ADVERTISEMENT

Link to new ADM numbers

Massaponax will move to C6.

Woodgrove and Deep Creek will be moving to C5.

Hampton, Tuscarora, Warwick, Lee-Davis, and Halifax, will be dropping to C4.

Charlottesville, Lafayette, William Byrd, Carroll Co, & LCA will be dropping to C3. (LCA almost dropped to C2)

Patrick Co and Alleghany will drop to C2.

I couldn't believe John Champe had such an enrollment surge they jumped to 5th in Va. The school is only a few years old. 2 new schools are being built in the next 2 years to help with overcrowding.

Last edited:

Hampton, Tuscarora, Warwick, Lee- Davis, and Halifax, will be dropping to C4.

Charlottesville, Lafayette, William Byrd, Carroll Co, & LCA will be dropping to C3. (LCA almost dropped to C2)

I couldn't believe John Champe had such an enrollment surge they jumped to 5th in Va. The school is only a few years old. 2 new schools are being built in the next 2 years to help with overcrowding.
Crazy thing is, Patrick County will dominate in 2a. Baseball, softball, volleyball, and girl's basketball..Boy's basketball is on the come up too.

Hampton, Tuscarora, Warwick, Lee- Davis, and Halifax, will be dropping to C4.

Moving up from Class 4 to Class 5 will be Midlothian. Interesting note, Varina is 3 spots out of dropping from Class 5 to Class 4!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
It'll be strange but I think it'll be good for us. It'll be cool to play teams like rivals Western Albemarle and Monticello in the playoffs, along with teams like Rustburg, Heritage, Spotswood etc.

Reactions: mike salem
According to the LCPS website Champe currently has an enrollment of 2054, I wonder where the 2736 projection comes from. Either way they end up in Class 6. I thought they would be losing students once Independence opens.

Does the 738 number for LCA include the multiplier that the VHSL was slapping on them? Has their enrollment dropped that much?

Last edited:
TJ-Richmond and John Marshall did not include their alt ed kids. That might bump both of them to 3A. This could move LCA into 2A unless the 738 does not include the multiplier.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
According to the LCPS website Champe currently has an enrollment of 2054, I wonder where the 2736 projection comes from. Either way they end up in Class 6. I thought they would be losing students once Independence opens.

Does the 738 number for LCA include the multiplier that the VHSL was slapping on them? Has their enrollment dropped that much?
I knew LCA's enrollment would drop. I didn't expect a drop of 275 students. It's possible that number doesn’t include the multiplier, but they will still be C3.

Lafayette back to 3. Based on enrollment it makes sense. Tabb has a few more students and indicated as a change to 3 and York has the same students and now a 3. Actually will miss the opportunity to play Dinwiddie and some others but the student size dictates.

Long ways to go with these numbers. On the original list Green Run (VB) was 4A, but they forgot to add the Academy kids which bumped them back up to 5A. Region 6A would currently only have 6 teams. Appeals and a lot of other steps to happen.

Yeah, do not assume anything.

First and foremost, changes, if any, would not take affect until the 2019/2020 school year.

Like Devils said, a zillion questions have to be answered before it's for certain that anyone changes class.

It all starts in June when the re-alignment committee meets.

Certainly there are a few schools that will have documented evidence that alters their ADM. (i.e. Sherando last cycle).

And if a school is within 5% of the cut line, they can stay in the class they are in.

Also, remember that the cut line will change from where it currently is.

Fun to discuss and speculate, but nothing is for certain.

TJ-Richmond and John Marshall did not include their alt ed kids. That might bump both of them to 3A. This could move LCA into 2A unless the 738 does not include the multiplier.
correct - RVA has three specialty high schools w/o sports so their kids can play at either JM or TJ. MLWGS is moving up to 3.

Last edited:
Tom Dolan, VHSL associate director was quoted in today’s Daily Press as saying as these ADM fiqures come from the Department of Education any school appealing will be unlikely to win except for beyond extraordinary circumstances. There is no longer any rule that allows a school to play up anymore. As enrollment is key to Federal funding being the max it is unlikely the Superintendents would present a low number. In Tidewater the 5 classification downgrades were presented pretty much as done for 2019-20.

correct - RVA has three specialty high schools w/o sports so their kids can play at either JM or TJ. MLWGS is moving up to 3.
Will bet money we will be a 3 those numbers are only counted to maint
Those multipliers are flawed TJ and JM are 2 programs that pay the price to play 3 because many people don’t want to drop below 3 in a winter sport . Safe to say we will both be at 3 again.

Yeah, do not assume anything.

First and foremost, changes, if any, would not take affect until the 2019/2020 school year.

Like Devils said, a zillion questions have to be answered before it's for certain that anyone changes class.

It all starts in June when the re-alignment committee meets.

Certainly there are a few schools that will have documented evidence that alters their ADM. (i.e. Sherando last cycle).

And if a school is within 5% of the cut line, they can stay in the class they are in.

Also, remember that the cut line will change from where it currently is.

Fun to discuss and speculate, but nothing is for certain.

You don't get to stay if you're within 5%. That only applies on the 2nd year of the four years I believe. I could be wrong.

PM SECTION 10: CLASSIFICATION (5-15)-Beginning with the 2015-16 school year, at the mid-point of a four-year cycle a school will remain in its current classification if the school is no more than 5% above the highest school's previous ADM within the classification in which it had been assigned.

Hey Dinwiddie, I believe that 2019 is the start of a new 4 year cycle so the 5% factor doesn’t apply until after the 2020 season.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Hey Dinwiddie, I believe that 2019 is the start of a new 4 year cycle so the 5% factor doesn’t apply until after the 2020 season.

You might be right. The question hinges on whether or not 2013/2014 was a stand alone two year cycle. I was under the belief that 2013, 14, 15, & 16 were a four year cycle. There is no question that 2013 started a cycle. That was the first year with the infamous "conference" trial. Was the first of two years, of four years?

You are correct, OldIndian. My apologies. Next year begins a new four year cycle. So I guess the 5% rule does not come into play?

I assume the two factors that could change, that affect placement in a class level are:

1). Some adjustment to the reported ADM numbers?

2). The cut off line between classes being adjusted?

Wow, since the 5% rule won't come into play, it looks like there will be a considerable number of changes.

Will bet money we will be a 3 those numbers are only counted to maint

Those multipliers are flawed TJ and JM are 2 programs that pay the price to play 3 because many people don’t want to drop below 3 in a winter sport . Safe to say we will both be at 3 again.
which is too bad for the kids because would not be the biggest schools in Class 2.
They and MLWGS would switch places.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT