ADVERTISEMENT

Lafayette question?

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Does Lafayette have their own field. Or do they play at the Sports Complex where Jamestown plays?

Warriner Field. I don't know where exactly it is located.

Yeah, that's the Sports Complex. Impressive place. Money, money, money. Not an intimate old place by any stretch, but makes up for it with modern amenities. Probably the neatest thing is the fence at one end is literally along the back line of the end zone. Very up close and personal vantage point for plays at that end.

Yeah, that's the Sports Complex. Impressive place. Money, money, money. Not an intimate old place by any stretch, but makes up for it with modern amenities. Probably the neatest thing is the fence at one end is literally along the back line of the end zone. Very up close and personal vantage point for plays at that end.
They play their games at the stadium behind Warhill High School

??? OCBoy, that is The Warhill Sports Complex I'm speaking of. Warriner Field is the football field. I know Jamestown also plays there. I guess they have to carefully schedule the games to not have an "Oh S!%t" moment.

??? OCBoy, that is The Warhill Sports Complex I'm speaking of. Warriner Field is the football field. I know Jamestown also plays there. I guess they have to carefully schedule the games to not have an "Oh S!%t" moment.

Many schools in Tidewater use the same stadium especially north of Hampton Roads which leads to crazy scheduling and has been this way since at least the 1980's for the first three stadiums

York, Tabb and Grafton all share Bailey Field and all are in the same district
Hampton, Kecoughtan, Phoebus and Bethel all share Darling Stadium and all are in the same district
Denbigh, Menchville, Woodside, Heritage, and Warwick all share Todd Stadium and all are in the same district.
Warhill and Lafayette share Warriner Stadium and all are in the same district.

Many schools in Tidewater use the same stadium especially north of Hampton Roads which leads to crazy scheduling and has been this way since at least the 1980's for the first three stadiums

York, Tabb and Grafton all share Bailey Field and all are in the same district
Hampton, Kecoughtan, Phoebus and Bethel all share Darling Stadium and all are in the same district
Denbigh, Menchville, Woodside, Heritage, and Warwick all share Todd Stadium and all are in the same district.
Warhill and Lafayette share Warriner Stadium and all are in the same district.
There is nothing like Cooley Field. Lafayette had some good games on that field.

Cooley Field must have been before my awareness. But I know how you feel. I realize economics dictate joint use facilities, but I think you lose something. I don't know what to call that "something", but I know it when I experience it. I will call it "protecting your house", for the lack of a better term.

During my high school years in Petersburg we, and we alone, had historic Cameron Field. Since that time it has been the Generals football field. Call me silly, I don't like the idea of sharing a football field. I even get miffed watching the soccer team use the football field. I'll tolerate the track team, but I better not see them stepping on the grass. Grrrrrrr!

I will admit, when I think of Hampton or Phoebus, Darling Stadium is what comes to mind for both. It sure as heck didn't seem to affect those two teams over the years.

Back to Lafayette/Jamestown. They may share a football stadium, but I don't think they exchange Valentines cards. Last season when Dinwiddie played Jamestown at the Sports Complex, Lafayette must have had their bye week. I think the entire Lafayette team was in the stands..., on the Dinwiddie side. And they sure as heck weren't cheering for Jamestown. In fact, they were pretty vocal for Dinwiddie, and against Jamestown.

Cooley Field must have been before my awareness. But I know how you feel. I realize economics dictate joint use facilities, but I think you lose something. I don't know what to call that "something", but I know it when I experience it. I will call it "protecting your house", for the lack of a better term.

During my high school years in Petersburg we, and we alone, had historic Cameron Field. Since that time it has been the Generals football field. Call me silly, I don't like the idea of sharing a football field. I even get miffed watching the soccer team use the football field. I'll tolerate the track team, but I better not see them stepping on the grass. Grrrrrrr!

I will admit, when I think of Hampton or Phoebus, Darling Stadium is what comes to mind for both. It sure as heck didn't seem to affect those two teams over the years.

Back to Lafayette/Jamestown. They may share a football stadium, but I don't think they exchange Valentines cards. Last season when Dinwiddie played Jamestown at the Sports Complex, Lafayette must have had their bye week. I think the entire Lafayette team was in the stands..., on the Dinwiddie side. And they sure as heck weren't cheering for Jamestown. In fact, they were pretty vocal for Dinwiddie, and against Jamestown.

I think that having a home stadium is a bigger deal for fans than for players. In a way, playing in a stadium can be an advantage in that travelling for away games is no big deal.

I think that having a home stadium is a bigger deal for fans than for players. In a way, playing in a stadium can be an advantage in that travelling for away games is no big deal.
I can't disagree that it's important for the fans. There is a comfort having your same seats, around the same parents and fans. Often, this is the only time you to greet some of these folks, and often for just a few times each year.

There is usually a lot of information exchanged about the players and what has transpired during the week. It is definitely a bonding type of experience. I love it.

I think many want to say home field means little. I just can't agree with that contention. I just believe that the familiar surroundings aide the pre-game mental and physical preparation. They follow a comfortable routine, at a relaxed and measured pace. They break THIER OWN locker room to the cheers of the usual vocal crowd, accompanied by the usual pre-game sights and sounds. Minimal disruption to their focus on what lies ahead.

Say what you want, I believe homefield is a good and positive thing. And an advantage!

Reactions: mike salem
I can't disagree that it's important for the fans. There is a comfort having your same seats, around the same parents and fans. Often, this is the only time you to greet some of these folks, and often for just a few times each year.

There is usually a lot of information exchanged about the players and what has transpired during the week. It is definitely a bonding type of experience. I love it.

I think many want to say home field means little. I just can't agree with that contention. I just believe that the familiar surroundings aide the pre-game mental and physical preparation. They follow a comfortable routine, at a relaxed and measured pace. They break THIER OWN locker room to the cheers of the usual vocal crowd, accompanied by the usual pre-game sights and sounds. Minimal disruption to their focus on what lies ahead.

Say what you want, I believe homefield is a good and positive thing. And an advantage!

But teams that play at city stadiums have a routine, too and the pace is relaxed. It's just that the routine involves a short bus ride. The sights, sounds, crowd noise? They have them. Look, it's not as though they play at a different random stadium every week. The only thing is that the stadium isn't on campus.

You are probably right. If they are prepared right, it should make no difference when or where they play.

I just like having a "home" all to myself. I'm old fashion, remember!

The first year Wanner Stadium was open for business, Smithfield played - I want to say Jamestown - in an absolute monsoon of a tropical storm. It rained and rained and rained and then it rained some more. That field never once showed a sign of a puddle anywhere. Amazing facility. Lafayette, Jamestown and Warhill will have an occasional Thursday night game because of the scheduling difficulties, I believe the JV teams still use Cooley when needed. Cooley was a GREAT venue to play at, seating was all up on the field, crowd was loud. Good stuff. Turf was always A+ condition also.

L
Does Lafayette have their own field. Or do they play at the Sports Complex where Jamestown plays?
Lafayette plays at the County field which also is home to Jamestown and Warhill. Great facility but the sharing prohibits your own logo on the field and can force some Saturday games. My first post this year, back in Div 4 as in the past. Have three Div 1 signees so this year should be very good. Word was between 50-60 players were in the summer weight program and intensity at the first practices is higher than last year. Only a broken wrist to starting QB in playoffs held them back!

Welcome back. I'm coming down for your game with Smithfield. I hope we can meet up and talk a few minutes?

Glad to meet you then. Game is at Warner Stadium in Williamsburg. Tough for Smithfield to lose rb that was tops in the district.

We'll..., I don't think it might be as big of a loss as it appears. Let's leave it at that.

I might have to split loyalties. I know you on the Lafayette side, and I have a buddy on the Smithfield side. Maybe I should just go to mid field, jump up and down hollering, until they take me away in restraints.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT