ADVERTISEMENT

LCA vs Pubs

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
If I counted right LCA is 10-0 during the regular season against pubs since '04. They've played Brunswick 3x, Prince Edward 2x, Gretna 2x, Dan River 2x & West Point. All those schools are 2a or below. A couple of them were runners-up in the years they played LCA (Brunswick & Gretna both 2a)

The competition level will really step up once they start playing the full Seminole schedule. I expect they'll be middle of the pack for a couple of years till they adjust to that level of competition. The Seminole will prepare them well for playoffs. I expect it will take at least 5 years for them to become relevant in 4a. That's just my 2 cents.

Yea I'd agree don't know why everyone giving LCA so much credit. The LU threads gotten out of control. LCA gotta get there first an once they start playing a regular schedule (Seminole). I think people will see they've over reacted. I've said this for years as people have fussed about us scrimmage them. Frankly of all district's to get put in I think Seminole the best with the teams an coaches in the district.

Reactions: wikki
The talent level at LCA has slowly declined the past couple of years, they need to upgrade skill positions.

I don't disagree with Mike's timetable. If anything, it could be a couple of years longer than five years before they are equal to their VHSL competition.

But, my thoughts keep going back to what will bottomless pockets buy them. You know it will eat them alive if they are not competitive. Will they pull out all the stops to bring in promising players? Go get top assistants and trainers? Invest in the year round programs even more so than the top public schools do? Carry the kids all over the country for clinics and the like during the summer?

Five to seven years makes since. Until you remember that anything that can be fixed with money will be at their disposal.

I guess we shall see!

I don't disagree with Mike's timetable. If anything, it could be a couple of years longer than five years before they are equal to their VHSL competition.

But, my thoughts keep going back to what will bottomless pockets buy them. You know it will eat them alive if they are not competitive. Will they pull out all the stops to bring in promising players? Go get top assistants and trainers? Invest in the year round programs even more so than the top public schools do? Carry the kids all over the country for clinics and the like during the summer?

Five to seven years makes since. Until you remember that anything that can be fixed with money will be at their disposal.

I guess we shall see!

Something to keep in mind is that they're not going to be able to bring in an all star team of athletes. LCA isn't for everybody. When LU comes in to recruit a kid the first thing that they ask is whether the kid can make it under LU's eules. A lot of times we have to say "No".

If I counted right LCA is 10-0 during the regular season against pubs since '04. They've played Brunswick 3x, Prince Edward 2x, Gretna 2x, Dan River 2x & West Point. All those schools are 2a or below. A couple of them were runners-up in the years they played LCA (Brunswick & Gretna both 2a)

The competition level will really step up once they start playing the full Seminole schedule. I expect they'll be middle of the pack for a couple of years till they adjust to that level of competition. The Seminole will prepare them well for playoffs. I expect it will take at least 5 years for them to become relevant in 4a. That's just my 2 cents.

I agree with you Mike and think they will not be as good as people think. I am just about fairness is all. In a couple scrimmages they beat Amherst when they were not at their best and Amherst even beat them. I actually cannot wait until they start playing a higher level. It will be interesting to see what happens when they don't win as many games what will they try next. Just my opinion. JF with their coach should be an interesting one for LCA

Something to keep in mind is that they're not going to be able to bring in an all star team of athletes. LCA isn't for everybody. When LU comes in to recruit a kid the first thing that they ask is whether the kid can make it under LU's eules. A lot of times we have to say "No".

There is a point here. LU definitely has nice facilities. The Strength and Conditioning Facilities and Coach are really, really impressive. Their vision of the future is quite ambitious. But the culture of the University is just not for the rational and intelligent. So yes, "no" is often the answer for minds less easily manipulated. I know that's how it was for my kid.

However, in LCA's case, free Education, room and board, an opportunity to possibly be known on a National level and a recruiting base that covers the entire Country, they will get some exceptional players. And as we should all know at this point, good programs will get you far on a consistent basis but it's the special players that make the difference when it comes to Championships.

There is a point here. LU definitely has nice facilities. The Strength and Conditioning Facilities and Coach are really, really impressive. Their vision of the future is quite ambitious. But the culture of the University is just not for the rational and intelligent. So yes, "no" is often the answer for minds less easily manipulated. I know that's how it was for my kid.

However, in LCA's case, free Education, room and board, an opportunity to possibly be known on a National level and a recruiting base that covers the entire Country, they will get some exceptional players. And as we should all know at this point, good programs will get you far on a consistent basis but it's the special players that make the difference when it comes to Championships.

I often disagree with you Shaunty, but you are spot on with this comment.

Yes that is the advantage they will have

Two points that stuck out me... First as far as strength and conditioning goes many schools have solid weight programs. I think we do a great job over at LT with our weight program, but the one thing we really pride ourselves on is our players run hard and are in tremendous shape and with with so few players compared to bigger schools in the 4th quarter we are usually the fresher team. With that also comes the fact that many coaches have invested a lot of time and research into crafting great offseason and in season workout plans so while Liberty may have a strength and conditioning coach most teams have someone on staff that is also very well versed or qualified in this department as well.

Second point I thought boarding schools were not allowed. So how can Liberty offer a student athlete this option and still fall within the VHSL guidelines.

From the sounds of this while some are talking about this great Christian education that you can receive at Liberty many others have talked about LCA as being a win at any cost organization that will skate the limits of the rules. If this is true is this how a faith based school suppose to operate?

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the link to Liberty University for graduates of LCA.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the link to Liberty University for graduates of LCA.

However, in LCA's case, free Education, room and board, an opportunity to possibly be known on a National level and a recruiting base that covers the entire Country, they will get some exceptional players.

Looks like he's talking about LCA to me.

He's referring to LU, I can assure you the education is not free at LCA. ($7,000) If your child attends there from grades 3-12 the education at LU is free. LCA is not a boarding school.

Two points that stuck out me... First as far as strength and conditioning goes many schools have solid weight programs. I think we do a great job over at LT with our weight program, but the one thing we really pride ourselves on is our players run hard and are in tremendous shape and with with so few players compared to bigger schools in the 4th quarter we are usually the fresher team. With that also comes the fact that many coaches have invested a lot of time and research into crafting great offseason and in season workout plans so while Liberty may have a strength and conditioning coach most teams have someone on staff that is also very well versed or qualified in this department as well.

Second point I thought boarding schools were not allowed. So how can Liberty offer a student athlete this option and still fall within the VHSL guidelines.

From the sounds of this while some are talking about this great Christian education that you can receive at Liberty many others have talked about LCA as being a win at any cost organization that will skate the limits of the rules. If this is true is this how a faith based school suppose to operate?

Agree that many schools have excellent off-season conditioning programs. I have been able to confirm that LCA's runs at least 3 days per week all summer long. I know others that do the same. What they do there, I cannot confirm. I can only assume that LCA utilizes the LU facilities. LCA is on the LU Campus. They use the LU Stadium for their games. LCA is literally 400 yards from the LU Football training facility, which is Light years above any HS I've ever seen. Now, if they use those facilities and have LU's Bill Gillespie directing their program, they have a significant advantage in Strength and Conditioning. Gillespie is one of the few Master Strength and Conditioning trainers in the world, 15 time World Champion in the Bench Press and one heck of an impressive individual.

As far as boarding, most VHSL rules don't really govern LCA in year 1. I imagine they will have a work around by year 2. Also, Faith is one thing. Proclaiming your Faith in God via Athletic performance is one of LCA's and LU's mantras. It's in their damn Mission Statement. Their Alumni and supporters will continue to heavily Fund that goal. It's not breaking the fair play ethic if it's being done for God. That's just the way they think and this is the primary reason they wanted to be part of the VHSL in the 1st place.

Last edited:
There is no boarding at LCA. They may have reclassified students for the first year because they were grandfathered in for this year, otherwise I believe all other rules apply.

He's referring to LU, I can assure you the education is not free at LCA. ($7,000) If your child attends there from grades 3-12 the education at LU is free. LCA is not a boarding school.
Correct on all counts. LCA is not free. LCA is not a Boarding School. However, there is generous Tuition Assistance for students LCA would like to have attending, Parental relocation and job procurement help and generous local families who become guardians for Out of State Students during the School year. That system has been in place for many years and will, with only slight tweaking, keep them in compliance with VHSL rules.

Correct on all counts. LCA is not free. LCA is not a Boarding School. However, there is generous Tuition Assistance for students LCA would like to have attending, Parental relocation and job procurement help and generous local families who become guardians for Out of State Students during the School year. That system has been in place for many years and will, with only slight tweaking, keep them in compliance with VHSL rules.
Unless you have specific information about certain players I don't think LCA does this. I'm not saying it's never happened or won't in the future, but those sound like general recruitment stereotypes that I know happen elsewhere. I know families move in from out of state so their sons can play football at LCA hoping to get a step up into the Liberty program, but from what I've seen these aren't families needing any help with money. The overwhelming majority of kids have come from the surrounding Lynchburg area. I haven't seen strong evidence of LCA being a cutthroat, win at all cost program like you hear about in other states. I wouldn't say I'm an insider by any means, but I grew up 6 miles from Liberty, attended LCA & Liberty, and my dad and brother both work or did work at Liberty for years, I've not heard the egregious recruitment tactics that other states use. I'm not saying there hasn't ever been a case or won't be in the future, but I'm not buying the rampant recruitment tactics that other places use.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
That's good enough for me, coming from you. I will believe and claim that they are going by the rules until someone proves otherwise.

Another mindless, "let's bash Christianity while we have the chance because it makes me look like a better person" post. Grow up shauntclair. LU is a great school with a positive mission. Stop showing your arrogance just because you're anti-Christian and feel the need to put down a great school just because you have nothing to live for in life.

Yea I'd agree don't know why everyone giving LCA so much credit. The LU threads gotten out of control. LCA gotta get there first an once they start playing a regular schedule (Seminole). I think people will see they've over reacted. I've said this for years as people have fussed about us scrimmage them. Frankly of all district's to get put in I think Seminole the best with the teams an coaches in the district.

It was not as much credit given to them as much as the advantages they have. I don't have as much of a problem as I once did, as long as they have to follow the same rules as ALL schools in the VHSL. It will be interesting to see what happens how they will fair against the Seminole and if they are not successful, what their next step will be. Money speaks volumes.

Mike, how did LCA do over the years against strong private schools?

And I'm kind of like Wikki. I trust they will do right, but the pressure to be competitive may push them to use their considerable resources in that pursuit, (beyond what is permitted).

I don't understand how they would technically be in violation of the VHSL rules if all they do is advertise for students anyway. And you know they will do that. Touting the benefits of a private school education is not against the rules. If they mention during interviews that a child is eligible to play the sports they offer, and explain the hopes and plans of their athletic efforts, that is not a violation. And they explain to parents how their child may fit into those plans, is that a violation? I certainly think not.

So, unless they go out and blatantly recruit for athletic involvement exclusively, they can recruit strongly within the rules anyway.

As far as financial assistance for tuition goes, unless only recruited athletes receive same, why would this be a violation. How many families in public schools get benefits that support the families and the kids. Let's start with free lunches, maybe breakfast, food stamps, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing, simply trying to expand on some of the arguments about private school participation in the VHSL.

Mike, how did LCA do over the years against strong private schools?
Looking at Maxpreps it looks like they are 21-10 against really good private schools since '04. Their record has not been as impressive lately as they were 0-3 last year against good teams. (Woodberry Forest, Charlotte Christian, Benedictine)

Very good reporting guys. Thanks to both of you. And thanks for sharing with everyone.

Any idea of the key players and what their positions might be this year?
These are their Titan Trophy award candidates:
#1 Jared Jauch WR/SS 6'0" 165
#6 Jordan Foster RB/SS 5'7" 200
#11 Matt Terrell DE/OLB 6'4" 225
#69 Rondre Knowles G/NG 6'0" 285
#76 Logan Blake G/NG 6'5" 305
The award is given at the beginning of the year to the best SR player in the Lynchburg region based on the previous season.

Had an interesting conversation today with someone who has a lot of knowledge with high school football in this area. People will just have to trust me on this. We talked about several teams and he said that Coach Christmas will always have a great team, he is that kind of a coach, knows how to coach and players want to play for him. He said LCA has college level coaches, I agree with him on that. He also said that players he knows from Glass are excited about Woody. Should be an interesting next few years. We discussed LCA further but I will not go into details.

Reactions: mike salem
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT