ADVERTISEMENT

Loss You Never Forget

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Be it a player, coach or fan, there is always that loss that you never forget. That loss that you close your eyes and remember more than any other. In most cases that loss comes in the playoffs but lets take the playoffs out of the equation... what regular season loss do you find it painful to remember?
Maybe it is a game that ended a perfect regular season or knocked you completely out of the playoffs. Maybe it is a loss where your coach was leaving and went out with the L instead of the W. Maybe it was a rivalry loss. Maybe it was a loss due to losing a star on the team.

Whatever the reason we as fans, coaches and players all have that loss that we never forget, what is yours and why?

Two come to mind in regular season for Knight fans. Both to eventual state champs. Both in OT.

2012. Nursing a late lead against Goochland we fumble. They convert a 4th and 17 when freshman Reid Chennault delivers a skip pass to Nathan Adams (the ball bounced but was trapped). Eventually score to send game to OT. They score first to go up 7. Kyree Koonce scores on first play we have the ball and is facemasked so we are now half the distance for the extra point and decide to go for the win where we are stopped on the goal line.

2015: Imagine if the PO1 season in Appomattox started with a loss? Perhaps it should of happened! First game of the 2015 season the eventual back to back to back champs came to the Castle. Knights trail 7-0 in a defensive struggle late. Leon Ragland makes two heroic catches setting up and then scoring the tying touchdown with under a minute to play (feel like it was less than 30 seconds). Appomattox scores in overtime on a reverse to win it 14-7.
Two state champs two overtime losses in the regular season

Fall of 1994, my senior year. Sussex had dominated the district and region since they came to Region A. My senior year, we thought we had a team to beat them. We were lead by 6'3 245 lb RB Kevin Page and also featured freshman Maurice Newbil out of the double wing offense and a defense that gave people fits. Fast forward to the 4th quarter and KW leads 12-6 and has 1st and goal at the Sussex 5 yard line and the home crowd at Sussex had to of been thinking it was our night. But the Sussex defense stood tall and held us, then proceeded to drive 96 yards to win 14-12. Very heartbreaking because our senior class never beat Sussex. We got another crack at them that year in the Region A championship, but we went in overconfident, thinking we should have won the first game and would win the second meeting. Sussex smacked us in the mouth from the get go and won 30-0. It wasn't until many years later that I found out that I played against Marsel Mason aka Sel2 on Preps, and he and I have been good friends for quite a few years. It's hard to believe that has been 25 years ago, but those are memories that will last a lifetime.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Most think Riverheads should be 2A anyway so go ahead!

Lol!

Well, Ridgeview has only been a program for five years, so not a lot of history to go back on. I guess for them it would have to be last year against Union. Down big at half, came all the way back just to come up short in the end.

For Haysi, which is my alma mater and no longer in existence, it would have to be Honaker in 2004. Only loss of the entire season. Went 9-1. But since it was a district game, we lost the district and therefore didn't go to the playoffs as only 4 per region made it then. Yeah, that sucked.

Well actually the Riverheads loss that comes to mind that most fits this thread is a two-part story and it involves another 2-A team, our neighbors from Stuarts Draft. In both 2016 and 2019, the two teams made it through the regular season at 9-0 and faced each other in the regular season finale. Both knew they were going to be headed to playoffs so the games were really as much about bragging rights as they were a district title.

Both games were played at Stuarts Draft and drew incredible media attention and huge crowds. The first one was a brutal, nip and tuck defensive battle that ended regulation play tied at 10. The Gladiators got first possession in the overtime but had to settle for a field goal. The Cougars then won 16-13 on a TD pass.

But last year the Gladiators evened the score in the same situation, but with a decisive 49-14 pounding. Of course I should not speak for Cougar fans and call that the loss they will never forget because it was not necessarily a surprise that Riverheads won, but the margin was the part that would have disappointed Cougars fans the most.

As a Powell Valley guy, it was the 2004 state title game v. Manassas Park. Zach Terrell was such a fantastic QB for them and made all kinds of crazy plays, but PV had a stud too in Brad Robbins. A couple first half injuries and being behind, PV was constantly playing catch up but had one last drive to tie the game and take it to OT, but a miscommunication on a fourth down ended the chances of state title #9 for PV and #8 for Phil.

For Union, it's gotta be 2017 state semis in BSG. The Union defense was absolutely filthy, Appomattox only managed one scoring drive over 25 yards, but they came up huge on special teams and had the lead for most of the game. Without a true QB, it was much harder to catch up but the Bears got within a score and had a last chance to score but just ran out of time. I caught hell but I feel like in both games the better team lost, but that means absolutely nothing. Having the better team does not matter at all, whoever wins that day matters, but having at the very least comparable talent if not more and losing sucks.

As a Powell Valley guy, it was the 2004 state title game v. Manassas Park. Zach Terrell was such a fantastic QB for them and made all kinds of crazy plays, but PV had a stud too in Brad Robbins. A couple first half injuries and being behind, PV was constantly playing catch up but had one last drive to tie the game and take it to OT, but a miscommunication on a fourth down ended the chances of state title #9 for PV and #8 for Phil.

For Union, it's gotta be 2017 state semis in BSG. The Union defense was absolutely filthy, Appomattox only managed one scoring drive over 25 yards, but they came up huge on special teams and had the lead for most of the game. Without a true QB, it was much harder to catch up but the Bears got within a score and had a last chance to score but just ran out of time. I caught hell but I feel like in both games the better team lost, but that means absolutely nothing. Having the better team does not matter at all, whoever wins that day matters, but having at the very least comparable talent if not more and losing sucks.
It was supposed to be a regular season loss bud. Lol

No worries.
Losses that hurt. Not like the thread is blowing up so.....thanks for sharing.

Not like you guys would know much about it recently lol. You guys have lost what, one playoff game in five years?

Two come to mind in regular season for Knight fans. Both to eventual state champs. Both in OT.

2012. Nursing a late lead against Goochland we fumble. They convert a 4th and 17 when freshman Reid Chennault delivers a skip pass to Nathan Adams (the ball bounced but was trapped). Eventually score to send game to OT. They score first to go up 7. Kyree Koonce scores on first play we have the ball and is facemasked so we are now half the distance for the extra point and decide to go for the win where we are stopped on the goal line.

2015: Imagine if the PO1 season in Appomattox started with a loss? Perhaps it should of happened! First game of the 2015 season the eventual back to back to back champs came to the Castle. Knights trail 7-0 in a defensive struggle late. Leon Ragland makes two heroic catches setting up and then scoring the tying touchdown with under a minute to play (feel like it was less than 30 seconds). Appomattox scores in overtime on a reverse to win it 14-7.
Two state champs two overtime losses in the regular season
Man I stood at the goaline in both games. How about the back to back overtime losses at Gretna? The 2011 overtime loss to Goochland? We've definitely had our share of Magical heartbreaks.

2009 and 2010 Gretna’s are both up there but I stuck to regular season. With all the heartbreak the Knights have had I’m sure it made the Page win this year sweeter. Prior to that the last Knights win in OT was 2007 Manassas Park...

Yea. That loss to Radford hurt but I don’t know that we could have beat Graham that year.

That 2018 Graham team was much better than the 2019 team whereas I think Appomattox was much better in 2019 compared to 2018 so I would feel pretty confident Graham would win but prob not as easy as they did v. Radford. They flat out blasted Radford, wasn't even competitive. It was 48-0 at one point near the end of the first half IIRC.

That 2018 Graham team was much better than the 2019 team whereas I think Appomattox was much better in 2019 compared to 2018 so I would feel pretty confident Graham would win but prob not as easy as they did v. Radford. They flat out blasted Radford, wasn't even competitive. It was 48-0 at one point near the end of the first half IIRC.
I watched them dismantle Goochland in Salem.
2018 Raiders were better than they showed at Radford. 5 turnovers and loss by 3 hurt.
BUT like I said, Graham was loaded and it’s was just their year. Don’t know how we would have held up against them.

I watched them dismantle Goochland in Salem.
2018 Raiders were better than they showed at Radford. 5 turnovers and loss by 3 hurt.
BUT like I said, Graham was loaded and it’s was just their year. Don’t know how we would have held up against them.

players like Cameron Allen don’t come through 2A too often. Accounting for 60+ touchdowns and winner defensive player of the year as well... it would’ve took an overly athletic team and a very off night for the G-Men to lose by the end of the season

Reactions: Bo Bob
Yea. That loss to Radford hurt but I don’t know that we could have beat Graham that year.
I refuse to even watch that game again. Appo was not the team they had been all season. What a time for everything to fall apart to a much lesser team.

I refuse to even watch that game again. Appo was not the team they had been all season. What a time for everything to fall apart to a much lesser team.
Won’t say Radford was “much lesser” team but I feel they couldn’t have handled our A game. BUT..... they were the better team that day and that’s what counts.
That loss inspired what we did down the stretch this year I think.

Reactions: oldfool2
Hadn't Radford lost a couple players to injury by the end of the season or am I confusing seasons?

The 2018 Graham team was electric. No team in 2A was beating them. They came to BSG and obliterated a pretty good Union team, getting revenge for the beatdown Union put on them in 2017. Cam Allen won me over that day in 2017 when he took an absolute physical beating from the Union defense and would not quit. He got drilled at least 10 times, a couple were clean shots in the pocket, but He never gave up. After that, I knew Graham would be a problem the next year once he really came into his own at QB.

Hadn't Radford lost a couple players to injury by the end of the season or am I confusing seasons?

The 2018 Graham team was electric. No team in 2A was beating them. They came to BSG and obliterated a pretty good Union team, getting revenge for the beatdown Union put on them in 2017. Cam Allen won me over that day in 2017 when he took an absolute physical beating from the Union defense and would not quit. He got drilled at least 10 times, a couple were clean shots in the pocket, but He never gave up. After that, I knew Graham would be a problem the next year once he really came into his own at QB.

Radford got bit by the injury bug this season.

Radford got bit by the injury bug this season.

I knew it was one of the two. Didn't the Prioleau kid get hurt in 2018 too tho? I thought he was injured before they played Graham. Not that it wouldve mattered, he himself couldn't make up 40 points, but he is a great player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT