ADVERTISEMENT

Lady Gladiators Survive S-E-C-O-N-D Altavista Road Trip!

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Last week we had a spirited discussion about how unfair and illogical it seemed that the 1-A East Region teams in girls' volleyball were simply re-seeded after their conference playoffs without any consideration given to who had won the four conference tournaments. Thanks to those of you who understood and agreed with my position on the subject.

As a result of that questionable re-seeding, Altavista was awarded the number two overall seed for this week's regional playoffs, even though they had lost their conference final at home to Riverheads, and the Gladiators were seeded number three. Even stranger, Altavista's higher-than-deserved seed meant that somebody actually WON a conference tournament but was sent on the road this week. (I didn't check into what team that may have been and how their story ended.)

Anyway, to update you on that story, Riverheads and Altavista each won their quarterfinals at home on Tuesday, which sent RHS on the long trip down Rt. 29 again tonight. Well I am happy to report that the Gladiators survived that trip and defeated the Lady Colonels a second time. However, "survived" is apparently an accurate word because it sounds like it was quite the intense affair.

I didn't go, but many thanks to Gladiator 01 and his family for keeping me constantly updated. As I understand it, Altavista won the first set 25-18 and RHS came back to even things with an overtime win (27-25 I think it was.) Altavista then took the usually crucial third set, also in overtime (28-26 I think), putting the Lady Gladiators on the brink of elimination.

However, the Big Red reached back for that something extra to win the fourth set 25-18 and then dominated the final set 15-5. I kind of gather from those scores that the difference could have been in conditioning, depth, or stamina. Maybe RHS hit its stride late whereas Altavista may have worn down?

So anyway, I am sure the Altavista ladies wanted the win as much as Riverheads did, but you cannot dispute the fact that they should not have been allowed to host again this week, especially since it meant that more deserving teams who had proven themselves on the court were made to travel.

Riverheads will now host Mathews for the regional final Saturday (I understand at 5:00) and both teams will advance to next week's state playoffs. I almost hope that Mathews was that team that won its conference and was sent on the road so that we can have double the satisfaction that the right teams are advancing.

Again no offense to the Altavista team or their fans, but somebody dropped the ball in the organization of this particular set of playoffs and I hope steps will be taken to make future playoffs follow a more logical pattern for pairing the teams.

I did finally check and yes, it does appear that Mathews won its conference title last week and was "rewarded" with a number 5 seed out of 8 teams. They were sent first to number 4 Cumberland on Tuesday and tonight beat the number 1 seed Rappahannock County on its home court. So by the time they leave Riverheads on Saturday night, they will have seen more of the state than they probably wanted to!

thanks longtimerhsfan for the update.

To add to the confusion: Northumberland was seeded #8 (last place) Had to travel to #1 Rapp Co in 1st game.

The Northumberland Volleyball team defeated Mathews and Rapp County this season (also, their only losses were against Mathews and Rapp Co.) Rapp Co went 20-2 this season (only losses were to Northumberland and Mathews). Rapp Co defeated all those big schools in the Bull Run (2A,3A, 4A). Rapp Co was really good and deserved #1 seed.

NHS won the old NND (went undefeated) in a very tough race between the Northumberland, Essex, and W&L. W&L won their 2A conference tournament was (had finished 3rd in NND).

Good luck to Riverheads and Mathews! I hope one wins states!

Really tough to understand going 20 - 2 in regular season (losing to 1A Northumberland and 3/4A Poquoson) in regular season and being a 5 seed in regionals?

Welcome to Single A Conference 44. It's been seeded that way I think this might be the third straight year it's been that way. Essex won their conference tournament last year in basketball and had to travel to Altavista as the 8 seed in the first round of regionals. Don't be surprised if it doesn't happen again come the winter!

They need to figure this one out.
Take conference champs, put them on the top of the bracket, seed them by reg season. Then have conference runners up in the bottom half, seeded by reg season. This would at least get the teams that just won the home court advantage leading into the next week.

Didn't at one point in time they determine seeding like this
reg season and tournament champ
reg season champ
tournament champ
regular season runner up
regular seson third place
tournament runner up
and so on

That was up to couple of years ago Goat, did away with that I guess (made too much sense). Makes it hard now with conferences.......we don't even play everyone in our conference during regular season so I cant understand how they determine seeding. Regular season power points = penalized for playing a tougher schedule. In Conf 42, everyone around us is 1A, we travel over 1 hour to play 2 - 4A teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT