ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa Question

Oct 2, 2009
Hey all,

As someone who is new to this board this year and not from Louisa, why do the Lions generate so much interest on the board? Is it all related to HoosFan? I mean the Courtland vs. Louisa post has twice as many posts as all of the other matchups. Most of them are simply people talking about how Louisa isn't really that good or how EV is better. I'm just curious what causes it. Anyway I've enjoy the fun on here this year.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Hey all,

As someone who is new to this board this year and not from Louisa, why do the Lions generate so much interest on the board? Is it all related to HoosFan? I mean the Courtland vs. Louisa post has twice as many posts as all of the other matchups. Most of them are simply people talking about how Louisa isn't really that good or how EV is better. I'm just curious what causes it. Anyway I've enjoy the fun on here this year.
Who knows. It was a shame that someone obviously hacked into HoosFan's account and made the most ridiculous and asinine statements under his name. I've never seen such stupidity, so it was OBVIOUSLY hacked.

Louisa has been good for years. I mean that's what Hoos has been telling us for as long as I can remember. Nevermind the evidence to the contrary. I mean if the ball just bounced differently, or if the play calling was better, or if the team would stop turning the ball over, or if the refs didn't make such bad calls, OR IF....

Earlier in the year he said if they had beaten Monacan last year they would be going for a repeat championship this year. I think in the last 10 years they've won 1 playoff game. Louisa may win it all this year or maybe they'll get bounced in the 2nd round. The point is I think most posters are tired of Hoos propaganda and the 1 man Louisa hype machine. I don't think that wolf will ever materialize.

gtidepride, don't think anyone dislikes the Louisa Lions football team, in fact, many of us have put Coach Fisher in our prayers for the past two years. The Walen young man has been through a ton as well and is a true inspiration. Louisa is a good team and deserves the recognition they receive.

I will not talk about someone who is apparently not on the board to defend themselves, but I will say most of the animosity directed towards Louisa posters is a direct result of crazy and unsubstantiated predictions of success. Not just this year, but several years before. Accepting losses without the "if" factor and failing to acknowledge you were beaten by a better team always seems to be the case. I know that I am personally guilty of overly questioning the Lions program, but statistics don't lie. Will Louisa win it all this year? With their talent, motivation to send their beloved coach out with a title and senior leadership they certainly have a good shot.

Courtland and Louisa have a long history and most of the other games have none. The unknown versus the rivalry is the sole reason for influx of post about the aforementioned game. Its nothing more deep than that. I can say I appreciated your perceived sarcasm regarding your thoughts about the Louisa and Courtland game in the other post.

Louisa has been good for years. I mean that's what Hoos has been telling us for as long as I can remember. Nevermind the evidence to the contrary. I mean if the ball just bounced differently, or if the play calling was better, or if the team would stop turning the ball over, or if the refs didn't make such bad calls, OR IF....

Earlier in the year he said if they had beaten Monacan last year they would be going for a repeat championship this year. I think in the last 10 years they've won 1 playoff game. Louisa may win it all this year or maybe they'll get bounced in the 2nd round. The point is I think most posters are tired of Hoos propaganda and the 1 man Louisa hype machine. I don't think that wolf will ever materialize.

That makes sense. I agree the legacy of Louisa is way over done. They essentially had one good run 11 years ago. The rest of the time has been nothing but disappointment in the playoffs for them. To consider them an elite program in VA is outrageous. They are not in the same universe as Salem, Dinwiddie, Sherando, etc...that have showed sustained greatness. Personally I think all high school teams and fans should just enjoy the run. Only one team in each class gets to end the season with a win otherwise you are left with a what if.

I do not think Louisa would have won a state title last year. I think if healthy they would have given Monacan a much better game and maybe won. They would not have beaten Dinwiddie and probably can't this year either. But as they say you play to win the game and as a former coach all you ever really want is a chance to measure yourself against the best.

In looking at Louisa in the future I think the next coaching regime will do a better job of developing not only runners but passers in order to achieve balance. Because while Louisa can most years "run over" the rest of the JD, that approach stops against the best teams in the state that will shut you down if you are one-dimensional.

Thanks for the response Mike.

Hey all,

Keep in mind, there are only about 4 or 5 people that generate 90% of the stuff on this site. It's always going to be slanted one way or another.

gtidepride, don't think anyone dislikes the Louisa Lions football team, in fact, many of us have put Coach Fisher in our prayers for the past two years. The Walen young man has been through a ton as well and is a true inspiration. Louisa is a good team and deserves the recognition they receive.

I will not talk about someone who is apparently not on the board to defend themselves, but I will say most of the animosity directed towards Louisa posters is a direct result of crazy and unsubstantiated predictions of success. Not just this year, but several years before. Accepting losses without the "if" factor and failing to acknowledge you were beaten by a better team always seems to be the case. I know that I am personally guilty of overly questioning the Lions program, but statistics don't lie. Will Louisa win it all this year? With their talent, motivation to send their beloved coach out with a title and senior leadership they certainly have a good shot.

Courtland and Louisa have a long history and most of the other games have none. The unknown versus the rivalry is the sole reason for influx of post about the aforementioned game. Its nothing more deep than that. I can say I appreciated your perceived sarcasm regarding your thoughts about the Louisa and Courtland game in the other post.

As for most things in life, the simple and obvious answer is usually the right one. The winner is usually the better team. Last year Monacan was better, the year before Hanover was better, the year before Woodgrove was better. I will say I think this Louisa team is better than the past 3 but not among the elite in the state. I hope they get a chance to compete against the best because that is the only true way to measure yourself.

the problem is that this is a message board where anyone can share their feelings regardless of if there is fact to it. With that being said I will state my opinion.
Forget about years past and what has been said. We tend to base the present on the past which is what is done on here. Louisa has the best team in the schools history this year. How they size up against Dinwiddie, Monacan, and EV will play out in the next couple weeks. To quote a great coach (Tim Coleman) "there are 3 phases of the game and you have to win 2 of them to have a chance win the game." I live in Mineral and have watched them the past 3 seasons. They were good last year but the difference this year is that they put their best players on defense and, on special teams, they are 100% better than last year mainly because they have a kicker. So they are winning at 3 phases instead of one as that was the case last year. ALSO, I have seen EV. They are an excellent football team that is good at all 3 phases of the game. They are pounding people for that reason. I was more impressed with their defense and special teams than their offense. I haven't seen Dinwiddie or Monacan this year so I will not comment on them however with what I have read and seen on highlights I believe these 4 teams are as good as anyone regardless of classification and it is a shame only 1 of them will make it out of the region.

All of what I have said is talk and that is cheap. People post on here because they are fans of their team and think their team is the best. It is all in good fun and should be looked at it that. People get too upset when others disagree with them.

As for most things in life, the simple and obvious answer is usually the right one. The winner is usually the better team. Last year Monacan was better, the year before Hanover was better, the year before Woodgrove was better. I will say I think this Louisa team is better than the past 3 but not among the elite in the state. I hope they get a chance to compete against the best because that is the only true way to measure yourself.
I agree that the "program" at Louisa is not Elite however judging this years "team" alone they are among the elite in 4A

Can't disagree with anything you said. Since you said you are not from Louisa and new to the board (says you joined in 2009) I must say I am impressed with your familiarity of the Lions history and the preps board in general. In all honesty, I get the sense you are trying very hard to remain humble, but are using sarcasm to down play how you really think. Good post though.

Can't disagree with anything you said. Since you said you are not from Louisa and new to the board (says you joined in 2009) I must say I am impressed with your familiarity of the Lions history and the preps board in general. In all honesty, I get the sense you are trying very hard to remain humble, but are using sarcasm to down play how you really think. Good post though.
what I posted is what I really think. no hidden agenda here. I have been on this board since I coached at Spotsy in the early 2000's (changed my handle when I stopped coaching 7 years ago). HS football has been a part of my life since I was 8 when Courtland High opened in 1980. I played at Courtland and Chancellor and coached for 12 years serving as a JV coach, D Coordinator (at Spotsy) up to head varsity coach (KG 2002-04). All in the Fredericksburg area. SO as far as high school football "history" is concerned in the Fredburg area I know my stuff ;).

Sorry OG, I was referring to gtide. We were typing at the same time lol. Please look at the post above you will see. I have enjoyed your post for years.

Reactions: og charger
Its all good. Lord knows I don't need anymore enemies. I was very impressed with the progress of the Chancellor team this season. Seems like you guys found a solid coach and the future is bright. It will take some time, but you guys will be back in the mix soon. Its hard to replace the studs you had last season.

I try to be
Its all good. Lord knows I don't need anymore enemies. I was very impressed with the progress of the Chancellor team this season. Seems like you guys found a solid coach and the future is bright. It will take some time, but you guys will be back in the mix soon. Its hard to replace the studs you had last season.
Coach Glessner is a good coach. They did a great job of staying focused and not quitting. I was surprised they won the last 3 games going by what I saw and how the first 7 played out but they kept it going in the right direction. They will be ok in a few years. This middle school was undefeated I believe and the JV wasn't bad.

I created an account in 2009 but my first post was this year. I’ve been in and out of the Cville area over the last decade. Born and raised in PA, have moved around since college and coached for 7 years at a school in the JD in the early 2000s. Prefer to remain anonymous so I don’t get any personal attacks. Played football my whole life, including some college ball (not a baller by any stretch), then have coached on and off when my schedule allows it. I have some family that live in Louisa and have nieces and nephews in school there. That post was no sarcasm. How I honestly feel. The Courtland post you referenced earlier you called correctly. I think the Louisa squad is one level below the Dinwiddie and Salem’s of the world but could beat them if a few things broke their way. Thanks for all the answers to the question as I now have a much better sense of the Louisa dynamic on preps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT