ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Ahead To Next Year

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Who are some of the teams that you look to be in the mix? I'll throw in a few.

Auburn - returns all 5 starters. Only lose one senior.

Parry McCluer - returns the entire team

Colonial Beach - Return Jett, Lucas, Courtney and Pietras.

Mathews - Returns Caleb Thomas and Nasir Thomas

Lancaster - Returns 4 starters

Northwood - Will be led by Eli Carter
Twin Springs - Have 2 promising rising sophomores
Honaker - Have Grayson Honaker back
George Wythe always seems to be in the mix

Eastside- lose a lot, but have before and made a run. Don't count out a Damron coached team

Grundy - Lose just about everyone, but do return Cade Looney and his little brother will be a freshman. Jv team won the district.

Surry - They took their lumps this year, but will return the favor next year.

This is off the top of my head. Feel free to add any others.

Great article as always, and I agree with your assessment. Can’t believe it’s over and the way it ended! AAU will be postponed due to this virus, going to be a LONGGGGG summer until football begins! Let’s not be strangers, keep everyone informed and let’s start a thread just to see how one another are! As my Medical Student older son says, be smart, vigilant, and WASH YOUR HANDS!

Great article as always, and I agree with your assessment. Can’t believe it’s over and the way it ended! AAU will be postponed due to this virus, going to be a LONGGGGG summer until football begins! Let’s not be strangers, keep everyone informed and let’s start a thread just to see how one another are! As my Medical Student older son says, be smart, vigilant, and WASH YOUR HANDS!
It definitely was a tough way to end the season. Basketball season is my time to just be a fan, although I have coached before and actually turned down a coaching job this year. The spring is normally filled with softball with my daughter, but all of that has been put on hold for now. I'll post in the fall, but because I'm a coach, I usually only post scores and don't offer much else, although at the moment, I'm not certain that I will be coaching anywhere next season. I'll leave that in the hands of the man above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike777VSP
kwhsfan:

Thanks for that preview........scary though it may be. If my Gladiators are able to return to the state tournament for a fourth straight year, it will require some JV players growing up fast. We were a senior dominated team this year and that generally means that you face a rebuilding year the next year. We will have one proven scorer back in Adam Painter and a couple of others who played some decent minutes but for the most part our level of success will depend on the growth of those JVs. However they (the JVS) had some size this year, and I can think of three guys on the team that scored 20 or more at least once this season. So I won't rule out a big year for the Big Red but I don't think we will be able to measure up to the quality you described above.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Mathews will return four starters and 2 players off the bench who saw a lot of time.
Thank you sir. I wasn't sure of the returning starters, so I didn't want to post something that was inaccurate. I knew they returned the Thomas kids and were losing the Williams kid.

Reactions: NKU Quiet one
Who are some of the teams that you look to be in the mix? I'll throw in a few.

Auburn - returns all 5 starters. Only lose one senior.

Parry McCluer - returns the entire team

Colonial Beach - Return Jett, Lucas, Courtney and Pietras.

Mathews - Returns Caleb Thomas and Nasir Thomas

Lancaster - Returns 4 starters

Northwood - Will be led by Eli Carter
Twin Springs - Have 2 promising rising sophomores
Honaker - Have Grayson Honaker back
George Wythe always seems to be in the mix

Eastside- lose a lot, but have before and made a run. Don't count out a Damron coached team

Grundy - Lose just about everyone, but do return Cade Looney and his little brother will be a freshman. Jv team won the district.

Surry - They took their lumps this year, but will return the favor next year.

This is off the top of my head. Feel free to add any others.
Mathews returns starters Caleb Thomas, Nasir Thomas, and Landon Green...they lose senior starters Christian Williams and Braden Hunley....there may be some confusion about starters as sophomore Brandon Gandee would replace Green or Hunley in the starting lineup from time to time....key bench players returning are Jackson Putt and La'Vontae Legette.....there will be a number of talented JV players that are rising juniors who will join the varsity next year.....

Mike, Is the big boy going to play baseball?

He was! Don’t think there will be any spring sports

I wish they'd just cancel spring sports and then, if there is any time left in the school year once this frenzy calms down, play the basketball state titles.

mike. I know u are keeping up with PM, when are they going to start the b/ball season? if they have 1 at all. Nathan has been telling some of the new rules
Suppose to start on December 7, not certain that will be the case. I think VHSL meeting today, I will let you know what I find out.

Mike, Has anyone been recruiting Spencer hard lately? Would love for to go acc school. Talk to me brother.
He has offers from ODU, Mt Saint Mary’s and Emory and Henry. Wake Forest contacted Coach Cartolaro after he played in a tournament in Richmond. He has received several letters from them in past couple weeks. Coach C said they really like the way he plays and are very interested. HOPEFULLY, 🙏 they get to play. Thanks for asking about him, will keep you updated. STAY SAFE

He has offers from ODU, Mt Saint Mary’s and Emory and Henry. Wake Forest contacted Coach Cartolaro after he played in a tournament in Richmond. He has received several letters from them in past couple weeks. Coach C said they really like the way he plays and are very interested. HOPEFULLY, 🙏 they get to play. Thanks for asking about him, will keep you updated. STAY SAFE
Thanks for answering me. I like to watch big guy play. He is a PM kid and your kid, so that means a lot. Keep me updated please.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT