ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa at Courtland

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
This game is so important for many reasons:

-It's the season opener, a rivalry, and the team that makes the fewest mistakes likely wins.

-Courtland needs to show they will be back in the state discussion.

-Louisa will need to show they have reloaded and can still compete.

-Courtland will be looking for revenge for losing twice to the Lions last year.

-With a much improved Culpeper facing Eastern View this week, there are very early Region 4B seeding implications.

Courtland RB Zin White is a stud and has bulked up a bit. He will be the guy to key on, especially if the Courtland FB has to sit out. If Louisa can contain White better than last year's playoff game, they can win. The new Lion DBs will have to keep an eye on the pass, though, as Cougar QB Shyheem Lewis is a very capable dual threat.

Courtland has to worry about stopping a multifaceted Lion offense. The new Lions have speed to burn and will look to exploit the Cougar Cover 2 in unique ways. Lion senior QB Robert Allinder, a transfer from Florida but was on the team last year, is a potential Bryce Witt type of player, and is looking to make a name for himself. The Lions have a bunch of athletes who can make plays in space. This Lion core isn't as big as last year's (that's nearly impossible at the high school level), but they are very athletic. If I had to make an early comparison to another big name team, it would be Highland Springs. The key for the Lion offense is if the new offensive line can block Courtland's very stout defensive line.

Hoos, are you comparing Louisas size and speed to Highland Springs or ability (as good as)?

If you are saying Louisa is equitable to Highland Springs talent wise then you need to be saying Courtland has no chance. They are without a doubt the best team in Class 5 and arguably the best in the state. Either way I dont think Louisa loses this game, but the experience of the coaches could play a huge role. Rookie versus cagey veteran.

Guess we shall find out Friday. Huge opener as the loser will likely be looking at a 4th seed or worse come playoff time.

Just comparing the skill players' size and athleticism, not necessarily ability. Time will tell on that front. Just wanted to give folks some sort of idea/picture. HS never has the biggest skill players, but they're very quick and athletic.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedingNavy
Gotcha! How do you think your new coach will do managing a game for the first time? Tough coach to match wits against in the first game.

I think he'll do pretty well. He has called the plays for years now, and he doesn't have to worry much about the defense since our young DC has done the job for a couple of years now. Patrick pretty much will manage games like Fischer did, and Fischer did a good job of letting Patrick act as "head coach" last year. The Lions will still take chances and gamble on 4th downs, blitz, keep their current offensive identity they're known for, pooch kick, etc.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
The only thing that concerns me about louisa is they are replacing 17 or 18 starters from last year. Now I know they have guys who played last year and possibly could have been starters on other teams in the area but i don't care what you did last year, thats so many guys to replace. The guys on the team from last years squad knows what it takes to win some football games so they do have that edge. I really wish i was able to make a scrimmage of theirs to compare the two since i was able to make a courtland scrimmage. The away scrimmages and work got in the way.

The only thing that concerns me about louisa is they are replacing 17 or 18 starters from last year. Now I know they have guys who played last year and possibly could have been starters on other teams in the area but i don't care what you did last year, thats so many guys to replace. The guys on the team from last years squad knows what it takes to win some football games so they do have that edge. I really wish i was able to make a scrimmage of theirs to compare the two since i was able to make a courtland scrimmage. The away scrimmages and work got in the way.

I understand how on paper it would appear Louisa to be down this year based on losing so many starters etc. However, most teams lost 5-6 starters on both sides of the ball. Louisa still is anchored by Brandon Smith and also got 2 key transfers. They have another big back and a nice change of pace speed burner as well. I can tell you when they came to Monacan last year they traveled very well and the community support is outrageous. I don't think they are as good as last years team but I don't think any of the other teams in 4b will be better than their "last years team" either. It is all relative. How many starters is Brandon Smith worth? 2 or 3? Plus the two transfers. Then they are right there with only really losing 5-6 on each side of the ball. Louisa is also one of the few places where participation is up. They will have other role players step up and assume starting roles and be good to go. This first game with Courtland is HUGE for both schools and the 4B region.

I understand how on paper it would appear Louisa to be down this year based on losing so many starters etc. However, most teams lost 5-6 starters on both sides of the ball. Louisa still is anchored by Brandon Smith and also got 2 key transfers. They have another big back and a nice change of pace speed burner as well. I can tell you when they came to Monacan last year they traveled very well and the community support is outrageous. I don't think they are as good as last years team but I don't think any of the other teams in 4b will be better than their "last years team" either. It is all relative. How many starters is Brandon Smith worth? 2 or 3? Plus the two transfers. Then they are right there with only really losing 5-6 on each side of the ball. Louisa is also one of the few places where participation is up. They will have other role players step up and assume starting roles and be good to go. This first game with Courtland is HUGE for both schools and the 4B region.
Fan support makes a big difference. EV and Louisa both filled the Dinwiddie stands

The most laughable comment in the last week Louisa is comparable to highland Springs...I get being a homer but there’s no way you believe those comments yourself. Only player on roster who could compare is Brandon Smith the LB.

@rainman17 reading comprehension can be an issue on here, so I'll repeat what I said: Just comparing the skill players' size and athleticism, not necessarily ability. Time will tell on that front. Just wanted to give folks some sort of idea/picture. HS never has the biggest skill players, but they're very quick and athletic.

And Louisa also has a D1 caliber receiver this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackknight_pride
Skill players are great, but it will come down to the jimmies and the joes. Who has the better lines? I'm assuming Louisa lost a bunch from the numbers people keep talking about? I went against my first judgement and I picked Courtland...mainly because they're playing at home.

Louisa 35
Courtland 14

Score I hope it is because I’m going and would like to see a good game:

Louisa 28
Courtland 24

Doubt they score that many points on Louisa’s defense.

Courtland 34 Louisa 35 in a squeaker , Lions Brandon Smith gets involved in the second half on Offense and shows why he is just not a defensive beast.

Courtland is well conditioned I assure you highschool ball comes down to who has the better overall players year in and out. Who got hit hard by graduation and the skill positions are so vital, QB, RB, WR, and so on! Last year Louisa had the better players the more senior ladden team and was supposed to win both games. Had Ct won either of those games you guys would have been calling it the upset of the century and may have very well been. Louisa has Smith and he alone can carry them through most games, but even with his talent, he will need a rest here and now. Luisa lost 18 starters, even with a transfer or two that would be down to maybe 15 lost if thats how you want to look at it. It is damn hard to lose that talent, leadership and ontop of that bring in a new coach and be successful his first season. Can ghey do it absolutely as Louisa is that type of program. However, look at history, when Fisher last left, will history repeat itself, only time will tell? As for the game, I am perplexed and actually going to call it a toss up and who minimizes mistakes wins. Ct coming in wounded, doubtful our best lineman plays, probably misses at least this week and maybe next. Kamron is 50/50 at best, he can play but how effective can he be? Ct has made it a priority the chuck the rock around this year and you had better watch out for speedster AB, because he will burn several teams this year. I dont know whats going to happen Friday night, we are home and Ct has the much stronger back field even if Kamron is not 100%. So you prognasticators make your decsions.I think back to last years playoff game, Zin had a good night and we moved the ball well at times. Now we have that core back even bigger and stronger going up agianst a much less talented but respected Smith led defense. Saw a bunch of Louisa players at the Orange scrimmage the other night. Should be a fantastic highschool game either way.

Skill players are great, but it will come down to the jimmies and the joes. Who has the better lines? I'm assuming Louisa lost a bunch from the numbers people keep talking about? I went against my first judgement and I picked Courtland...mainly because they're playing at home.
That's what I'm most anxious about, the battle in the trenches. Depending on who ends up starting on Louisa's offensive line, it could only be two returnees, but there won't be a lack of size. The line shouldn't have anyone less than 250 lbs, but will probably average closer to 280.

Really ? Shauntclair?! You all are sticking with this ? Not feeling it ? Shaunty was out there , but I don’t remember him misspelling words and knowing specific players . Y’all are reaching

Courtland is well conditioned I assure you highschool ball comes down to who has the better overall players year in and out. Who got hit hard by graduation and the skill positions are so vital, QB, RB, WR, and so on! Last year Louisa had the better players the more senior ladden team and was supposed to win both games. Had Ct won either of those games you guys would have been calling it the upset of the century and may have very well been. Louisa has Smith and he alone can carry them through most games, but even with his talent, he will need a rest here and now. Luisa lost 18 starters, even with a transfer or two that would be down to maybe 15 lost if thats how you want to look at it. It is damn hard to lose that talent, leadership and ontop of that bring in a new coach and be successful his first season. Can ghey do it absolutely as Louisa is that type of program. However, look at history, when Fisher last left, will history repeat itself, only time will tell? As for the game, I am perplexed and actually going to call it a toss up and who minimizes mistakes wins. Ct coming in wounded, doubtful our best lineman plays, probably misses at least this week and maybe next. Kamron is 50/50 at best, he can play but how effective can he be? Ct has made it a priority the chuck the rock around this year and you had better watch out for speedster AB, because he will burn several teams this year. I dont know whats going to happen Friday night, we are home and Ct has the much stronger back field even if Kamron is not 100%. So you prognasticators make your decsions.I think back to last years playoff game, Zin had a good night and we moved the ball well at times. Now we have that core back even bigger and stronger going up agianst a much less talented but respected Smith led defense. Saw a bunch of Louisa players at the Orange scrimmage the other night. Should be a fantastic highschool game either way.

It sounds like you think this is a 50/50 game... you won’t pick Courtland? Come on man, put your chips in the center of the table. Your at home with a shot at redemption! Your seriously not picking CT in this one???

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Here is the problem Courtland has to deal with , it doesn’t matter how many players Louisa lost on defense . When you have true special player like Louisa has , he becomes the leader much more even than the coach , he will not let young players fail at the new job they have . A special player makes everyone else around him better .Smith will be the difference , and they will need him on Offense later in the year , maybe not this game.

Reactions: mbonape1
Louisa 35
Courtland 14

Score I hope it is because I’m going and would like to see a good game:

Louisa 28
Courtland 24

Doubt they score that many points on Louisa’s defense.
It'll be your first time there right? Definitely get there early. Parking isn't even the best normally, but it'll definitely be tough with the mentioned construction taking up space.

Fully agree with you there, but here is the difference. Last year Smith did not have to teach, get people in the right positions or be a leader because of who he had with him. This year all that has changed, he has to think more, he cannot just cut loose and make plays, there is an era of difference this year that they will have to deal with. How much difference do trully think that will make or not all? I will pick Ct 28-21 at home, scoring more via the pass than run!

Yes lots of construction going on, adding onto the school. Lots of trailrrs all over and equipment, most of parking lot is open, but you have to maneuver around. I would park closer to the entrance by smith station rd, short walk and you get out quicker.

Smith called the defenses at times the last two years. There was only 1 returning starter on the D line last year and that was Tony Thurston. The rest of the defense never started at all. C'mon man! Smith is used to this situation now. :confused:

Last edited:
@rainman17 reading comprehension can be an issue on here, so I'll repeat what I said: Just comparing the skill players' size and athleticism, not necessarily ability. Time will tell on that front. Just wanted to give folks some sort of idea/picture. HS never has the biggest skill players, but they're very quick and athletic.

And Louisa also has a D1 caliber receiver this year.

I don’t see Louisa having the same or comparable athleticism to Highland Springs. If that’s the case we could make the same argument for a lot of marginal teams like john Marshall and others have those same types of credentials, but who am I think what you would like reality will set in very soon.

Highland Springs doesn’t have one player on Brandon Smith’s level. Now they have some guys being recruited by big schools but again...Brandon Smith is a once in a generation player. I have no problem with what Hoos said. It’s being taken out of context.

The same thing was said about Curtis Grant (Hermitage) and we saw how he panned out, I wish the kid nothing but the best but when you get to the next level there’s a difference in quality of play and style of play. Some players aren’t cut for certain conferences, Big 10 is physical football with Big lineman who come down hill, blue collar style football, think Wisconsin and Iowa and etc whom aren’t the best teams but the beat you up in the trenches and in the box consistently. Again I’d like to see him flourish but only time will tell, rankings are exactly what they are rankings, they hold no bearing on what actually happens on the field. There are several top ranked recruits who don’t pan out as they were hyped. I’m just here to temper expectations and let the kid go there and compete without people painting him as the next best thing and then be perplexed if he doesn’t meet what people believe he could’ve been.

@rainman17 I doubt you've seen Louisa this year. Are you saying a team like Louisa, that just went on a state run and would've beaten Highland Springs last year (just like Salem and the other top four Region 4B teams from last year would've), is a "marginal" team like John Marshall now? LMAO. Keep the Haterade stocked.

Brandon Smith is a whole different animal from Curtis Grant. For cryin' out loud, he's already 6' 4" 228 lbs before starting his senior season, runs and pursues like a deer and hits like a mack truck. Talk about the best laughs of the week! And at least Curtis Grant can say he got a free Ohio State degree, a National Championship, played in the NFL and owns a car dealership. How many people can say that?
Haterade.png

Last edited:
The same thing was said about Curtis Grant (Hermitage) and we saw how he panned out, I wish the kid nothing but the best but when you get to the next level there’s a difference in quality of play and style of play. Some players aren’t cut for certain conferences, Big 10 is physical football with Big lineman who come down hill, blue collar style football, think Wisconsin and Iowa and etc whom aren’t the best teams but the beat you up in the trenches and in the box consistently. Again I’d like to see him flourish but only time will tell, rankings are exactly what they are rankings, they hold no bearing on what actually happens on the field. There are several top ranked recruits who don’t pan out as they were hyped. I’m just here to temper expectations and let the kid go there and compete without people painting him as the next best thing and then be perplexed if he doesn’t meet what people believe he could’ve been.
You sound ridiculous dude. You act like Curtis Grant didn’t start on the National Championship team or play in the NFL.

Reactions: WP02alum
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought last year he was ranked in top 10 or something close nationally. I was reading the other day and he was like 58 or something and 2 VA kids ahead of him.

Not trying to knock the young man at all, everyone knows that is not my style, but did I read wrong last year or did he drop? If so, anyone know why?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought last year he was ranked in top 10 or something close nationally. I was reading the other day and he was like 58 or something and 2 VA kids ahead of him.

Not trying to knock the young man at all, everyone knows that is not my style, but did I read wrong last year or did he drop? If so, anyone know why?

I think he was like top 3 at his position maybe even number 1... generally the number 1 is going to be an offensive player. He is a hell of a player regardless

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT