ADVERTISEMENT

JM 7 on 7 (June 9)

one man

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
T-Storms held off, was great day for football. Very humid. Field consisted of JM, Chancellor, Caroline, Riverbend, Eastern View, Brooke Point, Washington & Lee and Charlottesville. We were missing some guys due to ACTs today, including our starting and backup QB, and it had a huge impact on our ability to score consistently. Our young guys got a lot better today and learned a lot. We went winless for the day but only EV and Brooke Point beat us by more than 1 score.

In pool play, I want to say EV was the only team to finish unbeaten. We left before the final but I'd be shocked if they didn't win it all. They were without a doubt the best looking team in attendance IMO. QB was very good, great at getting to progressions and anticipating timing routes. The culture at EV is very impressive. They were fundamentally sound on both sides and very football aware all the way around. Most impressive to me is their confidence that isn't cockiness. They expected to win each game but they acted like they had been their before when they did win. Region 4B, the Cyclones will be ready to rock this fall.

I thought all the teams in attendance had some playmakers and were competitive. Chancellor should be better this year, JM is always great in this setting and today was no different. Caroline was not nearly as big and physical as last year but lots of smaller quick skill guys that made plays. Brooke Point won't be as good as they were last year but they wont' be a push over either. Riverbend is probably in the same boat, not as good as last year but still no slouch. The 1A school W&L had some really good looking kids for such a small school. They've got a good young coach whose also running flexbone triple. I'm not familiar with who they play in 1A but if they've got any type of big uglies, they should be pretty good in 1A.

It's tough to gauge how well teams will be in the fall during passing leagues. From a skill player talent perspective, you can get a good idea of what a team is capable of if they have the big uglies to compliment them.

Less than 60 days until football season starts. Almost there folks!!!

Thanks one man. Coaches do a much better job of understanding the talent at 7 on 7 that any of us fans do. You see things entirely different than we do.

I'm not surprised about EV. They were a heck of a good team last year. Like you said, fundamentally sound. Just never made mistakes that hurt themselves. A late game field goal is all that kept them from advancing past Dinwiddie last year.

Look for the EV QB to have a standout year. I believe he will be one of the best in VA...at any level. He can run it as well as sling it.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT