ADVERTISEMENT

L Valley - GW Danville

Loudoun Valley is one good team, point blank. Jordan Miller is a beast. LV is a smart, hustling and hard nose team. They are worth watching. Officials had nothing to do with that loss. GW simply got out played.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Wow tht loss isn't stunning but the score though my god... what happened in the 2nd half?

LV just surgically executed on offense in the 3rd. They also pushed the ball hard and scored several easy buckets off transition and turnovers. In the 4th GW stopped playing D and just.started grabbing and fouling. Valley went 26-31 from the line. Valley played multiple zone defensive looks (2-3, 1-3-1, 1-2-2 trap, etc.) And GW couldn't solve it.

Yeah I just went back and watched the second half online. LV's PG, #10 & #11 had great chemistry together. As you said, several easy touch pass baskets just created by motion and penetration. Seemed like every GW offensive possession in the second half was such a challenge. They never got any easy baskets. I also think LV was really well coached and their PG does a great job at driving that offense. LV has crushed 2 athlete-centric teams now. Next they will get Jamestown who is a little less athlete heavy and much more discipline. Should be interesting next week in Richmond. Good luck to both teams.

Loudoun Valley is one good team, point blank. Jordan Miller is a beast. LV is a smart, hustling and hard nose team. They are worth watching. Officials had nothing to do with that loss. GW simply got out played.
GW was not ready. If you and I could point out what they needed to do to win, why couldn't the head honchos? LV exploited ALL of GW's weaknesses whereas GW did nothing. GW was bigger, faster and stronger but played with absolutely no heart (except Patrick Robinson and Amardius Jones those guys stepped up). LV beat the socks off of a team that's been to the state semi's 4 years straight! Hats off to Valley as that is one hell of a program, a machine! I'll say it 1000000 more times if I have to, GW needs to take a long hard look at its basketball program. 4 state semi trips is a good accomplishment, but going and getting your tail whipped in 3 out of your 4 trips and you were not prepared for any of the four? Danville can do better than that!

Yeah I just went back and watched the second half online. LV's PG, #10 & #11 had great chemistry together. As you said, several easy touch pass baskets just created by motion and penetration. Seemed like every GW offensive possession in the second half was such a challenge. They never got any easy baskets. I also think LV was really well coached and their PG does a great job at driving that offense. LV has crushed 2 athlete-centric teams now. Next they will get Jamestown who is a little less athlete heavy and much more discipline. Should be interesting next week in Richmond. Good luck to both teams.
The thing with Valley and Jamestown is they both have great tendencies. No one on one garbage ball, smart passes, and must I say, Jamestown pass and cut game is the best I've seen at the high school level. You can tell that both teams has been playing with each other for a long time and they don't deal with that AAU bs but a lot of team camps. I'm very very very very impressed with #20 Ryan Jones from Jamestown and #15 (6'5 black kid). I'm interested in the Wang twins vs Nick Ball/#10 matchups. #23 for Jamestown is a solid big man, very smooth and smart (very high basketball IQ) and Miller will be a great matchup as well. For what #23 lacks in athleticism, he makes up for it with his IQ. Should be a great game!

The thing with Valley and Jamestown is they both have great tendencies. No one on one garbage ball, smart passes, and must I say, Jamestown pass and cut game is the best I've seen at the high school level. You can tell that both teams has been playing with each other for a long time and they don't deal with that AAU bs but a lot of team camps. I'm very very very very impressed with #20 Ryan Jones from Jamestown and #15 (6'5 black kid). I'm interested in the Wang twins vs Nick Ball/#10 matchups. #23 for Jamestown is a solid big man, very smooth and smart (very high basketball IQ) and Miller will be a great matchup as well. For what #23 lacks in athleticism, he makes up for it with his IQ. Should be a great game!

Only saw Jamestown for the first time yesterday but was impressed with the sharpness with which they moved the ball. Very sound and swing the ball well. Will be interesting to see how LV's length and ability to switch up/extend the defense will affect their ability to move the ball. Was probably most impressed with #23's footwork/post presence inside. Multiple times in first half he posted, and when fronted, they swung the ball, he sealed and was rewarded with easy layup. Rare to see that in high school.

One concern for Jamestown would be Valley's ability to push the pace. Think they played their starters a ton of minutes last night and not sure they'll be able to keep up with Valley for 32 in that way, but neither team is very deep and both love to run. Funny because it's exact opposite matchup for Valley as Jamestown doesn't pass the "eye test" but they are so solid vs. GW who had athletes coming from everywhere and couldn't get anything done. Jamestown will HAVE to put a body on Miller inside because he probably had double-double based only on offensive boards and put backs last night. If just one kid from GW had said "I'm only going to worry about boxing Miller out," could've been a different game.

LV has a ton of chemistry that actually is honed through majority of their players playing AAU together, but it's not run in a typical AAU program fashion. Disciplined coaching, focus on fundamentals, but their guys play together year round and have for years.

Should be a fun one.

Contrasting styles. It should be worth the $10 admission indeed. Both programs looked well polished.

I expected better from GW. I don't want to hear about officiating because GW had all the chance in the world to win. Killed on the boards and piss poor execution. Cmon GW!!
The only difference between last night and other games this year was GW played a team with a combination of athleticism, basketball IQ and coaching that could counteract the only way GW knows how to play. I do not believe it had anything to do with officiating. As far as 4 trips to the semis goes GW can get there pretty much every year in 4A on athleticism but, there is going to come a time somewhere in the semis or finals where coaching has to involve more than rolling the ball out on the floor and telling the guys to go play or you get the same result year after year. LV and Jamestown will be an interesting game and probably much more competitive than LV/GW because the Jamestown team will be better prepared to adjust in game to changes in style of play.

The only difference between last night and other games this year was GW played a team with a combination of athleticism, basketball IQ and coaching that could counteract the only way GW knows how to play. I do not believe it had anything to do with officiating. As far as 4 trips to the semis goes GW can get there pretty much every year in 4A on athleticism but, there is going to come a time somewhere in the semis or finals where coaching has to involve more than rolling the ball out on the floor and telling the guys to go play or you get the same result year after year. LV and Jamestown will be an interesting game and probably much more competitive than LV/GW because the Jamestown team will be better prepared to adjust in game to changes in style of play.

Yeah. GW definitely passes the eye test walking into the gym. Last year when they came to LV in regionals it was the same story. They looked the part but seemed completely unable to adjust with any sort of discipline during the game. They've definitely got some dudes though.

I know this is silly, but it amazes me that Jamestown can be so incredibly poor at football, and have one of the best teams in the state in basketball!

His name is diamante brown

I know this is silly, but it amazes me that Jamestown can be so incredibly poor at football, and have one of the best teams in the state in basketball!
Eye test wise, their basketball team looks like a middle school team except #15 and #23 but those guys are ballers! Very skilled and very smart. Surprised they didn't go deeper in their bench. Everybody on that team can light it up from 3.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
D. Brown was very good. I was impressed with Jamestown. Lil PG was equally good. They mos def have shooters on the team.

Their tennis, swimming, golf and baseball teams are all usually pretty stout also.

You are all right about the eye test. Jamestown doesn't look like they would be any good. But they are discipline and they know who they are. They have to play together as a cohesive unit to win so they are used to playing that way.

I said it before, IMO the east is down this year. I am taking LV in this one, although I will be rooting for Jamestown.

I got Jamestown in this one. It'll be close but I recall hearing about how Jamestown went up against the best of the best in the 757 and 804 in Boo Williams in the Fall League. They have all of the intangibles. They lost by 1 to Bethel in the regular season (who's probably the most athletic 5a team in the state and has 3 D1 players on their team). It'll be a methodical win either way. GREAT basketball.

Some fans in the stands were saying the officiating was.. GW got beat... BAD! That program needs to take a long hard look at its basketball program.

It starts with the coach, IMHO. As the above poster said, we have good athletes but at some point you are going to need good coaching at this level. I went to their game in the semis last year and the reason GW lost was 100% coaching. Parson needs to go...that's all I have.

It starts with the coach, IMHO. As the above poster said, we have good athletes but at some point you are going to need good coaching at this level. I went to their game in the semis last year and the reason GW lost was 100% coaching. Parson needs to go...that's all I have.
I've been following GW sports my whole life. Been to many games, seen many talented players come and go. This season was one of most disappointing years since I started watching them in 2000. In years past when we were Triple A, we had to beat the Booker Ts, the Petersburgs, the Kings Forks, the Potomacs... When GW moved down to 4a in 2013 (which is equivalent to the old Double A) a lot of people around this area talked of how many championships GW would produce...........................Anyway, I don't even hear of talk of championships anymore around here. It's almost if the players are content winning the Piedmont and conference. I just don't get it. I love what Coach Anderson is doing with the football program. He's a good man and he's going to bring the city of Danville a state championship soon. For basketball, GW needs to bring in a young disciplinarian to hold these young men accountable and also have them ready for battle. Since 2005, GW's basketball program should have at least 4-5 state championships (01,02,06, (won't even put 07 on here cause not even the 92 Dream Team could beat Highland Springs that year LOL) 08,09,13, 14, 16 and this year IMO). The city deserves a lot better. Parsons is a great man. A man of integrity and he cares for the kids, however he is not the man to lead GW to the big game.

Last edited:
We've had ZERO championships since 1998, haven't won anything in football since 82. In a city with all of this talent that has to disturb because it darn sure disturbs me. Our middle school programs and JV programs are some of the best teams at their level in the state. Our kids need to continue to develop and have the coaching that will put them in the best position to become better athletes and better young men. I'm hopeful we can get a new coach that can lead this incoming pool of talent. These kids we have coming from Bonner and Westwood and the JV teams??? Maaaan, We're blessed to have such athletes! We just need a coach to put them in winning situations.

Last edited:
I feel bad for coaches who get bashed. I often wonder during the off season are these people who are bashing the coaches approach them respectfully with ideas to help the coach and the program. too many times people are in the stands trying to live their live through the kids on the court/field. High school sports are not all about championships. Imagine where some of these kids would be if they were not involved in after school activities. a good coach isn't all about X's and O's but also about making sure the young men/women they coach are student-athletes who are developing on and off the court. These coaches donate so much of their time and deal with so much. God bless the coaches who give so much and get back so little in return.

Reactions: AntGZee
I feel bad for coaches who get bashed. I often wonder during the off season are these people who are bashing the coaches approach them respectfully with ideas to help the coach and the program. too many times people are in the stands trying to live their live through the kids on the court/field. High school sports are not all about championships. Imagine where some of these kids would be if they were not involved in after school activities. a good coach isn't all about X's and O's but also about making sure the young men/women they coach are student-athletes who are developing on and off the court. These coaches donate so much of their time and deal with so much. God bless the coaches who give so much and get back so little in return.
You may be right from a politically correct standpoint, however with certain programs, there are high standards to be upheld. GW is one of those programs. When you've had all of the talent GW has had and have not won anything, something is wrong. They should be Lake Taylor "West" in 4a. The difference between GW and LT?? Coaching. If they are happy with mediocrity then so be it. As a GW supporter I'm tired of seeing these kids get set up for failure.

Reactions: AntGZee
@DanvilleSportsHead, you are right there is a higher standard for G.W. athletics compared to other high schools in the state and I would say that Coach Parson has lived up to that. Taking a team to the final 4 for 4 straight years is a big feat. Having ever one of your seniors go to college or to the military for 4 straight years is a big feat. You are right about championships they have not come but the kids have changed their perspective from just playing basketball to what is next for me is to go to college to better myself. The the whole idea of a successful basketball program is show kids whats out there and to develop young men minds and to have them think about what lies ahead for their future. We often forget about all the talent that came under Coach Johnson tutor ledge and he only won it one time and only went to two final fours. However, how many boys became men and graduate from college or use what was taught from him to have better lives. I played for G.W. and was one of those players that felt like we should have won a championship in 94 but didn't and we had all the core guys on 96 team on that team. It was not because of the coaches but because some of my team mates made mistake off the court that cost us. You never know what is going on behind the scenes in any program unless you are there on a daily basis. The fans only see what the players do on the court and not what you do to prepare them before the game. I will ask you how many times have you went to a practice or donated your time to help the kids go to camps or worked with kids during the summer and during the fall when you know your are not get paid for it. Took time from your family during Thanksgiving or Christmas to work with these young men when you have kids and a family of your own. These are the things that Coach Parson did with the kids at G.W. to try to get them to 4 state semi-finals games. Look around the state how many programs can say that they did that, only a very select few can. I appreciate the support that you give to G.W. athletics as I do the same but at the end of the day if you are a true G.W. family member you ask what can you do for the program to help instead looking for the quick fix. Which we both know may not be the answer. Look at how many coaches that have tried to take Coach Johnson place since he has left and have failed. The grass is not always greener on the other side brother. I was there when ever complained about Coach Johnson and wanted someone else but no one has duplicated his success since he has left and has up held that standard of competitiveness since. So think hard before you make comments unless you are willing to put your time in and help out.

@DanvilleSportsHead, you are right there is a higher standard for G.W. athletics compared to other high schools in the state and I would say that Coach Parson has lived up to that. Taking a team to the final 4 for 4 straight years is a big feat. Having ever one of your seniors go to college or to the military for 4 straight years is a big feat. You are right about championships they have not come but the kids have changed their perspective from just playing basketball to what is next for me is to go to college to better myself. The the whole idea of a successful basketball program is show kids whats out there and to develop young men minds and to have them think about what lies ahead for their future. We often forget about all the talent that came under Coach Johnson tutor ledge and he only won it one time and only went to two final fours. However, how many boys became men and graduate from college or use what was taught from him to have better lives. I played for G.W. and was one of those players that felt like we should have won a championship in 94 but didn't and we had all the core guys on 96 team on that team. It was not because of the coaches but because some of my team mates made mistake off the court that cost us. You never know what is going on behind the scenes in any program unless you are there on a daily basis. The fans only see what the players do on the court and not what you do to prepare them before the game. I will ask you how many times have you went to a practice or donated your time to help the kids go to camps or worked with kids during the summer and during the fall when you know your are not get paid for it. Took time from your family during Thanksgiving or Christmas to work with these young men when you have kids and a family of your own. These are the things that Coach Parson did with the kids at G.W. to try to get them to 4 state semi-finals games. Look around the state how many programs can say that they did that, only a very select few can. I appreciate the support that you give to G.W. athletics as I do the same but at the end of the day if you are a true G.W. family member you ask what can you do for the program to help instead looking for the quick fix. Which we both know may not be the answer. Look at how many coaches that have tried to take Coach Johnson place since he has left and have failed. The grass is not always greener on the other side brother. I was there when ever complained about Coach Johnson and wanted someone else but no one has duplicated his success since he has left and has up held that standard of competitiveness since. So think hard before you make comments unless you are willing to put your time in and help out.
You are correct Coach. I am an educator myself so I understand the time aspect of things. I never said that I wanted Parsons out, however I think that GW needs to take a long hard look at their basketball program as I did say that maybe he isn't the man to take them to the big game but also do better scheduling quality opponents (which you guys did this year), and sending these guys to elite team camps in the summer (only 2 players played football so it would've been helpful to the players instead of that AAU junk). You and I know that the past 2 GW teams had the talent to compete with ANYONE in the state. 4a, 5a, 6a didn't matter. I've watched the Antonio Fitzgerald's, Bradford DeShazor's, the Jello's, the J.C.'s, the Ridge's, the Terrance Townes', the Stevie Cole's, the Ahmad Thomas', Jarrod Williams', the JaMarcus Hairston's, the Thug's, The PATRICK ROBINSON's.. In the past 18 years, we've had some of the best players in the state of Virginia year in and year out. The only difference is, the guys we have now doesn't nearly play the talent you, Nate Poole, Charles Stephens, Coach Morrison, Ridge, T.O. and others played against. It was 3 champions (Single A, Double A and Triple A) back then and you guys played at the absolute highest level! Now there's SIX CHAMPIONS!!! And GW isn't one of the 6 champs year in and year out??? Brother you and I both know that we are better than that! I will keep it professional when I say that this year was another disappointment as we should have been the 2017 4a champs, repeating actually. Definitely should've won it in 2014 with Thug, Boo Man and JaMarcus and in 13 (the last Triple A championship) when we had all of that talent. I just think our guys are being sold short not by the coaches ( I mean who coaches to lose??) but by the administration. I mean we have probably the best talent pool I've seen in a while coming up out of Westwood and Bonner and our undefeated JV team next year. We have great young men in our program but we should be adding trophies yearly. We are much better than these results!!!!!!! Parsons is a great man. I said it in previous posts here but for some reasons these kids just haven't responded well.. With Coach Martin or Parsons. I just don't understand it.

Last edited:
You are correct Coach. I am an educator myself so I understand the time aspect of things. I never said that I wanted Parsons out, however I think that GW needs to take a long hard look at their basketball program as I did say that maybe he isn't the man to take them to the big game but also do better scheduling quality opponents (which you guys did this year), and sending these guys to elite team camps in the summer (only 2 players played football so it would've been helpful to the players instead of that AAU junk). You and I know that the past 2 GW teams had the talent to compete with ANYONE in the state. 4a, 5a, 6a didn't matter. I've watched the Antonio Fitzgerald's, Bradford DeShazor's, the Jello's, the J.C.'s, the Ridge's, the Terrance Townes', the Stevie Cole's, the Ahmad Thomas', Jarrod Williams', the JaMarcus Hairston's, the Thug's, The PATRICK ROBINSON's.. In the past 18 years, we've had some of the best players in the state of Virginia year in and year out. The only difference is, the guys we have now doesn't nearly play the talent you, Nate Poole, Charles Stephens, Coach Morrison, Ridge, T.O. and others played against. It was 3 champions (Single A, Double A and Triple A) back then and you guys played at the absolute highest level! Now there's SIX CHAMPIONS!!! And GW isn't one of the 6 champs year in and year out??? Brother you and I both know that we are better than that! I will keep it professional when I say that this year was another disappointment as we should have been the 2017 4a champs, repeating actually. Definitely should've won it in 2014 with Thug, Boo Man and JaMarcus and in 13 (the last Triple A championship) when we had all of that talent. I just think our guys are being sold short not by the coaches ( I mean who coaches to lose??) but by the administration. I mean we have probably the best talent pool I've seen in a while coming up out of Westwood and Bonner and our undefeated JV team next year. We have great young men in our program but we should be adding trophies yearly. We are much better than these results!!!!!!! Parsons is a great man. I said it in previous posts here but for some reasons these kids just haven't responded well.. With Coach Martin or Parsons. I just don't understand it.

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw. If GW was closer to Richmond and Tidewater, they could schedule better opponents, but those teams have to want to play them. Some coaches are like old John Thompson (cupcake city). I preferred Denny Crum, he would play you anywhere any time. Those teams might not like GW beating up on them.

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw. If GW was closer to Richmond and Tidewater, they could schedule better opponents, but those teams have to want to play them. Some coaches are like old John Thompson (cupcake city). I preferred Denny Crum, he would play you anywhere any time. Those teams might not like GW beating up on them.
I agree with everything you said although I will add that GW is close enough to power programs in North Carolina to be able to make a really good schedule. Dudley, Page West Forsyth, Mt. Tabor, Eastern Alamance, Garner, Smith, Hillside (Durham), Winston Salem Prep, and Greensboro Day are all 60 minutes rides from Danville and are elite programs that the Eagles could play. We have the talent in Danville to compete with whoever.

@DanvilleSportsHead you are right about the scheduling of North Carolina teams however they can not schedule North Carolina teams because DPS will not let them take the bus across state lines. So that eliminates the teams like Dudley, Page, Wesleyan Christian, High Point Christian, Winston Salem Prep. The program do not have the money to afford Charter Bus like they did when I played. People want the same results from the 90's and early 2000's but the funds aren't there. GW had 2 games on friday at home this year. That was in Dec. against Franklin Co. and Heritage you can not make money with weak teams on Tuesday. So the program is actually losing money instead making money. That affects the amount of money the booster club makes which affects what you have for summer camp.

@DanvilleSportsHead you are right about the scheduling of North Carolina teams however they can not schedule North Carolina teams because DPS will not let them take the bus across state lines. So that eliminates the teams like Dudley, Page, Wesleyan Christian, High Point Christian, Winston Salem Prep. The program do not have the money to afford Charter Bus like they did when I played. People want the same results from the 90's and early 2000's but the funds aren't there. GW had 2 games on friday at home this year. That was in Dec. against Franklin Co. and Heritage you can not make money with weak teams on Tuesday. So the program is actually losing money instead making money. That affects the amount of money the booster club makes which affects what you have for summer camp.
Understandable. DPS is in shambles IMO. They do absolutely nothing to help support GW's athletic programs. They've been talking about getting the field turf and a new track for I know at least 9 years and hasn't made any type of moves. The Football booster club rents a charter bus to go to Tunstall for crying out loud and basketball can't even get the same in return.

Not scheduling NC schools is more of NC schools not wanting to go out of state.
Way back when in 74 Tic Price and the rest of us went to Durham and Hillside. We beat Durham who had Marshall Alford. We got ripped off in the last minute at Hillside. Out of state games intail more officiated risk.

You guys have identified the symptoms but, danced around the problem. The problem is the leadership, or more accurately the lack thereof, provided by the school board, superintendent, and central administration and tacitly condoned by City Council and residents who do not demand accountability in the system. Restaurants and downtown housing are just lipstick on a pig if schools are not up to standard, infrastructure is deteriorating and crime is unchallenged (at least until the state steps in). Danville's problems didn't materialize overnight nor will they be fixed overnight but, the process cannot begin until people in leadership are willing to admit there is one and commit to exploring realistic solutions.

Cutnjump makes a great point. Your school system admin has to back and support their athletic teams. Build or update facilities before they start falling down around your heads. Problem now is the amount of money for education coming from the State. On Federal level funding is crazy and more responsibility is getting dropped on the State to support. Athletics are going to be in trouble for awhile in my eyes. Hope I am wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT