ADVERTISEMENT

King’s Fork

DanvilleSportsHead

VaPreps All District
Sep 24, 2014
North Danville, VA
What will y’all have on Offense? @ForksUp. King’s Fork is an intriguing team imo. They bolster the best D-Line in 4a and they play in the same district as Oscar Smith, Indian River, Deep Creek, and Nansesmond River who played Highland Springs tough in the state semi’s last year. Gotta have the Bulldogs on your watchlist if they come out of there with at least 2 or 3 wins over those teams.

KF is top 5 on my board statewide in class 4 and I have been floating around the idea of having them at the top. With that being said they could easily have at least 2 losses or more. Indian River is going to be vastly improved this year. OS is OS. I think they come out of this at least 8-2 and maybe 10-0. If they come out undefeated then they deserve to be number 1 no questions asked. The 757 will be tougher and more well rounded this year as a whole in my opinion. The Peninsula and the BRD hurt the total product a bit in the 757. Lafayette, Hampton being the bright spots. I have to think that soon the Peninsula which may have more state titles than any other district in VA will bounce back in a big way.

Not 4A but Pheobus may actually have the best chance of the 757 teams to win a Championship. They just placed 3rd in a big 7on7 in NC. (48 teams) with W. Wilson, Camden, NJ winning 1st; Butter, Matthews, NC 2nd! I believe Vero Beach, FL, Highland Springs, Bishop Sullivan, West Forsyth, etc were all beaten at this tournament!

The Phantom's scrimmage vs O.Smith Aug 9th @ O. Smith Middle (as a tribute to Hall of Fame inductee, Kenny Easley. That was the old HS for O. Smith when he played).

The schedule always copies/paste kind of crappy, but here it is to further the discussion.

I can see 9-1. At OCS is a tough hill to climb.

Date
Opponent Result
8/247:00p
Wilson (Portsmouth, VA)
Preview Game

9/77:00p
@ Western Branch (Chesapeake, VA)
Game Details: Western Branch HS, Stadium
Preview Game
9/147:00p
Hickory (Chesapeake, VA)
Preview Game

9/217:00p
@ Grassfield (Chesapeake, VA)
Preview Game

9/287:00p
Nansemond River (Suffolk, VA)
Game Details: King`s Fork HS, Stadium
Preview Game

10/57:00p
Great Bridge (Chesapeake, VA)
Preview Game
10/127:00p
@ Indian River (Chesapeake, VA)
Game Details: Indian River HS, Stadium
Preview Game
10/197:00p
@ Lakeland (Suffolk, VA)
Game Details: Lakeland HS, Stadium
Preview Game
10/267:00p
Deep Creek (Chesapeake, VA)
Game Details: King`s Fork HS, Stadium
Preview Game
11/27:00p
@ Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA)
Game Details: Oscar Smith HS, Stadium
Preview Game
Schedule Legend
  • Region Game = *
  • Playoff Game= **

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
King's Fork will be good but I expect some fall off. But frankly the S.E District winner could very well have 2 losses this year. Whomever comes out winning the District will be poised to go deep in the playoffs!!

Close games for KF will be:

Nansemond River, switched over to the Wing T & they have problems with good teams that run it.

Western Branch.. Wing T but not as good as previous years. It would be another upset if KF loses again.

Deep Creek.. New Rivalry in Chesapeake.

I. River... Toss up Game but I'd give the Braves the edge given all the transfers they've gotten. Just today, our writers had written article about another top player for I. River who's been ineligible for 2 years but still has several D1 offers at LB. He's supposedly returning for 2018 as a senior, top recruit.

O. Smith.... the game will be at the O. Smith, it's a toss up Game with the favorite being whomever has the momentum late in the season.

King's Fork will be good but I expect some fall off. But frankly the S.E District winner could very well have 2 losses this year. Whomever comes out winning the District will be poised to go deep in the playoffs!!

Close games for KF will be:

Nansemond River, switched over to the Wing T & they have problems with good teams that run it.

Western Branch.. Wing T but not as good as previous years. It would be another upset if KF loses again.

Deep Creek.. New Rivalry in Chesapeake.

I. River... Toss up Game but I'd give the Braves the edge given all the transfers they've gotten. Just today, our writers had written article about another top player for I. River who's been ineligible for 2 years but still has several D1 offers at LB. He's supposedly returning for 2018 as a senior, top recruit.

O. Smith.... the game will be at the O. Smith, it's a toss up Game with the favorite being whomever has the momentum late in the season.
Thanks brother! That’s really really good football week in and week out. I’ve never been to a high school football game in the Seven Five (2017 State Championship doesn’t count ;)) but I’ll have to check a few out this year. I’ll more than likely be at that IR/Smith game this year. Been wanting to make it the past 3 years but never made it. It will be a top 3 best game in the state this year.

I.River vs O. Smith is on a Saturday Oct 20th & is during the day) Some games have been on neutral sights to prevent confrontations (usually outsiders stirring up trouble in the parking lot).

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Got a chance to catch up with Scottie Littles - Head Football Coach of King's Fork entering his 3rd year at the helm - on Monday night while watching some King's Fork Summer League Basketball action. He likes his group and for a variety of reasons.

New QB stepping in, so replacing Justin German - who threw for over 300 yards in that big win over Oscar Smith to snap their 99-game Southeastern District winning streak - will certainly be a question mark many have going into the season. I don't see a significant drop-off at running back with Leo Wethington stepping in for Darran Butts. Remember, they had another Wethington - Deshaun, who went on to Towson - that was a standout running the ball. They can replace Cherrod Joe's production at receiver not so much with one guy, but collectively.

Bobby Boone is a name to watch out for - speedster who can do damage at receiver and in the secondary. Their offensive line looks to be more solidified at this time than a year ago, which was really the only real question mark I had as we put them in our Preseason Top 10 in Class 4 with many wondering why coming off a sub-.500 season the year before.

Clearly, the strength of this team lays in the middle with those two stud DT's - Treyshaun Mitchell and Jayree Hardy. Both have several scholarship offers and form one of the best tandems in the state. There are some other names we'll be highlighting soon in our preview + on the site in stories worth watching out for... they did lose Chris Shearin in the secondary as he's now at IMG Academy and just committed last night to Missouri.

But overall - I think we're looking at King's Fork right in that convo among the top in the Southeastern District with longtime favorite Oscar Smith, an Indian River that has picked up some new pieces, and wouldn't even sleep on the likes of Deep Creek or Nansemond River as both made noise in 2017. One of the stronger districts in VA.

What Matt said....:):):)

I think the talent out here in Suffolk is overlooked, getting on 58 and coming out this way is a hike.

One thing that Fork will NEVER have a shortage of is athletes. The Cherrod Joes, Darren Butts, and Chris Shearins are special, don't get me wrong. I just think with the system Coach Littles and Co. have these guys playing in opens it up for the horses to run.

QB is a question mark for sure. German has been the only QB to play in the system. With that said it is a very QB friendly offense. One read type stuff for the most part.

The running game will be what carries the Fork offense. Leo is a great kid and can really tote that thing.

Matt mentioned Bobby Boone. He was over shadowed last year by Joe and Butts but this is his year. He needs to clean up the drops. Once he does that watch out. Very fast. He's fast. Booby is kinda fast. The guy can fly!! LOL. Again, with the system it is going to be get him the ball in space and let him do what he does.

Defensively there will be no drop off. There may be improvement, which is a scary thought. First and foremost teams will have to find ways to stop the two DTs they have. Then behind them is a linebacker who will really have a chance to have a big year. There will be new faces on this side but again, replacing athletes is not an issue here.

It comes down to the line play on both sides. The offensive line lost 3 starting seniors, I believe. Can that be squared up? Who plays along side those DTs? Last year Sam Dunn kinda came out of nowhere at defensive end and played great. Who does that this year?

Deep Creek, Indian River, and Smith are the games that'll give us an idea of what to expect playoff time. I suspect the buy-in will be at an all time high and you're really going to have to play all 4 quarters to beat Kings Fork. Discipline has been a problem in the past but Rome wasn't built overnight. Those problems were in place well before Coach Littles and, I think, huge strides were made in year 2. Still a lot of penalties but they did a much better job of controlling their emotions following those flags. Especially the Western Branch game last year where it seemed like Fork was getting a 15 yard penalty for looking in the wrong direction :eek::eek:.

Nevertheless, I expect Kings Fork will compete in every game this year. It's great being in this district because of teams like Smith and Indian River. Our guys welcome the challenge and will be ready. Glad we're getting so close!!

King's Fork were their own enemies last year. I'm rooting for them to make a lot of noise. They have a ton of talent, but if they make it all the way and face Salem, they'll need that discipline and then some. Salem is even more disciplined than Lafayette, and makes you pay for any little mistake.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT