ADVERTISEMENT

Lake Taylor kick.

pcken

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 6, 2006
Just watched it on the news. Camera was right under the goal post. First of all the kick was no where close to being short. It had plenty of height. It was so lose it looked good. If it missed it wasn't a foot wide left. Certainly would have been good on a high school field without question.

The Channel 10 angle was from the side and it was clearly wide left because it blocked out the yellow when it passed the upright. It was at least 6 feet over the cross bar however. Couldn't tell from the angle how much wide left it was but didn't look like much. Watched it back and forth in slowmo about 6 times.

They should review it and transpose regular high school goal posts and see if it is good. If it is, LT should be declared the winner.

Shabutie really just like Miami should of been declared the winner. The game is played on the field simply put not in a judge or jury desk

Reactions: VolNation85
12347600_10153847854558478_994193593326910066_n.jpg

Salem did not need bulletin board material to motivate their players... After watching tape, they knew the outcome would be a Championship!

Its not an issue, but it would make more since to play with same fg posts all season. If college venues are going to hold playoffs then high schools should move their posts in for good. I also wonder if division 4 will move sites? Most likely not but would be nice if sites rotated a little.

Its not an issue, but it would make more since to play with same fg posts all season. If college venues are going to hold playoffs then high schools should move their posts in for good. I also wonder if division 4 will move sites? Most likely not but would be nice if sites rotated a little.
I've noted the goalpost thing for at least 25 years now (Central Region used to play at UR stadium). I just figure coaches account for this when making decisions during the game. I watched the 6A championship and I kept thinking in the Overtimes that I wasn't sure I'd kick with the narrower goal posts, but they never missed, so it worked out.

Honestly looking from the picture the ball isn't by the goalpost yet. I would like to see the entire video where is the source of this video? aAlso can some please explain this excessive force penalty that was called last night I still don't get that. I've heard of the police using excessive force but on the football field? News to me.

Reactions: wikki
WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ? 2 WRONGS MAKE A RIGHT. Just watched the kick on tv and i also beleve it was good..Trying to compare the duke/miami game to a high school game is like comparing apples to oranges.What is right is right and if there is any camera angle which shows that the kick was good then Lake Taylor should be declared the state champion.Why in the world do you think all the sports have gone to repay.I will answer the quesrtion for you since you dont seem to have a clue,ITS TO MAKE SURE THE GAME IS PLAYED WITH INTEGRITY AND THE RIGHT CALL IS MADE..........

With all this talk about high school and NCAA goal posts, I was wondering if anyone knows the measurements for the posts at Salem Stadium? I ask because I know that Salem plays thier home games there but it is also used for the NCAA Division III championship game. The 1A and 2A championship games are played there too. I've been to Salem Stadium numerous times as a fan and a coach but have never payed much attention to the measurements of their goal post. Do they bring in new posts for the NCAA championship game? Just wondering?

Come on people. The kick was wide. That means it didn't go BETWEEN the uprights. Some seem not to understand this but that means the kick missed. You get no points for a missed kick.

Both teams played on the same field. The goal posts didn't magically get wider for the Salem kick.

For goodness sakes. It was a great game and Salem came out the victor. Leave it at that and stop with this insanity.

Honestly looking from the picture the ball isn't by the goalpost yet. I would like to see the entire video where is the source of this video? aAlso can some please explain this excessive force penalty that was called last night I still don't get that. I've heard of the police using excessive force but on the football field? News to me.
Rule 9-4-3 g

Rule 9-4-3 g
The revised rule now reads, “No player or non-player shall make any contact with an opponent, including a defenseless player, which is deemed unnecessary or excessive and which incites roughness.” It is not a rule for me to interpret, it's for the officials on the field. I know it's football. Part of football is dealing with the calls.

Bob Colgate, director of sports and sports medicine at the NFHS and editor of the NFHS football rules, noted that an example would be when a defensive player who is not in the vicinity of the ball is “blindsided” by a blocker on the offensive team.

With all this talk about high school and NCAA goal posts, I was wondering if anyone knows the measurements for the posts at Salem Stadium? I ask because I know that Salem plays thier home games there but it is also used for the NCAA Division III championship game. The 1A and 2A championship games are played there too. I've been to Salem Stadium numerous times as a fan and a coach but have never payed much attention to the measurements of their goal post. Do they bring in new posts for the NCAA championship game? Just wondering?
I think they do bring in new goal posts for the NCAA.

The revised rule now reads, “No player or non-player shall make any contact with an opponent, including a defenseless player, which is deemed unnecessary or excessive and which incites roughness.” It is not a rule for me to interpret, it's for the officials on the field. I know it's football. Part of football is dealing with the calls.

Bob Colgate, director of sports and sports medicine at the NFHS and editor of the NFHS football rules, noted that an example would be when a defensive player who is not in the vicinity of the ball is “blindsided” by a blocker on the offensive team.
Not in the vicinity? The block they called was on Ramsey who was trying to make the tackle.is what it is Salem played great we had our chances game over.

Reactions: MrSir#5
Not in the vicinity? The block they called was on Ramsey who was trying to make the tackle.is what it is Salem played great we had our chances game over.
Well the returner had already gotten past Ramsey and he was about five yards away from him.

Salem also beat Park View a few years back when they had a kick just miss by a few inches in the state title.

Yep, this was also mentioned during that game. I remember that thing sailing wide and people remarking on how it'd have been good in high school posts. Just how the cookie crumbles, I suppose.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't understand why this is an issue. Did somebody not inform Lake Taylor that they would be playing on a field using narrower, college goal posts?

Apparently, Salem knew, because they drilled that field goal to win the game.
Why did they need to be informed of anything? They played on the field last year.

Maybe they just should have taken the time to develop a kicker that could get it through the uprights from 20 yards. LT hadn't attempted a FG all season prior to yesterday (according to the Webcast guys, at least).

Why did they need to be informed of anything? They played on the field last year.

Maybe they just should have taken the time to develop a kicker that could get it through the uprights from 20 yards. LT hadn't attempted a FG all season prior to yesterday (according to the Webcast guys, at least).

Interestingly enough, this was also a problem for JF. They hadn't kicked one either, I believe, and if they had a capable kicker they could have put points on the board when they went 4th and goal inside the 10 twice and at worst forced Salem to change its thinking when it got the ball. As it was they got stuffed and Mags decided to just break them then and there and he did.

Salem hasn't kicked a ton of FGs this year either(only 7 or 8 I think) but much like last year when they scored a bunch, Mags still knew he had a kicker(they had a good one, too, he just didn't get many shots). Salem lost that benefit game against JF after leading 34-27 because Mags attempted 3 FGs instead of just going for it, something they likely would have been successful in, because he wanted to know what he had at kicker. Craft missed them all but it got him valuable reps and it certainly seemed to pay off.

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ? 2 WRONGS MAKE A RIGHT. Just watched the kick on tv and i also beleve it was good..Trying to compare the duke/miami game to a high school game is like comparing apples to oranges.What is right is right and if there is any camera angle which shows that the kick was good then Lake Taylor should be declared the state champion.Why in the world do you think all the sports have gone to repay.I will answer the quesrtion for you since you dont seem to have a clue,ITS TO MAKE SURE THE GAME IS PLAYED WITH INTEGRITY AND THE RIGHT CALL IS MADE..........
The kick wasn't good. In fact, it wasn't even that close.

Reactions: salemfan32
I didn't think that was a good call either, Devils. That being said, the two block in the backs were very obvious and the play was going to come back either way.

Interestingly enough, this was also a problem for JF. They hadn't kicked one either, I believe, and if they had a capable kicker they could have put points on the board when they went 4th and goal inside the 10 twice and at worst forced Salem to change its thinking when it got the ball. As it was they got stuffed and Mags decided to just break them then and there and he did.

Salem hasn't kicked a ton of FGs this year either(only 7 or 8 I think) but much like last year when they scored a bunch, Mags still knew he had a kicker(they had a good one, too, he just didn't get many shots). Salem lost that benefit game against JF after leading 34-27 because Mags attempted 3 FGs instead of just going for it, something they likely would have been successful in, because he wanted to know what he had at kicker. Craft missed them all but it got him valuable reps and it certainly seemed to pay off.
He missed 3 FG'S & an XP in that game. After that I think he might have missed 4 kicks total for the whole year! Awesome job by a Sophomore, great family.

Same goal post for both teams but he also should have went for it the second time instead of. TD
Yep, this was also mentioned during that game. I remember that thing sailing wide and people remarking on how it'd have been good in high school posts. Just how the cookie crumbles, I suppose.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just watched it on the news. Camera was right under the goal post. First of all the kick was no where close to being short. It had plenty of height. It was so lose it looked good. If it missed it wasn't a foot wide left. Certainly would have been good on a high school field without question.
Who cares PC ! Both teams played under same rules and if we were playing Pulaski and they had that opportunity the Pulaski coach would not make that excuse and 99.99 percent of time would have nailed it ! Ball Game !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT