ADVERTISEMENT

Lake Taylor kick.

I think they should switch out goal posts and use high school ones. This could be accomplished fairly easily.

I just got to see the video and its very easy to pause it while the ball is to the OUTSIDE of the upright....inches from hitting it

Reactions: VolNation85
Who cares PC ! Both teams played under same rules and if we were playing Pulaski and they had that opportunity the Pulaski coach would not make that excuse and 99.99 percent of time would have nailed it ! Ball Game !
I'm not making any excuses. Just saying if the game was played on a HS field with HS regulations then Lake Taylor would be State Champs.

I'm not making any excuses. Just saying if the game was played on a HS field with HS regulations then Lake Taylor would be State Champs.
That's true but the state championship has been played for years on college fields never been issue. Maybe contenders should prepare there kickers better. I know when amherst use to get big leads they would kick field goals instead of scoring to get kicker reps. An maybe high school should look at narrowing there's to prepare the kickers for next level.

Often times with really good teams, FGs do not matter much during regular season because they beat up on teams.
I recall a few years back Gretna was up 47-0 with less than 10 seconds to go in first half. Gretna sent in FG team and kicker hit a 50 yard FG. Other team accused Gretna of running up score.
FG kickers need lots of attempts.

Reactions: gwb16
I have seen a lot of high school football this season. I have also seen a lot of good/capable kickers, that struggled in game situations.It starts with the snap and hold, and the blocking. Most coaches don't have the time or are not willing to spend the time giving enough live reps in practice to be consistant. Especially if you have a number of kids playing multiple positions. Everybody places there focus on the kicker when they should focus on the whole operation, not just one part of it. There is a reason that colleges give schollies for kids just to snap a ball. I saw one kid that was a complete stud warming up, his snapper and line was so bad he never got the ball off the block.

Now that teams can practice year round, no excuse for a school not to have a good FG operation. Take Kicker, snapper and holder and have them practice year round. Send them to kicking camps also..
Most teams do not spend enough time on FGs. I have seen numerous JV teams that do not even try to kick extra points. They just line up and go for 2.

No offense to anyone, but some schools have girls who can kick.

Now that teams can practice year round, no excuse for a school not to have a good FG operation. Take Kicker, snapper and holder and have them practice year round. Send them to kicking camps also..
Most teams do not spend enough time on FGs. I have seen numerous JV teams that do not even try to kick extra points. They just line up and go for 2.

Yep.. Go find someone on the soccer team if need be. I can't tell you how many games Salem has won over the 30+ years of watching them because of a good kicking game.

Reactions: salemfan32
Agree 100% hr6, got to have a kid willing to work on it year round, preferably start them out together in7th grade and go all the way through. A lot of programs have the kicker but dont have the rest of the operation, take a nap in between the snap and the hold.

That's true but the state championship has been played for years on college fields never been issue. Maybe contenders should prepare there kickers better. I know when amherst use to get big leads they would kick field goals instead of scoring to get kicker reps. An maybe high school should look at narrowing there's to prepare the kickers for next level.
Amherst usually has good kickers. LT played there last year and knew about the goals so they should have been more prepared

Amherst usually has good kickers. LT played there last year and knew about the goals so they should have been more prepared
I think a few years back you had Tyler Dawson #14, he was an excellent Kicker. I saw him in the Benefit Game with LCA and a game at Northside. During HT he was kicking 50 yarders very accurately. I know he got a scholarship, but I can't remember where.

Porter Abell, Scott's son who played at Rockbridge, is now a WR at Richmond- very quick.

During our regular season games at Clarke, we have a field goal competition sponsored by the local Ford Dealership in Winchester. A soccer girl last year who also won homecoming queen that very night kicked a field goal. Just switched out her shoes!!

Reactions: mike salem
They were obviously prepared. It wasn't much longer than an extra point. It was a little bit of an angle and the post were a little more narrow than usual but the same for both teams. He just missed---it happens. However, it would have been nice if the coach and player had just admitted that they missed rather than implying that is was good and somehow the refs had cheated them.

Agree that it only comes across as sour grapes when Coach mentions the upright width after Saturday's loss.

I think a few years back you had Tyler Dawson #14, he was an excellent Kicker. I saw him in the Benefit Game with LCA and a game at Northside. During HT he was kicking 50 yarders very accurately. I know he got a scholarship, but I can't remember where.

Porter Abell, Scott's son who played at Rockbridge, is now a WR at Richmond- very quick.
in 90's they had Mike Padgett who could hit some real long field goals. He came back after college an was the kicking coach when Abell was coach an far as I know is still around.

I would think in this day and age they would make adjustable goal posts where the upright post could be moved in or out to accommadate any level of football.

Yeah, bigger question is do the universities whose facilities are used want to deal with that & the potential damage to the equipment as they remove/add goalposts. I bet not.

Where talk 4ft 8in an additional 2ft 4in on each side. With the hash marks being narrower that should more than make up for that 2ft 4in. This was just a convenient excuse for someone to say they should have one.

Also if the shoe had been on the other foot I could not see coach mag or his staff saying or posting was has been said an posted by LT coach an staff.

I would think in this day and age they would make adjustable goal posts where the upright post could be moved in or out to accommadate any level of football.
Actually, such a thing does already exist. I have seen them places, just not every where. I guess a better description for the ones I have seen would be interchangeable, not adjustable.

I am astounded that this trivia has received so many views but so be it. Both teams played on the same field. They played in the same place last year. There are no excuses.

Salem won. They were the better team on Saturday. LT had plenty of chances and they didn't make it happen. Spartans did. Time to go to 2016 because nothing is going to change what happened in 2015.

Where talk 4ft 8in an additional 2ft 4in on each side. With the hash marks being narrower that should more than make up for that 2ft 4in. This was just a convenient excuse for someone to say they should have one.

Also if the shoe had been on the other foot I could not see coach mag or his staff saying or posting was has been said an posted by LT coach an staff.

This is very key. The game was played with college posts AND college hash marks.

College hash marks are 40 feet apart. HS ones are 53.33 feet apart(exactly a third of the field) which means the angle on HS marks can become very severe the shorter the kick is but the narrowness of college posts compared to HS is neutralized by the easier hash marks. If they were kicking from HS marks towards college posts it would be much more difficult.

However, as you said, this was college posts and college marks so it's all much ado about nothing and the kid simply missed the kick.

Actually, such a thing does already exist. I have seen them places, just not every where. I guess a better description for the ones I have seen would be interchangeable, not adjustable.

Interchangeables exist, Salem has them(Stagg Bowl and such but occasionally other collegiate affairs). Salem also puts in the collegiate hash marks when needed, like this Friday.

Adjustables seem like a neat idea but for a very niche market. Only a handful of stadiums in each state probably really play host to multiple levels of play on a consistent basis, consistent being the key word there as the VHSL likes to move the playoffs around often. Presuming that adjustables would be more expensive than normal posts you'd need a good reason to spring for them. The only reason Salem has the college posts is because I'm sure the NCAA informed them if they wanted the game they'd need them.

Dawson was one of the best we had

Sure but someone said they had not made one all year so?

In 2013, they hadn't attempted a field goal all season, but in the waning second of their state semifinal game against North Stafford, they kicked a field goal to win 23-21.

How'd they get prepared for that kick but not prepared for this year's kick?

I'm not attempting to be confrontational, because we've met and I like you. But, I am challenging the logic that somehow Lake Taylor "wasn't prepared"

You don't win two state championships in three years and make it to three title games in four seasons if you team lacks preparation.

The easiest answer here is the right one -- a teenaged boy missed a kick and preparation does not guarantee perfection.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT