ADVERTISEMENT

Liberty Christian Academy Joins VHSL

Hope they have to follow the same rules, which they should

Is this a good move? From a football perspective, LCA should be able to get the same, if not better, competition from schools like Woodberry, Benedictine, Episcopal, O'Connell etc.

The issue of 5th year eligibility and re-classifying currently allowed in the VISAA must be addressed. If LCA is joining the VHSL then they absolutely should not be allowed to accept re-classifications and offer a 5th year of eligibility.

Reactions: wikki
Hope they have to follow the same rules, which they should
They will go around the rules. Recruits from around the State or out of State will reside on the LU campus or with local Lynchburg families, making them officially residents. All subsidized by LU. A system that is already in place. LCA will be extremely careful that all the t's are crossed and the i's dotted so they will "follow the rules".

I do wonder what kind of schedule they can put together and how many of the other Privates will follow. I'm pretty sure There will be a few, like VMI, that will jump in quickly.

A crooked VHSL and crooked LCA what more do you expect. Cannot believe they allowed it to happen for upcoming school year. Vhsl will not police the transfer rules and the team is already loaded with re graded kids. Since schedules for vhsl schools are usually set 2 years out, I don't see how they will play anybody but weak private schools this year and next. How do you rank and point their wins and losses for playoff seeding?

They will go around the rules. Recruits from around the State or out of State will reside on the LU campus or with local Lynchburg families, making them officially residents. All subsidized by LU. A system that is already in place. LCA will be extremely careful that all the t's are crossed and the i's dotted so they will "follow the rules".

I do wonder what kind of schedule they can put together and how many of the other Privates will follow. I'm pretty sure There will be a few, like VMI, that will jump in quickly.

Shaun - dont understand the VMI comment, maybe a typo or school I am not familiar with. I am pretty sure that LCA was and is the only one interested in doing this. I doubt any other eligible private school will follow any time soon. Article in the Daily Press spoke to several schools that could be eligible and they never even gave it a thought. Oh and the transfer game is already in full swing with the public schools on the Southside. Already an article in Virginia Pilot.

If a school can recruit the best athletes in an area it has an advantage.
My example for this: If Hampton can legally go all over the peninsula and make sure they get all the best 8th and 9th grade athletes in their city to come to their school they would be unstoppable. Sounds unfair right? A private school in Hampton will legally be able to do that. That is not fair

Private schools allow kids to reclassify, how will VHSL address this? I hope they dont allow kids who reclassified to play next year for LCA, VHSL says it is illegal to reclassify for athletics and kids are only eligible to play for 4 consecutive years once they enter the 9th grade. I am also concerned about kids who have already played varsity for LCA in the 8th grade, are they going to be allowed to play 5 years of varsity?

LASTLY, Liberty Christian School and Liberty University are going to be faced with some real moral dilemmas. If they really abide by all the rules set for by the VHSL for kids moving to their zone or kids transferring they will not sustain their current athletic success. Kid's parents have to live in the zone for them to be eligible. Any transfer will have to sit out if not and i think this will be hard to pill to swallow for LCA and they may be tempted to use false addresses and information as to where the children's parent live.

Some current public schools already reclassify 8th graders (Gate City comes to mind). I believe that the current age limits/years of participation on the varsity level will apply to private schools.

The issue I have is that the private schools can and do recruit. Woodberry Forest is in Madison County. Of late, they have actively recruited one of our best 8th grade athletes. Several of our best girl basketball players are playing for private schools. I don't have a problem with kids trying to better their future but putting those private schools in public districts/conferences is like opening the hen house door to the foxes.

LCA/LU have no morals to begin with. If it brings money or attention to their school then they're all in. The "Christian" part of their name means nothing..hasnt for a long time.

Actually...does having "Christian" in their name mean a tax break for them? Just curious.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT