it themselves. SR has some wealth in their neighborhoods but a lot are retired folks who moved in town from all over the country and aren't as in tune with schools/youth. As a result, SR and Liberty get shafted often. Socio-economics handcuff the areas from doing much on their own. I'm hoping the County does this the right way but I'm not holding my breath.
Liberty was AAA in 1971 just for that year.

Liberty was AAA in 1971 just for that year.

Yes they were. Liberty opened in 1964 replacing the old Bedford High School that served only white students. Susie B. Gibson served black students from its opening in 1954 to closing in 1970. 1971 was the first year of de-segregation in Bedford County and the students who came to Liberty from Gibson pushed the numbers up enough for the school to be AAA. The years following, a number of those black students who lived in Goode(JF) and Body Camp(SR) were allowed to attend the high schools in their zone, thus putting Liberty back into the AA ranks.

So to me this makes it look like a bluff that it is even being done. My personal opinion is that it was only brought up in defense of JF hosting Salem last year. That in itself is probably the reason we started to hear about renovations and updates to the stadium. This could be a few years to 5 years out before this is even done.

Reactions: salemfan32
So to me this makes it look like a bluff that it is even being done. My personal opinion is that it was only brought up in defense of JF hosting Salem last year. That in itself is probably the reason we started to hear about renovations and updates to the stadium. This could be a few years to 5 years out before this is even done.
They did the turf, weight room, etc... so I think the stadium renovations are in the pipeline. Bedford Co has one of the lowest tax rates in the state so I understand why funds are not forthcoming from the county. All that being said they were under the microscope last year because they were the 1 seed hosting a team that traditionally travels well. The stadium was listed to have seating for 3,500 which the VHSL requires to host a Semi game. I understand their desire to host the game at their home field & they deserved it being the 1 seed, but the seating was atrocious and either JF or the VHSL should have been better prepared for accommodating the crowd.

I think the scrutiny brought about talk of imminent improvements this offseason to appease the disgruntled. I think they should have been more forthcoming and said we know the conditions are below an acceptable standard, we have plans to make improvements, and when the funds are raised we will make the necessary improvements. I think they were responding to the scrutiny defensively and made statements implying improvements this offseason. I think it will probably be in the 3-5 year range.

Communities have different priorities. Bedford Co residents like their PP & Real Estate taxes cheaper and they can't provide the services like a community that has higher taxes. Salem's tax rates are considerably higher and Salem is also a sports crazy place. They have better infrastructure in place because the residents have agreed to live in a community that pays more to have it. This doesn't make Salem better than Bedford or any other place, but each community has different priorities and Salem has chosen to invest in sports as a way to give the community what it wants & also as a way to attract tournaments & hosting championships in multiple sports at many different levels as a way to bring in tourists that help local businesses thrive. That doesn't make one better than the other, Salem has a lot of children and their motto is children first. Sports are a tool to keep the kids focused and out of trouble. The coaches, administration, parents, and community are all focused on the goal of investing in the children who, pardon the cliche, are our future.

Most football nights,what they have is more than enough. Bedford Co. is probably thinking why spend a lot of money to host a regional football game every 20 years.
I agree. This is probably the situation exactly. They have the turf field, one hell of a weight room, more than enough room for any given Friday and still meet the VHSL requirement for hosting playoff games. A few complaints at playoff time means little in the big picture. Improvements will be made but there's no need to rush.

Communities have different priorities. Bedford Co residents like their PP & Real Estate taxes cheaper and they can't provide the services like a community that has higher taxes. Salem's tax rates are considerably higher and Salem is also a sports crazy place. They have better infrastructure in place because the residents have agreed to live in a community that pays more to have it. This doesn't make Salem better than Bedford or any other place, but each community has different priorities and Salem has chosen to invest in sports as a way to give the community what it wants & also as a way to attract tournaments & hosting championships in multiple sports at many different levels as a way to bring in tourists that help local businesses thrive. That doesn't make one better than the other, Salem has a lot of children and their motto is children first. Sports are a tool to keep the kids focused and out of trouble. The coaches, administration, parents, and community are all focused on the goal of investing in the children who, pardon the cliche, are our future.

Love this last paragraph Mike. Salem is either hated or loved, not much in between. I love what that community stands for when it comes to youth and youth sports.

I think when comparing Salem City to Bedford Co, there are major differences.First Salem only has to worry about a small area. Bedford Co. is much larger with rural,farm and residence tax base. Salem only has one high school to maintain. Bedford has three. My daughters all graduated from J/F and I did not the like the way the school approached things then and I do not care for it now. They are simply not going to spend the money to upgrade. When you are considering building a big new gym and attach it to 60 year old locker rooms, I would say that football stadium upgrades are off until the next century.

Reactions: wikki
I think when comparing Salem City to Bedford Co, there are major differences.First Salem only has to worry about a small area. Bedford Co. is much larger with rural,farm and residence tax base. Salem only has one high school to maintain. Bedford has three. My daughters all graduated from J/F and I did not the like the way the school approached things then and I do not care for it now. They are simply not going to spend the money to upgrade. When you are considering building a big new gym and attach it to 60 year old locker rooms, I would say that football stadium upgrades are off until the next century.
Absolutely bowlingref, big differences and challenges face Bedford Co that Salem doesn't have to deal with. The tax rate is only part of the problem, the Liberty gym situation highlights the issue Bedford Co is facing & how difficult it may be to get the upgrades at JF. Thanks for your insight.

[I QUOTE="mike salem, post: 197391, member: 3846"]Absolutely bowlingref, big differences and challenges face Bedford Co that Salem doesn't have to deal with. The tax rate is only part of the problem, the Liberty gym situation highlights the issue Bedford Co is facing & how difficult it may be to get the upgrades at JF. Thanks for your insight.[/QUOTE]
I no longer live in Bedford Co. Moved back to Rustburg where I went to high school. Campbell County has a whole slew of problems. Where is all the lottery money that was supposed to go to the schools?

[I QUOTE="mike salem, post: 197391, member: 3846"]Absolutely bowlingref, big differences and challenges face Bedford Co that Salem doesn't have to deal with. The tax rate is only part of the problem, the Liberty gym situation highlights the issue Bedford Co is facing & how difficult it may be to get the upgrades at JF. Thanks for your insight.
I no longer live in Bedford Co. Moved back to Rustburg where I went to high school. Campbell County has a whole slew of problems. Where is all the lottery money that was supposed to go to the schools?[/QUOTE]
I guess it's going to NOVA to build all those schools we've barely heard of. Loudoun built like 12 high schools in a 20 year timeframe from '97-current

They did the turf, weight room, etc... so I think the stadium renovations are in the pipeline. Bedford Co has one of the lowest tax rates in the state so I understand why funds are not forthcoming from the county. All that being said they were under the microscope last year because they were the 1 seed hosting a team that traditionally travels well. The stadium was listed to have seating for 3,500 which the VHSL requires to host a Semi game. I understand their desire to host the game at their home field & they deserved it being the 1 seed, but the seating was atrocious and either JF or the VHSL should have been better prepared for accommodating the crowd.

I think the scrutiny brought about talk of imminent improvements this offseason to appease the disgruntled. I think they should have been more forthcoming and said we know the conditions are below an acceptable standard, we have plans to make improvements, and when the funds are raised we will make the necessary improvements. I think they were responding to the scrutiny defensively and made statements implying improvements this offseason. I think it will probably be in the 3-5 year range.

Good post, mike.

To the spirit of your original post, I would say it's all well and good that there's been talk of improvements to JF's stadium, but..... until those improvements actually come to pass, there's no way the VHSL should allow another state semi to be played there. In the event that JF finds themselves in that position again, a nearby neutral locale that actually meets the VHSL's criteria will have to be the answer.

Good post, mike.

To the spirit of your original post, I would say it's all well and good that there's been talk of improvements to JF's stadium, but..... until those improvements actually come to pass, there's no way the VHSL should allow another state semi to be played there. In the event that JF finds themselves in that position again, a nearby neutral locale that actually meets the VHSL's criteria will have to be the answer.
I agree I went last year and it was horrible from restrooms to the stands. I sit on the Salem side and it was miserable. Left game early because I had to use the restrooms. Lines long and porta potties full. Uggh

Good post, mike.

they've installed a turf field at JF and added a damn fine weight room. None of that was cheap. Frankly, these were very expensive items. Eventually, stadium improvements will come. They've been getting tons of money from somewhere.

But as long as they don't play Salem in the semi's and at home again, this shouldn't be an issue again. The facilities are sufficient for any normal situation and they are better than most. I would have no problem with the game played there again. Only the primadonnas whined about it anyway.

they've installed a turf field at JF and added a damn fine weight room. None of that was cheap. Frankly, these were very expensive items. Eventually, stadium improvements will come. They've been getting tons of money from somewhere.

But as long as they don't play Salem in the semi's and at home again, this shouldn't be an issue again. The facilities are sufficient for any normal situation and they are better than most. I would have no problem with the game played there again. Only the primadonnas whined about it anyway.
?

Wikki, I didn't know you were a prima donna? And I didn't think that you stating that the long lines and full porta-potties was whining? But what do I know? Shanty has already declared me disingenuous, (and probably a female:confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O.)

By the way Shaunty, I know the facilities were acceptable to you, because your ass was not there!

Wikki, I didn't know you were a prima donna? And I didn't think that you stating that the long lines and full porta-potties was whining? But what do I know? Shanty has already declared me disingenuous, (and probably a female:confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O.)

By the way Shaunty, I know the facilities were acceptable to you, because your ass was not there!
I guess I am. The facility was horrible and everyone was complaining. I have been to many fields for playoffs and that was the worst yet

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT