ADVERTISEMENT

LCA to move to C3 in 2019

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
It's a little weird anyway you cut it. LCA is a private school, therefore they don't have a school district. They technically can recruit students from anywhere in the world. I guess the concession by LCA to agree that Glass transfers sit out a year was just that, a concession?

If a kid decides to move from public school xyz to Bishop Sullivan, they don't sit out a year. If a student transfers from BS to public school xyz, they don't sit out a year, do they?

Don't get me wrong, I was not in favor of LCA joining the VHSL, but it seems like a strange rule.

Also, I'm not sure if the multiplier served any real purpose. I know it was instituted to compensate for basically an unlimited school district for LCA, (or any other private school). But, 800 students is 800 students. Does it matter if they come from two blocks from the school, or two counties away?

I think what they are trying to do is to make sure they don't end up in C4 or C2. They had planned to drop the multiplier to get to C3 and therefore had to choose 1 school zone. (Based on the numbers they would be C3 in 2019 regardless) In the future to avoid C2 (which they are only 6 students above the cut without multiplier) they would like to be able to use the multiplier again, if necessary. The way I'm reading it they are trying to fall in line with the VHSL so they made the zone concession. Bottom line is they'll be C3 in 2019 and they want to stay there in the future because many C2 schools don't have swimming or lacrosse.

At this point, they are here and I think they are trying to fall in line. I don't foresee an influx of private schools trying this. LCA initially said they wanted to be in the VHSL for local schedules for all sports and that's what they have now.

Will current LCA students who live in Glass zone be grandfathered in to finish out until they graduate or will they have to transfer to Glass to be eligible for athletics? Will be interesting to see how this situation will be monitored.

It was never explained that clearly but I thought the zone thing was just for transfers--if you want to transfer to LCA without sitting you will have to live in the Heritage zone or move there, whereas currently you could also live in or move to the Glass zone to transfer without losing eligibility.

I think you are right, Mike. I believe they are now just trying to fit in and get comfortable at a level that they can be competitive in.

I'll never forgive them for the way they used there money to force themselves into the VHSL. But, as long as they play by the rules, I'm ok with them.

It was never explained that clearly but I thought the zone thing was just for transfers--if you want to transfer to LCA without sitting you will have to live in the Heritage zone or move there, whereas currently you could also live in or move to the Glass zone to transfer without losing eligibility.
It was/is very convoluted. The rules were probably rushed and not thought through completely. But, that was a tough, challenging period of time for the VHSL. They almost literally had a gun to their head. "Come up with a solution or the trigger would be pulled."

Thst
I think you are right, Mike. I believe they are now just trying to fit in and get comfortable at a level that they can be competitive in.

I'll never forgive them for the way they used there money to force themselves into the VHSL. But, as long as they play by the rules, I'm ok with them.
Thats why I have the animosity toward them that I do. Always will, can’t help how I feel. A player should have to sit out a year for transfer. If not for that rule, they would have more than they do now, IMO

They'll be more comfortable in D3 for the playoffs. I didn't see them ever amounting to much in D4.

They'll be more comfortable in D3 for the playoffs. I didn't see them ever amounting to much in D4.
I can't see them amounting to much in D3. It's not like it much easier in district alone there's heritage, Brookville and then rustburg an liberty have there time every couple years. Honestly team to team I think across the board D3 is more challenging than D 4

I don't know if I could agree that C3 is more challenging, but I'll readily agree that the road to he top is every bit as tough as it is in C4.

(Incidentally, that road runs through Daleville this season.)

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I can't see them amounting to much in D3. It's not like it much easier in district alone there's heritage, Brookville and then rustburg an liberty have there time every couple years. Honestly team to team I think across the board D3 is more challenging than D 4
Are you saying D3 is more challenging than D4 within the Seminole or the classifications as a whole?

I'm not sure what Lancer meant, but I was speaking strictly class compared to class.

Are you saying D3 is more challenging than D4 within the Seminole or the classifications as a whole?
I think District and by class..You put Amherst,Brookville,Glass,,Jf and Heritage in a 5 team tournament,you might get different winners each year...Glass(C4) and Heritage(C3) might be top dog this year with JF(C4)and Brook(C3)looking like best 2 after this year..Lookout for Rustburg(amazing talent is coming)and Amherst showing their strength in 3 years..

I don’t think D3 is harder than D4 by any means. D4 is tough from top to bottom. Dinwiddie, Salem, LT, Monacan, Blacksburg, Danville, Lafayette, Byrd, Sherando, Glass, Louisa, EV, Amherst, Millbrook, Liberty (Bealeton),Woodgrove,JF..D4 is the deepest class in VA HS football, even with Salem’s dominance.

I don’t think D3 is harder than D4 by any means. D4 is tough from top to bottom. Dinwiddie, Salem, LT, Monacan, Blacksburg, Danville, Lafayette, Byrd, Sherando, Glass, Louisa, EV, Amherst, Millbrook, Liberty (Bealeton),Woodgrove,JF..D4 is the deepest class in VA HS football, even with Salem’s dominance.
I didn't mean to say D3 is tougher but I was agreeing with Dinwiddie Proud that the road is every bit tougher..Sorry

There are two separate and distinct roads.

Both vehicles, (teams), are built for their particular road.

Both roads are equally rough for the vehicle being used to travel them.

This analogy is true for Class 5 too, Except HSHS has become the gate keeper guarding the spot where the road ends. And they won't let any vehicles get past!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT