ADVERTISEMENT

Kecoughtan hangs on to defeat Grassfield

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Kecoughtan jumped out to a 5-0 lead and starting pitcher Liam Bellows survived a tough bottom of the seventh to give the Warriors a 5-4 win over the Grassfield.

Grizzlies. Liam threw a complete game and picked up the win despite three Kecoughtan errors in the final inning. It was the Warriors 1st conference win.

"This was the best we played all year," Kecoughtan head coach Brett Wheeler said. "We put the ball in play and scored runs early which we haven't done."

Bellows was cruising until Western Carolina commit Andrew Bullock smashed a homerun over the right field fence to pull Grassfield to within four (5-1). Bellows did not give up another run until the seventh inning when a single and an error by Liam put two runners on base.

Trenton Burmeister tripled down the right field line scoring two runners to cut the margin to 5-3. Burmeister later scored on a grounder to 3rd base slicing the lead to one. Two more errors put the winning run on 1st base but Bellows ended the drama by getting Dwight Riddick to fly out to center.

"Liam was incredible on the mound," Wheeler said. "He was getting ahead He was getting spots where he was throwing fastballs during breaking ball counts and breaking balls during fast ball courts. I thought our defense played well other than the final inning.

Bellows was helped by some great defensive gems early in the game. Second baseman Dillon Roberts turned a 1st inning double play and catcher Robbie Edwards threw out two baserunners including one at 1st base. Right fielder snagged down a sure extra-base hit in the 4th inning. Bellows did the rest striking out six batters.

"I hit the spots that I needed to," Bellows said. "My curveball was working for me and also my 2-seam.My defense really backed me up."

Kecoughtan jumped on Grassfield starter Logan Kehely for three runs in the top of the 1st inning. Austin Savage singled in Hunter Riss with two outs and Dylan Updike doubled to center scoring to runs for a 3-0 Warriors lead. Kecoughtan struck gold again with two outs scoring two runs on a 2-run single from Blake Robinson to extend the lead to 5-0. That turned out to be just enough to give Kecoughtan their 1st Conference 2 win.

"It took a while for us to learn how to play together and I think we are finally getting there," Wheeler said. "Our Conference is so tough but I feel like we are as good as anybody."

Kecoughtan
Robinson 1-4, 2 RBI
Riss 1-4, run
Edwards 2-4, run 2 2B
Savage 1-2, run, BB
Updike 1-3, 2 RBI
Roberts 1-2, BB, run
Bellows (W) 7 IP, 3 ER, 4 runs, 6 hits, 6 K's, 3 BB

Grassfield
Bullock 1-3, HR, RBI
Burmeister 2-2, Triple , walk, 2 RBI
Lasko 2-2, run