ADVERTISEMENT

Lake Taylor vs Maury

757FridayNiteZ

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 9, 2015
I think someone missed this game from Week 4. Maury (5A) has some impressive athletes (transfers from Bishop Sullivan & Norfolk Christian) and they beat 5A Finalist Nansemond River about 10 days ago.

My impression of Lake Taylor is that they are back!!! The Titans utilized thier Typical high pressure 86D and the same extremely effective, efficient, unstoppable Veer Offense. LT gave up their typical big pass plays, gave up a few big fumbles, etc. But, I think they punted only once for the whole game! We've seen this movie and for me it's and old reliable favorite.

Titans 49 Commodores 35

Last edited:
By Larry Rubama The Virginian-Pilot
Updated 50 min ago

NORFOLK

Lake Taylor missed four days of practice last week because of the threat of Hurricane Florence.

But the fourth-ranked Titans showed no signs of rust as they handed No. 6 Maury its first loss of the season on Monday night, 49-35.

Leading the way was sophomore running back Malik Newton. He rushed 23 times for 277 yards and four touchdowns. He would have topped 300 yards if not for cramping. In fact, that was the only thing that slowed the Titans on a hot, muggy night.

Trailing 6-0 early, the Titans (3-0) scored 21 unanswered points, led by Newton. He scored on runs of 2, 26 and 4 to help give Lake Taylor a 21-6 lead.

He said he and the Titans had motivation for the Eastern District showdown.

“We were ready to play Maury because they were on the internet talking trash, we didn’t want to say nothing,” he said. “We just wanted to stay humble.”

He also had another reason to run hard. His cousin Charles Jackson was a star running back for the Commodores in 1993.

“I seen him in the stands today,” Newton said. “I had to show out for him just so I can prove to him that his school wasn’t like that.”

Newton and Titans coach Hank Sawyer said none of those yards would have been possible if it wasn’t for the blocking of his offensive line, which consisted of Denzel Ewell, Patrick McEachin, Jayshaun Brown-Houston, Raphel Byrd, Tavion Copeland and Corey Holloway.

“My offensive line is tremendous,” Newton said. “Last year we had a few kinks but this year we got together, we got in the weight room and now they’re the best offensive line and I love playing behind them.”

In all, the Titans piled up 446 rushing yards on the Commodores.

“They just moved the line of scrimmage and moved the chains,” Sawyer said. “They have a lot of confidence in each other ... and he likes running behind them and they like him.”

The Titans won’t have much time to bask as they travel to Norview on Friday.

“I don’t know how that’s going to affect us,” Sawyer said. “But the kids will do what we ask them to do.”

Key stats: M-Alvonte Lawton 8-20-0, 187 yards, 2 TDs passing; KeAndre Lambert 2-6-1, 59 yards, TD passing; 2-76, TD receiving; C.J. Beasley 5-81, TD rushing. LT-Jeff Foster 13-89, TD rushing; 4-6-0, 91 yards, TD passing.

Going to be really hard to beat come playoffs

So in my opinion LT should be the number 1 ranked team in class 4. They are the only one in the top 10 that can really point to a signature win. Beating Freedom Woodbridge and now Maury who have a couple good athletes. Malik Newton is a rare talent with his size and speed. Not saying they are necessarily the best team in the class, maybe they are or maybe they are not. However, their resume through 4 weeks is the most impressive to me.

mbonape1, I don't know anything about Maury but Freedom (PW) is not what I would call a signature win. Freedom struggled to beat Life Christian (I saw the game) and then beat a below average Stonewall team that is currently 1-3 (with their only win against perennially bad Garfield); SJ got handled by two good teams (Centreville and Westfield). LT has three solid wins, yes. But not a signature win (unless Maury is that win).

Reactions: OCBoy
I was just impressed by how solid the LT offensive line play was last night. Not one time did any of the Maury defenders blow through any run blocks for a TFL. LT OL isn't big but they definitely got the job done & ALL of Hank Sawyer's running backs are tenacious, hard runners.

Reactions: mbonape1
mbonape1, I don't know anything about Maury but Freedom (PW) is not what I would call a signature win. Freedom struggled to beat Life Christian (I saw the game) and then beat a below average Stonewall team that is currently 1-3 (with their only win against perennially bad Garfield); SJ got handled by two good teams (Centreville and Westfield). LT has three solid wins, yes. But not a signature win (unless Maury is that win).
Considering how the game went last year it was a payback win and to defeat a 2-0 Class 6 team with a lot hype around them and some good players is a signature win this early. Maury was 3-0 including a win over Nansemond River who gave Highland Springs all they could handle in the state semis a year ago. They feature a kid going to Clemson and another with a zillion offers. They have some young coaching talent that has created a lot of buzz and transfers for their program and some people were picking them as the favorites last night.

Agreed but you are looking at it through a different lens. A D6 3x state title holder lens at that. I challenge you to find a team anywhere in class 4 with a true signature win? LT beating Freedom is the closest thing too that. At least Freedom has several D1 level athletes on the roster. Life Christian is also packed with D1 athletes. I do also think Newton is an elite TB. He is probably going to be able to get 200yrds if he gets enough carries against most of the 4a field. I really think it is the closest thing too a signature win... I am open to suggestions from others around the state. Somebody drop me a team on the 4a level with a signature win or a better one?

I was at the Freedom - Life Christian game as well - you really thought Freedom struggled, despite by winning by nearly 30? I left at the end of the 3rd and the game was out of reach at that point. Life Christian may have matched-up with Freedoom athletically, and both had plenty of penalties, but Freedom was the better team. I was also at the LT - Freedom 2017 game, and I admit Freedom 2018 isn't nearly as dynamic as Freedom 2017 led by AJ Felton, but I wouldn't consider Freedom an easy win. LT's win over Freedom may not be as impressive as a win over Freedoom 2017 would have been, but it was still a statement win for an LT team that was young last year.

Considering how the game went last year it was a payback win and to defeat a 2-0 Class 6 team with a lot hype around them and some good players is a signature win this early. Maury was 3-0 including a win over Nansemond River who gave Highland Springs all they could handle in the state semis a year ago. They feature a kid going to Clemson and another with a zillion offers. They have some young coaching talent that has created a lot of buzz and transfers for their program and some people were picking them as the favorites last night.
I agree the LT win was payback. Although Freedom is no slouch, I have not heard a lot of hype even though I know they have Brown (RB) and Surratt (WR) who are both very capable. I have to go with your analysis on the Maury win since you know a ton more about SE VA football than I do (and I know you have strong ties to LT).

Last edited:
Agreed but you are looking at it through a different lens. A D6 3x state title holder lens at that. I challenge you to find a team anywhere in class 4 with a true signature win? LT beating Freedom is the closest thing too that. At least Freedom has several D1 level athletes on the roster. Life Christian is also packed with D1 athletes. I do also think Newton is an elite TB. He is probably going to be able to get 200yrds if he gets enough carries against most of the 4a field. I really think it is the closest thing too a signature win... I am open to suggestions from others around the state. Somebody drop me a team on the 4a level with a signature win or a better one?
Yes, you are probably correct about viewing things through a specific lens. I also acknowledge that I have been spoiled with the opportunity to view high level VA high school football for almost 18 years. I don't get to see much D4 football and I was not trying to say LT is not a very good team, just that it is a bit early. I would love to see more of the D4 teams everyone talks about on here, but the logistics (time and travel) are just too much. However, I do stand by my assertion that Freedom is not top tier this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1
I was at the Freedom - Life Christian game as well - you really thought Freedom struggled, despite by winning by nearly 30? I left at the end of the 3rd and the game was out of reach at that point. Life Christian may have matched-up with Freedoom athletically, and both had plenty of penalties, but Freedom was the better team. I was also at the LT - Freedom 2017 game, and I admit Freedom 2018 isn't nearly as dynamic as Freedom 2017 led by AJ Felton, but I wouldn't consider Freedom an easy win. LT's win over Freedom may not be as impressive as a win over Freedoom 2017 would have been, but it was still a statement win for an LT team that was young last year.
IMO, beating a team soundly (LCA) and doing it well-upper level or even championship level play-are not the same thing. To use the team I (obviously) follow, Westfield, they beat Stonewall last week by a score of 31-13 - and did not play particularly well. WF also beat Braddock 42-21, but if they had played even close to what they are capable of it should have been 49-7 (or worse) and a shut out if the starters were not pulled quite so early in the second half). That said, I do not begrudge the Titans their win, or the Eagles their win over LCA. I just try to put things into a perspective of what does it take to have a championship level team, and that is what every team out there wants.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT