ADVERTISEMENT

JF lack of Defense finally bites them

7hillshsnut

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 16, 2007
Those who know the game remotely, saw this coming,but not a pretty much dominating performance by Salem.I thought they would win but by 3tds?Great job by Salems D pretty much holding the UNSTOPPABLE JF offense in check.To stop them TWICE inside the 10 just showed who was more prepared&wanted it more. Great job by the coaching staff.Nothing JF did Salem wasn't ready for.Yes Jones broke the one long one&Trent did but that was it.Christmas chalked it up to JF having a bad night.Yes that&to much Salem D.I think I remember the night he layed 70 on Amherst he said on TV nobody could stop their offense.Nobody around our AREA could BUT Salem sure did.
JF had a very simple,effective formula.Jump up 2-3 tds,the other team would turn the ball over allowing them to build huge leads which would cover the lack of defense they played.Well Salem hit them quick&hard&THEY got the 2TD lead&they DIDNT turn it over like others did.If Amherst hadn't turned it over like they did they very well would have beat JF.In todays world of football at all levels,if you play good D you usually win out in the end.Look at Baylor,TCU those type teams.Get all the hype because of high scoring offenses just winning shootouts.All the teams in the finals at all levels play good Defense,some play GREAT DEFENSE,like Appomattox&Salem&Lord Botetourt .Hence they are playing for state titles this Sat.
Congrats to JF on having a great year.Remember though offense sells tickets-DEFENSE wins championships.
For the great game&great year Salem has had,they get their rematch with Lake Taylor.Good luck.Maybe just maybe get a turnover or 2 they can pull it off this year.Who knows they stopped the UNSTOPPABLE JF offense maybe they pull it off against LT.
BTW my school is Rustburg first,GO RED DEVILS.

Their defensive coach is Coach Landis and he taught Appomattox D coach everything he knows. He is a protege of him and I hold high regards when speaking on Landis. I have not figured out why the D for J.F. was so weak. I called this game a week ago.

Wait 1 second yes there defense was weak so was there offense vs a very good salem defense JF offense prob top in 4A in the state it was just not there defense they got ripped apart every part of that game

Those who know the game remotely, saw this coming,but not a pretty much dominating performance by Salem.I thought they would win but by 3tds?Great job by Salems D pretty much holding the UNSTOPPABLE JF offense in check.To stop them TWICE inside the 10 just showed who was more prepared&wanted it more. Great job by the coaching staff.Nothing JF did Salem wasn't ready for.Yes Jones broke the one long one&Trent did but that was it.Christmas chalked it up to JF having a bad night.Yes that&to much Salem D.I think I remember the night he layed 70 on Amherst he said on TV nobody could stop their offense.Nobody around our AREA could BUT Salem sure did.
JF had a very simple,effective formula.Jump up 2-3 tds,the other team would turn the ball over allowing them to build huge leads which would cover the lack of defense they played.Well Salem hit them quick&hard&THEY got the 2TD lead&they DIDNT turn it over like others did.If Amherst hadn't turned it over like they did they very well would have beat JF.In todays world of football at all levels,if you play good D you usually win out in the end.Look at Baylor,TCU those type teams.Get all the hype because of high scoring offenses just winning shootouts.All the teams in the finals at all levels play good Defense,some play GREAT DEFENSE,like Appomattox&Salem&Lord Botetourt .Hence they are playing for state titles this Sat.
Congrats to JF on having a great year.Remember though offense sells tickets-DEFENSE wins championships.
For the great game&great year Salem has had,they get their rematch with Lake Taylor.Good luck.Maybe just maybe get a turnover or 2 they can pull it off this year.Who knows they stopped the UNSTOPPABLE JF offense maybe they pull it off against LT.
BTW my school is Rustburg first,GO RED DEVILS.

Thanks for this post but it is hard to read because everything runs together. I do appreciate what you said about Amherst because I agree with you, if not for those turnovers by Amherst they could have beat JF. Amherst scored the most against them until the Salem game. Salem showed JF who was the team that night from the beginning. I was more impressed with Salem that night than I was against Amherst

JF will continue to roll the district cause nobody else will play fundamental sound football for 48 minutes the way Salem did, they gave up a couple plays but Salem didn't turn the ball over and they controlled the LOS on both sides for 48 minutes.

Maybe you believe JF will fall because Jones and Trent leave but coach christmas does it with less talent the system stays the same and the players are bought in. Once you get used to winning you keep on winning and unless you breakup apart of the winning component Lancers lost Abell and that group of Freshman he coached who got a state ring, Brockville lost Woody, the list goes on, but when all things remain constant the results remain constant.

Reactions: shauntclair
The issue with that system is the longer teams play it the more adept they become at defending it, especially when JF no longer has scholarship-level backs running it.

See: Christiansburg

Reactions: wikki
JF will continue to roll the district cause nobody else will play fundamental sound football for 48 minutes the way Salem did, they gave up a couple plays but Salem didn't turn the ball over and they controlled the LOS on both sides for 48 minutes.

Maybe you believe JF will fall because Jones and Trent leave but coach christmas does it with less talent the system stays the same and the players are bought in. Once you get used to winning you keep on winning and unless you breakup apart of the winning component Lancers lost Abell and that group of Freshman he coached who got a state ring, Brockville lost Woody, the list goes on, but when all things remain constant the results remain constant.

They might not have that explosive speed next year. If not for so many turnovers, Amherst would have been in that game and could have won, in my opinion. I agree about losing coaching it does change what you were used to. Salem has had their coach for many years now and they will continue to be great. Jf will also be great year after year but you also need to get to state and win some as well.

JF will fall some, he doesn't have those explosive backs mixed in with a defense that wasn't that good. I don't see them running through the district like Christmas' first two seasons. He is a good coach but at the end of the day...Jimmy and Joes matter!

I called this game also.

I guess JFK was so focused on running the ball they forgot that if you pass ball and play defense, chances of winning a state championship are greatly increased. Lack of passing game has cost a lot of teams come December. They run ball 40-50 times a game during season putting up good numbers, but in playoffs they play a team that can play defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT