ADVERTISEMENT

Life Christian

bulldog1150

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 5, 2001
What is the deal with this place? Who are the coaches? Who are the going to play? Where are they going to play?

I see that some folks have them rated high and they are apparently out poaching talented kids from the public schools. I am an unabashed fan of public school sports and kids playing with the guys they grew up with instead of jumping ship and trying to put together all star teams. Especially if there aren't legitimate academic benefits from leaving their home school. Not a proponent of the IMG / Bishop Sullivan model of scholastic athletics.

They play bishop Sullivan and st frances etc. they also play Freedom Woodbridge first week at Freedom I believe. I don’t know about the enrollment or anything like that but they are a private school and can legally poach kids and their coach has built a great pipeline via AAU football here in central va. He started the program (central va hurricanes) and the kids are very loyal to him. They will be young but they will have a star studded roster for sure.

Mbonape1 has been following LCA pretty close for a while now, I'm sure he can add some perspective. He and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum on how successful LCA is going to be.

Like affliction27 said, from "nothing" to "relevant" in one season? I don't see it happening. They can be successful with their "plan" IF, they have several supporters with deep pockets, and IF they can sustain their efforts in spite of disappointments. Personally, I don't think they can pull it off.

LCA/(formerly Evangel Christian Acadamy), has a history of being somewhat internally dysfunctional. They have influential members that try to steer the church and the school in a direction that is not universally accepted by the congregation. With this track record, I do not see them staying the course and becoming the football powerhouse that they want to be.

Last edited:
In addition to Jalen Smith, Life Christian has added Gerrien Christopher - a two-way performer we highlighted on the site in a story earlier this month from Indian River (safety / wide receiver). Christopher has close to a dozen offers and he tells me he has reclassified to 2020.

Sounds like more players will be heading to LCA from the '804' and '757' area code from what I'm hearing. How successful they end up being and if it has staying power, only time will tell.

In addition to Jalen Smith, Life Christian has added Gerrien Christopher - a two-way performer we highlighted on the site in a story earlier this month from Indian River (safety / wide receiver). Christopher has close to a dozen offers and he tells me he has reclassified to 2020.

Sounds like more players will be heading to LCA from the '804' and '757' area code from what I'm hearing. How successful they end up being and if it has staying power, only time will tell.

@matthew328826 they have got a squad. Any chance we can get a story on them at some point?

Did the Stafford QB enroll at Stafford for more than one year? Was he one of those kids who used to attend Colonial Forge?

Mbonape1 has been following LCA pretty close for a while now, I'm sure he can add some perspective. He and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum on how successful LCA is going to be.

Like affliction27 said, from "nothing" to "relevant" in one season? I don't see it happening. They can be successful with their "plan" IF, they have several supporters with deep pockets, and IF they can sustain their efforts in spite of disappointments. Personally, I don't think they can pull it off.

LCA/(formerly Evangelical Christian Acadamy), has a history of being somewhat internally dysfunctional. They have influential members that try to steer the church and the school in a direction that is not universally accepted by the congregation. With this track record, I do not see them staying the course and becoming the football powerhouse that they want to be.

Exactly Lets see how it works when football is over and they are walking around with 1st graders. I havent seen the first "stud" they poached from a 804 high school.

Don't know his name, but they did get at least 1 kid from T. Dale. I spoke to him and his dad at JM's 7v7 last weekend (he had a Thomas Dale tshirt on. Told me he was there but now at LCA. (LCA was at the event).

Don't know his name, but they did get at least 1 kid from T. Dale. I spoke to him and his dad at JM's 7v7 last weekend (he had a Thomas Dale tshirt on. Told me he was there but now at LCA. (LCA was at the event).

I believe I know the player you speak of but not naming names. The LCA thing is a bit of enigma because when I was able to get on their site months ago when I was first told(warned) about them I found a small private school with not a heavy enrollment. So I don't know how a small school like that can be so potent if you will, not right off the bat.

That said, if the coach has his hands in AAU and is able to funnel kids through a pipeline, then I guess there is the answer but in my opinion, that is a bit seedy... I don't see how anyone could feel that is right but then again, there are lot of things in terms of high school football now days that I don't always agree with.

It is a story to follow for sure in terms of the next few years what they do in terms of recruiting and what their impact will be. As a few said, only time will tell.

Someone must have deep pockets to get this thing rolling. If you bring in 30 high school kids that means more teachers, classrooms, materials, etc.. I have heard the kids can take online classes. Would this mean you can play for LCA and live in a different area code? Whatever the case time will tell.

Football is one of those sports that when the stuff hits the fan, you need to be able to rely on your friends and tighten up instead of pointing fingers and everybody doing their own thing. Just my opinion, but when it hits the fan for LCA, it will be interesting how they handle the adversity. Seems like they are all looking out for their own self interests, instead of playing for something bigger than themselves like their school or community.

But I just hope everybody is making decisions based with a clear head and not being sold a dream and wearing rose colored glasses. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

But that opener at Freedom will be an early measuring stick about what kind of squad they have. Just because you have great players doesn't mean you have a great "team". Recruiting rankings and 7v7 won't help on 4th and 1. Takes some team chemistry sometimes.

Football is one of those sports that when the stuff hits the fan, you need to be able to rely on your friends and tighten up instead of pointing fingers and everybody doing their own thing. Just my opinion, but when it hits the fan for LCA, it will be interesting how they handle the adversity. Seems like they are all looking out for their own self interests, instead of playing for something bigger than themselves like their school or community.

But I just hope everybody is making decisions based with a clear head and not being sold a dream and wearing rose colored glasses. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

But that opener at Freedom will be an early measuring stick about what kind of squad they have. Just because you have great players doesn't mean you have a great "team". Recruiting rankings and 7v7 won't help on 4th and 1. Takes some team chemistry sometimes.
Im not buying the Freendom game either. Freedom has a game scheduled the day before against Heritage on Maxpreps.

I agree with all that’s being said... but they do have numerous D1 athletes and will be good this year. They practice all year from the looks of it in a Helmet running routes etc. they have a nice facility from the clips I have seen. Also, there are several player that went out of state to play for other private schools that used to play with the central va hurricanes that still live in Richmond. Won’t be long until those kids return. Josiah Williams and the TD tailback were all on the AAU squad with the same coach at Life. Not saying they would leave but who knows if LCA comes out and looks good and gets a bunch of National exposure games next season... Maybe that and the relationship with the coach... who knows what happens.

They are all bought in on the attention they are going to receive for basically having a football farm. They want to be an IMG or BS Sullivan I suppose. They are too early in the game to pull kids that have been in their current high schools that are already finding success. It is the younger kids I am worried about. They have pulled in a few kids that were ranked in the top 100 for their classes. They are young but have talent to burn.

I know nothing about them at all except for what I am seeing in terms of athletes enrolling. You all may be right about everything else, but they do have a lot of talent over there and that is not up for debate

Bulldog, as I was reading through the thread to catch up, I was thinking the same thing you posted. They are assembling an assortment of supposedly standout players, they are not building a team. I have no respect for the way the AAU functions, therefore I have no confidence that they will establish what is needed to be successful..., something called a "team"!

You said a mouthful Bulldog, and most of you said the same thing in different words, the only thing I see happening at LCA is a bunch of egotistical adults serving their own interest on the backs of high school kids. And I don't care if Life Christian totally fools me and I'm wrong, it's still not an ethical endeavor. Sell a pie in the sky dream to some kids and their parents that drags kids away from their teammates and friends that they should be growing up with? And for what? Maybe 1 in 50 gets a little more notice from colleges than they would have gotten at their public school.

That’s a shame about the Stafford QB. Although they graduated some good players they had some nice pieces coming back. Extremely hard nosed and I was hoping they would remain a main stay in the regional picture.

Bulldog, as I was reading through the thread to catch up, I was thinking the same thing you posted. They are assembling an assortment of supposedly standout players, they are not building a team. I have no respect for the way the AAU functions, therefore I have no confidence that they will establish what is needed to be successful..., something called a "team"!

You said a mouthful Bulldog, and most of you said the same thing in different words, the only thing I see happening at LCA is a bunch of egotistical adults serving their own interest on the backs of high school kids. And I don't care if Life Christian totally fools me and I'm wrong, it's still not an ethical endeavor. Sell a pie in the sky dream to some kids and their parents that drags kids away from their teammates and friends that they should be growing up with? And for what? Maybe 1 in 50 gets a little more notice from colleges than they would have gotten at their public school.

That’s a shame about the Stafford QB. Although they graduated some good players they had some nice pieces coming back. Extremely hard nosed and I was hoping they would remain a main stay in the regional picture.

Ill put money that this youngman was sold I can get you an offer and were playing a National schedule

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I agree with all that’s being said... but they do have numerous D1 athletes and will be good this year. They practice all year from the looks of it in a Helmet running routes etc. they have a nice facility from the clips I have seen. Also, there are several player that went out of state to play for other private schools that used to play with the central va hurricanes that still live in Richmond. Won’t be long until those kids return. Josiah Williams and the TD tailback were all on the AAU squad with the same coach at Life. Not saying they would leave but who knows if LCA comes out and looks good and gets a bunch of National exposure games next season... Maybe that and the relationship with the coach... who knows what happens.

They are all bought in on the attention they are going to receive for basically having a football farm. They want to be an IMG or BS Sullivan I suppose. They are too early in the game to pull kids that have been in their current high schools that are already finding success. It is the younger kids I am worried about. They have pulled in a few kids that were ranked in the top 100 for their classes. They are young but have talent to burn.

I know nothing about them at all except for what I am seeing in terms of athletes enrolling. You all may be right about everything else, but they do have a lot of talent over there and that is not up for debate
They do not have facilities . Ive been told they hace a gym membership to lift and they practice on a little League field, Harrowgate Park .

I keep seeing video of them in an indoor facility? Idk. Sounds like you know more than me about them.

I know a few people lol. Ive seen them. Its at a 7v7 tourney. I feel sorry for the kids whose parents bought the swamp land thinking they got beachfront .

Looking at their facilities on Goggle Earth, I see no football, or even baseball/softball fields. I see a medium size building that may be their gym/indoor practice facility. Admittly, this Goggle Earth few could be a couple of years old and they have since developed their facilities.

Reactions: mbonape1
Looking at their facilities on Goggle Earth, I see no football, or even baseball/softball fields. I see a medium size building that may be their gym/indoor practice facility. Admittly, this Goggle Earth few could be a couple of years old and they have since developed their facilities.
Thats the basketball gym ..i played in a church leagur there many many many years ago lol

Reactions: mbonape1
Nothing like finishing your “National schedule” playing Christchurch lol.

Ok we officially need a story on this. We have DP doing Google earth satelight mapping for Life Christian lol.

I thought that the kids were going to live there? SO that means these kids transferring in are being housed by coaches or family in the area? Yikes lol!
You are correct. I heard some players are housing the out of town guys . This will not last . You wait until the teams in the league find out the Bush league stuff theyre pulling .

I have some experience in the private school arena from years ago. There were always private schools pulling out all the stops to be the next great football powerhouse in the league. It ran in cycles. But the primary lesson is that no matter how good it looked on paper, it never really worked, and what success they achieved was very short lived.

In my experience, it was always driven by a few dads with money and/or influence. And most of these dads had been, (or at least thought they were), studs on their former high school teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT