ADVERTISEMENT

Live stream

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
So apparently they are shutting down our face book live for the state game and we can’t even pay the 500 like was done for the semi final.
Is it streamed anywhere else someone can pay to see????
My parents want to watch their grandson play but out of state and older so cold damp days ain’t possible.

So apparently they are shutting down our face book live for the state game and we can’t even pay the 500 like was done for the semi final.
My parents want to watch their grandson play but out of state and older so cold damp days ain’t possible.

Www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/vhsl $11 for a 1 month subscription

I think they have it NHS you can get all championship games for one price probably should be someone else on here knows more than me but i believe it is available

Reactions: Bo Bob
Just to add to this. I watched last year the Riverheads Chilhowie game streamed fairly well but by the 2A game it was pretty much unwatchable. It could have been my internet connection but I had never had any problems before or since. So I would say it was on NFHS end. Hopefully they get it straight this year because I will most likely go that route again this year. If I go to Salem the better half always wants to shop.

Dont see how they can shut that down.

Reactions: HolyFrog
I had a time with NFHS watching the wrestling tournament last year. I was emailing and complaining my tail off at the start then it got better for a little bit then went to pot again. I will just go this year instead dang it.

I had a time with NFHS watching the wrestling tournament last year. I was emailing and complaining my tail off at the start then it got better for a little bit then went to pot again. I will just go this year instead dang it.

Yeah I don't mind paying for something. I just like to get what I pay for. I understand that this is something new for high school sports and there will be a little bit of delay and such but I gave up when I was still trying to get through the first quarter and my buddy at the game texted me with the final score.

Reactions: Baseball215
I had a major issue with the audio for the state basketball tournament last year. Out of 4 days of games, I could only actually hear anything on the first day. It was ridiculous.

Yeah I don't mind paying for something. I just like to get what I pay for. I understand that this is something new for high school sports and there will be a little bit of delay and such but I gave up when I was still trying to get through the first quarter and my buddy at the game texted me with the final score.
Still had to be better than shopping lol

If you don't make it this year you can always go next year!

One of the things that hasn't been mentioned, is in Salem, where NFHS sets up the cameras on the home side of Salem Stadium, if people are standing, it's hard to see anything going on while play is happening. I usually just take the free route and wait the 7 days to watch the championship games on demand.

One of the things that hasn't been mentioned, is in Salem, where NFHS sets up the cameras on the home side of Salem Stadium, if people are standing, it's hard to see anything going on while play is happening. I usually just take the free route and wait the 7 days to watch the championship games on demand.
They have stopped doing that.

Then what knuckle head doesn't rope an area off right in front of him so people are not in the cameras view.
Steep stadium so it's probably only a small area that would need to be blocked off so the paying people can see more than the back of someones head.

Reactions: oldfool2
I was in DC to watch Redskins and Wizards in 2016 during the State game. I had FB Live up and the website above going at same time in hotel. It was about 5 minutes behind so I just watched FB Live. The commentating is pretty good though and the picture came through good.

Another thing, you can watch all the championship games with that one set price. 1A through 6A

Then what knuckle head doesn't rope an area off right in front of him so people are not in the cameras view.
Steep stadium so it's probably only a small area that would need to be blocked off so the paying people can see more than the back of someones head.

They do, I sat near the pressbox and they have someone there making sure nobody sits on the top row.

Reactions: Bo Bob
I still think it's a buncha bull, didn't have a problem with FB streaming all in the past. VH$L !!!
You gotta understand that if there's a contract with the NFHS, why would someone sign up to view when they can watch on Facebook Live, Periscope or some other type of unofficial, free service? They have the exclusive rights.

I say this of course as one of the commentators for the games this weekend in Hampton, but it's incredibly frustrating when we go out of our way to promote it, put prep work in and do it for the network... then I look 30-40 feet from me on press row at VCU as I did a couple years ago and see some media member doing LIVE Periscope. Fortunately the VHSL has cracked down on that and I commend them there. You can't police everyone, I get it, but you don't see media members live streaming games televised on ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, etc. This should be no different.

I personally do not have a problem with paying the NFHS subscription price. Those folks in the stands had to buy a ticket so the fans at home should have to pay as well. However as myself and others have pointed out if you're going to sell something then people should get what they pay for. There basically charging the same price as other subscription channels yet the quality has not been there so far. Hopefully that will change this year.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
You gotta understand that if there's a contract with the NFHS, why would someone sign up to view when they can watch on Facebook Live, Periscope or some other type of unofficial, free service? They have the exclusive rights.

I say this of course as one of the commentators for the games this weekend in Hampton, but it's incredibly frustrating when we go out of our way to promote it, put prep work in and do it for the network... then I look 30-40 feet from me on press row at VCU as I did a couple years ago and see some media member doing LIVE Periscope. Fortunately the VHSL has cracked down on that and I commend them there. You can't police everyone, I get it, but you don't see media members live streaming games televised on ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, etc. This should be no different.
With that said there is nothing but complaints I'm hearing of the $11 stream that was offered. I know numerous people that got it and are VERY disappointed. On the Class 2A game I know for sure, also said commutators was bias and was on talking about SD. With that said it's pretty sad a individual can stream better on FB live on her cell phone. That's sad. Everyone wasted there money on the "PPV" it was only a "PP" cause there was no "V" (View)

Reactions: oldfool2
With that said there is nothing but complaints I'm hearing of the $11 stream that was offered. I know numerous people that got it and are VERY disappointed. On the Class 2A game I know for sure, also said commutators was bias and was on talking about SD. With that said it's pretty sad a individual can stream better on FB live on her cell phone. That's sad. Everyone wasted there money on the "PPV" it was only a "PP" cause there was no "V" (View)
I can't speak on the commentators from there and the quality, but know the quality was fine for the 3A through 6A and we pride ourselves on being down the middle (doesn't matter to me who wins) for the games we call. But sorry to hear your viewing experience was not what you had hoped for with the games in Salem.

Nothing but complaints sounds a bit strong / somewhat of an exaggeration (given that it's 3 days after the games and this is the first complaint I've heard) + I highly doubt the quality from a cell phone for Facebook live would be better than the equipment used on the NFHS Network. Just saying there.

I can't speak on the commentators from there and the quality, but know the quality was fine for the 3A through 6A and we pride ourselves on being down the middle (doesn't matter to me who wins) for the games we call. But sorry to hear your viewing experience was not what you had hoped for with the games in Salem.

Nothing but complaints sounds a bit strong / somewhat of an exaggeration (given that it's 3 days after the games and this is the first complaint I've heard) + I highly doubt the quality from a cell phone for Facebook live would be better than the equipment used on the NFHS Network. Just saying there.

Did the NFHS use a camera crew or pixellot?

I have no complaints. Just genuinely curious.

Actually complaints were made sunday morning. Quality of the video was terrible and yes live streaming from a phone has been much better. Evidently you have comment on something you have not watched and listened to. So now i'm just saying here.

I was flipping back between the NC games and VA games. The Virginia games was very poor quality compared to North Carolina’s. NC games were a small step down from ESPN, VA games were Facebook Live-ish...

Did the NFHS use a camera crew or pixellot?

I have no complaints. Just genuinely curious.
Again, I don't know what they used out in Salem... but know we had HD cameras with replay capability (which I know you don't have for a cell phone / Facebook Live broadcast) with a TV style production truck in the parking lot.

I understand and recognize there is some frustration about the quality for the 1A / 2A games - something out of my control - but for those that feel that way, let's use some common sense and not make the exaggerated statement that a cell phone would produce better quality and a better product because I highly doubt it would. That's fully acknowledging that it probably could've been better than it was. But for that to be the case, you would need the proper technology... Facebook Live feeding it without replay capability doesn't scream 'better' to me. Having zoom as well as replay capability, graphics, etc. obviously enhance the broadcast.

Again, I don't know what they used out in Salem... but know we had HD cameras with replay capability (which I know you don't have for a cell phone / Facebook Live broadcast) with a TV style production truck in the parking lot.

I understand and recognize there is some frustration about the quality for the 1A / 2A games - something out of my control - but for those that feel that way, let's use some common sense and not make the exaggerated statement that a cell phone would produce better quality and a better product because I highly doubt it would. That's fully acknowledging that it probably could've been better than it was. But for that to be the case, you would need the proper technology... Facebook Live feeding it without replay capability doesn't scream 'better' to me. Having zoom as well as replay capability, graphics, etc. obviously enhance the broadcast.
Just my opinion your assuming that technology was properly used. I encourage you to actually watch the games and then give your thoughts about it.

I think the biggest problem is the cameras didn't follow the play and lot of folks was clueless to where the ball went etc. I actually attended my Raiders game. Just from all the hear say many want reimbursement. I was told the FB live camera lady could pay a fee which a lot of Appo folks was gonna pay like they did on the Graham game and all people that could we watch FB live then could watch it that way. At last minute they canceled that offer and said only way to watch was through the NFHS. It was all a money thing. Watch the footage the folks on here are speaking of then you may understand why they would have preferred the FB live, because the lady actually follows the play. Every play. OH, and with all that that said after all the money VHSL gets they issue Dollar General looking thropys. I mean really ? After winning STATES ? That's like a smack in the face. Should be at least a be like a 3 ft tall shinny trophy instead of a 12x8 piece of wood. C'MONNN MAN !

Last edited:

I did not see any replays and the camera never moved the first game , it was terrible and yes the Facebook live is better than that , The second game for me was about commentary from the the two guys and yes I know there names because they said it . Just bad all the way round .

Not trying to pile on here but the camera was on a tripod that had the front leg tapped to the open window of press box it was pointed out of. It really did look fairly shady to be honest.

OH, and with all that that said after all the money VHSL gets they issue Dollar General looking thropys. I mean really ? After winning STATES ? That's like a smack in the face. Should be at least a be like a 3 ft tall shinny trophy instead of a 12x8 piece of wood. C'MONNN MAN !

I will say the individual medals they got this year was nicer than the ones they gave the other 3 years we won.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT