ADVERTISEMENT

King George 19 Courtland 14 FINAL

Not as big of an upset as some might think, KG is good! Jordan Aley is the real deal.
Not sure this win helps me on my thoughts of your comment about pods on the 804 side being stronger compared to 757 pod. Top teams on 757 pod would not lose to a team near the bottom of their pod. Pods in Richmond, Fredericksburg area pod maybe more even in their pod but not sure they are better than the ones in 757 area from top to bottom.

Last edited:
Not as big of an upset as some might think, KG is good! Jordan Aley is the real deal.
We'll disagree here. KG is slightly better than a middle team. This should not have happened but it did. Those notoriously slow Courtland starts caught up to them again. This was the cruise part of their schedule and it looks like they took that a little too literally. I'm sure KG played a fine game but this was not KG's game to win. It was Courtland's to lose. And they did just that. i'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what actually happened.

Well done Foxes. Best team on the field tonight.

King George's defense shut down the cougars, the running backs were hit hard and often. KG's offensive line played excellent and they finally put it together up front. KG should have scored at least one more touch down, they were inside the 10 and penalties backed KG up to the 25. Hats off to the KG's coaches. KG also had four field goal attempts blocked.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
KG is a physical team, just couldn't get off the field on 3rd and 4th downs when we played them, just like we couldn't last week. I didn't think KG would win tonight, but that it would be closer than Courtland/Chancellor was.

Please guys. Chancellor is far more physical than KG. Hell, Spotsy scored more against the Foxes than Courtland did. Courtland sucked tonight. That's all there was to it. That happens to any team at times but it's the Champions that find a way to pull these out anyway. i can only hope this kick in the butt adds some motivation to the kids.

It does remind me of how KG can play sometimes. In 2010, a 4 - 6 KG put a whoopin' on the Cougars. I believe VHSL-reference still lists this as one of the biggest upsets ever. Cougars won the Regional Championship that year. In 2013, KG beat James Monroe who went on to the State Championship final. Now KG does it against Courtland again. Foxes know how to shake things up. Well done.

Kind of keeps saying that the group of 16 and those potential Cinderella stories isn't so bad after all.

KG led Spotsy 34-0 at halftime, and played their backups the whole second half. By the way, Spotsy gave JM a decent game tonight, for the first time in MANY years. It was 12-7 JM in the 4th quarter. Something in that Spotsy water, or maybe Spotsy has indeed improved? Hmmmm....And no, having seen Chancellor in person twice and KG once, KG is definitely the more physical team, and tonight was no fluke. Might have to pick KG against the Chargers. Perspective.

I still think Courtland is capable of doing it. Have you seen Courtland or KG play? Their styles of play are perfect for each other, and again, KG isn't bad at all. And when you have 4.4 40 guys on both sides of the ball for both teams (Lawson for Courtland, Aley for KG), it's easy to contain big plays.

I'm not saying KG is bad or I think it was a huge upset, I'm saying how can you not call it a huge upset after your bold prediction earlier. This just in from the AP wire, if courtland can't beat kg then they won't be the last one standing from the east.

And KG has Breck Hall (Courtland coach's brother) as their defensive coordinator now, who was at Louisa last year, so KG and Courtland run the exact same defense now.

I'm not saying KG is bad or I think it was a huge upset, I'm saying how can you not call it a huge upset after your bold prediction earlier. This just in from the AP wire, if courtland can't beat kg then they won't be the last one standing from the east.
Because the East is more wide open than you think, and people besides me who've also seen LT and Courtland play agree. But honestly, with high school football, who the heck really knows what's going to happen with these kids on any given night? As KG and Louisa showed.

Last edited:
KG led Spotsy 34-0 at halftime, and played their backups the whole second half. By the way, Spotsy gave JM a decent game tonight, for the first time in MANY years. It was 12-7 JM in the 4th quarter. Something in that Spotsy water, or maybe Spotsy has indeed improved? Hmmmm....And no, having seen Chancellor in person twice and KG once, KG is definitely the more physical team, and tonight was no fluke. Might have to pick KG against the Chargers. Perspective.
Yes, perspective. In mine, Chancellor will beat KG by 2 TD's. Probably more because they're not as physical. We'll see next Friday.

FYI, well done at Monticello.

From the FLS story, it looks like it was the Will Clift and Pacarri Brown show. It seems Courtland focused on stopping Aley, he only had a good punt return. Looks like KG played sound defense and slowed down the three-headed monster just enough to win, bending but not breaking. Nice win for KG on their homecoming, and they get Chancellor at home next week.

Who ever comes out of 757 pods wins east and most likely the whole thing. I think this is a huge upset, and maybe courtland regroups after this. I agree with shaunty courtland did not show up to play. Look at their body of work this season. On paper they are the more talented team but they did not show it on the field.

From a quick glance at the FLS, it seems that it was turnovers that got Courtland again. Got to protect the ball. Courtland had more first downs, more offensive yards, but also more turnovers. The difference in the score was the TD KG scored on the Courtland fumble. Sounds like KG played the more error free game, didn't beat themselves, and Courtland couldn't beat them last night. Good game KG. If they play against Chancellor like they played last night, I think they've got a good chance to beat Chancellor. Have a good one!

From the FLS story, it looks like it was the Will Clift and Pacarri Brown show. It seems Courtland focused on stopping Aley, he only had a good punt return. Looks like KG played sound defense and slowed down the three-headed monster just enough to win, bending but not breaking. Nice win for KG on their homecoming, and they get Chancellor at home next week.
Yup. Read the FLS and it sure looked like the KG defense played very well. Bend and not break. They shut em' down and held on.

The Courtland offense, over the course of this season, has shown a propensity for slow starts and then turn it up in the 2nd half. That's not going to fly in the playoffs and they still have JM to go through. Be ashame to waste all that talent because you can't bring the fire from the get go. GL to them in the rest of the season.

From a quick glance at the FLS, it seems that it was turnovers that got Courtland again. Got to protect the ball. Courtland had more first downs, more offensive yards, but also more turnovers. The difference in the score was the TD KG scored on the Courtland fumble. Sounds like KG played the more error free game, didn't beat themselves, and Courtland couldn't beat them last night. Good game KG. If they play against Chancellor like they played last night, I think they've got a good chance to beat Chancellor. Have a good one!
And KG had more penalties, gotta include that too.

Last edited:
The two 757 semi finalist will be LT and Lafayette. Thought originally Kings Fork may make a run, but they seem to be too one dimensional. They go as far as their rb Wethington takes them. The 19/20 pod is a bit more interesting its all about the match-ups. You guys seem to be forgetting about Monacan. Their quarterback is now healthy and he is the key. They have a very balanced attack and can score in a hurry. The defense has been very good all year. LC Bird is their only blemish. We do play football in the Richmond area and if you think Hanover, Monacon and Dinwiddie will lay down for the Jefferson and Battlefield District then you just may be in for a surprise. Depending on the seedings you may see an all Richmond cross over. The funny thing is since the new alignment no one from either district advanced to a West final, but now you think you will dominate the East where the State Champion has come from the past two years. Hmmm. Just don't see it happenning.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
KG also showed why I like the Single Wing more than Wing T.

No one said the Richmond schools would lay down for anyone. We all have biases to our areas, whether it's warranted or misconception will be shown in a few short weeks now. It took two special teams from the East, that would've competed in 5A and 6A, to win the title the last two years. Do I see a team like that this year, so far? No. Do I think Salem would've beaten Monacan last year? Do I think a Louisa or Courtland can score on and beat some of those Richmond and Tidewater teams? Absolutely to both. Lafayette has struggled with 540 teams on the regular. It's all about match ups and style of play. I have yet to see a sound, consistent tackling defense in the East this year besides LT and Courtland. Say it's all because of team speed or athleticism on the offenses or the other typical East hullabaloo, we'll see in a few short weeks. Am I wrong? Probably, and I'll take my crow (again) if needed.

Last edited:
I'm not going to debat
KG also showed why I like the Single Wing more than Wing T.

No one said the Richmond schools would lay down for anyone. We all have biases to our areas, whether it's warranted or misconception will be shown in a few short weeks now. It took two special teams from the East, that would've competed in 5A and 6A, to win the title the last two years. Do I see a team like that this year, so far? No. Do I think Salem would've beaten Monacan last year? Do I think a Louisa or Courtland can score on and beat some of those Richmond and Tidewater teams? Absolutely to both. Lafayette has struggled with 540 teams on the regular. It's all about match ups and style of play. I have yet to see a sound, consistent tackling defense in the East this year besides LT and Courtland. Say it's all because of team speed or athleticism on the offenses or the other typical East hullabaloo, we'll see in a few short weeks. Am I wrong? Probably, and I'll take my crow (again) if needed.
I am not going to debate the speed/athletic argument its passe'. Did not say anyone said the Richmond teams will lay down. My point was you guys were saying "Courtland and a 757 team would come out of the East. We shall see. I surely can't pick who will be the 19/20 pod final 2 but I will say that Monacan, Hanover and Dinwiddie will be a tough out. Will provide a fact based justification about the playoffs once the final seedings are available. No need to argue this point now.

Navy, I'm not convinced Lafayette will be a factor in the playoffs. I just don't think they have played any challenging teams to know how to handle the first few smacks.

You remember how Matoaca came out after halftime against us? Knocked the kids back on their heels, never let up, and we never gained enough composure to do the things necessary to change their defensive scheme. Until it was way to late. I think that's what will happen to Lafayette. You get behind a powerful team early, can't execute your practiced and rehearsed game plan, and things unravel from there.

I just have a lot of respect for a team that is battle tested. A good example down our way is Hopewell and Petersburg, (on typical years). Knocking heads with the likes of Matoaca, Meadowbrook, Thomas Dale and Dinwiddie, and occasionally 5a Prince George, either makes the kids better able to handle the pressure of intense, fast, and/or physical games, or makes you become just another victim. Plus, as we both have seen this year, you can have 75 players on the roster, but that doesn't mean you have depth. By the second half in these type games, the two way players are about done. But the deep teams just get faster. Ask ole Mr. Canada about that. Took him to the 4th quarter to get the 6 yards he needed to top the 1000 yard mark for the season. And then it was against JV competition. That's what playing both ways did to him and his blockers.

And I sure didn't see Kings Fork suddenly looking like a lower half seeding type team. I know you said they were one dimensional, but I figured they were better than what they have shown the last two weeks.

I need to correct the fact that KG had 2 blocked extra points and 2 blocked field goals. Not four block field goals.

Navy, I'm not convinced Lafayette will be a factor in the playoffs. I just don't think they have played any challenging teams to know how to handle the first few smacks.

You remember how Matoaca came out after halftime against us? Knocked the kids back on their heels, never let up, and we never gained enough composure to do the things necessary to change their defensive scheme. Until it was way to late. I think that's what will happen to Lafayette. You get behind a powerful team early, can't execute your practiced and rehearsed game plan, and things unravel from there.

I just have a lot of respect for a team that is battle tested. A good example down our way is Hopewell and Petersburg, (on typical years). Knocking heads with the likes of Matoaca, Meadowbrook, Thomas Dale and Dinwiddie, and occasionally 5a Prince George, either makes the kids better able to handle the pressure of intense, fast, and/or physical games, or makes you become just another victim. Plus, as we both have seen this year, you can have 75 players on the roster, but that doesn't mean you have depth. By the second half in these type games, the two way players are about done. But the deep teams just get faster. Ask ole Mr. Canada about that. Took him to the 4th quarter to get the 6 yards he needed to top the 1000 yard mark for the season. And then it was against JV competition. That's what playing both ways did to him and his blockers.

And I sure didn't see Kings Fork suddenly looking like a lower half seeding type team. I know you said they were one dimensional, but I figured they were better than what they have shown the last two weeks.
Last year we played the battle hardened Hopewell and Petersburg in the playoffs and they turned out to be cream puffs.

Last year we played the battle hardened Hopewell and Petersburg in the playoffs and they turned out to be cream puffs.

Cream puffs huh? Both of those teams were awful a year ago...We scrimmaged Hopewell (my HS) and was up 59-0 in the 3q. They got ran through in the Central District a year ago.. Hopewell is improved this year as they had a very young team a year ago and Petersburg is still not that good.

Cream puffs huh? Both of those teams were awful a year ago...We scrimmaged Hopewell (my HS) and was up 59-0 in the 3q. They got ran through in the Central District a year ago.. Hopewell is improved this year as they had a very young team a year ago and Petersburg is still not that good.

Agree. Both those teams were well below average last year. both are better this year but not a lot. In the end, Lafayette will do what they always do come playoff time.

Agree. Both those teams were well below average last year. both are better this year but not a lot. In the end, Lafayette will do what they always do come playoff time.

Lafayette is in 4A now so there won't be any Hopewell or Petersburg. Probably a date with Heritage or Deep Creek then a matchup with Kings Fork. Not world beaters but a step up from the 3A competition.

Made it to the final last year, lost year before in OT in quarter-final. This year. Who knows- I agree it all about match ups and with high school kids and little in common opponents to go on it is all guess work (and who is injuried). The only known item is LT is the clear favorite.

A
Lafayette is in 4A now so there won't be any Hopewell or Petersburg. Probably a date with Heritage or Deep Creek then a matchup with Kings Fork. Not world beaters but a step up from the 3A competition.
Agree the match ups in 4a are a step up from 3a as it should be especially as Lafayette is the smallest 4a team in the pod. But it is interesting to play different teams and see how it goes. It ain't the end of the world to lose if the effort is 100%.

A

Agree the match ups in 4a are a step up from 3a as it should be especially as Lafayette is the smallest 4a team in the pod. But it is interesting to play different teams and see how it goes. It ain't the end of the world to lose if the effort is 100%.

I liked everything about you post except for this...Feels like a built in excuse...Well we are the smallest team in the pod so we aren't suppose to be in the games with the big boys...If they win some games then it can be the little engine that could in the pod won games.

You right it does sound like an excuse/ sorry bout that! What we can't change is who we play in 9 of 10 games and the heat I hear on that is unrelenting! There was some thought some years ago to not build a third high school and go to large 4a or 5a but that would mean joining a Richmond district and the constant travel would be too much so we stayed fairly local and in the Bay Rivers District. Yes, I wish in that one game we would play LT, Dinwiddie, Hsnover, etc.but that will never happen with the current coaching philosophy.

You right it does sound like an excuse/ sorry bout that! What we can't change is who we play in 9 of 10 games and the heat I hear on that is unrelenting! There was some thought some years ago to not build a third high school and go to large 4a or 5a but that would mean joining a Richmond district and the constant travel would be too much so we stayed fairly local and in the Bay Rivers District. Yes, I wish in that one game we would play LT, Dinwiddie, Hsnover, etc.but that will never happen with the current coaching philosophy.

Sad that is the philosophy...Gotta test yourself...The Bay Rivers is a cool little district teams and kids play hard, but that doesn't get you ready for the grind. Lafayette has been fortunate enough they have had very good teams that the BRD didn't hurt them too bad. I'm all for the best playing the best, but its been overstated on here too many times. GL to the Rams the rest of the way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT