ADVERTISEMENT

LIVE Updates - #5 Princess Anne (5-5) at #4 Nansemond River (6-4)

matthew328826

Publisher of VirginiaPreps.com (Rivals Network)
Staff
Jul 20, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
matthewhatfield.com
Greetings from a frigid Arrowhead Stadium in Suffolk, site of the Class 5, Region B Playoffs as the Nansemond River Warriors (6-4) with the #4 seed play host to the visiting fifth-seeded Princess Anne Cavaliers (5-5).

My phone tells me it is 42 degrees outside here at kick-off, but my body begs to differ.

Princess Anne is looking for its first playoff win since 1999. Nansemond River is aiming for its first playoff victory since 1995.

Follow updates here and via Twitter @ hatfieldsports ...

With excellent field position, Nansemond River sees QB Kori Riddick complete both of his passes to Kevin Johnson for a gain of 24 yards.

Princess Anne has come out with what looks like a 6-2 defensive front. Johnson did a nice job of catching that pass in the flat and avoid Darryl Jones tackling him near the goal line.

Second Princess Anne possession begins at their own 35-yard line with 5:44 to go in the first period. That Nansemond River defensive front is really collapsing the pocket well, and in particular sophomore Joeziah Autrey who already has two sacks.

A 24-yard punt by Princess Anne after another 3 & out. Through two possessions, the Cavaliers have minus 13 yards and they are 0 for 1 through the air.

My phone still says it's 42 degrees outside, but I'm just now starting to get the feelings back in my fingers after taking pregame photos on the field. It is much more comfortable in the pressbox, I will not lie.

Well, after the punt, the referees call a 10-yard holding penalty on Nansemond River. So Princess Anne will actually line up to go for it, facing 4th & 3 at their own 42. The Warriors burn a time-out to try to get the defense situated.

Princess Anne moves the chains on 4th & 3, but after doing so, they are called for a 15-yard personal foul penalty. Nonetheless, they don't boot it away and keep possession. The Cavs are now at their own 30-yard line.

Darryl Jones loses a yard. In on the stop was junior Datron Branch for his second stop behind the line of scrimmage. Branch is now being looked at with what appears to be - and hopefully is only - a cramp from up here.

Princess Anne is putting together a nice drive and their o-line, led by massive left tackle Amelio Moran (6-2, 310), is starting to settle in after a rough start. Moran has several offers on his plate, including in-state options James Madison and Old Dominion.

Five different players have carried the ball for PA thus far, the most effective being Chantz Baylor to this point.

The East Carolina commit Gerard Stringer gets a chance to touch the football on offense. While he's known for being a linebacker, his 10-yard run pushes the Warriors into Princess Anne territory.

He's the 6th different ball carriers for David Coccoli's Warriors, now operating out of a double-wing offense. Earlier in the season, they were using a pro-style attack.

Jaquelle Harrell now is getting in on the act as Nansemond River's double-wing is working well against this Princess Anne. One play after a double handoff picked up 9 yards, Harrell gains 13.

Worse for the Cavaliers is the fact they are losing composure. They got flagged for a pair of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties - one of which they are fortunate did not result in someone getting tossed (from here, it looked like a PA player might've threw a punch).

Nansemond River is knocking on the door, ahead 7-0 late in the 2nd period.

It doesn't get much better than that for Nansemond River, which wore down the Princess Anne defense on that drive and you saw their physicality as well as mental toughness play a big part in extending their lead.

Key Stats at the Half:

Nansemond River 14:
Rashaad Williams - 3Car. 37Yds.
Gerard Stringer - 2Car. 14Yds. TD
Kori Riddick - 3-4 for 37Yds. 1-0TD/Int. ratio
Kevin Johnson - 2Rec. 24Yds. TD; INT

Warriors - 22 plays for 120 total yards (3-4 for 37 pass yards; 18Car. 83Yds.); 4 penalties for 34 yards; 0 turnovers

Princess Anne 0:
Chantz Baylor - 6Car. 20Yds.
Darryl Jones - 6Car. minus 12Yds; 4 Tackles (3 Solo), Sack
Azaiyah Roberts - 3Car. 12Yds; 0-2 passing, INT
Mickey Walker - 3 Tackles

Cavaliers - 19 plays for 23 total yards (17Car. 23Yds; 0-2 passing); 5 penalties for 45 yards; 1 turnover on INT

Nansemond River starts at its own 37-yard line to begin the second half, leading 14-0. The Warriors appeared to move the chains, but a holding penalty and incomplete pass on 3rd down forces them to punt it away.

Princess Anne takes over at their own 45 with 9:30 left in the third quarter. Darryl Jones has been contained to this point, although he's so explosive that he can go off at any moment.

Really like what I'm seeing out of Nansemond River freshman lineman Payton Payne (6'1, 230). He's starting at DT and at left guard. Back-to-back tackles by Payne brings up 3rd & 5 for PA from the 50.

Second turnover of the night by the Cavaliers. A great individual effort by Terps commit Darrly Jones, who initially tried to throw, reversed his field and gained 17 yards before fumbling as he was going out of bounds.

Nansemond River begins at their own 2.

Pheldarious Payne and Gerard Stringer combine to make a stop for loss on 2nd down. That puts Princess Anne in 3rd & long where the pass reception by Chantz Baylor results in a loss of one, thanks to Stringer making the stop.

Princess Anne is facing 4th & 13 from their own 44 with 4:14 to play. Nansemond River leads 14-6.

ADVERTISEMENT