ADVERTISEMENT

King William @ Charles City

I mean, the middle finger kid gives CC a bad rep, whether he regrets it or not...

There are kids who have out of character moments and this was one of them.

If you go by the assumption that one kid doing a negative thing gives a school or community a bad reputation, than you can make a list that consist of every school ever created and have there name on it.

Reactions: gwb16
Tough game to officiate. Just glad cooler heads prevailed and they stopped the game before something really bad happened.

I hadn't noticed that King and Queen doesn't have a football program anymore. Just not enough kids participating?

Did you see where I posted earlier this year that Hatteras had to cancel their season? Only had 8 kids show up for preseason practice the first week. It is kind of understandable. There is an ever-growing, permanant population down there, but the additions are mostly retirees. What was also sad was they have a brand new coach and his first season went up in smoke before it started.

Thanks again for always doing your best to promote the kids and the athletic programs.

There are kids who have out of character moments and this was one of them.

If you go by the assumption that one kid doing a negative thing gives a school or community a bad reputation, than you can make a list that consist of every school ever created and have there name on it.

Growing up in WP, I had friends from CC. But it seemed like every varsity basketball or football team had issues with sportsmanship or self-control. My words come with that background, not just this one incident. And honestly, I'm not judging CC as a whole based on that kid's mistake. But you act like actions should carry no associated consequences. Like it or not, perception is reality from the outside. If the coach at Charles City wants that perception to improve, he can tighten the reigns.

Why does there have to be negativity in this comment? Greene has coached Charles City for 14 out of the last 15 years.

If you have ever seen or played high school sports (no matter which one), kids get frustrated when they are losing. If a kid feels unjustified that something is not being called (such as a referee missing a call), the kid and the coach will sound off.

I guess I'm assuming or asking for too much with the justification and assumption that if a negative connotation occurs then it has to be the coach or the student-athletes.
Well, I played and coached and am a parent. For quite a while now. Whether you like it or not, its a reflection on the coach, the parents and the school. Hopefully your correct in your assumption that they regret it. If not thye are in for
Growing up in WP, I had friends from CC. But it seemed like every varsity basketball or football team had issues with sportsmanship or self-control. My words come with that background, not just this one incident. And honestly, I'm not judging CC as a whole based on that kid's mistake. But you act like actions should carry no associated consequences. Like it or not, perception is reality from the outside. If the coach at Charles City wants that perception to improve, he can tighten the reigns.

I agree to a point, but I will say its hard to coach teams with low numbers, because you have kids that don t want to be there to begin with, playing just so their buddy can have a football team. You try and discipline them and they threaten to quit. Throwing the whole program in jeopardy. It sucks.

Very true, that makes sense. How do you discipline kids when there's not enough program buy-in? Very difficult.

So is the CC coach just a pushover or are the kids just that undisciplined in general?

Being someone who personally knows Coach Greene from CC he is former military and always fields a very disciplined, well prepared and hard nosed team even if its only 17 of them. As someone who has coached against "Sarge" Greene I have nothing but the utmost respect for the discipline that the Charles City kids have.

Being someone who personally knows Coach Greene from CC he is former military and always fields a very disciplined, well prepared and hard nosed team even if its only 17 of them. As someone who has coached against "Sarge" Greene I have nothing but the utmost respect for the discipline that the Charles City kids have.

Can't understand giving the "utmost respect" for a kid's discipline when he gives his opponent the middle finger, but I appreciate the rest of your post.

I read about your post earlier. It is becoming similar to smaller communities to lose programs. King & Queen just didn't have enough bodies to field a team anymore. From my understanding they do have enough for a junior varsity team, but a varsity team will not be fielded for the remainder of the year.

Hatteras is similar to what Charles City is becoming; a retirement community. As an older population enters, younger families are moving away from the community. Charles City still doesn't have any type of true development nor business and it's attracting the older families.

How is this affecting the school? The same way it has for Hatteras. A perfect example is the girls' volleyball season. The program returned three years ago with promise, but after graduating 10 players from last year's team, it literally started with only four players. The coach said they kept looking for just girls' to put on the court and for a long time they had to postpone games instead of the program folding for the year. They were finally able to get nine, but there has maybe been one or two practices where all of them have been there.

Unfortunately this trend was started to be seen last year, as Charles City's softball team folded during the season. I'm afraid there may be a similar instance this year for not only girls' softball, but also co-ed soccer. That's a wait and see situation as far as spring sports, but at least two students who played those sports last year is going to play another spring sport because they want to win.

So there are issues on all sides that affect students. I could probably write a book being that I have coached and covered the community news wise for several years. It's far from over but all you can do is pray for the community, the parents, and the kids.

I know that the Tidewater district, in other sports besides football, has offered to allow those teams in sports such as volleyball and soccer (where they aren't competitive) to play a JV schedule with upperclassmen on their teams until they could better compete at a varsity level. However, they refused to take up the offer instead fielding varsity programs that often don't finish the season.

Can't understand giving the "utmost respect" for a kid's discipline when he gives his opponent the middle finger, but I appreciate the rest of your post.

Well from what I can understand it was out of frustration. Definitely not making excuses for it but it says something about adults in the situation to be up big and still throwing the ball. But that neither here nor there. But you played at West Point I'm sure you know a thing or two about lopsided scores (not a personal attack just facts). Imagine you were that teenager and someone is still throwing on you up big. And before I have everyone in King William County up in arms I have nothing personal against King William or West Point

No offense taken. I actually played during a successful stretch at WP but there have been long stretches of futility. I just think you gotta have enough composure to not do that or you shouldn't be allowed onto the field. But I also have never led or been on a team barely big enough to compete.

If Charles City would show more interest in the athletics they would do better. Hire real coaches for a change and create a culture that would attract kids to want to play. Seems like all of the good qualified people who showed interest in coaching and bringing change which has been needed for the past 10-15 years was pushed away. It starts at the rec program which there isn't one to develop the kids of the community. PROGRAMS win TEAMS that start practicing in august are really never successful. If Greene was coaching anywhere else he would have been fired. Check his W/L Record

If Charles City would show more interest in the athletics they would do better. Hire real coaches for a change and create a culture that would attract kids to want to play. Seems like all of the good qualified people who showed interest in coaching and bringing change which has been needed for the past 10-15 years was pushed away. It starts at the rec program which there isn't one to develop the kids of the community. PROGRAMS win TEAMS that start practicing in august are really never successful. If Greene was coaching anywhere else he would have been fired. Check his W/L Record

Im interested Poob2009, who should they have hired instead of Greene? Who have they pushed away? It's easy to have all the answers from the outside

Reactions: poob2009
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT