ADVERTISEMENT

JF/Salem

Shabutie

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2006
Good defensive gameplan by JF tonight. They showed no respect to Salem's passing game and put 9 in the box on practically every snap. They knew this would be the best change they had at getting stops and props to them for sticking to it. They brought a lot of different looks on early downs to hopefully get a negative play and put Salem in long yardage situations and it worked enough for them to get some stops.

The offense for JF was very tough. Those running backs are both very good and the quarterback showed some nice accuracy and running ability as well. I thought they played just as well as Salem up front if not better. They have a pretty polished and skilled receiver that you usually don't see them have and he made some nice plays.

Salem just never developed their passing game this year. In the second half of this game they just had a breakdown of some type on nearly every drop back. On some plays the protection was poor (Although going play action on 3rd and 10 didn't do them any favors) and then when they had good protection and a good route they would have an inaccurate throw. On another play they went to run a screen and the timing was way off and the OL and RB collided in the backfield. Salem had a chance to tie the game on their last two point conversion and I thought the ball was put in a very good spot but the receiver mistimed his jump and didn't make the play. The story of this game in the second half was JF making the plays when they needed to and Salem not doing it. JF had a third and long on a critical drive and they convert on an accurate throw for a TD. Salem has third and long and missed a wide open receiver and had to punt the ball.

Salem played ok on defense but there were a bunch of times when they had no interest in hitting Cupit or Blake. You don't often see a Salem team avoid head on contact and intentionally arm tackle but that was happening often tonight. They did force a fumble in the second half deep in their own territory and one JF player was able to recover the ball with five Salem players near him.

This Salem team has a lot of young players and will look to improve for next year. They have the smallest Junior class of players that I have ever seen from a Salem team so they will be mainly led by juniors and sophomores next year.

Not sure rain man's problem I Just Wish his team luck, maybe he is just showing his age 17 lol

Good defensive gameplan by JF tonight. They showed no respect to Salem's passing game and put 9 in the box on practically every snap. They knew this would be the best change they had at getting stops and props to them for sticking to it. They brought a lot of different looks on early downs to hopefully get a negative play and put Salem in long yardage situations and it worked enough for them to get some stops.

The offense for JF was very tough. Those running backs are both very good and the quarterback showed some nice accuracy and running ability as well. I thought they played just as well as Salem up front if not better. They have a pretty polished and skilled receiver that you usually don't see them have and he made some nice plays.

Salem just never developed their passing game this year. In the second half of this game they just had a breakdown of some type on nearly every drop back. On some plays the protection was poor (Although going play action on 3rd and 10 didn't do them any favors) and then when they had good protection and a good route they would have an inaccurate throw. On another play they went to run a screen and the timing was way off and the OL and RB collided in the backfield. Salem had a chance to tie the game on their last two point conversion and I thought the ball was put in a very good spot but the receiver mistimed his jump and didn't make the play. The story of this game in the second half was JF making the plays when they needed to and Salem not doing it. JF had a third and long on a critical drive and they convert on an accurate throw for a TD. Salem has third and long and missed a wide open receiver and had to punt the ball.

Salem played ok on defense but there were a bunch of times when they had no interest in hitting Cupit or Blake. You don't often see a Salem team avoid head on contact and intentionally arm tackle but that was happening often tonight. They did force a fumble in the second half deep in their own territory and one JF player was able to recover the ball with five Salem players near him.

This Salem team has a lot of young players and will look to improve for next year. They have the smallest Junior class of players that I have ever seen from a Salem team so they will be mainly led by juniors and sophomores next year.

I thought the Spartans would come alive come playoff time but the run was meant to end tonight. Tremendous run, congratulations to everyone involved! Highland Springs and Appo still alive for 4 peats. HS should accomplish it, Appo will have a tough road.

@Shabutie Your boys will be back next year amongst the elite. #42 is a ballplayer! Got that it factor on both sides. One question though. Who is the next QB and which former Salem QB would you compare his game to?

I thought the Spartans would come alive come playoff time but the run was meant to end tonight. Tremendous run, congratulations to everyone involved! Highland Springs and Appo still alive for 4 peats. HS should accomplish it, Appo will have a tough road.

@Shabutie Your boys will be back next year amongst the elite. #42 is a ballplayer! Got that it factor on both sides. One question though. Who is the next QB and which former Salem QB would you compare his game to?
You forgot about Westfield

Reactions: mbonape1

Thanks for the kind words... been awhile since we played against each other on the field and its always nice to see you.

If I was a betting man I would say that Jefferey Phillips will be the QB next year assuming he packs on some weight. He actually started a few games at corner this year as a freshman. He has very nice mechanics and is very fast. Actually pretty similar to Noah Beckley potentially now that I think about.

I also think they will have a FB next year that's more of a big play threat than what they have had this year named Landon Guthrie. I really like some of the guards and the center they have coming up from JV but tackle I'm not as confident about... will need a few guys to develop. Will also need to develop someone at TE. There are a few freshman (Stacy Williams and Reggie Brown) that have big time potential on the line as well and the way they progress could really turn the team into potential contender. They also have a very talented running back/LB named Cameron Leftwhich that will be sophomore next year but due to having Persinger and Wood ahead of him I could see him being more of a factor on defense at LB or DE. If Lewis Ramsey plays next year he could potentially factor in as well. He is the younger brother of Alex and Deangelo.

I could actually see them being even younger on defense next year but I think the unit will have big-time potential. They will only have a handful of senior starters next year.

Westfield in Class 6 is still alive for the 4-peat too. They or HS has the best chance IMO. Westfield is loaded. They physically look like a college team.

Reactions: OCBoy and mbonape1
Westfield in Class 6 is still alive for the 4-peat too. They or HS has the best chance IMO. Westfield is loaded. They physically look like a college team.
Thanks for the compliment, VolNation85, but this year's WF team is not big at all. A few taller players, yes, but not big-especially on the lines. They have the pieces to get to the final again but there are several major obstacles looming. There are more teams than usual this year that can win it all in Class 6.

Reactions: VolNation85
No one carez but you

Sour grapes huh? You mad or big mad? Somebody reference the 17 I just responded, enroll the Salem kids in a offseason program and get back to work so that youth can develop.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what rings he has not sure if they make ring pops anymore lolol

State championships, bowl games, conference champions, maybe you have a few ring pops but enjoy watching the rest of the playoffs from home since you won’t get a ring yourself this year and got bounced in round 1.

Reactions: FootballArmy
What are you 5?

Just wondering how I’m 5 but your fellow fans of Salem posters brought up the analogy about ring pops and etc. I said goodbye to the Spartans as they exited the playoffs and asked why is the “youth” movement an excuse, highland springs is winning with young talent, and are on a 3 peat defense like you all were but I don’t hear those excuses from their fans. But again enjoy hating and watching from the bleachers with your team, enroll those kids in an offseason program so they’ll grow up and mature and won’t make those youth mistakes again this upcoming year as they won’t be seniors again.

Just wondering how I’m 5 but your fellow fans of Salem posters brought up the analogy about ring pops and etc. I said goodbye to the Spartans as they exited the playoffs and asked why is the “youth” movement an excuse, highland springs is winning with young talent, and are on a 3 peat defense like you all were but I don’t hear those excuses from their fans. But again enjoy hating and watching from the bleachers with your team, enroll those kids in an offseason program so they’ll grow up and mature and won’t make those youth mistakes again this upcoming year as they won’t be seniors again.

Come on man, you completely started this argument last night on multiple threads with the na na thing. So they didn't reach their goal, no reason for all this.

Is it your assertion that the Salem fans shouldn't be proud of their team, community and history and not think they had a chance?

What I see is not someone excited for JF or whoever their team is, but excited that KIDS lost.

Say what you want I just said put the kids in an off-season workout program to get them better if they are that young allow them to grow. Instead of excusing the action of they are young blah blah blah, I forget you can’t troll the masses as they’ve done it before. Shoe never quite fits when ya got it on the other foot, it’s just uncomfortable. Some posters understand others don’t, carry on now. We have playoff games to discuss.

@rainman17 seriously you need to stop trolling the board. I have no problem with smack talk, although I don't remember this before the game? Seems like you talk a good game after the fact. I don't even have a problem with you talking smack against Salem.

I don't think you generally troll the board, but you are definitely trolling this subject, just be an adult and move along.

Congratulations to JF, if that's your team, I hope they do well in the playoffs they are a good team. I love Coach Christmas, he was actually my seventh grade PE teacher at LCA.

Before you consider coming back at me with a smart comment or remark, just remember I'm a moderator. Please desist with the negative posting & trolling.

No disrespect intended to yourself or your team, have a good day.

Yes, please carry on with the good conversation. I will look forward to the games coming soon. I'm very interested in the Black and Blue Bowl part 2, should be a classic. I grew up in Rustburg so I'm a Seminole guy as well as a Salem guy. I love the way the Seminole plays, it's a very competitive District. Good luck moving forward in playoffs. If JF plays the way they did Friday they will definitely be a tough out.

Maybe your team would want them since they won’t be getting any hardware this year.
Say what you want I just said put the kids in an off-season workout program to get them better if they are that young allow them to grow. Instead of excusing the action of they are young blah blah blah, I forget you can’t troll the masses as they’ve done it before. Shoe never quite fits when ya got it on the other foot, it’s just uncomfortable. Some posters understand others don’t, carry on now. We have playoff games to discuss.
U really hate us Spartans no excuses here good job sir

FUNNY guy losses happen to the greats of every sport this just shows how much u hate us winning ....but anyway how good job to JF i like all high school sports but i am a Spartan

State championships, bowl games, conference champions, maybe you have a few ring pops but enjoy watching the rest of the playoffs from home since you won’t get a ring yourself this year and got bounced in round 1.
Deep in your heart u love us

It’s sunday and you still find a way to think about me and bring up a dead horse that’s been beaten already. If I respond I’ll be trolling as I got a stern warning for doing that by the guy who’s also a Salem fan. So have a good Sunday and a better off season. Best of luck.

It’s sunday and you still find a way to think about me and bring up a dead horse that’s been beaten already. If I respond I’ll be trolling as I got a stern warning for doing that by the guy who’s also a Salem fan. So have a good Sunday and a better off season. Best of luck.
The stern warning had nothing to do with me being a Salem fan.

@Salem wood you can just let it go, we'll be back. It's just time to move on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT